Wikipedia Magnetic Reconnection

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

jjohnson

Re: Wikipedia Magnetic Reconnection

Unread post by jjohnson » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:26 pm

You will notice, if you read a lot of peer reviewed papers, that not one includes references to Wikipedia. And they know why.

rjhuntington's last paragraph immediately above is precisely the reason. Can't be used in scientific research; it's for consensus-settled knowledge only, not debate or critical thinking. Can we learn stuff from Wiki? OF COURSE! But it's best to understand what it is you are learning, so that you know its limits and constraints, and use it appropriately. And avoid using it as a reference for debatable ideas.

601L1n9FR09

Unread post by 601L1n9FR09 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:49 am

I watched both your videos. Bravo! Please make more. I was especially impressed with your layman explanation. With a little practice you could almost pass as a layman :D .Oh I also read your critique.

Phorce

Unread post by Phorce » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:53 am

Don't let WP wind you people up too much. There is a sort of method in the madness when you give a lot of people access to advanced collaborative editing technology. I still find it wonderful that any articles are produced at all and there are always gems like this article ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Chizhevsky

cbragz

Unread post by cbragz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:20 am

hi michael,chris bennett here...i managed to reinstate your criticism section back into the article,cheers bro...

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:00 pm

cbragz wrote:hi michael,chris bennett here...i managed to reinstate your criticism section back into the article,cheers bro...
Which lasted for a whole 11 hours or so courtesy of the zealots at Gatekeepers-R-Us (aka Wikipedia...). And as a really good laugh, I read recently that Jimbo Wales reckons they're having trouble keeping editors because the software is turning them away - I suggest it's the softheads which are doing the turning...

Cheers, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster