Electric Volcanoes

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

seasmith

Re: Bright light over Llaima Volcano, Chile

Unread post by seasmith » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:18 am

This was the Pinatubo, Phlipines picture they were talking about in the New Scientist article that i cited .

Mount Redoubt, Alaska

"...photo showing the eruption of Mount Chaiten in Chile, capturing a rare look at a plume spinning around its vertical axis and enveloped in a sheet of lightning.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =102294844

Llaima, Chile photo at top of this thread (and vith multiple views below) does look like windshield artifact.

s

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:20 pm

redeye wrote:It looks like the reflection from glass, like if the photo was taken from inside a vehicle.
John Silver wrote:Actually, the photo is exposed from inside the car and it is the flash reflected in the window.
Typical for many "UFO" photos.
That was my first thought... Would probably need to know more about circumstances. Was this taken while driving? While parked but still inside car? While outside? While hiking? Context helps. My guess would, as with prior posters, be that it was taken inside the car and the light is simply reflected from the flash to the window and back to the camera's aperture... It does look visually much like a reflected flash...

Regards,
~Michael
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:09 pm

Mount Redoubt

Could be a coincidence, but:
"Volcanic ash and moondust have a lot in common," says Carole McLemore* of the Marshall Space Flight Center. "Both coat things and stick to them, are grimy, abrasive, damaging to equipment and vehicles, susceptible to electric charging, and risky to inhale.
Dust particles on the Moon are also electrified, at least in part, by the buffeting of the Solar wind.
Particles of ash rubbing together in the cloud (like socks rubbing against carpet) are partly responsible for the buildup of electrostatic charge.
How lightning happens:
Lightning is a flow of electricity between two masses that have different electric charge. Electric charge is the ratio of electrons to protons in some quantity of matter…
The specific mechanism by which particles of differing charge are separated is unknown (step 3 in the figure).
But the volcano dust electro-static charge is from "friction" ?
First of all, lightning is apparently not the result of friction inside an ash cloud. Though the contact between particles is most likely part of the story, it’s not actually the mechanical resistance (friction) during that contact that matters.
or maybe Telluric breath..?
And that’s basically the story as it’s understood now. Nobody knows exactly what goes on when individual particles in the eruption plume interact, but somehow charge gets exchanged and the exchange is biased in some way so particles with different charge are segregated. This charge separation on a giant scale leads to lightning.
I choose 'C', both.
~

Sandra Rodriguez

Unread post by Sandra Rodriguez » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:38 pm

This is valuable info. Thank you for sharing!

The Great Dog

Unread post by The Great Dog » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:18 pm

The Great Dog has been reading POD articles for the past couple weeks. Here are some bones from the archive:

Alaskan Volcano Spits Lightning

Volcanic Lightning
There are no other dogs but The Great Dog

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:57 pm

I was watching a video taken from the boat Lavacat that was filming one of the Hawaiian vents at nightfall, and they got some good images of small scale lightning even from the little vent.

Interestingly enough, you would see a flash illuminate the ash plume and about a second later you would see a spurt of lava erupt out of the vent. Coincidence or co-related?

I wonder if NASA or NOAA have ever looked at a volcanic eruption with their satellites to see if there isn't an 'ion plume' that goes up above the 'thermal ash plume' above the vent. It would be a feather in the cap of the EU proponents if there was a visible charge column going up to space above the things.

Mike H.
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

Sandra Rodriguez

Unread post by Sandra Rodriguez » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:54 pm

Great info Mike. Thanks!

rduke

Unread post by rduke » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:41 pm

This reminds me...

I just saw an article on msnbc saying "sprites" (now being disseminated down the common knowledge pipeline) -And ball lightning are to blame for a large portion of "UFO" cases...

and I am sorta inclined to think that...

Which makes me think about that Nasa tether incident.. - Which brought out those big round disks with a hole in the middle and a notch on the side, out in mass... Which makes it even more interesting as, (UFO people tend to hold those videos in very high regard as proof)-- Those big glowing disks seem to be routinely recorded by astronauts when they film giant thunderstorms...

The magically appear when there is alot of electrical activity going on in the local region of space... they also simply disappear just as fast as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPR1yI3XSI Nasa Tether incident..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJyuQVIFdKo Nasa STS-80

and there are many more...

To me I think they are an electrodynamic phenomena = People with no concept of this reality-- call it aliens.

lol

Sandra Rodriguez

Unread post by Sandra Rodriguez » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:32 pm

You will find extremely important information about sprites, fireballs, and other self-luminous phenomena in:

PLANETOPHYSICAL FUNCTION OF VACUUM DOMAINS
A.N. Dmitriev , V.L. Dyatlov , A.V. Tetenov
(Geology institute UIGGM, Mathematics institute SB RAS, Gorno-Altaisk state University.)
http://www.tmgnow.com/repository/planetary/pfvd.html

Dr. Alexey Dmitriev has also been known for pioneering UFO research, from early on, even under unfavorable conditions in past USSR times. In the few essays by Dr. Dmitriev available in English I have observed that he does not mix up the subjects. UfO research is one thing, and self-luminous formations are studied using a model of non-homogeneous physical vacuum.

Related essays by Dr. Alexey Dmitriev:

PLANETOPHYSICAL STATE OF THE EARTH AND LIFE
By DR. ALEXEY N. DMITRIEV* January 8, 1998
Professor of Geology and Mineralogy, and Chief Scientific Member, United Institute of Geology, Geophysics, and Mineralogy, Siberian Department of Russian Academy of Sciences. Expert on Global Ecology, and Fast-Processing Earth Events.
http://www.tmgnow.com/repository/global ... sical.html

Some lines of investigations on properties of natural self-luminous formations using a model of non-homogeneous physical vacuum
by A.N Dmitriev, V.L.Dyatlov
Institute of Geology UIGGM and Institute of Mathematics, Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk.
http://www.tmgnow.com/repository/solar/Dmitriev.html

PHYSICAL MODEL OF KIMBERLITE PIPE FORMATION
New Constraints From Theory of Non-Homogenous Physical Vacuum
by Dmitriev, A.N., Institute of Geology SB RAS; Dyatlov, V.L., Institute of Mathematics SB RAS; Litasov, K.D., Institute of Geology SB RAS.
http://www.tmgnow.com/repository/planet ... erlite.htm
l

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:08 am

mharratsc wrote:I was watching a video taken from the boat Lavacat that was filming one of the Hawaiian vents at nightfall, and they got some good images of small scale lightning even from the little vent.

Interestingly enough, you would see a flash illuminate the ash plume and about a second later you would see a spurt of lava erupt out of the vent. Coincidence or co-related?
Interesting!
mharratsc wrote:I wonder if NASA or NOAA have ever looked at a volcanic eruption with their satellites to see if there isn't an 'ion plume' that goes up above the 'thermal ash plume' above the vent. It would be a feather in the cap of the EU proponents if there was a visible charge column going up to space above the things.

Mike H.
That would be kind of cool to see. :)

But would NASA be that inventive without some "impetus"? ;)

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:10 am

rduke wrote:Those big glowing disks seem to be routinely recorded by astronauts when they film giant thunderstorms...
Are we talking ELVES here, or something else?

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin

rduke

Unread post by rduke » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:27 pm

MGmirkin wrote:
rduke wrote:Those big glowing disks seem to be routinely recorded by astronauts when they film giant thunderstorms...
Are we talking ELVES here, or something else?

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin

Personally I think they are ELVES of some sort or another type of EM event...

Take a quick look at those two links I posted, what do you think they are?

They have been recorded many, many times... They certainly do not look manufactured, other then they are round, move fast and glow...which does not mean they are manufactured by alien beings.. lol

Take a close look at the following picture...

Notice the cloud ring?

You can find these rings in images like that fairly consistently... Just as you can see an almost identical mirror to Hoags object in the Hoags object image..

Sure they are different scales, but I think we are sorta used to that here..

I see the connection between these lights around Volcanos, Earthquakes, Storms, etc, etc.. Which are very often reported as UFO's ... and the EU/PU paradigm can explain them quite nicely...

saturnine

Unread post by saturnine » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:09 pm

rduke wrote:Image
I'm assuming we're looking at part of the tether here? It was what, about 12 miles long and a few inches wide? Whatever the "objects" are it doesn't seem like they can be very large. Certainly not kilometers wide, like I've seen folks claim. And why do we only see these "objects" from above/below, shouldn't other angles be visible as well? Sounds like a clue to me.

rduke

Unread post by rduke » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:37 pm

Well these "objects" are fairly large... Even that image sorta confirms that.

However they don't look very thick to me... However if you watch the video you will see tons of them, and one of them is easily half the size as the tether is long as it passes behind it...

To me it is a plasma event...

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZb1xhC8fs0

Read the comments section for above video here (scroll down for the saner ones), http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet? ... Zb1xhC8fs0

Then check out this one here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOJXlFR3yYc

and read the comments section.

Then we have,

On both missions significant technical problems occurred. On STS-46, the tethered satellite jammed twice on the reel while the satellite was 179 and, later, 256 meters away from the orbiter. The satellite could not be deployed any further. On STS-75, the satellite was extended 19.7 kilometers when the tether broke near the boom. The satellite and tether drifted away safely from the orbiter and were not retrievable. Up to the time of the severing of the tether, the orbiter-tethered satellite system had been generating 3,500 volts and up to 0.5 amps of current.

Later investigation of the problems that occurred on the two missions determined that the tether on the first flight was snagged by the mechanism that unreeled it from the orbiter. The break of the tether on the second mission occurred because of either a flaw in the insulation or the penetration of a foreign object into the insulation causing an electrical arc from the tether to a nearby ground. The arcing severed the tether.

http://quest.nasa.gov/space/teachers/li ... ether.html
So we have an electrical, plasma environment filled with unspecified particles (ice particles according to NASA per one of the comments; could be fuel particles, ionized whatever particles), and older camera technology ...
"The camera was a Silicon Intensified Target Vidicon tube type mounted in the payload bay (not IR or UV sensitive as David Sereda would love people to believe). We're talking old thermionic tube technology with good sensitivity due to the image intensifier, but a number of issues such as excessive blooming and dark current, poor resolution and linearity, as well as microphony and cosmic ray susceptibility. Interestingly, there's a NASA document describing a focus fault a PLB camera during STS-75."
... I personally don't know what the "old thermionic tube" technology is/was but I suspect it may have to do with the synchronous pulsating of the particles seen in the videos - probably having to do with whatever frequency the camera and onboard electrical system frequencies are as well as the nature of the generated 3500 volts/~.5 amp generated by the tether system and the obviously charged condition of the detached tether. An electrified, plasma environment does, after all, shimmer, shine, and pulsate (the auroras, for example).

And then we have "airy disks," (Google "sts-75 and airy disks" for more)

http://www.projectprove.com/Arts/075/075.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYLHqv-foMk

The above video uploader's comments:
A CCTV camera tracking an unknown light source in Little Hulton, UK on September 12th 1993. When out of focus, the object appears donut shaped with notches which shift according to it's position within the field of view. Notice also the onset of barrel distortion as the object approaches the optical periphery. The dark diagonal line is merely the shadow of a strand-like object immediately in front of the lens. Whatever the nature of the light source (probably nothing out of the ordinary), this footage is a classic demonstration of how anomalous objects can be conjured through improper use of a camera lens.

These camera artifacts are very similar to those present in NASA's STS-75 tether footage. The camera's zoom lens was probably similar in construction to NASA's MLA*, with 3 guide shafts supporting the lenses (1 vertically opposed to a close pair), and a rotating barrel with cam grooves which displaced the lenses along the optical axis. The notches are merely shadows of the lens guide shafts, and as the object moves vertically within the field of view, various combinations of upper and lower shafts impinge upon the image (the zoom setting is also a factor).

* Monochrome Lens Assembly, fitted to NASA's SIT Vidicon tube cameras.

The donut appearance is often described as an 'airy disc' (named after George Airy). This is a contentious issue, as many people simply google the term and find themselves viewing a computer generated model (ideal) of an aperture induced diffraction pattern. Such models are often enhanced in order to illustrate the faint outer concentric rings produced by constructive/destructive interference of light waves which are out of phase. For some reason, the distinction between an 'airy disc' and an 'airy pattern' is often completely overlooked, leading to unwarranted dismissal of the airy disc theory in the absence of visible outer rings. In reality, the term 'airy disc' merely describes the bright centre of an 'airy pattern' and therefore does not require the presence of visible outer rings. Matters are further complicated when an object is out of focus, which with certain lens configurations results in this donut appearance. Astronomers are known to deliberately defocus stars in order to check the collimation of reflector telescopes, and often refer to the result as an 'out of focus airy disc'.

Unlike NASA's STS-75 tether footage, this video shows a single out of focus object. This is unfortunate, as i believe that if the camera were focussed on a bright more distant object, that object would actually appear to be in the foreground (the same optical illusion responsible for tales of 3 miles wide UFOs 'behind' the tether). Many people seem unable to accept this concept, despite it being intuitively obvious and well understood by those who frequently use cameras. I could attempt an explanation, but experience suggests that it would be futile. Instead i am going to pose a question: During the STS-75 tether footage, the camera oscillates on it's pan/tilt unit following remote aim adjustment. If the so-called UFOs were really behind the tether, then why was their displacement considerably greater than that of the tether during the oscillation? The only plausible explanation is that the so-called UFOs were actually in the foreground. This basic principle (motion parallax) can be appreciated by anyone with a pair of eyes, and is therefore not easily dismissed due to lack of relevant experience.

On the subject of SIT Vidicon tube cameras: Certain individuals insist on claiming that Vidicon cameras were only used prior to 1990, in an effort to discredit official STS-75 analyses, and support bogus UV sensitive camera claims by David Sereda. I strongly suspect the source of this misinformation to be http://www.wikipedia.org. I would like to remind people that while Wikipedia is great, it is an open source encyclopedia, and as such can never be considered reliable. I very much doubt that the person who added the entry for 'Vidicon camera tube' was even aware that NASA used such devices. Anyway, here is a sample of the many documents and videos which prove that Vidicon cameras were in use up to 1997:

http://www.shuttlepresskit.com/scom/2...

http://ams.allenpress.com/archive/152...

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/cas...
(Press ctrl+f and enter 'black-and-white' in the search field)

http://ston.jsc.nasa.gov/collections/...
(Press ctrl+f and enter 'MLA' in the search field)

Vidicon footage from STS-82 (6:48-7:08 and 11:22-11:42):
http://www.nss.org/resources/library/...

Comments and mature logical discussion are welcome, but posts containing such phrases as "the truth is out there" and "wake up people", or anything which implies some form of conspiracy will be blocked with great pleasure ;)
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad