Epic Black Hole Dispute Between Scientists

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

michael.suede

Epic Black Hole Dispute Between Scientists

Unread post by michael.suede » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:20 am

I recently posted an email dispute between Steven Crothers and one Dr. Christian Corda, Editor-in-Chief of The Open Astronomy Journal, on my blog in which Crothers gets Corda to basically admit there are no black holes.

This elicited a response from Corda on my blog. A debate between Corda, myself, and Crothers ensued.

Follow the conversation here:
http://fascistsoup.com/2011/03/17/epic- ... cientists/

orrery

Re: Epic Black Hole Dispute Between Scientists

Unread post by orrery » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Finished reading the debate. Michael, you have my full support.
"though free to think and to act - we are held together like the stars - in firmament with ties inseparable - these ties cannot be seen but we can feel them - each of us is only part of a whole" -tesla

http://www.reddit.com/r/plasmaCosmology

schmidty226

Unread post by schmidty226 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:29 pm

well, Black Holes do exist, but on the other hand, they don't. Black Holes cant be proven nor dis proven, Its all a theory just like the Big Bang (Theory). Its gonna take much longer to understand some of the basic principles. Ashame this Brainpower is being wasted when the case, i thought, was closed.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:00 pm

schmidty226 wrote:well, Black Holes do exist, but on the other hand, they don't. Black Holes cant be proven nor dis proven.
Well, you could say that, but it wouldn't be a very scientific statement. I could say the underpants gnome is responsible for my boxer shorts going missing. Underpants gnomes can't be proven nor dis proven. That doesn't make the theory credible (BTW "proofs" are the realm of mathematicians, not scientists).

Considering black holes are a mathematical entity which have never been observed to exist in reality, and that the very math underpinning them requires that we effectively divide by zero, I don't find black hole theory credible either. Belief in black holes is simply that, a belief and is akin to a religion of sorts (take a look at the zealots who defend them). We just have to have faith...

Cheers, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

tayga

Unread post by tayga » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:38 am

davesmith_au wrote:I could say the underpants gnome is responsible for my boxer shorts going missing. Underpants gnomes can't be proven nor dis proven. That doesn't make the theory credible (BTW "proofs" are the realm of mathematicians, not scientists).
The very fact that underpants gnomes can't be "dis proven", ie falsified, is what, according to Popper, makes them un-scientific.

(Incidentally, it is well known that underpants gnomes are just overambitious sock fairies).
tayga

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

- Richard P. Feynman

Normal science does not aim at novelties of fact or theory and, when successful, finds none.
- Thomas Kuhn

Goldminer

More than you ever wanted to know:

Unread post by Goldminer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:12 am

tayga wrote:
davesmith_au wrote:I could say the underpants gnome is responsible for my boxer shorts going missing. Underpants gnomes can't be proven nor dis proven. That doesn't make the theory credible (BTW "proofs" are the realm of mathematicians, not scientists).
The very fact that underpants gnomes can't be "dis proven", ie falsified, is what, according to Popper, makes them un-scientific.

(Incidentally, it is well known that underpants gnomes are just overambitious sock fairies).
Unbeknown to most, I wear Holy socks and underpants. However, I do not worship them. Those damned gnomes and fairies keep escaping with a little bit of my nether garments at a time! All this time I thought it was clothes entropy causing the disappearance through tiny undetected black holes.
I sense a disturbance in the farce.

schmidty226

Unread post by schmidty226 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:09 pm

i guess your right for the most part, but "Considering black holes are a mathematical entity which have never been observed to exist in reality" Reality can be thought of in many ways, not just "it actually exists." I believe the Theory has been warped into nothing more than a joke, if i didn't know what i know then id say your right and you have the right to think your right, (yes, repetition...) Not just the realm of mathematicians, anyone can walk into this realm when they need to. The concept is a bit, weird on that your right, they cant be observed so technically they don't "exist." I've seen many cases where people who don't believe in Black Holes try to disprove them, I've seen it on this very forum, not by you but by other people. evidence is the name of this Game, I have Faith in this Theory and that's all that's needed. On a side note i apologize for my horrible structure in which i write things.

PersianPaladin

Unread post by PersianPaladin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:35 am

michael.suede wrote:I recently posted an email dispute between Steven Crothers and one Dr. Christian Corda, Editor-in-Chief of The Open Astronomy Journal, on my blog in which Crothers gets Corda to basically admit there are no black holes.

This elicited a response from Corda on my blog. A debate between Corda, myself, and Crothers ensued.

Follow the conversation here:
http://fascistsoup.com/2011/03/17/epic- ... cientists/
May I ask how "ideology" (as stated in your article) is relevant to this dispute?

sjw40364

Unread post by sjw40364 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:27 pm

I used to think Black Holes did not exist, now I believe they do, but only in the minds of those that support them. All logic is sucked in and never makes it back out :)