Art Bell's 1000 Foot Loop Antenna

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Silvertree

Art Bell's 1000 Foot Loop Antenna

Unread post by Silvertree » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:36 pm

Hello: Have you folks discussed Art Bell's 1000 foot loop antenna? It is not connected to a power source yet it generates considerable charge. It seems like an ordinarily unexplainable phenomenon that is ripe for the Electric Universe folks to pick if not done so already. I'm aware that sending a wire vertically up into the sky will at some point put enough charge into the wire to burn it up electrically. But Bell's loop is at a fixed height. Could it be that a long enough wire in a loop will pick up current from movement of the air even if the movement of the air may be slight at any particular given point on the wire? Is his antenna a sort of scaled down pinch point of conductivity within the surrounding mass of air? There's a good write up of the phenomena on the C. Crane site and the topic is easy to find elsewhere on the web as well.

Thanks.
Wilson

mharratsc

Re: Art Bell's 1000 Foot Loop Antenna

Unread post by mharratsc » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:10 am

Wilson, you need to remember too that if you move a conductor through a magnetic field, you will also develop a charge on the conductor... and that loop antenna is moving orbitally around in the Earth's magnetic field.

Consider that this will be cumulative with the charge picked up by the antenna as different 'cells' of weather moving through the area where the antenna is mounted... you get the idea.

I'm thinking that the power coming off that thing could be pretty hefty! ;)
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

Silvertree

Unread post by Silvertree » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:02 pm

Thanks for the explanation - The Crane site said 350 volts I believe - don't know about amps - hmm.. If that effect occurs for those reasons - then any closed loop of wire mounted on some poles would do something similar. What baffles me yet with this is why with all the wire we've been stringing all over the place - why would the effect on Bell's antenna be a mystery to the power company? Or maybe the idea that you can get some juice just by stringing a wire in a loop in the air has some economic implications they're not all charged up about ; - )

jjohnson

Unread post by jjohnson » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:18 pm

Simple. Two little words: Pow. er. Joules per second. Stringing wires simply cannot supply the power needs of a nation, or, likely, even those of a radio transmitter. It's much more efficient and powerful to swing wire coils around powerful magnets or vice versa, the rotation coming from large fuel-driven, fission-heated steam, or hydro-electric turbines. If it were as simple as stringing wires in large loops, someone else would have patented it and made a fortune due to the low investment cost, by now. It's not energy we need, it is energy per second, and a lot of it.

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:50 am

Two little words: Pow. er.
LOL @ Jim :lol:
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

Silvertree

Unread post by Silvertree » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:21 am

Ah but it is still a source of current and though not enough to power a nation or a car - could be put to use for lesser tasks perhaps - when the regular source (spinning magnets in coils of wire or the reverse arrangement) isn't readily available or perhaps reliable. An offline power source like that might be able to run a small radio - or charge batteries.

jjohnson

Unread post by jjohnson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:04 pm

Perhaps so. I'm not disputing the fact that a current may be generated in a passive 1000-foot loop of wire at all. Just commenting on the efficiency of such a device.

So long as rechargeable batteries are able to be purchased, what are the chances of someone installing this wire loop to charge them at home and save a few pennies of kWh from the wall mains? What would be the payback period for wire, towers and installation (not to mention environmental reviews and permit fees), a form of economic calculation that is routinely used in a feasibility study? How much land area would these wire loops take up if everyone needed to charge up their iPod batteries this way? What if your local thieves discover that you have a thousand feet of copper or aluminum that they could hock at the local recycling center, and they cleaned you out, one evening? Security by Smith & Wesson takes on a more personal meaning! :cry:

While an interesting and demonstrable method of generating a small electrical current, my thinking is that it will likely remain more a curiosity than The Next Big Thing on Engadget.

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Unless maybe you could stand the thing on end... o.O
Mike H.

Silvertree

Unread post by Silvertree » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:41 pm

McGuiver could handle it! ; -) How about a diagonally mounted loop?