What degrees does Wal Thornhill have ?

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Snakeoil

Re: What degrees does Wal Thornhill have ?

Unread post by Snakeoil » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:14 am

Grey Cloud wrote:Hi Snakeoil,
The title of this thread is ' What degrees does Wal Thornhill have?', (which I personally consider an irrelvant question anyway). I agree, thanks to 20/20 hindsight that my comments apply equally to Anaconda et al. Perhaps the 'Future of Science' board would be a better home for this debate?
I'll let Anaconda defend his statements re 'education' and I'll stick by mine.

I personally am not interested in the opinions of your friend the shrink or any other shrink for that matter.

For the record, I tend to agree with Crumby's comments in that I don't see either mainstream or EU science as providing all the answers. In fact, as many of my posts show, I'm not a big fan of science full stop.
Thankyou, if Anaconda's post is considered offtopic, i agree that my post would also be offtopic in this thread.

I didnt comment on my or my friends (the psychiatrists) opinion, i just mentioned that it was demeemed "interesting". And this was in regard to the tone used, a tone wich i then copied and get a tell-off for. So it does seem you where interested afterall, just not interested in the source.

And yes, neither disciplines do explain everything, thats why there is still research going on. However sinca Anaconda is giving out complete education on other forums that "black holes dont exist" "they are the figment of imagination" etc it should be equally clear that Anaconda dont understand that topic either. Note that this is not saying Black Holes necessarily exists, just that Anaconda dont understand what is predicted and why. Even with his complete education .

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:36 am

Hello Snakeoil and Crumby,

I need some clarification.
Snakeoil wrote:Hmmmm, pretending to be something you are not, in order to gain the upper hand ? That do sound like a hidden agenda, is this the normal and advocated approach?
and,
Crumby wrote:However, what IS missing is the open displays of integrity and honesty. Why? Because it allows sincere conversations to see other points of view and also see the pros and cons openly. If there is no trust, there is no means of understanding or learning when it seems greatly smeared with a thick coating of other motives. Sorry. It just appears deceptive. Sadly IMO using (and directly stating) "persuasion" towards ones' beliefs does really look like some projection of a "hidden agenda.
What is the reasoning behind these allegations that anaconda (or the EU in general?) has a "hidden agenda"?
I would really like to know, I have been a student of the EU for years, and the thought that I could have missed a "hidden agenda" is bothering me :o
Crumby and Snakeoil, since you keep referring to this hidden agenda, you must have some idea as to what it is, can you just come out and say it in plain English?
Please let me know. What, specifically, is this hidden agenda?

nick c

rduke

Unread post by rduke » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:17 pm

Just to toss it in...

My guess is that we are "Creationists"...

Our hidden agenda is of some wacko religious nature....

At least that is the venom's edge that I hear in most attacks against EU/PC--

If that is the case.. I am in the wrong place!! (as are many others here--including many of the mainframe architects)

KickLaBuka

Unread post by KickLaBuka » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:50 pm

I'll be the first to admit that I am jaded against the mainstream. They deserve to get their faces rubbed in pig shit, IMHO. It will probably always be my position to oust them and send the funding and support to the Plasma Electric Universe. Do not pass go; no retirement plan. Gone.

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi rduke and Kicklabuka,
Jeez guys, thanks for the insightful comments. If this is going to be the level of discourse then we all may as well pack up and go home now. :roll:
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

KickLaBuka

Unread post by KickLaBuka » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:08 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:Hi rduke and Kicklabuka,
Jeez guys, thanks for the insightful comments. If this is going to be the level of discourse then we all may as well pack up and go home now. :roll:

Gosh, could I have been guilty all this time? Perhaps the human race deserves an unbiased perspective? But what comes of those who have faught so wrongly? What comes of the job opportunities for those who deserve them? How to shift the power to the right? I'm in turmoil over this. Any feedback would really help.

Til then, have a good weekend everybody.

-justin

Snakeoil

Unread post by Snakeoil » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:21 pm

rduke wrote:Just to toss it in...

My guess is that we are "Creationists"...

Our hidden agenda is of some wacko religious nature....

At least that is the venom's edge that I hear in most attacks against EU/PC--

If that is the case.. I am in the wrong place!! (as are many others here--including many of the mainframe architects)
Hi rduke, can you please read the part below from Mike, then tell me that Mike is not openly admitting that he likes to play games in argumentation.
I find that if I put forth that I am a layman and that I have heard both arguments but I find that I find the EU argument more compelling, most times I receive a little bit more courtesy. I imagine it's because they harbor some hope that they might win me over to their point of view...

Not! ;)

Mike H.
Now Mike is allowed to any opinion he wants to have (as long as noone is hurt by that opinion, ergo democratic requirements), but he is also responsible for anything that is a consequence of that opinion.

I for one do not intend to debate with Mike, because Mike will pretend to understand, or pretend to agree, in order to try to get the upper hand in the argument - without any consideration for whether he actually is correct on the matter or not. He already admitted it so it would be pointless for me to enter the discussion. Mike has proven to me that he has a hidden agenda. Make sence ?

rduke

Unread post by rduke » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:56 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:Hi rduke and Kicklabuka,
Excuse me?

I must take it that this is the first time you are hearing of people who think along the EU/PC line of study being called "Creationists"

Many mainstream supporters immediately knee jerk the response that we are in that camp-- Which would be news to me.

---

As far as people getting their kicks from stirring up shat.. Well Snakeoil and partner--- I am sure you guys are all too familiar with that tactic... ahem...

--

Now .. lets get back to the real meal... sick and tired of chewing on this parsley...

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:01 pm

KickLaBuka wrote:
Gosh, could I have been guilty all this time? Perhaps the human race deserves an unbiased perspective? But what comes of those who have faught so wrongly? What comes of the job opportunities for those who deserve them? How to shift the power to the right? I'm in turmoil over this. Any feedback would really help.
Is this available in English?

rduke wrote:
I must take it that this is the first time you are hearing of people who think along the EU/PC line of study being called "Creationists"
Many mainstream supporters immediately knee jerk the response that we are in that camp-- Which would be news to me.
No it's not the first time, especially as he hasn't mentioned the 'C' word yet. You are the one who has knee-jerked the word into the thread. And, FYI, there is a whole wide world outside the USA in which the creationist / not a creationist debate is just some crazy American obsession.
As far as people getting their kicks from stirring up shat.. Well Snakeoil and partner--- I am sure you guys are all too familiar with that tactic... ahem...
Again you are accusing them of doing something they haven't done yet.
Now .. lets get back to the real meal... sick and tired of chewing on this parsley...

I wrote:
However, most folk are open-mindedand willing to at least consider alternative ideas and viewpoints.
Good job I put 'most' in there, otherwise you two might have proven me wrong and I'm not sure I could have survived the shock to the system. :lol:
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

rduke

Unread post by rduke » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:No it's not the first time, especially as he hasn't mentioned the 'C' word yet. You are the one who has knee-jerked the word into the thread. And, FYI, there is a whole wide world outside the USA in which the creationist / not a creationist debate is just some crazy American obsession
I am well aware of the mindsets held by the fundamentalists of all worldwide religious persuasions.

Again you are accusing them of doing something they haven't done yet.
I would not call it an accusation...

That was not clear enough for you?

I am not even sure why we are having this conversation.

Anaconda

Unread post by Anaconda » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:15 am

Crumby,

Your comments are valuble and I appreciate them. I will answer them more in full and you might be surprised to read my response because there are a number I agree with :) Although, there are some that I will disagree with as well and that would be no surprise :)

Snakeoil, your comments have been much as might be expected, given the tone of my interlocutors over at Universe Today. But the Science speaks better than I do. To the extent that I'm a less than perfect messenger, my communication of the scientific evidence could be improved, but your attempt to equate my objections to aspects (most) of "modern" astronomy as evidence of psychological problems, is all too obvious an attack on the messenger and obviously not a reasoned objection to the Science, itself.

The Science stands on its own :idea:

"I'll be back" -- Terminator :P

Snakeoil

Unread post by Snakeoil » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:12 am

Anaconda wrote:Crumby,

Your comments are valuble and I appreciate them. I will answer them more in full and you might be surprised to read my response because there are a number I agree with :) Although, there are some that I will disagree with as well and that would be no surprise :)

Snakeoil, your comments have been much as might be expected, given the tone of my interlocutors over at Universe Today. But the Science speaks better than I do. To the extent that I'm a less than perfect messenger, my communication of the scientific evidence could be improved, but your attempt to equate my objections to aspects (most) of "modern" astronomy as evidence of psychological problems, is all too obvious an attack on the messenger and obviously not a reasoned objection to the Science, itself.

The Science stands on its own :idea:

"I'll be back" -- Terminator :P
Anaconda,

My tone is a mirror back onto yourself and the tone you initiate with, it has been from the very start and it is here again. I am copying your tone, and you are not selfaware enough to understand that this is what i am doing. I copy your tone, your comments, and you immediately accuse me of wrong doing - yet you do the same all the time to begin with. This is same as it has been repetetive also on UT. You jump in stating that scientists are hiding evidence and willfully ignoring evidence of a plasma universe, then run away crying when you are being accused of doing just that towards established science. You dont believe me? Well alot of other posters have claimed the same. It is obvious to me that you make blatant assumptions and incorrect assessments, as it is obvious to a great many others - yet it is beyound your scope of realisation that this is how you come out.

complete education - your statement, yet you do not seem to grasp even the simple aspects of modern established science. Just sit back and ponder of what you are actually saying here, do you have a complete education to give anyone ? Do you understand everything that is known to mankind flawlessly. No! And then you switch back to saying you are just an imperfect messenger.

What is it going to be Anaconda, are you an imperfect messenger or do you have complete education ?
Do you intend to put the "pigs in their place" or do you intend to debate and possibly accept that you dont know everything ? Or perhaps pretend that you know everything for the sake of winning the debate ?

Do you understand the difference between asking a question about something you dont understand, and making incorrect assessments about physics you do not understand? If you ask a question, someone will try to answer it - if you make an assessment that is incorrect, and refuse to accept the response given back, it becomes impossible to reason with you. You already know you have the correct answer (probably the complete education part) and you just "try to win the debate" "put your shoulder into the debate". What if you are wrong to start with?

Every single time you have been asked questions, you wander off to say something that do not answer the question - not once have i seen you even trying to actually answer questions asked, or even say that you dont know the answer to that, or to say you will try to find the aswer from the information you have. Why? If you have complete education then surely you would be able to provide answers, and if not, surely you be able to acknowledge when you dont know something ?

***Ad Hom comment removed***

Moderator note to Anaconda, Snakeoil, and anyone else posting on this thread:
Let's stop this before it goes any further. There will be no ad hom attacks permitted on this forum. Personal attacks are forbidden, all are expected to comply. Please, no more references to "pigs", the need for psychiatric evaluation, etc etc. If someone is presenting irrational or illogical arguments, their ideas should be very easy to pick apart without having to resort to personal insult.
The rule is "attack the idea, not the poster!"

Anaconda

Unread post by Anaconda » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:13 pm

@ Crumby:

As I stated before I appreciate your comment and will respond to it in the fashion I believe it was offered: Constructive dialogue designed to reconcile competing views of cosmology.

Crumby wrote:
"I am certainly worried you are both missing the point. While EU/PC might have its useful place in astrophysics, it is becoming apparent that it is not the only exclusive explanation nor the only valid explanation. "
Yes, I have consistently maintained that gravity and mechanical forces need to be included, regretfully, most acknowledgments by one side or the other in the debate get drowned out by the extremes, and most of the "extreme" rejection comes from the "modern" astronomy side of the debate, although, not entirely.

Sometimes, from quarters, one would least expect are tokens of acknowledgment that should be built on, not torn down.

In example, Tim Thompson, an objector of some note to the 'Electric Sun' hypothesis had this to say about 'Electric Currents in Space':

Tim Thompson was challenged by an interlocutor:
"...somehow you've managed to convince yourself that electricity does not play a vital role in events in space."
And Tim Thompson responded:
"Wrong. I believe no such thing and neither does anyone else I know. Electric currents certainly do play a vital role in events in space, on every spatial scale from the smallest to the largest. They are incorporated into standard physical models of the solar system and cosmology. There are whole books and reams of papers on the topic. Electric currents do play a vital role in events in space without question."
So, even someone who has serious disagreements with aspects of Electric Universe ideas, acknowledges the significance of electric currents in space, not just in the solar system, but beyond into deep-space large structures.

Surely, the competing viewpoints have significant points of agreement that can be expanded upon.

Crumby wrote:
"The difficulty lies in the fact that observations and measures are so hard to obtain from mostly distance far away places. EU has exactly the same problem..."
I agree with you, Crumby, :) both competing viewpoints labor under the same constraints, however, I can only partially agree with the next part of your statement:
"but is far less convincing because of the gross complexity of the mathematical of its theories. Worst thing is that few direct observations exists in the deepest reaches of space because you can't really see the magnetic fields behaviour directly."
Yes, the mathematics of electromagnetism is more complex because electromagnetism is non-linear and is known to have multiple instabilities which make it almost completely impossible to predict with perfect accuracy. But I'm not persuaded it is "far less convincing" because of the mathematical difficulties. And it seems that observation & measurement even at distance can resolve magnetic fields and electromagnetic wave lengths (radiation) like synchrotron and X-rays that have a high corollation with the presence of electric currents.

It seems that the extremes dominate the dialogue, as those that should know better, hardly ever take aside, less knowledgable commenters and explain what Tim Thompson stated, above, namely that electric currents permeate the Universe at all cosmological levels of complexity, size, and distance.

Crumby wrote:
"Yet you never answer the question why is it that it cannot be BOTH? I.e. Some combination of a complex gravitational field as the source of the black hole and the powerful EU fields generated by the consequences of matter interacting with the field!"
Yes, I have heard that argument, in fact, I had a long running dialogue with an interlocutor that held just that viewpoint.

Anything is possible, but my point with him was the same as the one I've expressed at Universe Today: So-called "black holes" are not constrained or quantified at a theoretical, fundamental level, it is an a priori abstraction reified into a physical object with little or no observational confirmation. "Infinite" density in an "infinitely" small volume, is simply an imaginary concept with no quantitative constraints at all, yet, it is held out to the general public as if it is a most quantified thing. It most assuredly is not. And no known physical objects suggest such density is even possible and on the off chance it was possible, no quantified empirical observation has confirmed that any density of matter or any strength of gravity can capture light.

I couldn't look in the mirror and call myself an objective scientific observer that respects the Scientific Method if I subscribed to "black holes".

It's that simple, and, yes, that harsh.

Crumby wrote:
"Yet really Anaconda has also made probably a worst sin - especially on UT. Most novices in the sciences of have little concept of the universe, astronomy or astrophysics. When you plainly say "'black holes don't exist" then attack the science behind it, all your doing is putting their simple question into total disinterest altogether! So instead of slapping everyone so hard in the face or hitting everything with a sledgehammer, why don't you just as an approach mainly highlight the EU component (and the science behind it), then show how the EU is generated or interacts by the gravitational source. I.e. You catch more flies with honey."
I agree that at times my approach has been too strong.

Yet, at others, I've attempted to extend an open-hand and not a clinched fist and only received the usual harsh slap down, regardless. Also, as stated, above, there are certain objects & and concepts that in my opinion can't be coddled in "modern" astronomy, to do so is simply to propagate inexcusable error.
"Most novices in the sciences of have little concept of the universe, astronomy or astrophysics. When you plainly say "'black holes don't exist" then attack the science behind it, all your doing is putting their simple question into total disinterest altogether!"
I grant you that some novices do get "disinterested" or "chased away" and that is wrong. And I have suspicion that is the exact reason some interlocutors are so harsh and personal, to repel novices from following the discussion, anything to keep them from seriously considering the scientific evidence that supports Electric Universe theory or which would dissuade them from doing independent research on their own.

Crumby wrote:
"Personally, your complaints here about the bloggers and writing off UT are pretty extreme."
Anybody, who has followed the threads over at Universe Today would find the personal attacks are very harsh, but I certainly haven't "written off" Universe Today because there are folks who don't participate in comment threads, either experienced or novice who have reasnoable scepticism and an open-mind, and will do research on their own.

But they won't if they never see or hear the ideas and supporting scientific evidence.

Clearly, some interlocutors over at Universe Today, also, want to make it clear that anybody & everybody who publically subscribes & espouses Electric Universe theory will be treated with utter contempt: This is intellectual "gangsterism" at its worst. :(

Crumby wrote:
"Both of you have been so aggressive and headstrong, all you have done is alienate not only those who do know how to debate but those who don't know any better! I personally think you are fighting on the wrong battlefield, whose voices are more rallying mostly angry negative dissuasion than persuading any positives towards the EU's cause."
You may have a point, although, both solrey (he's better than I've been) and myself have at times tried to present the "kinder and gentler" version only to be met with the same derision as if we came in taking names and kicking ass.

You can't make people aware of competing viewpoints, if they never hear about it in the first place. And that seems to be the goal of many of the commenters over at UT: "kill it before it grows."

So, the question becomes how to make a reasonable and balanced presentation, all the while having hecklers attempting to shout you down?

I will give that thought, Crumby, because while I hate to give-in to intellectual "gangsterism", I fear you maybe right that some are turning away from EU without ever hearing the supporting scientific evidence.

Crumby wrote:
"However, what IS missing is the open displays of integrity and honesty."
This works two ways, you understand, and, frankly, the false allegations and misrepresentations are legion on the other side, and rarely does the other side ever acknowledge mistakes or errors, while, believe it or not, I do try to acknowledge the mistakes and errors I become aware of, whether by myself or pointed out by others.

Crumby wrote:
"The problem is perception that radical EU proponents are just (mostly) so unwilling to fit into mainstream science nor are prepared to show where EU and GM do interlay."
Of course, part of the problem is that "mainstream" science (read "modern" astronomy) is so far off course in many of its ideas, and doesn't follow accepted scientific methods, that compromise is difficult from the EU perspective and possibly there is a self-awareness of the "slippery slope" astronomy sits upon that has caused many "modern" astronomers to engage in their own harsh, slash and burn tactics for fear that anything less will lead to their "untimely demise".

And followers take their que and copy the style of commenters who they perceive to be more experienced and knowledgable. Sadly, the "leaders" are often the most harsh and uncompromising, which encourages the more inexperienced or "wanna bes" to act in similar fashion.

Perhaps, the above concern is an area that your side could work to improve on.

I suspect the crisis will intensify sooner rather than later unless Tim Thompson's quote and your expression of good will are shared by more followers of "modern" astronomy. I hope your positive expressions of good will and a more wide-spread acknowledgment of electromagnetism in space become a real permanent fixture of Astronomy.

I do sincerely hope for more not less cooperation and mutual understanding :)

KickLaBuka

Unread post by KickLaBuka » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:51 am

Sadly, the "leaders" are often the most harsh and uncompromising
I suppose you have a very good point, and it is difficult to loosen the reigns. Compromise is a negative trait when seeking truth. In the case of truth, compromise has no place, as the only ones who are to compromise are those who are wrong.

:shock:

Anaconda

Unread post by Anaconda » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:48 pm

Hi KickLaBurka:
KickLaBuka wrote:
Sadly, the "leaders" are often the most harsh and uncompromising
I suppose you have a very good point, and it is difficult to loosen the reigns. Compromise is a negative trait when seeking truth. In the case of truth, compromise has no place, as the only ones who are to compromise are those who are wrong.

:shock:
Of course, you are right. And with the constraints on observation & measurement outside the solar system, there is plenty of room for ad hoc layering so that the status quo rarely has to admit to being wrong. ;)

Instead, they simply modify the "theory" to fit the observations. If one reviews the historical "evolution" of the so-called "black hole" concept, one will see a whole series of ad hoc modifications.

Could the entire "theory" be wrong?

No, that would be too embarrassing :lol: