Universe Sandbox

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

SciRPG

Universe Sandbox

Unread post by SciRPG » Mon May 09, 2011 11:50 pm

I picked up this "game" from steam... Universe Sandbox.

Its only $10, but I was wondering if anyone here has "toyed" around with it.
Seems to be yet another tool to brainwash the masses, but my kids are very interested in stuff like this.

Some youtube videos are here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pw9U8xvwn4
The mainsite is here: http://universesandbox.com/

Anyone have some input on what they think about this?
The demo only allows an hour or so max time I believe.
~~Richard K~~
3D SciFi Illustration

mharratsc

Re: Universe Sandbox

Unread post by mharratsc » Tue May 10, 2011 7:19 am

I'd agree with that assessment- it's a sim loaded with PhysX routines that are 'astronomical' rather than what you usually see in your first-person shooters (planetary gravity, inertia, etc).

Good concept tho- graphic learning tool so kids don't have to learn how to read to 'explore the (Orthodox) Universe'... :roll:
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

Nitai

Unread post by Nitai » Tue May 10, 2011 12:06 pm

This speaks "ignorance"to me. Too bad people really think that's all there is to the universe :(
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.” - Halton Arp.

schmidty226

Unread post by schmidty226 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:21 pm

your giving this to much heat, its a good program to use to experiment with some things. you cant fit the Universe into any program. if that is what you meant.

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Sun May 15, 2011 2:02 pm

You can model some of the physics of the Universe, however, and this is what they have done. However, the physics that they've modeled are the Orthodox model, gravity only. That makes this program a 'textbook' with half its pages missing...

I don't want my kids getting ahold of this program and thinking that this is all there is in the Universe- that is what I am getting at.
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

schmidty226

Unread post by schmidty226 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:02 pm

if you read what the game is, obviously you have't, its not a game that reflects anything in "real-life" ( on a side note i hope your not telling your kids about the EU theory... unless there over the age of twelve, no offence)

SciRPG

Unread post by SciRPG » Thu May 26, 2011 1:15 am

Well after playing with it, it certainly proves that if this is what science has used to calculate the movement of bodies in our solar system... it fails.
After simulating a few days with a solar system with all the moons... the moons fly off in every direction.

So... it definitely shows that with the current calculations... this "status quo" is NOT the mechanics of our solar system.

I'm hoping he opens it up for people to insert their own formulas.
~~Richard K~~
3D SciFi Illustration

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Thu May 26, 2011 10:46 am

on a side note i hope your not telling your kids about the EU theory... unless there over the age of twelve, no offence)
no offence?..how disingenuous.

Are you suggesting that critical thinking and logical analysis, correlating observation and experiments to the universe, should not be taught to people under the age of 12? Just teach traditions of superstition, perverse ideologies, warped histories, questionable math, and falsified cosmology theory.. :roll: ..
a bit of offense intended. ;)
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

SciRPG

Unread post by SciRPG » Thu May 26, 2011 3:21 pm

Bah, dont mind him...

"Real physics, real data, real units, real science"

Thus I ignore his post unless he has anything relevant to say.
You can also see through the credits where he gets his formulas from.

My kids prefer to play with Algodoo, I give them simple problems: "Take water from below and have it transported to a reservoir 2 meters higher"...
And they set out the task of building a machine with belts, pulleys, motors to move that water to the target.
They learn to create things by using their brains, they love it.

Dunno, I guess to him "12" is the new "4", best to keep expectations low and dumbed down, lol.
~~Richard K~~
3D SciFi Illustration

schmidty226

Unread post by schmidty226 » Sun May 29, 2011 10:37 pm

your failure to understand and act responsibly is remarkable, this is why this EU will be short lived. Immaturity at your age, the only thing i can say is Wow. Also, thinking from one perspective is dangerous. Learn to thing from all.

Goldminer

Unread post by Goldminer » Sun May 29, 2011 11:14 pm

schmidty226 wrote:Learn to thing from all.
I checked on the use of the verb "thing," as in "thinging outside the closet." [water closet] For lower intestinal problems see The Colon

Instead of allowing my grandchildren to watch this I give them these DVD's link

They love it!
I sense a disturbance in the farce.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sun May 29, 2011 11:35 pm

schmidty226 wrote:your failure to understand and act responsibly is remarkable, ...
Probably would help if you indicated to whom your response is directed. If toward those who will teach EU to their kids, I say "hats off" to them. At least their kids will be given a sound alternative to think about. I should think they'll be taught the current dogma too, so perhaps they'll grow up being able to *gasp* make up their own minds.

schmidty226 wrote: ... this is why this EU will be short lived.
That's gotta be a joke! You need to learn a little history.

The roots of EU began in the 1800s with comets being thought to display electrical phenomena. In the early 1900s Kristian Birkeland suggested that the aurora were electrical in nature, and after taking instruments into the field he was sure of it. His predictions were confirmed by NASA some 70 years later.

Hannes Alfven proposed that space was filled with plasma, (which Birkeland inspired, though the term "plasma" had not been coined in Birkeland's time) and he too was correct.

Wal Thornhill has been developing EU specifically since the '70s and has seen it grow during the last several decades.

Now the Thunderbolts site enjoys a readership which is higher educated then the BAUT forum or any other significant public site in a similar genre we've checked.

EU is gaining momentum, and I for one will enjoy watching mainstream dogmatists kicking and screaming as their house of cards collapses before their very eyes. EU is anything but short-lived.

schmidty226 wrote: Also, thinking from one perspective is dangerous. Learn to thing [sic] from all.
Everyone on this forum would tend to agree with this statement, perhaps it would behoove you to heed your own advice.

Cheers, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

schmidty226

Unread post by schmidty226 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:43 am

Excuse me for my typo, i meant think. Gathering momentum eh, o well thank goodness, i was getting worried. "Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" take your own advice. I have learned hard to think from multiple. Interesting the History is, kicking and screaming indeed, you think that "mainstream dogmatists" would kick and scream, well guess what. they wouldn't, they would accept it if it was indeed happening. you fail to interpret how they would react to this idea. I have no doubt its growing, but what concerns me more are the people behind that growing.

Cheers- Schmidt

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Tue May 31, 2011 1:34 pm

Schmidt said:
I have no doubt its growing, but what concerns me more are the people behind that growing.

Well rest easy there, friend Schmidt! The people behind Thunderbolts and the EU are some pretty smart folks, and they tend to have their information pretty darn straight, I've always thought (and I know that I'm in good company on this, as well!) :)
Mike H.

schmidty226

Unread post by schmidty226 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:25 pm

i Respect your enthusiasm on the matter. well i guess we'll see soon enough if it is in fact gaining Momentum. But like any other object, it will stop gaining and start slowing :p