Questioning the Ice Ages

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

seasmith

Re: Questioning the Ice Ages

Unread post by seasmith » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:29 pm

~
≈ 11,00 BC

published this week in the Journal of Geology ("Nanodiamond-Rich Layer across Three Continents Consistent with Major Cosmic Impact at 12,800 Cal BP"

“We conclusively have identified a thin layer over three continents, particularly in North America and Western Europe, that contain a rich assemblage of nanodiamonds, the production of which can be explained only by cosmic impact,” Kennett said. “We have also found YDB glassy and metallic materials formed at temperatures in excess of 2200 degrees Celsius, which could not have resulted from wildfires, volcanism or meteoritic flux, but only from cosmic impact.”
The team found that the YDB layer also contained larger than normal amounts of cosmic impact spherules, high-temperature melt-glass, grapelike soot clusters, charcoal, carbon spherules, osmium, platinum and other materials. But in this paper the researchers focused their multi-analytical approach exclusively on nanodiamonds, which were found in several forms, including cubic (the form of diamonds used in jewelry) and hexagonal crystals.

To date, scientists know of only two layers in which more than one identification of nanodiamonds has been found: the YDB 12,800 years ago and the well-known Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary 65 million years ago, which is marked by the mass extinction of the dinosaurs, ammonites and many other groups.

Nanodiamonds are forever http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology- ... z3Bdb5RTRs

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:21 pm

There is another page with a similar title:

Nano-diamonds are forever
Professor Alon Hoffman of the Schulich Faculty of Chemistry tells how he exploited unexpected results on his way to uncovering the mechanism for nano-diamond formation from energetic species.
A Dusk Discovery

Another such unusual occasion, during which an accidental result produced the solution to a great mystery, helped Hoffman to contribute to the clarification of the mechanism of diamond nucleation from energetic species.

The discovery occurred when Hoffman and his team investigated the effect of an electrical field on the formation process of nano-diamonds. Here too the experiment initially provided incompatible findings, but everything changed thanks to one moment of serendipity and scientific intuition. It was about dusk, so that the light in the lab was dim. A research student (Irina Gouzman) called Hoffman to check the deposition system and then started the process as she had already done many times before. She activated the electrical field but this time forgot to turn on the extremely hot wire. In the shadowy light of the lab, to their surprise the researchers noticed a spark within the experimental device that had remained dark because the heated wire had not been turned on.

True to his method of operation, Hoffman focused on the unexpected result and understood that something very important had happened. The team continued looking into the phenomenon until the picture sharpened and came into focus. It turned out that the electrical field is what caused the electrical discharge and this event created the energetic species that contribute to the formation of the nano-diamonds that constitute the initial crystallization clusters. Under these conditions the carbon and hydrogen ions accelerate rapidly to the surface in which they are implanted and form the initial diamond nucleus.
Nano-diamonds are forever
http://schulich.technion.ac.il/Nano-diamonds-forever/
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:01 am

~
Gary, i agree, what they call "impact" could very well have been an electrical 'jolt'.
Interesting that the affected zone continues to center around the Great Lakes / Hudson Bay area (with west wind drift ?).

btw, that was meant to be 11,000 BC, not 1100. Big numbers confuse me...

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:28 am

Interesting that the affected zone continues to center around the Great Lakes / Hudson Bay area
The Gulf of Mexico too it seems to me.
Gary, i agree, what they call "impact" could very well have been an electrical 'jolt'.
I see it as not being one big jolt, but a swath or stream of plasma reaching down close to the surface, so between the bottom of the swath and the surface the electric field gradient is sufficient to cause billions of small discharges.
Much as I see for the formation of pebbles, including the mini-pebbles, along the foreshore of oceans and lakes, and the river and stream beds.
I was just looking at an image from the Huckabee trail, in Arizona:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DJYsQiP8BGY/U ... 00/18b.jpg
The rounded boulders in my local rivers and streams are from glaciation I am told, but I can find no reference to glaciation having affected Arizona. So in that case it is water and weathering rounding the rocks? Must have been over many millions of years I guess.
btw, that was meant to be 11,000 BC, not 1100.
I knew that's what you meant to say. I usually blame my keyboard. :D
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

ElecGeekMom

Unread post by ElecGeekMom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:27 pm

I thought I had read somewhere that there is a layer of nanodiamonds covering the entire planet. While I was trying to find something about that, I ran into this article, which talks about there being a "tremendous radiocarbon anomaly that distorts C-14 dating for about 2,000 years" at the same time as the nanodiamonds' creation:

http://www.evolutionaryleaps.com/2011/1 ... ppearance/

I really have trouble accepting that a comet impact did all that.

At any rate, can we use the EU paradigm to estimate what atmospheric conditions might have been in play to enable creation of the nanodiamonds and the radiocarbon anomaly? I didn't really see anything in the two recent articles (cited above) that talked about what conditions they used in their experiments...aside from the hot wire's not being turned on.

I've been leaning towards a situation where the large species died because the most of the atmosphere got blasted away by some kind of extreme event like the Tunguska event. If the atmosphere got greatly depleted by something like that, I can see where only the smaller species could survive...it could also lead human survivors to talk about the "sky falling", which I know we discuss sometimes.

I also wonder whether (and where) on the earth humans might survive something like that. I'm thinking humans survived something similar before. But where? And if it happened again, would the epicenter be in the same hemisphere as before? Are there EM properties of the planet that make certain places "hotspots" for cosmic EM energies to make contact? Has someone already figured this all out? :twisted:

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:03 pm

by ElecGeekMom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:27 pm

I thought I had read somewhere that there is a layer of nanodiamonds covering the entire planet. While I was trying to find something about that, I ran into this article, which talks about there being a "tremendous radiocarbon anomaly that distorts C-14 dating for about 2,000 years" at the same time as the nanodiamonds' creation:

At any rate, can we use the EU paradigm to estimate what atmospheric conditions might have been in play to enable creation of the nanodiamonds and the radiocarbon anomaly? I didn't really see anything in the two recent articles (cited above) that talked about what conditions they used in their experiments...aside from the hot wire's not being turned on.

I've been leaning towards a situation where the large species died because the most of the atmosphere got blasted away by some kind of extreme event like the Tunguska event. If the atmosphere got greatly depleted by something like that, I can see where only the smaller species could survive...it could also lead human survivors to talk about the "sky falling", which I know we discuss sometimes.

I also wonder whether (and where) on the earth humans might survive something like that. I'm thinking humans survived something similar before.

EGM, While we're in an area of speculation, i would agree with your opine that a cometary impact probably wouldn't do all that; most probably something much more electric and sustained.
Also agree that "atmosphere" is key to comprehending the longer-term effects.
On the other hand, what is 2000 years in the scenario of an ice age (one of many) that lasted for multi-millennia ? ?

Been reading a lot of pre-c and chalcolithic archeology studies lately and, regardless of the radio-carbon-dating margins-of-error factored in, it seems that whenever the last ice age ended,
and for whatever reasons, that is when human artifacts go from stone axes to stone ashlars and monuments.
Coincidently, that's about the period when the beasties depicted on the stone carvings went smaller;
all supporting your "atmospheric" prognosis, imho…
s

ElecGeekMom

Unread post by ElecGeekMom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:14 pm

seasmith wrote:
by ElecGeekMom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:27 pm

I also wonder whether (and where) on the earth humans might survive something like that. I'm thinking humans survived something similar before.

EGM, While we're in an area of speculation, i would agree with your opine that a cometary impact probably wouldn't do all that; most probably something much more electric and sustained.
Also agree that "atmosphere" is key to comprehending the longer-term effects.
On the other hand, what is 2000 years in the scenario of an ice age (one of many) that lasted for multi-millennia ? ?

Been reading a lot of pre-c and chalcolithic archeology studies lately and, regardless of the radio-carbon-dating margins-of-error factored in, it seems that whenever the last ice age ended,
and for whatever reasons, that is when human artifacts go from stone axes to stone ashlars and monuments.
Coincidently, that's about the period when the beasties depicted on the stone carvings went smaller;
all supporting your "atmospheric" prognosis, imho…
s

Re the 2000 years relative to an eons-long ice age - - - agreed! I have to take everyone's time estimates with a few grains of salt, especially if we try to factor in extreme EM events that can muddy the evidence.

I just had a thought about the transition from stone axes to stone ashlars/monuments - - - I wonder if, once the large beasties were removed, then did that make it possible for man to put the effort into creating the stone objects that were an expression of the sort of regularity and order they desired to see in what remained of the world? In other words, if they no longer had to expend a lot of effort to merely survive amidst the large beasties, then they had to find something else to expend their energies towards.

Still, it's just speculation!

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:32 am

Most people accept that there have been many ice ages, some lasting for many millenia, but what is that model based on? Nothing that I can see that couldn't be explained by other scenarios.
Evidence for ice ages
Despite the difficulties, analysis of ice core and ocean sediment cores[31] has shown periods of glacials and interglacials over the past few million years. These also confirm the linkage between ice ages and continental crust phenomena such as glacial moraines, drumlins, and glacial erratics. Hence the continental crust phenomena are accepted as good evidence of earlier ice ages when they are found in layers created much earlier than the time range for which ice cores and ocean sediment cores are available.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age#Ev ... r_ice_ages

As for how humans or some other life survived, I still have to consider that the Ancient Greeks may have been correct, that sometimes nothing did survive, or as the Great Deluge of the Bible tells us, only those who were chosen survived. NIAMI material of course.

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:19 am

In my earth history scenarios, the Mexican Gulf and Hudson's Bay [imaginatively along with possibly the Pacific Basin] are centers of the event[s]* that initiated the seafloor rift/spreading and subsequent [rapid] continental separation. Now in terms of age dating, radiocarbon or otherwise, I see the Ice Age as merely the Icing layer of an event [or related series of events] that would be traceable back to the Cambrian "explosion", and that would include the KT event[s], et al, as a mid-phase. This is supported as well by the correlation of other known astroblemes with virtually every major layer of the so-called "geologic column". The entire history of the earth [back to the Cambrian] would then be seen to be the result of this related cascade of events. I disavow the radiometric dating methods of U-Pb, Rb-Sr, and other similar methods [for reasons explained on various past threads] that result in the very old dates which have become part of the culture of modern scientific thinking; radiocarbon on the other hand has a timing curve which by presuming a lower rate of C14 inclusion in the ancient troposhere can be accordioned into the past several thousands of years. Thus the timing of the Ice "Age" simply means the timing of the "end"** of this series of events. This is my young earth scenario...
*events? Impacts either mechanical or EDM, or combinations of both as witnessed in fireball events...
**end? We are still living in this cascade of climate change; so "rightly" understood, considerate observation of present day catastrophic events should lead to important understanding of the catastrophic nature of earth history...
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.