Electric Volcanoes

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

popster1

Re: Chile's Chaiten Volcano Eruption (lots of lightning pics)

Unread post by popster1 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:22 pm

Has anyone ever looked above a volcano's eruption cloud to see if there are discharge phenomena going into space (like those observed above thunderstorms)?
I've lived long enough to see nearly everything I ever believed to be true disproved at least once.

substance

Unread post by substance » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:49 am

popster1 wrote:Has anyone ever looked above a volcano's eruption cloud to see if there are discharge phenomena going into space (like those observed above thunderstorms)?
Too dangerous even for the highest altitude planes. Maybe satellite photos?
My personal blog about science, technology, society and politics. - Putredo Mundi

redeye

Unread post by redeye » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:48 pm

Has anyone ever looked above a volcano's eruption cloud to see if there are discharge phenomena going into space (like those observed above thunderstorms)?
I wondered about this too. It seems to be large, positive discharge events that are linked to upper atmosphere discharge events, the postive part refers to the direction the current is travelling i.e ground to cloud and these large strikes seem to traverse the voltage bridge between the ground and the tropospheric/stratospheric boundary.

I would expect there to be upper atmospheric discharges for every positive lightning strike associated with the volcano, these may even be more energetic than normal.

I find it interesting that, due to our improved predictions regarding volcanic eruptions, there is very little loss of life from the volcanic part of volcanic eruptions, however many people are still killed by the lightning associated with volcanoes.

Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

saturnine

Unread post by saturnine » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:57 am

redeye wrote: Also, if you look at image 13 in the gallery above, you can see the green lightning bolt that I alluded to earlier...it may just be the same bolt from a different angle but the scene looks different. I can't remember seeing a green bolt of lightning before, would the colour of the bolt have any significance?
That greenish bolt is the first thing my wife commented on when she saw this pic. It's interesting, why would one bolt look that way when all the others in the pic are "normal"?

substance

Unread post by substance » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:28 am

saturnine wrote:
redeye wrote: Also, if you look at image 13 in the gallery above, you can see the green lightning bolt that I alluded to earlier...it may just be the same bolt from a different angle but the scene looks different. I can't remember seeing a green bolt of lightning before, would the colour of the bolt have any significance?
That greenish bolt is the first thing my wife commented on when she saw this pic. It's interesting, why would one bolt look that way when all the others in the pic are "normal"?
Interesting, I saw this picture now for the first time. Any speculations on the greenish lightning?
My personal blog about science, technology, society and politics. - Putredo Mundi

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:10 pm

Perhaps the quality of the air that is being ionized may have something to do with the lightning color? That is a lot of ash.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

popster1

Unread post by popster1 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:22 pm

saturnine wrote:That greenish bolt is the first thing my wife commented on when she saw this pic. It's interesting, why would one bolt look that way when all the others in the pic are "normal"?
I'm thinking that bolt is "inside" the eruption cloud so the light is being filtered somewhat. It's not uncommon, in my experience, for white objects to color shift when attenuated by dust. Perhaps the lightning's spectrum is rich in green, but so intense at all wavelengths that it saturates the detection device (sensor or emulsion) and appears white. Just speculating....
I've lived long enough to see nearly everything I ever believed to be true disproved at least once.

Sandra Rodriguez

Bright light over Llaima Volcano, Chile

Unread post by Sandra Rodriguez » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:22 pm

On December 6, 2008, in southern Chile, Army sargeant Fernando Yáñez Muñoz took a photo of the 3125 meters high Llaima volcano, showing a huge bright light hovering over it. The photo and the report posted by Raul Gajardo Leopold on December 23 appear in the NOUFA blog:

http://noufa2.blogspot.com/

I would like to know what the Electric Universe researchers think about the light hovering over the volcano, located within the Congûillio National Park. Llaima, one of the largest and most active volcanoes in Chile, had erupted violently on the first day of January 2008.

Many observers think that the light in the December 6 photo might be a UFO, perhaps related to spectacular lights recorded on December 9 over the capital, Santiago. But then, there may be another explanation. The video recorded on December 9 of the lights over Santiago may be seen at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcqBvEbv ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbBdviua ... re=related
Llaima Volcano, Chile
Llaima Volcano, Chile

Steve Smith

Re: Bright light over Llaima Volcano, Chile

Unread post by Steve Smith » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:39 pm

It looks to me like an overexposed image. It appears to be either a lenticular cloud or a sundog.

redeye

Unread post by redeye » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:20 pm

It looks like the reflection from glass, like if the photo was taken from inside a vehicle. I've read of strange lights over earthquakes but not volcanoes.
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

Sandra Rodriguez

Unread post by Sandra Rodriguez » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:16 pm

Indeed, there has been a seemingly heightened occurrence of powerful lights in the sky related to seismic events, such as those seen during the 8.0 earthquake that struck Perú on August 15, 2007. Although the quake’s epicenter was in Peru's southern desert, at the boundary where the Nazca and South American tectonic plates meet, the stunning lights were seen flashing over the horizon some 200 Km to the north in Lima, the nation’s capital.

According to the USGS the earthquake occurred as a result of thrust-faulting, with the South American plate moving up and seaward over the Nazca plate. Videos of the lights recorded by witnesses in Lima may be seen at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxfkvrbt9kc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzjs_vo092s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLNxn01F8mM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHmHsP1gd8I

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:13 am

Looks to me that the one picture was taken out of the driver's side with the window rolled up and the sun's reflection of the rear-view mirror is in the photo. Or some sort of refractive glare. The anomaly only lasted long enough to snap one photo?

The supposed "fleet of ufo's" vid is interesting. The furthest I'd be willing to speculate on that is that perhaps some unique atmospheric conditions spawned a series of "Extreme Ball Lightning".

No one in the ufo community has thus far provided an explanation as to why an "advanced alien society" of any sort would need 'headlights' on their vehicles or just haphazardly discovered some sort of propulsion through jet-like nozzles that never make any noise.

With the ubiquity of hand held video recorders and movies on cell phones it always seems that only one person is ever prepared to film these types of events. Even when they occur over major heavily populated cites. That results in no contrasting footage from different angles etc.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:49 pm

Satellite photos reveal that volcano plumes swirl anticlockwise, which could explain phenomena like "sheath" lightning and tornadoes seen during eruptions
28 March 2009
Magazine issue 2701.

It may also explain the "sheaths" of lightning spotted in the 2008 eruption of mount Chaitén in Chile, because the cyclonic motion throws charged particles to the plume margins
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... storm.html

~

John Silver

Unread post by John Silver » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:45 am

Actually, the photo is exposed from inside the car and it is the flash reflected in the window.
Typical for many "UFO" photos.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:25 am

John Silver wrote:Actually, the photo is exposed from inside the car and it is the flash reflected in the window.
Typical for many "UFO" photos.
Excellent call. I think you nailed it.
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad