Asteroids

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby promethean » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:05 am

Perhaps it will be close enough to capture...the Jan. Nat'l Geo has an item of interest
re: average precious metal value of an asteroid ...
One Ton of "average" Earth rock = $70
One Ton of "average" asteroid = $11,000 plus !
Platinum,Gold,Vanadium, etc. :)
Does not this indicate massive electrical events involving asteroids resulting in extraordinary
transmutation activity ? Did the same cause the parent body break-up ?
Or did ongoing energetic exchanges create the higher densities of heavy elements in individual asteroids ?
"History teaches everything,even the future." Alphonse de Lamartine (1790-1869)
promethean
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby wxman2001 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:50 am

I believe there may be a discharge that disrupts or cripples a high orbiting earth satellite as DA 14 passes inside their orbits.
wxman2001
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:18 am
Location: Grand Forks ND

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby webolife » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:28 pm

Promethean,
An asteroid's metals are valued because of their rarity, not abundance.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.
User avatar
webolife
 
Posts: 2530
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:01 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby promethean » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 am

webolife wrote:Promethean,
An asteroid's metals are valued because of their rarity, not abundance.



Exactly my point , webolife...if "rare" elements are found in "abundance" isn't that a clue
to the history of the body in question ?
Could the energy required for transmutations of precious metals be the cause of the "parent body's"
break-up?...I'm thinking "YES". :idea:
"History teaches everything,even the future." Alphonse de Lamartine (1790-1869)
promethean
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby Sparky » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:40 am

Could I get an asteroid for my birthday? :oops:
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire
Sparky
 
Posts: 3517
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby webolife » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:52 pm

What I meant, Prom, was just the opposite, ie. that the aquisition of metals from asteroids is an extremely rare phenomenon, thus their high value.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.
User avatar
webolife
 
Posts: 2530
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:01 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby webolife » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:53 pm

But, by the way, I'd also like one for my birthday, but not a very big one, and make sure it doesn't land in the Seattle area.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.
User avatar
webolife
 
Posts: 2530
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:01 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby GaryN » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:54 pm

New computer simulations reveal possible violent history of giant asteroid Vesta
Image
Now, a research team made up of members from Switzerland, France and the United States has created 3D computer simulations of the asteroid that appear to explain how it came to be shaped as it is today. As the team describes in their paper published in the journal Nature, it appears Vesta was struck by two massive objects—one approximately 2 billion years ago, and another 1 billion years ago.


Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-02-simulation ... t.html#jCp

Sure glad they have it figured out, I've lost so much sleep over the years wondering how it could have formed, and now I know the answer, well, thank goodness for computer programmers and their simulations. :D
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller
User avatar
GaryN
 
Posts: 2660
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: Sooke, BC, Canada

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby seasmith » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Possible Seismic Activity on Asteroid 2012 DA14

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc ... oidquakes/

"As asteroids move through space, they slowly turn dark-red. This phenomenon, called 'space weathering', is caused by long exposure to cosmic rays and solar radiation. For decades, however, we have known about a handful of small asteroids that looked [light and fresh]; they were not space weathered."

How did this group of space rocks avoid space weathering? To solve the mystery, Binzel and colleagues calculated the asteroids' orbits and found a telling clue: They all had very close encounters with Earth in the past million years.
"We believe they were 'shaken up' by their encounters with Earth," he says. "Gravitational forces during the flybys can stretch, rattle, and torque these asteroids, causing dark, space-weathered material on the surface to be overturned, revealing the fresh stuff underneath."


So how will we know it 's a "gravitational" quake, and how will they know the difference between gravitic and electric forces ?
:?:
seasmith
 
Posts: 2815
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:59 pm

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby GaryN » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Coincidence?
Image
A series of explosions in the skies of Russia’s Urals region, reportedly caused by a meteor shower, has sparked panic in three major cities. Witnesses said that houses shuddered, windows were blown out and cellphones stopped working.
According to unconfirmed reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo reportedly blew the meteorite into pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers.


http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-ural ... binsk-283/
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller
User avatar
GaryN
 
Posts: 2660
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: Sooke, BC, Canada

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby MattEU » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:05 am

User avatar
MattEU
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:00 am

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby Sparky » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:05 pm

A missile salvo reportedly blew the meteorite into pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers.


Doubt that... :? now iran's new stealth fighter may have shot it down... :roll:
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire
Sparky
 
Posts: 3517
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby Corona » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:50 pm

GaryN wrote:Coincidence?
A series of explosions in the skies of Russia’s Urals region, reportedly caused by a meteor shower, has sparked panic in three major cities. Witnesses said that houses shuddered, windows were blown out and cellphones stopped working.
According to unconfirmed reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo reportedly blew the meteorite into pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers.


http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-ural ... binsk-283/


according to NASA:

"The trajectory of the Russian meteorite was significantly different than the trajectory of the asteroid 2012 DA14, making it a completely unrelated object. Information is still being collected about the Russian meteorite and analysis is preliminary at this point. In videos of the meteor, it is seen to pass from left to right in front of the rising sun, which means it was traveling from north to south. Asteroid DA14's trajectory is in the opposite direction, from south to north."

www.spaceweather.com
User avatar
Corona
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:10 am

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby Corona » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:51 pm

GaryN wrote:Coincidence?
A series of explosions in the skies of Russia’s Urals region, reportedly caused by a meteor shower, has sparked panic in three major cities. Witnesses said that houses shuddered, windows were blown out and cellphones stopped working.
According to unconfirmed reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo reportedly blew the meteorite into pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers.


http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-ural ... binsk-283/


according to NASA:

"The trajectory of the Russian meteorite was significantly different than the trajectory of the asteroid 2012 DA14, making it a completely unrelated object. Information is still being collected about the Russian meteorite and analysis is preliminary at this point. In videos of the meteor, it is seen to pass from left to right in front of the rising sun, which means it was traveling from north to south. Asteroid DA14's trajectory is in the opposite direction, from south to north."

http://www.spaceweather.com
User avatar
Corona
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:10 am

Re: Asteroids

Unread postby nick c » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Coincidence? That is hard to swallow.
Perhaps 2012 DA14 had some accompanying debris and one of these pieces did a partial orbit of the Earth before entering the upper atmosphere from the opposite direction of the motion of 2012 DA14.
User avatar
nick c
Moderator
 
Posts: 2446
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: connecticut

PreviousNext

Return to Electric Universe - Planetary Science

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest