Electrohydrodynamics in a University?

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

substance

Electrohydrodynamics in a University?

Unread post by substance » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:59 pm

I am still young and stupid enough to dedicate my life to a doomed idea such as Plasma Cosmology and I`m researching my options now. Can anyone from Europe tell me if it`s better to study physics and in particular plasma physics in a university in Germany or in the Netherlands and perhaps even direct me to a specific university`s website?
I speak English and German well so I guess Dutch won`t be very hard. Now is my last highschool year, so that`s why I`m trying to decide on what exactly to study.
P.S. I simply didn`t find another thread devoted specifically to education in this area.
My personal blog about science, technology, society and politics. - Putredo Mundi

folaht

Re: Electrohydrodynamics in a University?

Unread post by folaht » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:42 pm

http://web.phys.tue.nl/nl/de_faculteit/ ... chnologie/

I consider this the best university in the Netherlands and no, I don't study there. Too difficult for me....
I'm a eternal college student myself in computer science.

Say, how did you get in here? It took me questioning the redshift theory and the big bang theory after looking at a hubble space picture,
the story did not add up to the picture,
looked for the most logical alternative and voila, I ended up here.
Since 1 % 1, 1 * 1 and 1 - 1 do not add up, we must conclude that 1 + 1 is 3.

substance

Unread post by substance » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:17 pm

This study in the University of Technology Eindhoven sounds pretty interesting. I hope they offer some programs in english or german, because I won`t be able to learn Dutch in 1 year. Are you from the Netherlands?
I ended up here after accidentally seeing an youtube video promoting Wall Thornhill and David Talbott`s Electric universe some time ago. I was generally interested in astronomy before that and I red some Hawking and other stuff on string theory. I always thought it was too crazy even for me, until I red about the Plasma Cosmology ideas, they seem to sum everything up in a much more logical way.
Until recently I was absolutely sure that I will study computer science and computer graphics, because I`ve been into 3D applications since 3 or 4 years already. Now I see that there IS the slightest chance that physics and in particular astronomy might have become a pretty big mess in the last century and Plasma Cosmology is really in need of experts and professional scientist to back it up.
Besides PC ideas have great potential in other problematic areas such as energy, transportation, etc.
I still prefer an institution in Germany, because of my knowledge in the language.
My personal blog about science, technology, society and politics. - Putredo Mundi

Osmosis

Unread post by Osmosis » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:23 pm

Hello, Substance, welcome to the real universe! I trust you will find a good school, after high school. By that time, perhaps the study of the plasma Universe will not bring as much trouble, as we seem to encounter at the present time.

I hope you have a great ride! :D :D

substance

Unread post by substance » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:49 am

TU Munich has great reputation and as far as I know is a great place to study, but their physics courses are too general and you end up with the same astrophysics bullshit in your head, besides I didn`t see the word plasma mentioned even one time in any of their courses.
Do you know if there is any place at all in Germany where people study plasma physics? The program in TU Eindhoven is not really electrohydrodynamics, but still connected to plasma processes. Problem is, I have a feeling that their Bachelor programs are only in Dutch, although they offer language courses.

folaht

Unread post by folaht » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:01 am

substance wrote:I hope they offer some programs in english or german, because I won`t be able to learn Dutch in 1 year. Are you from the Netherlands?
You should ask them. I'm from the Netherlands yes.
Maybe you should consider [url2=http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/app/]Sydney[/url2] as your best option?
Since 1 % 1, 1 * 1 and 1 - 1 do not add up, we must conclude that 1 + 1 is 3.

substance

Unread post by substance » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:11 am

I wrote a letter to TU Eindhoven, I hope they have something in English at least during the first year.
Sydney is too far away for me, I want to be able to travel fast and cheaply to my country. Girlfriend etc, you know how it is. :)

substance

Unread post by substance » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Time for the final decision!

These are the options that I am considering, what do you guys think.

1. Technical University of München, Germany - traditional bachelor in general physics; no plasma in bachelor or master, but one of the most respected TUs in Europe. (study in german)
2. University of Heidelberg, Germany - traditional bachelor, plasma courses in the masters degree, very respected university. (study in german)
3. University of Utrecht, The Netherlands - interdisciplinary courses in the bachelor program; Experimental physics as a masters degree, which includes plasma study. + probably the most respected TU in Europe!
Utrecht University wrote:Plasma Physics
Plasma physics deals with the experimental and theoretical properties of highly-ionized or charged gasses. These systems are important in a large number of contexts in physics, chemistry, astrophysics and modern technology. The MSc in Experimental Physics allows you to explore plasma physics in all these different areas and choose a research topic for your thesis either in computational aspects of plasma physics, or its application to a specific context, such as astrophysical plasmas, or to engage in hands-on experiments at the FOM laboratory for Plasma physics in Rhijnhuizen.
First two options are easy, but for the third I would have to start a language course for C2 level Certificate in Proficiency English immediately! I have a C1 level - CAE from Cambridge.