Mention from the mainstream

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

redeye

Mention from the mainstream

Unread post by redeye » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:19 pm

There's a wee nod to eu theory in the book "Firstborn" by Arthur C Clarke/Stephen Baxter
It is remarkable that cultures globally appear to share a 'world tree' myth. Some of the more plausible explanations for this range from cloud formations to plasma phenomena (see example http://www.maverickscience.com/ladder_aeon.pdf).
From the Afterword of Firstborn published by Gollancz London

The link doesn't work, should have been http://www.maverickscience.com/myth-ladder.pdf I think.

The line in the actual story is almost exactly the same as the quote from the afterword and it plays no part in the story, but it's the only mention I've read in mainstream science fiction (never read any of James Hogan's stuff :oops: ).

Firstborn follows Time's Eye and Sunstorm as the third part of the "A Time Odyssey" trilogy of books.

I enjoyed it, but I don't think it stands alone. In fact, it kind of feels like it's designed to lead into another series of novels. Sunstorm is the stand out of the trilogy, although I don't believe Stephen Baxter had anything to do with this novel as two thirds of the way through he hasn't wiped out the human race!

Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

redeye

Re: Mention from the mainstream

Unread post by redeye » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:20 pm

"The Execution Channel" Ken MacLeod

A very interesting book. One of the centre points of the book deals with the American Government's alleged suppression of data from the Pioneer probe as it proves Alfen's plasma cosmology and will start a new arms race based around plasma technology.

Fast paced and extremely relevant to readers of this site, the ending is a bit weak, but that's always a problem with science fiction.

Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley