Latest from Enceladus

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

MGmirkin

Re: Enceladus is (like) a Comet

Unread post by MGmirkin » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:38 pm

Eres wrote:It's indeed a delight for me to read these mainstream assertions to every new finding.
We now wait for the next star-comet :mrgreen:
Thank you, Eres!

Where's my head? I'd nearly forgotten "stars act like comets" too! Haha... :D Priceless :!:

(A star [Mira] with a comet's tail!)
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/15aug_mira.htm
http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=5899

Perhaps comets are the "5th element!" :o *Laughing* Only kidding!

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

Drethon

Re: Enceladus is (like) a Comet

Unread post by Drethon » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:57 am

Wups, missed this one already being in Planetary Science and posted it in the main EU forum.

Zonei

Cassini Pinpoints Source of Jets on Enceladus

Unread post by Zonei » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:20 am

I posted this last week, 'twas probably lost in the crash, so here it is again, I find it very interesting news:

Cassini Pinpoints Source of Jets on Saturn's Moon Enceladus

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassi ... 80814.html
New carefully targeted pictures reveal exquisite details in the prominent south polar "tiger stripe" fractures from which the jets emanate. The images show the fractures are about 300 meters (980 feet) deep, with V-shaped inner walls. The outer flanks of some of the fractures show extensive deposits of fine material. Finely fractured terrain littered with blocks of ice tens of meters in size and larger (the size of small houses) surround the fractures.

substance

Re: Cassini Pinpoints Source of Jets on Enceladus

Unread post by substance » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:24 am

The fake white coloring is misleading and from the whole article I didn`t understand where exactly on the picture does the "stream of icy particles" come from?!
My personal blog about science, technology, society and politics. - Putredo Mundi

Dragoneye

Unread post by Dragoneye » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:21 pm

A little scrounging yielded photos of the "pinpointed jet" locations which can be seen at this link:
http://ciclops.org/view/5204/Baghdad_an ... _Enceladus

The above link gets you to a pic of 3 photos of Enceladus stitched together. Here's a link to two more, also stitched together:
http://ciclops.org/view.php?id=5205

No jets to be seen in either set.

substance

Unread post by substance » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:11 am

Very beautiful and detailed images, but I see no signs pinpointing the jet locations.
My personal blog about science, technology, society and politics. - Putredo Mundi

redeye

Unread post by redeye » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:21 am

In this image, if you look at the lower circled area there appears to be dendritic ridges carved into the rock. The chaotic nature of the landscape reminds me of Miranda.

The similarity to terrain on Europa is also notable. The excavated levees look exactly like the eu description of "levees" on Europa:
The result is a filamentary pattern of superimposed furrows running this way and that for hundreds and thousands of kilometers across the face of the moon. As the surface lightning blasted its way across the moon, it heaped material to either side to form levees. It ripped across earlier channels as if they were not there.
Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

MattEU

Unread post by MattEU » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Are the "Jets" themselves similar to the Ventura County hot spots and show EU activity?

( Net Talk - EU related? -> Ventura County hot spot puzzles experts )

sol88

Cassini's Deep Plume Run

Unread post by sol88 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:03 am

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/press-r ... newsID=874

During Cassini's Oct. 9 flyby, the spacecraft's fields and particles instruments will venture deeper into the plume than ever before, directly sampling the particles and gases. The emphasis here is on the composition of the plume rather than imaging the surface
"We know that Enceladus produces a few hundred kilograms per second of gas and dust and that this material is mainly water vapor and water ice," said Tamas Gambosi, Cassini scientist at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. "The water vapor and the evaporation from the ice grains contribute most of the mass found in Saturn's magnetosphere.
And we are still looking for water on Mars? :roll:
"One of the overarching scientific puzzles we are trying to understand is what happens to the gas and dust released from Enceladus, including how some of the gas is transformed to ionized plasma and is disseminated throughout the magnetosphere,"
Thats a no brainier, it's friction and shock heating :roll:
Results from Cassini's magnetometer instrument during the August flyby suggest a difference in the intensity of the plume compared to earlier encounters. Information from the next two flybys will help scientists understand these observations.
Could electricity be able to do that? :shock:
"The October doubleheader gives Cassini two more opportunities to hit the ball out of the park," said Bob Pappalardo, Cassini project scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. "With high scores in
geology, surface heat, watery plumes and magnetospheric effects
, Enceladus could win the 'world championship' title this year!"

Predictions?

Any one a betting person? I'll take the odds Enceladus will lose the geology, surface heat, watery plumes "game" and win on the magnetospheric effects (plasma, electric discharge)

Any takers?
“Black holes are where God divided by zero.” – Comedian Steven Wright

larryduane100

Re: Latest from Enceladus

Unread post by larryduane100 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:26 am

This raw image taken on Oct. 9, 2008 shows rilles formed of strings of craters. A commenter on the site(CICLOPS.org) wonders if the "camera was shaking" to cause such a thing.
http://ciclops.org//view_media.php?id=25682
Larryduane100

Steve Smith

Unread post by Steve Smith » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:17 pm

Cassini is old. It was launched 11 years ago almost to the day and has been exposed to the e-field and radiation flux from Saturn since June 2004. It is past its original mission schedule and its plutonium power source is no doubt running down. There will be more and more failures as time goes on until the ultimate system crash occurs. I doubt it had anything to do with the flyby but more to do with the extreme environment.

Steve

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:28 pm

larryduane100 wrote:This raw image taken on Oct. 9, 2008 shows rilles formed of strings of craters. A commenter on the site(CICLOPS.org) wonders if the "camera was shaking" to cause such a thing.
http://ciclops.org//view_media.php?id=25682
Larryduane100
Where in the image is the crater chain? I'm not seeing it... Maybe I'm just blind. I see a bit of pixelation in the middle of the image... But that's about it?

~Michel Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke

MGmirkin

Re: Cassini's Deep Plume Run

Unread post by MGmirkin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:38 pm

Successful sniff, waiting on results...

(Cassini Blog)
http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/blog/enceladus ... index.html
http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/blog/enceladus ... 33234.html

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin

saturnine

Unread post by saturnine » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:15 pm

http://ciclops.org/view_event/92/Encela ... aw_Preview

The fifth image here has a string of craters.

Solar

Enceladus Tectonics?

Unread post by Solar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:57 pm

The first part of the video shows a simple example in which an old relict tiger stripe is believed to have lost its tip after it was sheared off by tectonic forces and pushed away from its parent by spreading.
(...)
The second part of the video demonstrates how this video-reconstruction technique can be used to reconstruct a possible spreading history of the region between two tiger stripes: Alexandria Sulcus and Cairo Sulcus. The process begins by snipping-out and closing the gap that corresponds to Alexandria Sulcus and its upraised flanks. The gap is closed by matching the remaining right and left edges like a jigsaw puzzle. - "Reconstructing the Past on Enceladus"
This is an example of how modern cosmology/astrophysics pathologically convinces itself of the "reality" of it's own inferences. It' also interesting that the ESA's "model" appears to be a large scale version of the failed cometary "dirty snowball" except for the proposed radioactive core:
Enceladus is a very small body, and it's made almost entirely of ice and rock. The puzzle is how the moon developed a warm core," said Dr Julie Castillo, the lead scientist developing the new model at JPL. "The only way to achieve such high temperatures at Enceladus is through the very rapid decay of some radioactive species."

The hot start model suggests Enceladus began as a mixed-up ball of ice and rock that contained rapidly decaying radioactive isotopes of aluminium and iron. The decomposition of those isotopes - over a period of about 7 million years - would produce enormous amounts of heat. This would result in the consolidation of rocky material at the core surrounded by a shell of ice. According to the theory, the remaining, more slowly decaying radioactivity in the core could continue to warm and melt the moon's interior for billions of years, along with tidal forces from Saturn's gravitational tug.
(...)
The team concludes that so far, all the findings and the hot start model indicate that a warm, organic-rich mixture was produced below the surface of Enceladus and might still be present today, making the moon a promising kitchen for the cooking of primordial soup. - The hot start model
Are there any other planetary models in NASA's astronomy/astrophysical grab-bag of scenarios that do not rely on hot core activity in order to account for dynamics that occur on the surface of planets such as the "jets" of Enceladus? This same characteristic model is also used in relation to the supposed thermonuclear activity of the Sun with neutrinos hypothetically originating from it's core. It's gotten far beyond repetitive.

Is that it then? "Plate tectonics", 'hot molten core generated slipping/sliding', cometary bombardment, volcanism, gravitational "tidal forces" tugging/squeezing, and the occasional bumping of asteroids in the mystical Orrt cloud turning them into comets. Did I leave anything out?

It's good thing I'm not on the allocating committee for any of these missions. Why should I give a few bazillion dollars for a multi-year mission that will simply repeat verbatim the exact same "news"? Is it just me; or does it appear that astrophysical excitement has simply boiled down to a matter of location! You can simply tape record the responses for every question regarding planetary dynamics no matter which planet we visit. I'm afraid we will still hear the same regurgitated mantra when New Horizons reaches Pluto.
:shock:
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden