Saturn’s Auroral Oval/March 29, 2012 by Stephen Smith

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Sparky

Re: Saturn’s Auroral Oval/March 29, 2012 by Stephen Smith

Unread post by Sparky » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:07 am

Sparky, even your impaired box should be able to manage this.
My impairments have been modified. I am now on cable broadband with a dell gx270@3g, w/2g ram. :D

Mental impairment remains unchanged.. :cry:

But now i can see images and video's ! :D

Pictures! I need pictures! :oops:
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:15 am

Jim, thanks for the links...I'm working on them! ;)
http://ciclops.org/?js=1
With a 200-day interval of intense, hissing convection, it holds the record as the longest-lasting Saturn-encircling storm ever.
Was that hissing heard in mono or stereo? ;)
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

jjohnson

Unread post by jjohnson » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Mono. Stereo in audio is based on time (and phase) differences between two separated receivers, such as microphones or ears.

In this case, it would have taken two radio receivers many wavelengths apart to come up with enough signal difference to make any audible difference and be perceived as a stereo difference, after being converted into audio signals. This is a lot like converting into false color when you want to change a received EM signal into one which our senses, at least eyes and ears, can then observe in a familiar format. Radio waves are not a familiar format. Hiss, incidentally, is partly a case of of a lot of different, near-simultaneous, fairly high frequency energy sources scattered along some line of disturbance, somewhat analogous to a line of cars in a long stretch of crowded traffic. Point a L-R stereo microphone pair at a string of traffic and listen to the playback and you can't tell the position of one single car in it unless it is radiating markedly different sound from the nearby vehicles. Record a pin-pong match from the side of the table with the same setup and you can close your eyes and practically "watch" the game in your head. Long transmission line sources are not good candidates for stereo reproduction.

As an exercise, look up "whistlers" in conjunction with, say, "plasma waves" and see what the explanation for those "sounds" is. Lotta research into that stuff.

Jim

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:07 am

As an exercise, look up "whistlers" in conjunction with, say, "plasma waves" and see what the explanation for those "sounds" is. Lotta research into that stuff.
I've heard them, i think...TROPO, at a radar site. Sounded like seagulls to me... :D

The meteorite that was on the news yesterday may have "hissed" :D .