Brown Dwarfs (including Jupiter and Saturn)

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Xuxalina Rihhia

Brown Dwarfs (including Jupiter and Saturn)

Unread post by Xuxalina Rihhia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:18 pm

I think a dedicated topic or two should be written about brown dwarfs such as how they shine, why they produce huge plasma sheaths that glow, why they produce so much blue light when their blackbody temperature would indicate that next to no blue light should be emitted.
Brown dwarfs have been discussed before, but only briefly.

Also, we could use a discussion of why they are what they are as well as supplying paintings of how they look and images of their spectra in the visible wavelengths. Just my thoughts.

Sparky

Re: Brown Dwarfs (including Jupiter and Saturn)

Unread post by Sparky » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:56 am

Coldest Brown Dwarfs Blur Lines between Stars and Planets

A new study shows that while these brown dwarfs, sometimes called failed stars, are indeed the coldest known free-floating celestial bodies, they are warmer than previously thought with temperatures about 250-350 degrees Fahrenheit.

"If one of these objects were found orbiting a star, there is a good chance that it would be called a planet," says Trent Dupuy, a Hubble Fellow at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. But because they probably formed on their own and not in a proto-planetary disk, astronomers still call these objects brown dwarfs even if they are "planetary mass."
For years, astronomers have known about a class of tiny stars they called brown dwarfs(named this because they’re unusually small and dim compared to most stars). But new research confirms that the stars are planet-sized—and also planet-like

They also discovered that, unlike normal stars, a brown dwarf’s temperature doesn’t correspond very strongly to its light. With these guys, what you see isn’t what you get.
:? will leave the high tech stuff for others... :oops:
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Xuxalina Rihhia

Unread post by Xuxalina Rihhia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:29 pm

Is this how Saturn (as a brown dwarf) or any brown dwarf would look like from the outside of its plasmasphere?
Attachments
Planets outside Saturn's plasmasphere-sm.jpg

BronzeDragon

Unread post by BronzeDragon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:34 pm

This is interesting! I posted the question on a Facebook Astronomy group about why Saturn and Jupiter are not considered to be brown dwarfs. Will be interesting to see if I get any responses.

What about the other gas giants, Neptune and Uranus? They are very similar in circumference, color, composition, surface area--almost everything except for axial tilt. They both have rings and numerous moons. Should they be considered brown dwarfs, too, or just really gassy planets? There doesn't seem to be any clear delineation between the two.
"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." (Douglas Adams, "The Salmon of Doubt")