Electric Volcanoes

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Ion01

Re: Bright light over Llaima Volcano, Chile

Unread post by Ion01 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:58 pm

In response to the objects around the tether looking manufactured:
There are obviously objects there, however, it is very doubtful that they are of the shape in the image. If you notice the tether appears to be much wider than would be expected. This is probably due to it being out of focus. The shape of the lights would also be due to being out of focus with an added effect not normal present in camera lenses. This was most likely taken through a telescope with a mirror towards the end of the telescope where the light enters (some type or variation of a dobsonian). The mirror is most likely held in place by a single arm. This arm is the dark line in the "object" and the mirror is the dark center. Most of the shelf dobsonians have three arms to hold the mirror which become visible in a similar manner when pointing at a bright point source (star) and bringing it dramatically out of focus. There is obviously a bright source of light that is a "point" relative to the magnifications but they do not have the shape they appear to in the image. I would show the effect if I had a dob but I don't, I have a Maksutov-Cassegrain.

Ion01

Unread post by Ion01 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:45 pm

I just noticed someone else also commented on the out of focus issue. Also, after inspection of the video (I could not access the videos at work earlier) it is pretty clear that it is a focus issue. The best indication that it was a focus issue is at 2:18 in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPR1yI3XSI the really bright object or reflection on the right produces a series of faint rings accross the view, which is made up of a circle of rings. As the focus changes the rings change.
It is still incredible how many objects there are and the fact that they shouldn't be there either (by standard understandings of space).
Also, if you look at their movements it looks like debri, dust, etc... that has entered the field of the tether and is acting like a comet does around the sun or meteors around the earth.

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:58 pm

~
Ion01,

A voice of reason, And experience .

Most welcome and appreciated!

s

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:12 pm

Hello Ion01,
Yes, the more I look at the video, the more I like the out of focus explanation. Perhaps they are some kind of particles reflecting the sunlight, out of the depth of field of the camera resulting in an out of focus image in the form of a donut. Any camera lens with a central obstruction (secondary mirror) would give that result.
I don't buy your Dobsonian explanation, though. A Dobsonian is a type of alt-azimith mounting for a Newtonian reflector telescope. It was invented by John Dobson to provide an economical means for the backyard amateur to manage a relatively large aperature telescope. Way to low tech for NASA. I would doubt that they would use a Newtonian design for the type of photography used in the tether experiment, just not that practical. It looks to be catadioptric, possibly the same or a variation of your own telescope's Maksutov-Cassegrain design. They are compact and make excellent telephoto lenses.

nick c

Ion01

Unread post by Ion01 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:14 am

I agree. After looking at the video and not just the picture it is probably something closer the the scope I have and not a dob design. I could produce a similar effect with mine being there is a central obstruction, like you said.
Also, your explanation of particles is interesting. Unfortunately I can access the video here from work but if I remember correctly it my be possible that the tether appears "out of focus" because of its size when in reality is it just over exposed because it is so bright. When they zoom in on it it could give you an indication if this was the case, however, if I recall correctly, when it is zoomed out the particles are visible and when they zoom in the become out of focus which to me would indicate they are there and the camera is just not refocusing as it zooms in.

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:10 pm

I finally took the time to look at that video myself. Not what I was anticipating. I'd have to concur that what is shown is out of focus, highly reflective particles that are very near the camera's viewport.

Here I was thinking this was referring to some incandescent, spherical plasma phenomena too >.<
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:39 pm

I'm still not convinced it is a focus issue only, I must say the youtube is not very clear, but being in possesion of the DVD version which shows a lot more detail it becomes very difficult to detemine
Of course the general image of the donut shape is most probably an camera-artifact, but there is also imagery of zooming in and out showing different levels of depth of view, also several missions are shown which are not merely US missions
But what I found more interesting for the EU is the 2nd phenomena which is mentioned and shown, which seem to resemble the fleeting corkscrew stripes in the images of SOHO (?), they are more near the lens and might show some lectric interaction possibly
The illusion from which we are seeking to extricate ourselves is not that constituted by the realm of space and time, but that which comes from failing to know that realm from the standpoint of a higher vision. -L.H.

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:43 am

hi StefanR,
I'm still not convinced it is a focus issue only, I must say the youtube is not very clear
Agreed. The question is, if it is an out of focus image, what is the object(s) that is out of focus?
Particles from the spacecraft or the tether?

nick c

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:09 pm

nick c wrote:hi StefanR,
I'm still not convinced it is a focus issue only, I must say the youtube is not very clear
Agreed. The question is, if it is an out of focus image, what is the object(s) that is out of focus?

nick c
Probably water/ice ... somewhere in the material I posted earlier was a reference to their having dumped water (waste?) shortly before the filming. Something like that.
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:17 am

arc-us wrote:
nick c wrote:hi StefanR,

nick c

Probably water/ice ... somewhere in the material I posted earlier was a reference to their having dumped water (waste?) shortly before the filming. Something like that.

I'm sorry, I think I have misstated what I planned to say
I agree in large part with what Ion01 is stating about the general appereance, as can be seen in the tether-video, though not every mission shows it in that way other camera systems seem to have been in play to and don't show the notched disc, but something is there, and that is my still my view, if it's some form of dust or ice, then wouldn't it be somesort of indication of the behaviour of dusty plasma, which would be highly interesting
The only problem with just flat out saying it's dumped ice or waste from the shuttle is that it's not one mission in which it is seen but in multiple missions, not only US/EU but also Russian missions
I have some small problems than with the fact that in all those missions and places Mir, Space Station, Shuttle, Thether, athmosphere they are dumping water or waste,if that would follow from it being dumped water
Maybe dusty plasma behaviour might explain why that dumped water or waste or exhaust from thrusters moves the way it does and seems to be coming from all directions and moving from very slow speeds to wooshing past by
Dusty plasma might explain how there can be seen supposedly geometric formations as in coulomb crystals and coulomb balls
Another oddity remains if one looks at more that just the short grainy Youtube bits is this, from the communications between Houston and space it is easy to learn that they don't know what it is, they come up with suggestions like shooting stars and ice, but that doesn't hold for all observations, now if one comes across something unknown or is not sure what to make of it, wouldn't it be fun to make sure you take that extra information aside the experiment one was conducting, but that is not the case if one takes time too see the collection as a whole, then one would be forced to conclude that it's not something they want in the picture as they put masks and filters to block out as much as possible of what can been seen, of course one could say it is done for countering glare and straylight from the sun, but that is such obvious misinformation that it almost reeks of disinformation, as one only has to look to the actions displayed in the movie itself that such a suggestion is almost comical,
If you really want to get into this, and I personally still favor dusty plasma as possible, and you haven't seen the film itself but only the Youtube portions, I would suggest either first have a look at the below link for some introduction to all phenomena mentioned as the discs is only a small part of the whole, the best would be to have a look at the dvd version which one has to buy or in other ways the internet has made possible, the quality is much better

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid= ... ions&hl=nl
The illusion from which we are seeking to extricate ourselves is not that constituted by the realm of space and time, but that which comes from failing to know that realm from the standpoint of a higher vision. -L.H.

psi

Electric Volcano

Unread post by psi » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:02 am

Apologies if this has already been posted

http://www.upi.com/News_Photos/features ... 246/?pva=1

allynh

Re: Electric Volcano

Unread post by allynh » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:40 am

I've been having fun during my disaster movie marathon, laughing at all the outrageous movie events. These series of photos are genuinely scary.

There have been many TPODs that discuss lightning, tornadoes, hurricanes, as all being a similar electrical event.

The pictures show that when a volcano erupts with these pyroclastic explosions that the whole eruption is electric, not just a pot boiling over.

NBC is showing _Meteor_ the next two Sunday nights, and then the next Sunday night will be _The Storm_. I started my disaster movie marathon when ABC showed _Impact_ a couple of weeks ago. The typical Hollywood disaster movie is usually a fun romp, getting all the science wrong.

I wonder if you guys have stopped to realize how scary all this EU stuff really is.

moses

Unread post by moses » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:39 pm

I wonder if you guys have stopped to realize how scary all this EU stuff really is.
allynh

Living inside a plasma bubble which is inside another plasma bubble
seems scary, but we are protected unless something very unusual
happens. Such as a large astral body encountering the Solar System,
or the Solar System entering a double layer, however such things
can be estimated and are extremely unlikely. Actually, there is
more danger from the Earth slowly losing it's magnetic field, but
we will have thousands of years to prepare for this.
Mo

redeye

Unread post by redeye » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:46 am

allynh
It's not the disasters themselves which are scary, more mankind's response to them, if Hollywood is anything to go by.

Comet approaching the Earth: Nuke it!
Earth's magnetic field fading: Nuke it!
Reduction in energy from the Sun: Nuke it!

Nuclear weapons are the ultimate Deus Ex Machina.

Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:16 am

Many times, allynh!
Our survival on an earth even occasionally subject to huge electrical discharges, high energy 'rays' and dissociating plasma clouds would seem doubtful.
There must have been periods of stability long enough to allow for evolution, and then places on the earth where somehow, samples of this evolved life survived.
It looks more and more to me that life must have been encouraged and protected by unknown others. Maybe the pyramids were part of a system that could set up a much stronger EM field to shield us?
Or maybe the unknown others, after a major 'storm' just said, Oh dear, better make some more creatures.
Seeing as we are already closing in on the ability to create and modify life as we wish, the unknown others might not need to be too far advanced from us.

One of the regular posters to TB, I think, linked to a file which described a ships captain observing a volcano where large chunks or plates of rock were rising silently into the air, and the whole event, magma rising and all, was taking place in an eerie silence. I'm wondering if whoever posted it, might re-post it. Thanks.
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller