TPOD by Tom Wilson, A New Look at Near Neighbors

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

jjohnson

TPOD by Tom Wilson, A New Look at Near Neighbors

Unread post by jjohnson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:15 am

Thanks, Tom, for bringing Tony Peratt's work to the attention of the readers. I'm looking forward to Part 2, and more if there will be follow-ups on this subject.

For you readers generally, this is very basic, useful stuff, if you are unfamiliar with Peratt's papers, articles and his textbook, Physics of the Plasma Universe, or just new to the EU. Do click on Tom's links, as they provide more detailed insight into what the TPOD is covering. Collecting Peratt's papers and acquiring a copy of his text were among the very first steps I undertook when I accidentally stumbled onto the Thunderbolts site. Reading TPODs like this are part of the great tutorial offered by the EU on this site. If you are at all curious and excited by the ideas you find here, you'll want to "know everything".

That will take a little work on your part. I barely came from a science-y background (applied acoustics, not astrophysics!) That meant re-learning and reviewing a lot of my old science courses in chemistry and physics and brushing up on my math limitations, and dropping a lot of assumptions and acquired beliefs. The latter is hard to do sometimes, but necessary if you plan on adapting to this viewpoint of how things might well work in the Universe. The rewards can be immense.

Jim

Cavemann

Re: TPOD by Tom Wilson, A New Look at Near Neighbors

Unread post by Cavemann » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:49 pm

It would be nice to have an animation of that.

celeste

Unread post by celeste » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:00 am

http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Marc ... rames.html

Am I correct that if the radial component of the magnetic field points inward for M31, on the side we see (we can only measure the field on the line of sight to the galaxy), that it should point radially outward on the other side of the galactic plane? Then we are seeing that the ring is really a ring current?

For M33, where the fields trace the arms, and we should have spiraling along the arms, does the velocity dispersion shown in figure 2 http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/ ... 7359v2.pdf come from stars spiraling around the arms? Then where the stars flow towards G.C.,and stop spiraling around the arms, we get less dispersion in velocities from that?

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:39 pm

"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:10 am

Sparky,.. the header needs to be taken literally ---------Posted on October 10, 2013 by Stephen Smith----------

Scroll to the bottom and you will see it was actually written by Tom,.... you see this quite often, the admin/whoever etc who post's the article isnt always the person who wrote and submitted it :D