Potholes

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

GaryN

Potholes

Unread post by GaryN » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:25 pm

We have lots of potholes on Vancouver Island. These are just a mile from where I live.
http://www.sookepotholes.com/photo-sooke_potholes.html
Also we have them on the shoreline at Botanical Beach, a little further up the coast. At Botanical, when we get a low enough tide, there are some rock outcrops that have been pounded relentlesly for perhaps thousands of years, but still retain their pointy, sharp edged shapes. On closer inspection, they are as hard as glass. There is no doubt in my mind how they were formed.
Google image search:
http://www.google.ca/search?pq=sooke+po ... a=N&tab=wi
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

GaryN

Re: Potholes

Unread post by GaryN » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:07 pm

Previous post in regards to Glacial Potholes:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2011/11 ... -potholes/
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

Kapriel

Unread post by Kapriel » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Actually, it's true-- rocks get caught in shallow depressions and the water continues to swirl them in circles until the pits become deeper and wider. You can stand there knee-deep in the icy water up on the American River in California and watch it happening in granite, right now, real-time. The size of the depression depends on the volume and velocity of the water.
Doubt is not proof.

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:11 pm

I can't imagine how a process like that could ever get started. A tiny rock somehow
defies a river and gets stuck in a dimple, moves in a circle, and wears away a
granite river bed, and then a bigger rock, and on up? You're kidding me? :D
I don't doubt rocks will get stuck in an existing hole though, and likely enlarge it.
You'd have to see some of the contortions and shapes of the rock along the Sooke river
and all the creeks leading into it as it climbs up between the hills, to appreciate the
energetic implications.
The potholes at the beach locations have vertical sides, and at the bottom and on
the sides there is all kinds of delicate life, even though they have tides crashing
over them. Not much abrasion going on there either.
I feel fairly certain now that this area underwent a dramatic transformation at the end
of the last ice age, and the hills and mountains, and rivers and creeks, the often
melted looking formations and vitrified peaks and outcrops, the pieces all fit.
That makes me wonder then about the whole of the western mountain chain. One event,
or the accumulation from cyclic events, naturally attracted to the higher ground?