Satellites, Spacecraft, and Electric Fields

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

dnthomason

Mysterious electron acceleration due to reconnection

Unread post by dnthomason » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:31 pm

They are still disconnected and depending almost totally on simulations.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-mys ... ctron.html

Oh well!

Metryq

Apollo 15 heard while on farside

Unread post by Metryq » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:43 pm

I just read James P. Hogan's "Cosmic Power Grid" article in CATASTROPHES, CHAOS AND CONVOLUTIONS. One passage that stunned me:
...signals from the Apollo 15 command module were received at a time when the craft was behind the supposedly radio-opaque body. They had been carried around from the far side by the electric currents in the Moon's surface layers.
A Web search keeps turning up a smattering of other topics, such as "music" being heard by the Apollo 10 crew while on farside. Then there are the UFO stories, conspiracy stuff, etc. I'm going through the mission logs now. Anyone know when this particular event happened? Maybe it was "gravitational lensing"? :mrgreen:

Sparky

Re: Apollo 15 heard while on farside

Unread post by Sparky » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:38 am

Is James P. Hogan a credible source.? :?
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:40 am

Is James P. Hogan a credible source.? :?
Do you know something or have a reason why not?

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:01 am

Isn't he a science fiction writer? :?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Aardwolf

Unread post by Aardwolf » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:04 am

Metryq wrote:I just read James P. Hogan's "Cosmic Power Grid" article in CATASTROPHES, CHAOS AND CONVOLUTIONS. One passage that stunned me:
...signals from the Apollo 15 command module were received at a time when the craft was behind the supposedly radio-opaque body. They had been carried around from the far side by the electric currents in the Moon's surface layers.
A Web search keeps turning up a smattering of other topics, such as "music" being heard by the Apollo 10 crew while on farside. Then there are the UFO stories, conspiracy stuff, etc. I'm going through the mission logs now. Anyone know when this particular event happened? Maybe it was "gravitational lensing"? :mrgreen:
Or maybe VHF/UHF signals from Earth were just refracted/reflected by the moons ionosphere as they are on Earth.

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:47 pm

Sparky wrote:Isn't he a science fiction writer?
Yes, the late Mr. Hogan was a professional sci-fi writer. But somewhere along the way he became interested in catastrophism and the Electric Universe. He wrote (on his website, which is no longer extant) many non fiction articles on the same subjects (of catastrophism and the Electric Universe) that are discussed on this forum.
Here is a link to his Thunderblog on the issue of the climate change:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/thunderblo ... 14_jph.htm

And an announcement of his passing on the TB forum:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... iew=unread

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:32 pm

thanks....hmmmmmmm ..mr. Hogan appears to have been intelligent and talented....

any other conformation of the strange radio waves around the moon contact with astronauts? :?

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:26 pm

Hows about "Radiation from a spherical antenna covered by an inhomogeneous over-dense plasma layer". Or something like that, lots of plasma on the Lunar surface.
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:03 am

All so far is rumor... :?

Is there any confirmation of that event? :?

Metryq

Unread post by Metryq » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:23 pm

Sparky wrote:All so far is rumor... :?

Is there any confirmation of that event? :?
Since the Hogan article did not footnote this Apollo item, I am slowly making my way through the mission logs to see if I can find anything relevant. So far all I've found is (around 102:12:24):
Public Affairs Officer - "And we have had Acquisition Of Signal from the Command Module, which that indicates we did get the circularization burn."

"At the present time our radio signal strength from the Command Module is still too weak to permit voice communications. We are starting to get some telemetry data. And we're about 40 seconds away from reacquiring the Lunar Module, Falcon."
This can't be what Hogan was referring to, as AOS had already occurred -- unless the telemetry-only was the presumed line-of-sight AOS; meaning the CSM may have still been below the horizon. I'll keep reading and see if I can find anything more concrete.

As for Hogan's sci-fi, his work was a little "harder" than most. Granted, he wrote about artificial black holes (THRICE UPON A TIME, the "Giants" series), higher dimensions a la Brian Greene (THE GENESIS MACHINE), alternate quantum universes (PATHS TO OTHERWHERE) and time travel (his PROTEUS OPERATION is the finest time travel story I've ever read).

However, he was very open to alternative theories (Tom Van Flandern's corpuscular gravity, Velikoskian catastrophism, and Electric Universe) as fodder for sci-fi stories, and some non-fiction articles, as noted above. One of my favorite things about Hogan is the way he'd use common tropes in one story, say AI or virtual reality, and examine a particular trope in close detail in another story. So while characters may not have created a running series, technology did. I suspect that Hogan's REALTIME INTERRUPT (and Plato's allegory of the cave) was the primary inspiration for THE MATRIX. The novel was far more compelling than the movie, where people ("together with a form of fusion") were used as power sources for the machines. Gimme a break.

skelpitheid

Unread post by skelpitheid » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:21 pm

This does ring a bell. I'm of the Apollo vintage, watched all the missions and read everything! The memory I have of it is of a weird occurence but it was reported by Mission Control.

This is all hearsay as of now, but I am sure investigation will bear it out.

Donald.

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Gimme a break.
:? :D

Thank you for searching out the statement....I find it difficult to find anything with my searches.... :oops:

If we can confirm this information, I have a theory..... :? ;)

Metryq

Unread post by Metryq » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:55 pm

While I dig through the mission logs, I should complete the full quote from the original post. Again, from Hogan's "Cosmic Power Grid" article:
The existence of a downward electric field above the Earth's surface was first demonstrated in 1803 by a Professor Erman of Berlin, using a gold-leaf electroscope. The field strength has since been measured at 100 to 500 volts per meter on a clear day. (Voltage, also referred to as "potential," is a measure of the difference in electrical "pressure," analogous to a head of water in hydraulics. The field strength expresses the pressure drop per unit of distance through the field, or "potential gradient." In this case, the direction is downward, toward the ground.) The most straightforward explanation would be that it arises from a negative charge carried by the Earth, but since this contradicts the dictum that planets cannot be charged, the cause has been deemed to be positive charge accumulated in the upper atmosphere instead. Attempts at locating it, however, have so far been in vain. Nikola Tesla discovered that the Earth constitutes an enormous reservoir of free electrons, and one of his obsessions was to utilize this property for worldwide electrical transmission. In 1971 this finding was repeated for the Moon, when signals from the Apollo 15 command module were received at a time when the craft was behind the supposedly radio-opaque body. They had been carried around from the far side by electric currents in the Moon's surface layers.

Hogan, James P. (2005-12-01). Catastrophes, Chaos and Convolutions (Kindle Locations 2499-2508). Baen Books. Kindle Edition.
Imagine the problems we'd have if a space elevator is ever built...

comingfrom

ExoMars missions 2016 & 2018

Unread post by comingfrom » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:51 am

Joint European and Russian mission to Mars launched on 14th March 2016.

This is preparatory mission for landing a rover in 2018.

ESA's page for ExoMars missions

RussianSpaceWeb.com ExoMars-2016 mission

NASA's Participation in ESA's 2016 ExoMars Orbiter Mission

Some links to get the topic started.
~Paul