The Lightning-Scarred Planet Mars

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

substance

Re: The Lightning-Scarred Planet Mars

Unread post by substance » Fri May 06, 2011 8:40 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I didn't want to start a new thread just to post this so here it goes:

EurekAlert: Mars Express sees deep fractures on Mars
EurekAlert wrote:Image
Nili Fossae is a graben system on Mars. It is found at 22°N / 77°E, northeast of the Syrtis Major volcanic province, on the northwestern edge of the giant Isidis impact basin. This image shows an area covering approximately 10,300 sq km. It was taken during orbit 5270, on Feb. 8, 2008, using the High-Resolution Stereo Camera on Mars Express.

Newly released images from ESA's Mars Express show Nili Fossae, a system of deep fractures around the giant Isidis impact basin. Some of these incisions into the martian crust are up to 500 m deep and probably formed at the same time as the basin.

Nili Fossae is a 'graben' system on Mars, northeast of the Syrtis Major volcanic province, on the northwestern edge of the giant Isidis impact basin. Graben refers to the lowered terrain between two parallel faults or fractures in the rocks that collapses when tectonic forces pull the area apart. The Nili Fossae system contains numerous graben concentrically oriented around the edges of the basin.

It is thought that flooding of the basin with basaltic lava after the impact that created it resulted in subsidence of the basin floor, adding stress to the planet's crust, which was released by the formation of the fractures.

A strongly eroded impact crater is visible to the bottom right of the image. It measures about 12 km across and exhibits an ejecta blanket, usually formed by material thrown out during the impact. Two landslides have taken place to the west of the crater. Whether they were a direct result of the impact or occurred later is unknown.

A smaller crater, measuring only 3.5 km across, can be seen to the left of centre in the image and this one does not exhibit any ejecta blanket material. It has either been eroded or may have been buried.

The surface material to the top left of the image is much darker than the rest of the area. It is most likely formed of basaltic rock or volcanic ash originating from the Syrtis Major region. Such lava blankets form when large amounts of low-viscosity basaltic magma flow across long distances before cooling and solidifying. On Earth, the same phenomenon can be seen in the Deccan Traps in India.

Nili Fossae interests planetary scientists because observations taken with telescopes on the Earth and published in 2009 have shown that there is a significant enhancement in Mars' atmospheric methane over this area, suggesting that methane may be being produced there. Its origin remains mysterious, however, and could be geological or perhaps even biological.

As a result, understanding the origin of methane on Mars is high on the priority list and in 2016, ESA and NASA plan to launch the ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter to investigate further. Nili Fossae will be observed with great interest.
My personal blog about science, technology, society and politics. - Putredo Mundi

Mikael_Joe

Unread post by Mikael_Joe » Tue May 17, 2011 11:52 am

I watched the DVD this morning and it was a very very good presentation of the various features. Not only with explanations but with actual laboratory experiments showing the similarities as well. The whole DVD just made so much sense.
The first part of Symbols of an Alien Sky should have had these as well. Especially when you talk about venus with its feathered tail. When you haven't seen what discharges can look like you can't image that lightning looks like feathers but in Lightning-Scarred planet Mars you show an image of a discharge showing feathery structure.

There are many such comparisons that are in part 2 that would really improve part 1 as well. So when showing these DVDs to your friends and family i recommend starting with part 2 and then part 1.

n8allan

New Mars pictures "from NASA"

Unread post by n8allan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:23 am

A EU proponent could hardly make up better pictures than this:
http://beforeitsnews.com/story/1587/220 ... _NASA.html

Look at the patterns on images 25 and 26.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Re: New Mars pictures "from NASA"

Unread post by davesmith_au » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:39 pm

I don't think any of those images are "new", take a look through the TPODs here for starters. And I might add that the commentary on that site in the opening post leaves a lot to be desired...

Cheers, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:38 pm

New Video: 20 km high tornado on Mars

Some Mars scientists suspect dust devils generate enough static electricity to produce bleach-like chemicals that consume any organic matter—and any living thing—in martian soil
??

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2 ... tml?ref=em

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:11 pm

The Videos Seem Compelling
* I just reviewed The Lightning-Scarred Planet Mars: (14 minutes) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_T6__JDeyw and (22 minutes) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-qrnsh83f4.
* They seem compelling in suggesting that the surface of Mars was eroded by electric discharges. Does anyone disagree, after watching the videos?
* There's an image like this one on the video, where the green, blue and purple areas are where electric discharges removed matter from the surface of Mars a few miles deep over much of the northern hemisphere primarily.
http://geology.com/articles/mars/map-of-mars.jpg
* It shows that in the green areas the discharges were in the process of removing more material, when the whole process came to an end. This means that the large mountain, Olympus Mons, where the H flag is placed, meaning the highest point on Mars, was starting to be electrically eroded around its base, when the discharging ended. To the lower right of Olympus Mons are three more large mountains and to the right of those is the huge canyon, Valles Marineris. The video shows that the northern hemisphere of Mars was negative and the southern hemisphere positive and the canyon is on the dividing line. As it was being carved out, material to the right and in a circle above was being removed from the negative area, while material to the left and in a circle below was being added, making that circular area higher.
Hellas Basin
* Looking at the map of Mars, I noticed that there's a large hole in the area where this image has an L flag, meaning the lowest point on Mars. I found that it's called Hellas Basin or Hellas Planitia. Here's a closeup image of it.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... n_topo.jpg
* It looks like craters in the blue area were in the process of being eroded away electrically. On the right side are a couple of rilles that go from the basin up toward higher land. It seems that these may be where the main erosion may have been taking place. If the erosion had continued, I can imagine that similar rilles would have formed progressively all the way around the basin, until a much larger basin had formed.

StevenJay

Curiosity's First 360

Unread post by StevenJay » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:14 pm

Pretty neat panorama!
Original Photo : NASA JPL- Caltech
Interactive panorama conversion: Hans Nyberg - Panoramas.dk Note that more sky has been added artificially by me in this interactive version.

This 360-degree panorama was released Aug 27 2012.

It includes the highest part of Mount Sharp which is approximately 12 miles (20 kilometers) from the rover.

The colors on this panorama are enchanced to give the same colors as it would have under lights on earth.
It's all about perception.

viscount aero

Re: Curiosity's First 360

Unread post by viscount aero » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:27 pm

very nice! thank you!

madkevo

Mysterious geological features on Mars

Unread post by madkevo » Tue May 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Seems impact cratering and volcanism have already been ruled out as possible origins. Can't help have the feeling they are missing something... ;)
http://news.discovery.com/space/mystery ... 130507.htm

ddaveo

Re: Mysterious geological features on Mars

Unread post by ddaveo » Thu May 16, 2013 6:20 am

Those "pits" look like my earliest attempts at MIG welding ...

gamblix

Zeus' Nestling

Unread post by gamblix » Fri May 17, 2013 11:41 am

Hi,

at first a tip:

the other day I finished scanning all of those vast and pretty HiRISE anaglyphs from Mars. Everyone should look at those images. It's absolutely amazing. A lot of features which look stunningly like electro erosion to me. The whole of Mars looks as if somebody has worked on it with chisels, drills, cutters, core drills, saws and plasma welders a.s.o. Go and get you a red/cyan google and dive into the martian surface.

Goto: http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/anaglyph/

To reduce download time, installation of the HIVIEW software is recommended. Find it under the rightmost tab in the menu of the site.

Now Zeus' Nestling.
Have a look at this article: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... fluff.html

The clueless astronomers invented a new cosmic substance: Fluff ;)

That makes me wonder. How comes that moon has not beed scarred by discharge filaments. Is there any electro magnetic state imaginable that would protect a moon from beeing scarred amidst that cosmic cataclysm which hit - as far as we know - every other object in our system? Why did Zeus spare Methone from his wrath, so to speak.

I don't believe in cosmic fluff, do you?

gamblix

Re: Zeus' Nestling

Unread post by gamblix » Sat May 18, 2013 1:48 am

"Go and get you a red/cyan google and dive into the martian surface."

Sorry, I meant goggle, not google :oops:

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Sat May 18, 2013 3:17 am

Metryq

Unread post by Metryq » Sat May 18, 2013 3:46 am

Perhaps Methone and its siblings are relatively new? Perhaps they are "eggs," spat out of Saturn in a Velikovskian manner?

One place for anaglyph and other 3D glasses is Rainbow Symphony: http://www.rainbowsymphonystore.com

Metryq

Unread post by Metryq » Sat May 18, 2013 3:50 am

Perhaps Methone and its siblings are relatively new? Perhaps they are "eggs," spat out of Saturn in a Velikovskian manner?

One place for anaglyph and other 3D glasses is Rainbow Symphony.