Earths Magnetic Field

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

CharlesChandler

Re: geomagnetism cause?

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Thu May 08, 2014 2:36 pm

A field is the domain of a force.

A force is a set of related effects.

Effects are observations that need to be explained, which we do with forces.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll spend the rest of the day sitting in a small boat, drinking beer and telling dirty jokes.

Volcanoes
Astrophysics wants its physics back.
The Electromagnetic Nature of Tornadic Supercell Thunderstorms

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Thu May 08, 2014 6:57 pm

CharlesChandler wrote:@VA: I think that we're not as different as our arguments make it seem, but I still like Bucky's prescription for how to make change come about. Anybody can find fault with the existing model. But until something better comes along, everybody will stick with what they have, of necessity. So it all comes down to whether or not the new model is more useful. And yes, perspective is a good thing! :)
Yes I'm all for innovative thinking and implementation. Fuller's statement is correct only partially as it's too glib. It will take more than a better model to change the old one. That's all I'm saying. For example the hybrid petrol/electric engine has existed in various forms for decades and decades--most notably in locomotives. But it is just now gaining mainstream acceptance in passenger cars. Why the big wait? Same for the fully-electric car. Electric cars were among the first cars ever invented about 100 years ago. So why did the petrol car come to dominate? It is only now that fully electric cars are gaining mainstream acceptance. Why the wait? I already know why but I'm asking you as a means of illustrating my point.

This can be applied, too, to the manned space program of NASA. For example, why did they waste an entire generation on a highly limited LEO space truck called the Space Shuttle when they could have built upon the Apollo program into manned flight to the planets? Surely in 40 years that would already be happening. But no. They chose to wait indefinitely to do that. Why'd they do that? I already know why.

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Thu May 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Sparky wrote: aero:
I don't get the importance of that vid.... :?
It demonstrates how things can become magnetized.

CharlesChandler

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Thu May 08, 2014 8:19 pm

viscount aero wrote:It will take more than a better model to change the old one. That's all I'm saying.
OK, I'll go along with that.

I suck at marketing, so I'll just stay focused on the modeling. (Somebody still has to make sure that the product actually works, no matter how good the marketing department is, or you get a bunch of returns, and that sucks too. :D)

Do you know somebody who can sell it? ;)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll spend the rest of the day sitting in a small boat, drinking beer and telling dirty jokes.

Volcanoes

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Fri May 09, 2014 4:08 am

CC said: It's even at least theoretically possible that tornadoes could be prevented, by discharging the potentials with triggered lightning.
I came across the following info yesterday and it looks like it might have a use already, right here.
Lightning Frequency Predicts Hurricane Intensity
http://thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpBB3/v ... 10&t=15037
A few details are posted there, but the main info is that when there's more lightning with a hurricane, the winds will be stronger about 24 hours later. The same might hold for tornadoes, if you don't have an ace up your sleeve.

CharlesChandler

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Fri May 09, 2014 6:08 am

Lloyd wrote:A few details are posted there, but the main info is that when there's more lightning with a hurricane, the winds will be stronger about 24 hours later. The same might hold for tornadoes, if you don't have an ace up your sleeve.
Recent research has focused on detecting a sharp reduction in lightning while the tornado is active. One hypothesis is that the dark discharge through the tornado prevents the build-up of potentials necessary for lightning. Another hypothesis is that the storm is too well organized during the tornadic phase, and the turbulence that initiates lightning is not present. This is more consistent with the fact that just after the tornadic phase, the lightning strike rate jumps way up to peak levels, suggesting that the potentials were building throughout the tornadic phase (i.e., not getting fully discharged by the tornado), but the lightning lacked a triggering mechanism until the storm started to fall apart.

Neither observation is useful for predicting tornadoes, but the drop in strike rate during the tornadic phase is being studied for its possible capability of confirming that a tornado is on the ground.

As concerns predictions go, the lightning signature of a storm that is getting ready to spawn a tornado hasn't been deciphered yet. Tornadoes sometimes form with little to no previous lightning activity.

Somewhat more telling is the storm structure itself, with its distinctive electric fields. My research places a lot of emphasis on the upper half of the storm, where the mesocyclone first gets organized, and which is visible on Doppler radar from over 100 miles away. Electric fields and the polarities thereof are detectable with Doppler radar, and could prove to be better predictors than lightning signatures.

Volcanoes

JeffreyW

Unread post by JeffreyW » Fri May 09, 2014 9:21 am

CharlesChandler wrote: For example, why can't all elements spontaneously get magnetized?
All elements DO get magnetized in the presence of an externally applied magnetic field. Some paramagnetic (attract in the presence of a magnetic field) some diamagnetic (repel in the presence of a magnetic field).

All matter is therefore magnetic to a certain degree. It would actually be better to define matter itself in terms of magnetic interaction to be honest. Defining matter in terms of mass has turned out to be dead end, just check out the higgs boson fiasco for a great example of that.
http://vixra.org/pdf/1711.0206v4.pdf The Main Book on Stellar Metamorphosis, Version 4

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Fri May 09, 2014 10:13 am

jw:
All elements DO get magnetized in the presence of an externally applied magnetic field.
Any references or documentation? :?
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Fri May 09, 2014 3:57 pm

CharlesChandler wrote:
viscount aero wrote:It will take more than a better model to change the old one. That's all I'm saying.
OK, I'll go along with that.

I suck at marketing, so I'll just stay focused on the modeling. (Somebody still has to make sure that the product actually works, no matter how good the marketing department is, or you get a bunch of returns, and that sucks too. :D)

Do you know somebody who can sell it? ;)
Sure I can sell it ;) I'm a marketer.

CharlesChandler

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Fri May 09, 2014 7:58 pm

viscount aero wrote:
CharlesChandler wrote:I suck at marketing, so I'll just stay focused on the modeling. (Somebody still has to make sure that the product actually works, no matter how good the marketing department is, or you get a bunch of returns, and that sucks too. :D) Do you know somebody who can sell it? ;)
OK, then let's start thinking along those lines. Lloyd has been pushing me to start doing videos, to make my work more accessible. So I've been working on the script for the first one. But what are your thoughts? Lloyd & I did a lot of work trying to flesh out the idea of how to organize and orchestrate a citizen science initiative. I'm still in the process of consolidating all of the material that we created on my site on that topic. But rather than getting bogged down with you trying to sift through all of that stuff, I'd rather hear your take on all of this. First, what are the objectives? Which ideas are we going to try to sell? How will we go about it? I tend to think that a multi-prong approach is the best, including a presence on YouTube, Facebook, etc., with videos, press releases, online discussions, etc. It goes without saying that it will take more work than one or a couple people could possibly do. So it cannot possibly be conceived as a unilateral initiative -- it has to be a community effort from the start. IMO, the idea that needs to be marketed is that crowdwork has arrived. The Internet isn't just for chatting -- it's for people to work together to build a better world. So I have done a lot of work on my website to support collaborative efforts. In addition to forums, my site supports editable documents, so there can be a thesis that people are working on, and then there can also be discussions on how to go about it. I consider the organization of that community effort to be more important than selling any one particular idea. Once the community sees that they can get together and build something, the benefits will probably blow away all of the petty little ideas we're currently knocking around. ;) And without the active participation of a crowd of people, we aren't going anywhere anyway. So the community is the key to the whole thing. But that's just my opinion -- what's yours?

Volcanoes

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Fri May 09, 2014 9:25 pm

CharlesChandler wrote:
viscount aero wrote:
CharlesChandler wrote:I suck at marketing, so I'll just stay focused on the modeling. (Somebody still has to make sure that the product actually works, no matter how good the marketing department is, or you get a bunch of returns, and that sucks too. :D) Do you know somebody who can sell it? ;)
OK, then let's start thinking along those lines. Lloyd has been pushing me to start doing videos, to make my work more accessible. So I've been working on the script for the first one. But what are your thoughts? Lloyd & I did a lot of work trying to flesh out the idea of how to organize and orchestrate a citizen science initiative. I'm still in the process of consolidating all of the material that we created on my site on that topic. But rather than getting bogged down with you trying to sift through all of that stuff, I'd rather hear your take on all of this. First, what are the objectives? Which ideas are we going to try to sell? How will we go about it? I tend to think that a multi-prong approach is the best, including a presence on YouTube, Facebook, etc., with videos, press releases, online discussions, etc. It goes without saying that it will take more work than one or a couple people could possibly do. So it cannot possibly be conceived as a unilateral initiative -- it has to be a community effort from the start. IMO, the idea that needs to be marketed is that crowdwork has arrived. The Internet isn't just for chatting -- it's for people to work together to build a better world. So I have done a lot of work on my website to support collaborative efforts. In addition to forums, my site supports editable documents, so there can be a thesis that people are working on, and then there can also be discussions on how to go about it. I consider the organization of that community effort to be more important than selling any one particular idea. Once the community sees that they can get together and build something, the benefits will probably blow away all of the petty little ideas we're currently knocking around. ;) And without the active participation of a crowd of people, we aren't going anywhere anyway. So the community is the key to the whole thing. But that's just my opinion -- what's yours?
Yes all of that is correct. Now go implement it ;) Learn about leveraging social media. That alone is a side career. YouTube is your friend.

Your blog is the "parent body" around which all other leverage devices orbit (satellites). Facebook, Twitter, YouTUbe, Google+, LInkedIn, Pintrest, etc... all link back to your blog. YOur blog is where you will brand yourself. You have a standing site already which I saw a while ago. That is in essence your blog. What you need to do is celebritize yourself like Miko Kaku, Carl Sagan, etc... You need to be culturally relevant with attention on you.

You need to generate content daily, too. You are long-winded and love to write. Great. Do it on your blog. In a way you're wasting your time on a forum like this as it is not your branding (unless you have a link at the bottom of every post here to your blog with content--which you sort of have but it goes to a sparse, cold, text-only, front page "table of contents" where there is no robust branding of your identity or indication of what the viewer is looking at). You could repurpose virtually all of the content you've ever written on here into blog articles. You then must join "groups" on Facebook of like-minded people. Have them friend you and follow you once you get to know them. You can join hundreds of groups. Blast your daily content across all of these groups. You can use the Facebook graph search to find these groups.

These are just the fundamentals; there is much more.

CharlesChandler

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Fri May 09, 2014 10:01 pm

viscount aero wrote:Learn about leveraging social media. That alone is a side career.
No, I already have one too many careers. If you know of anybody who would be willing to help with the PR side of this, please let me know. ;)

Volcanoes

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Sat May 10, 2014 6:05 am

Marketing!!!...Yes, FIRE! Fire sells! AND SEX!! That sells! Oh, EXplosions!
Image Now that we have their attention; puppies and kittens!!! O, Oh, Oh, Wrecks: cars, motorcycles, trains, planes, etc...!!! And a talking baby!!! And singing and dancing!!! Subliminal messages!!!! Jackpots of millions!!!!
FREE, everything FREE!!!

Hmmmm, the only problem that I see is getting all of that in a 30 sec. spot! :?
But you'll work it out! ;)

:D
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Sat May 10, 2014 9:55 am

CharlesChandler wrote:
viscount aero wrote:Learn about leveraging social media. That alone is a side career.
No, I already have one too many careers. If you know of anybody who would be willing to help with the PR side of this, please let me know. ;)
The first person in line who must help with the PR would be you, mate. You must brand yourself like Oprah WInfrey, Carl Sagan, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, etc...

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Sat May 10, 2014 1:26 pm

The first person in line who must help with the PR would be you, mate. You must brand yourself like Oprah WInfrey, Carl Sagan, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, etc...
:?

What?! Charging Charles' Charges! :lol: