Earths Magnetic Field

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

ElecGeekMom

Re: What's Happening to the Magnetosphere?

Unread post by ElecGeekMom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:02 pm

ElecGeekMom wrote:I have been wondering if something in the way of a toxic gas has been percolating up through the waterways, poisoning vulnerable species and fish.

If we assume that the Mississippi River exists because a crack occurred in the crust there (EDM or GET, anyone?), and then filled with water thereafter--wouldn't that mean that there could be weaknesses below the surface of the crust?
OK, since I posted the above, I've seen several things that made me think the toxic gas idea isn't so far-fetched.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/01/11/c ... more-31432

http://www.eutimes.net/2011/01/top-us-o ... ass-death/

I don't know how valid the 2nd article is - it might be good for a laugh. It makes you think, though. After all, wasn't it on a Russian server that the Climategate material was released?

One thing I checked when I read the second article was, what was the terrain like at the location of the fish kill? The area cited is a stretch of river right next to a railroad, and the beginning of the stretch of river is at the location of what appears to be (from the satellite view) some kind of depot or industrial chemical storage or exchange facility, right where the river and railroad are at their closest. In fact, the railroad tracks crosses part of the waterway. If they really are shipping Phosgene around, disposing of it in the ground at various places, an accidental "spill" could have caused a lot of fish to be killed.

I strongly suspect that railroads (not airplanes, as mentioned in the article) are used to move hazardous chemicals to places where they can be put into injection wells and similar facilities.

Goldminer

Unread post by Goldminer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:15 am

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/cienc ... nges25.htm

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/cienc ... nges24.htm

These noctilucent clouds have the filamentary appearance of electrical plasma. The hydrogen cyanide component could be created by an electro-chemical reaction up there.

I sense a disturbance in the farce.

solrey

Unread post by solrey » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:21 am

Some friendly advice folks...check your sources and maybe cross-check critical background information. :)

Noctilucent clouds are made of tiny little ice crystals. The main question is how do the ice crystals form in the mesosphere. If the results of the CLOUD experiments confirm that cosmic rays produce nucleation sites to seed clouds, then the recent spread of NLC's into lower latitudes coincidental with more cosmic rays entering the inner solar system recently due to a weaker interplanetary magnetic field, would seem to confirm a connection between cosmic rays and NLC's. Since water is a dipolar molecule and it likes to bond in chains those tiny ice crystals probably form little electrostatic dipoles which would produce filamentary/wispy clouds.

Hydrogen Cyanide (HCN) does exist in the stratosphere and mesosphere but in concentrations of less than 0.6 ppb (parts per billion). An immediately lethal dose of inhaled HCN is 270 ppm (parts per million) which is much much higher than atmospheric concentrations. Don't eat too many almonds, they contain a respectable amount of naturally occuring HCN. ;)
“Cyanide is usually found joined with other chemicals to form compounds. Examples of simple cyanide compounds are hydrogen cyanide, sodium cyanide and potassium cyanide. Certain bacteria, fungi, and algae can produce cyanide, and cyanide is found in a number of foods and plants. In certain plant foods, including almonds, millet sprouts, lima beans, soy, spinach, bamboo shoots, and cassava roots (which are a major source of food in tropical countries), cyanides occur naturally as part of sugars or other naturally-occurring compounds. However, the edible parts of plants that are eaten in the United States, including tapioca which is made from cassava roots, contain relatively low amounts of cyanide.” link
While some HCN might become ionized by cosmic rays to supply a certain percentage of nucleation sites for ice crystals, they're suspended at an altitude of 50-85km in extremely low concentrations. I believe critters the size of birds can handle an immediate dose of at least 50-100 ppm HCN, based on experimental studies, again much much higher than concentrations at the edges of the atmosphere.

Copied from a comment I made on another thread:

Ask any wildlife biologist, I know a few, and they will tell you these deaths are not unusual. Officially on average in the US alone, there is a mass die off of some sort reported to authorities every other day, but the stories rarely get told outside of local news unlike the recent national news hype. Include the whole planet and throughout most of the entire history of life on this fabulous rock, every day there is at least one mass die off somewhere. The rate of die offs also increases during harsh winter conditions. With few exceptions these die-offs, including those recently reported, typically affect a specific species or two in each instance.

Something like dozens of species dying at once across hundreds of contiguous square miles would be unusual, but that's not the case in these recent die offs which are isolated species specific events among animals that live together in large flocks or schools. Big clue right there. ;)
The only thing unusual is the sudden national media/interweb attention.

with respect...cheers
“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
Nikola Tesla

nick c
Site Admin

Re: Earths Magnetic Field

Unread post by nick c » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 pm

This thread has been merged with the following threads:

Earth's Magnetic Pole Moving 64 KM Per Year Towards Russia

What's Happening to the Magnetosphere?

Earths Magnetic Field

earths magnetotail

recent earth magnetic anomalies

Hurricanes and low magentic fields

Recovered: Global Magnetic Anomaly Map Created

Magnetic Field Question

Massive Magnetic Shift downs Airliners

Pole reversals

geomagnetic field reversals

INSIDE PLANET EARTH features flipping of magnetic poles

remelic

Levitating magnets and planetary magnetospheres

Unread post by remelic » Fri May 20, 2011 12:05 am

This article was interesting. Might help when trying to visualize.

Source: http://www.physorg.com/news183544566.html
The results, published this week in the journal Nature Physics, confirm the counter-intuitive prediction that inside the device's magnetic chamber, random turbulence causes the plasma to become more densely concentrated — a crucial step to getting atoms to fuse together — instead of becoming more spread out, as usually happens with turbulence. This "turbulent pinching" of the plasma has been observed in the way plasmas in space interact with the Earth's and Jupiter's magnetic fields, but has never before been recreated in the laboratory.
...the half-ton magnet, which carries a current of one million amperes...
With the magnet levitated, the central peak of plasma density developed within a few hundredths of a second, and closely resembled those observed in planetary magnetospheres (such as the magnetic fields surrounding Earth and Jupiter).
...in the LDX the magnet is inside the plasma. The whole concept, he says, was inspired by observations of planetary magnetospheres made by interplanetary spacecraft. In turn, he says, for planetary research the experiments in LDX can yield "a lot more subtle detail than you can get by launching satellites, and more cheaply."
Too bad they don't mention electric currents fueling those planetary magnetospheres...

Cheers.

Oh and everyone should buy a copy of my book since the world is supposed to end tomorrow. :shock: You wont need your money anyway.
Secrets of Edward Leedskalnin
“Like a flash of lightning and in an instant the truth was revealed.” - Nikola Tesla
Electricity = Magnetism x Speed of Light Squared... Thats what he really meant.

Jarvamundo

Re: Levitating magnets and planetary magnetospheres

Unread post by Jarvamundo » Fri May 20, 2011 12:35 am

OP-article wrote:This "turbulent pinching" of the plasma has been observed in the way plasmas in space interact with the Earth's and Jupiter's magnetic fields, but has never before been recreated in the laboratory.
:? Image
:? Image
but ... hey maybe this is off... 'anyone have their images?
OP-article wrote:When operating, the huge LDX magnet is supported by the magnetic field from an electromagnet overhead, which is controlled continuously by a computer based on precision monitoring of its position using eight laser beams and detectors. The position of the half-ton magnet, which carries a current of one million amperes (compared to a typical home's total capacity of 200 amperes) can be maintained this way to within half a millimeter. A cone-shaped support with springs is positioned under the magnet to catch it safely if anything goes wrong with the control system.

Levitation is crucial because the magnetic field used to confine the plasma would be disturbed by any objects in its way, such as any supports used to hold the magnet in place. In the experimental runs, they recreated the same conditions with and without the support system in place, and confirmed that the confinement of the plasma was dramatically increased in the levitated mode, with the supports removed. With the magnet levitated, the central peak of plasma density developed within a few hundredths of a second, and closely resembled those observed in planetary magnetospheres (such as the magnetic fields surrounding Earth and Jupiter).

Summarizing the difference between the two approaches, Kesner explains that in a tokamak, the hot plasma is confined inside a huge magnet, but in the LDX the magnet is inside the plasma. The whole concept, he says, was inspired by observations of planetary magnetospheres made by interplanetary spacecraft. In turn, he says, for planetary research the experiments in LDX can yield "a lot more subtle detail than you can get by launching satellites, and more cheaply."
Hmm... kinda that moment when ya gotta sit back n think... should we just let nature lead us...?

really? levitated 1/2 tonne magnets?

Kinda the long way home for a pinch, 'aint it'? Must of been one kick-a$$ power-point presentation.
Last edited by Jarvamundo on Fri May 20, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jarvamundo

Unread post by Jarvamundo » Fri May 20, 2011 12:47 am

Shazam... yep this is one kick-A$$ looking piece of equipment...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BVt2gKHNBA

http://www.psfc.mit.edu/ldx/reports/ICC ... DX_RT1.pdf

A bit of charge separation, seems alot easier tho.

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Sun May 22, 2011 1:18 pm

I don't get these guys... they build a toroidal levitating magnet, with a 'levitating coil' and 'shaping coils' and etc... to study the magnetodynamics of spherical planet... o.O

Birkeland created a toroidal plasma field around his terella with 100 year old tech! Am I missing something here?? :?
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

remelic

Unread post by remelic » Sun May 22, 2011 3:52 pm

mharratsc wrote:Birkeland created a toroidal plasma field around his terella with 100 year old tech! Am I missing something here?? :?
I hear ya.
Secrets of Edward Leedskalnin
“Like a flash of lightning and in an instant the truth was revealed.” - Nikola Tesla
Electricity = Magnetism x Speed of Light Squared... Thats what he really meant.

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Sun May 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Seeing as you were all talking about plasma and the torus, thought I'd pop this in here.
The video (love those 70s sideburns!) explains his early model, but I though interesting.
Microwave Controlled Fusion
http://microwavecontrolledfusion.us/index.html
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

fosborn_

Unread post by fosborn_ » Mon May 23, 2011 3:46 am

When they mentioned differnent methods of fusion, they missed the candidate most likely ! :?
Two words, one name; Focus Fusion, Eric Lerner :)
http://focusfusion.org/

Just think what he would get done with one year of their funding.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science,
the one that heralds new discoveries,
is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'
Isaac Asimov

epigeios

Unread post by epigeios » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:01 am

solrey wrote:Some friendly advice folks...check your sources and maybe cross-check critical background information. :)

Noctilucent clouds are made of tiny little ice crystals. The main question is how do the ice crystals form in the mesosphere.
Not necessarily true:
News article on "Swedish samples of the highest clouds"
More detail. Reference to ice is in the bottom left-most paragraph of page 3. That paragraph directs the reader to references B, E, and D.

Composition analysis of the collected particles is reference C

In summary:
Noctilucent clouds seem to be composed of iron particles (some with nickel content).
an impact halo can be found around "almost all of the particles larger than 0.2 micron", but not around "most of the particles smaller than 0.1 micron".
the density of impact halos is similar to the density of "holes" in the calcium film. The calcium film is shown to only form these holes as a result of water contact.
It is assumed that the impact halo is a result of an ice crystal surrounding the iron particle, which then melts, then evaporates.

charged particles were not tested.
It is unknown if the possible ice particles are the cause of the cloud's reflectivity, or if it is the iron itself.
I personally believe it to be an iron-laden plasma cloud, with the reflectivity being caused by the plasma state, as opposed to any solid structures.

I have NO IDEA why NASA decided to ignore the iron particles entirely, nor why they decided to assume that the possible ice crystals MUST be the cause of the reflectivity; but that article is a demonstration of ignorance and selectivity, not evidence.

Now, referring to the mass deaths.
Most commonly, the fishes that die are either bottom-feeders or bottom-dwelling fishes.
The other common death is high-flying birds.
Both common mass deaths seem to be most often caused by oxygen depletion.
This is a vastly unexplored option in the case of bird deaths, despite the evidence that this is likely (blue stains on beaks are common). My guess is a pocket of oxygen-depleted air that the birds fly through. I have no idea how that could exist. Possibly a strong downward flow of some form of oxygen-depleted upper atmosphere, opposite of what causes many mass fish deaths (although I can't seem to find evidence of oxygen-depleted air on the internet).
"In a very short time the oxygen saturation can drop to zero when offshore blowing winds drive surface water out and anoxic depthwater rises up." (Wikipedia:Hypoxia (environmental)
I personally can't tell whether this is a direct or indirect result of electrical influence.

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:20 am

Could you provide a reference for high altitude mass bird deaths... all I could find was bird strikes to aircraft.
If so, I can suggest a magnetic field related mechanism.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

epigeios

Unread post by epigeios » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:36 pm

Ah. Good point. I don't think I can.
I tried looking at the general flying altitude of migrating birds, but that seems to vary too greatly.
I don't think I can find any references indicating that the bird deaths happened at high altitudes. Especially taking into account the general assumption that that can't be possible. It seems nobody has seen the birds drop out of the sky, only fall out of the sky. It seems nobody has witnessed the transition state from flying to falling.

I can provide references for the blue beaks, but you can look that up on your own too.

Wait. scratch that.
I found a chart that actually implies the opposite of what I expected/assumed.
http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Birds/Av ... tudes.html

Fitting the birds that died into that chart, most of them are commonly low-altitude birds. Not that it's impossible for them to be flying at high altitudes; but given this chart, one would expect to find more large and predatory birds dead in a similar manner if my hypothesis were true.

Maol

The Sun – Earth - Moon plasma environment

Unread post by Maol » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:55 pm

Here is some light reading from NASA, an interesting proposal to study (among other things) the Sun – Earth - Moon plasma environment, magnetic connections and electrical phenomena.
Heliophysics Science and the Moon

Potential Solar and Space Physics Science for Lunar Exploration

Subpanel for Heliophysics Science and the Moon
Report to the NASA Advisory
Council Heliophysics Subcommittee
September 2007

Introduction

The Moon is immersed in a plasma environment — the local cosmos — that is “magnetized.” It is threaded with magnetic fields that are often “frozen” into the plasma, a state of high electrical conductivity that effectively couples the motions of the plasma and the magnetic field. This inherently strong coupling means that the structure and evolution of magnetic fields (of the Sun, of the Earth, and even of the Moon itself) play an essential role in organizing and regulating the local environment of the Moon — the environment to be expe¬rienced by our explorers. By working to understand, and so predict, the variations that occur from day to day, and from region to region, the productivity and overall success of future lunar robotic and manned missions can be signifi¬cantly enhanced.
etc....

http://science.nasa.gov/media/medialibr ... oonRpt.pdf