Fairy Tale Physics

Has science taken a wrong turn? If so, what corrections are needed? Chronicles of scientific misbehavior. The role of heretic-pioneers and forbidden questions in the sciences. Is peer review working? The perverse "consensus of leading scientists." Good public relations versus good science.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

marengo

Fairy Tale Physics

Unread post by marengo » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:37 am

I recommend you read 'Farewll to Reality' by Jim Baggot. He calls modern physics 'fairy tale physics'

Here is a list of my own choice of Fairy tale physics:-
1)Einstein's Space-Time
2) String theory
3)Cosmic expansion
4)The Big Bang
5) Black Holes
6) Dark Matter
7) Dark Energy

Please add your own ideas to the list or comment on my choices.
http://www.aetherpages.com
A series of scientific papers on the new Aether physics.

Michael V

Re: Fairy Tale Physics

Unread post by Michael V » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:49 pm

There are many spurious and downright erroneous concepts labelled as physics, that perhaps after objective analysis might be found to be better labelled as fairy tale.
I agree with the list so far; here is another one, well worthy of inclusion:

- The Aether

marengo

Unread post by marengo » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:05 am

Michael V wrote:There are many spurious and downright erroneous concepts labelled as physics, that perhaps after objective analysis might be found to be better labelled as fairy tale.

- The Aether
I will defend the Aether to my death!!
Anyone who criticizes it, such as your self above, should at least have the guts to explain why.

I find this a common problem with posters on this site. They say some theory is wrong, or they are not convinced by it, rather like they were commenting on a political manifest.
Look, we are talking physics here!! Either you find a mathematical or logical flaw with a theory or you dont. If you do find a flaw you may then criticize the theory for it. BUT YOU MUST SAY WHAT THAT FLAW IS.
If you cannot find a flaw or refuse to describe it then do not criticize.
Otherwise it is you who are showing the flaw; in your character.

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:22 am

-The Photon
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

marengo

Unread post by marengo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:30 am

To Gary N
I must confess that I do not understand the photon.
The photon is considered to be a packet of energy the level of which is determined by its frequency. it is considered to be an electromagnetic wave.

Now what I can say about it is that it is NOT an electromagnetic wave. It is a wave of electric potential.
I say this because neither the electric force nor the magnetic force are fundamental physical phenomena.
But that alone does not get us very far.

The problem is that I think no-one knows what a photon is. So it is a bit early to call current ideas 'fairy tale physics'.

Zyxzevn

Unread post by Zyxzevn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:33 am

The Multiverse

Virtual Photons
More ** from zyxzevn at: Paradigm change and C@

SleestackVII

Unread post by SleestackVII » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:29 am

This article might help one understand the photon and its "paradoxical" behavior.

http://milesmathis.com/super.html

RayTomes

Unread post by RayTomes » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:59 pm

marengo wrote:I recommend you read 'Farewll to Reality' by Jim Baggot. He calls modern physics 'fairy tale physics'

Here is a list of my own choice of Fairy tale physics:-
1)Einstein's Space-Time
2) String theory
3)Cosmic expansion
4)The Big Bang
5) Black Holes
6) Dark Matter
7) Dark Energy

Please add your own ideas to the list or comment on my choices.
I agree with you except that I think 1) can be sensibly understood if phrased slightly differently.
Ray Tomes
Web site : YouTube : Blog

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Nebular collapse in forming solar systems is a fairy tale. It cannot happen.

Reticon

Unread post by Reticon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:35 pm

I second the defense of aether. The rudimentary theories were prematurely eradicated by inadequately designed experiments that made far too many assumptions about how such a concept must behave. In hindsight it may well have been a precursor to plasma and EU itself. The big mistake with MM was to assume that matter had no effect at all on the otherwise undetectable substance. If it were less a "wind" and more just a "substance" (perhaps not even classifiable as matter) then we could have imagined that it would tend to settle around matter rather than ignore it altogether. Vibrations move through water whether the water is moving or not. So it seems fairly obvious that if space is full of "something" then that something may well exist in different concentrations or states of flow, charge.... etc... So we should have never assumed that it must be a wind that permeates matter, or that it could not possibly rotate with the planet and exist in different layers and concentrations. What's worse is to make such terrible assumptions only to settle on such an absurd concept as "Wave–particle duality" so I also second the addition of photon to the list.

MrAmsterdam

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Time travellers theory
http://arxiv.org/abs/1312.7128

Searching the Internet for evidence of time travelers

No time travelers were discovered. Although these negative results do not disprove time travel, given the great reach of the Internet, this search is perhaps the most comprehensive to date.
What a disappointment!
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:17 pm

I second the defense of aether.
The best defense of the Aether I have come across is is in a book entitled "Revolution in Physics" by Bahram Katirai. He also does the best critique of Albert Einstein I have seen,using some good logic and references to many articles published by some well known scientists. It is clearly shown that Einstein outright stole, or in many cases twisted the meaning of the works of many famous scientists in order to disprove the Aether, including the M-M experiments. In that respect, he says that the Earth drags Aether just as it does the atmosphere, so no Aether wind was detectable at ground level, and only a small value for the wind at mountain-top level. He believed a proper detection of the Aether would require being outside of the magnetosphere.
The book is not available from the publisher any more, but there are still a couple of web pages up:

Albert Einstein - The Fraud of the Century
http://home.ipoline.com/~noor/news_rel.htm
Some Highlights of "Revolution in Physics"
http://home.ipoline.com/~noor/hilights.htm
As to some of his other ideas, such as the electron having a 'moon', I'm still thinking on that one.
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:57 pm

I also defend aether.

The universe has to have some sort of boarder (container) if space is a partial vacuum. A pure vacuum is the absence of matter (nothing or no thing) characterized by extreme low pressure and temperature.

If you suck the liquid out of an airtight plastic bottle, the bottle will collapse. A glass bottle (stronger container) will last longer before it shatters from the difference in pressure.

Space has to be some "thing" that is preventing the universe from collapsing in on itself. That "thing" has many different names: aether, space foam, Planck particles, firmament, etc.... I call it "the heaven" from Genesis 1:1.

If an airtight room is built and every "thing" is pumped out of it, it will eventually collapse. Space has to be something.

On another note: If a frog turns into a prince instantaneously, we call it a fairytale; if over millions of years: evolution. However, its obvious that we evolved from a frog because we all eventually croak.

Michael V

Unread post by Michael V » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:37 am

Obviously, vacuum space is occupied by non-matter (where matter = electrons and protons) substance. This is should the most primary observation of any physicist as it is proved with absolute certainty by the various phenomena of action-at-a-distance.

I more specifically define the ill-considered "Aether" as a medium through which oscillatory waves travel. For the most part we have 19th theorists to blame for this bad idea.

Michael

Michael V

Unread post by Michael V » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:47 am

jtb,
jtb wrote:The universe has to have some sort of boarder (container) if space is a partial vacuum. A pure vacuum is the absence of matter (nothing or no thing) characterized by extreme low pressure and temperature.
As you say, vacuum is defined as the absence of matter. However, the absence of matter does not in any way imply "nothing" or "nothingness". And pressure and temperature are simply degrees of matter travel and density. The notion that vacuum implies a border or container to the universe is a rather peculiar conclusion.

The most overwhelmingly certain fact about the universe, of which we can have the most supreme confidence, is that vacuum space is not empty. All and any experiment that demonstrates action-at-a-distance is proof perfect of this fact. This undeniable truth should be the starting point of any fundamental physical theory.

Michael