Electric Moon

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Re: Electric Moon

Unread postby comingfrom » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:31 pm

Thanks Gary. There are a lot of interesting images at that link.

And now you bumped this thread up, reminded me of a paper I just recently read on the Moon's ionosphere.
Miles Mathis again, but if it weren't for him, I wouldn't even have known that the moon has an ionosphere.
He links to NASA's report; Mystery of the Lunar Ionosphere.

~Paul
comingfrom

Unread postby GaryN » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:22 am

A facelift for the Moon every 81,000 years

The Moon is bombarded by so much space rock that its surface gets a complete facelift every 81,000 years, according to a study released Wednesday based on NASA data.
By comparing images of the same area at regular intervals, a team of scientists led by Emerson Speyerer from Arizona State University in Tempe were able to tally the number of new craters and extrapolate to the entire surface of the Moon.

"We detected 222 new impact craters and found 33 percent more craters with a diameter of at least 10 metres than predicted" by earlier models, the researchers concluded.

The scientists also found thousands of subtler disturbances on the surface, which they described as "scars" from smaller, secondary impacts that –- over thousands of years –- churned up the top layer of the Moon without creating craters.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-10-facelift-m ... s.html#jCp

Without functioning seismometers on the Lunar surface, it is not possible to say these new craters are from impacts. The seismometers from the Apollo missions were turned off in 1977, and it was reported that the Moon was seismically silent, even with the gain of the instruments at high levels. Only by crashing parts of spacecraft into the Moon were seismic events recorded, and the "ringing like a bell" effects observed. I'd say the new or perhaps just expanded craters were electrical in nature, removing material from the surface by a 'suction', not impact, which is why the moon was so seismically silent.
In 1995, Adrian Berry, science writer for the Daily Telegraph and columnist for Astronomy Now, who wrote "Experiments left behind by the Apollo astronauts showed that seismically the Moon is absolutely quiet. There are no 'moonquakes' to disturb the ground", but I don't know where he got his info.
I wonder if they could turn the seismometers back on after all these years? The planned Chang-e 4 mission to the Moon may carry a seismometer, but I don't think that is official.
Everything you've learned in school as 'obvious' becomes less and less obvious as you begin to study the universe. For example, there are no solids in the universe. There's not even a suggestion of a solid. There are no absolute continuums. There are no surfaces. There are no straight lines. - Bucky
GaryN

Unread postby flyingcloud » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:05 am

Dust 'floats' above lunar surface—electrostatic dust transport reshapes surfaces of airless planetary bodies

http://phys.org/news/2016-12-lunar-surf ... rless.html

One of the key science findings is that the emission and re-absorption of photo/secondary electrons at the walls of micro-cavities formed between neighboring dust particles can generate unexpectedly large electrical charges and intense particle-particle repulsive forces. This can cause dust particles to move and lift off the surface, or "levitate." And not just single-sized dust particles—large aggregates can be lofted as well.

We expect dust particles to mobilize and transport electrostatically over the entire lunar surface, as well as the surface of any other airless planetary body," Wang said. "If so, electrostatic dust activity may be also responsible for the degradation of retroreflectors on the lunar surface."

The laboratory observations also showed dusty surfaces becoming smooth as a consequence of dust mobilization. These electrostatic dust processes could help to explain the formation of the "dust ponds" on asteroid Eros and comet 67P, and the unexpectedly smooth surface on Saturn's icy satellite Atlas.
flyingcloud

Unread postby Robertus Maximus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:22 am

Electric Discharge Machining at the Moon's Poles?

See: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/solar-storms-charge-lunar-soil
Robertus Maximus

Unread postby flyingcloud » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:38 am

may possibly produce "sparks" that could vaporize and melt the soil, perhaps as much as meteoroid impacts

good step in the right direction
flyingcloud

Previous

Return to Electric Universe - Planetary Science