Should public money finance applied research?

Has science taken a wrong turn? If so, what corrections are needed? Chronicles of scientific misbehavior. The role of heretic-pioneers and forbidden questions in the sciences. Is peer review working? The perverse "consensus of leading scientists." Good public relations versus good science.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Just a quick blurb for those that might be interested. This live debate with Hauer from CERN, who will obviously come in swinging his Higgs, occurs tomorrow (no time given that I could find). Above and/or below guest Rolf-Dieter Heuer's section of the page the reader comments are interesting as well as the pro and con rebuttal statements from the other guest:

"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

Plasmatic

Re: Should public money finance applied research?

Unread post by Plasmatic » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:21 am

One does not have to watch the vid (though I will) to answer this question because it's a philosophical question pertaining to ethics and politics. NO, because the redistribution of wealth (theft via forced taxation) is not the moral job of government. I know you probably were looking for a different angle though..:)
"Logic is the art of non-contradictory identification"......" I am therefore Ill think"
Ayn Rand
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Aristotle

Ameer hamza

Re: Should public money finance applied research?

Unread post by Ameer hamza » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:55 am

if you asking that should public money spend on research?.For this we have to read the minds of people we cant get money from people by forcing them.but in order to compare with electric universe,public money should spend on research.