Scarring and Lichtenberg figures

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

MGmirkin

Re: Making of Lichtenberg figures video

Unread post by MGmirkin » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 pm

I assume the video originally came from teslamania.com, as I've seen a quite similar video over there. This one seems to show several of the same type shown there and go into slowed down high-speed footage.

I know that the way they do it is to charge a giant block of acrylic (dielectric insulator) by bombarding it with relativistic particles from I believe it's a linear accelerator. Then once it's been charged, they tap it with a pointy object to create a defect, and that I guess creates just enough of an imbalance that the whole thing immediately starts to discharge. I'd assume that all the additional flashes are ongoing charge redistributions. An arc here, creates another imbalance there, and so on and so on. Until the charges have been somewhat effectively redistributed back to moderately neutral. It's pretty cool to watch!

~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

MattEU

Unread post by MattEU » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:55 am

Would the charge zapping of the block be anything similar to the Earth from the Squatter Man / Tree of Life and the Synchrotron radiation? When the instability finished would this create back EMF, a bit similar to the vitrification process, or was there a discharge in another means similar to the sharp object hitting the charged block? Would a massive lightning bolt be enough or would it have to be something more physcial?

Anthony Peratt has looked into this and is the man to know the answers, does anyone know where in the sky the Squatter Man was meant to have been located?
Synchrotron radiation is electromagnetic radiation, similar to cyclotron radiation, but generated by the acceleration of ultrarelativistic (i.e., moving near the speed of light) charged particles through magnetic fields. This may be achieved artificially in synchrotrons or storage rings, or naturally by fast electrons moving through magnetic fields in space. The radiation produced may range over the entire electromagnetic spectrum, from radio waves to infrared light, visible light, ultraviolet light, X-rays, and gamma rays. It is distinguished by its characteristic polarization and spectrum.

When high-energy relativistic electrons are forced to travel in a curved path by a magnetic field, synchrotron radiation is produced, similar to a radio antenna, but with the difference that the relativistic speed changes the observed frequency due to the Doppler effect by a factor γ.

Synchrotron radiation is also generated by astronomical objects, typically where relativistic electrons spiral (and hence change velocity) through magnetic fields. Two of its characteristics include (1) Non-thermal power-law spectrum, and (2) Polarization.[3]

It was first detected in a jet emitted by M87 in 1956 by Geoffrey R. Burbidge [4], who saw it as confirmation of a prediction by Iosif S. Shklovskii in 1953, but it had been predicted several years earlier by Hannes Alfvén and Nicolai Herlofson [5] in 1950.

A class of astronomical sources where synchrotron emission is important is the pulsar wind nebulas, or plerions, of which the Crab nebula and its associated pulsar are archetypal. Pulsed emission gamma-ray radiation from the Crab has recently been observed up to ≥25 GeV[7], probably due to synchrotron emission by electrons trapped in the strong magnetic field around the pulsar. - WIkipedia

biknewb

Unread post by biknewb » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:06 pm

These secondary discharges may be a way for residual charge to redistribute itself.
After the bulk of the charge is short-circuited to earth, I suppose the remaining charge tries to even out. After all this is a block of insulating material. The freshly created discharge paths seem to provide a conduit for this redistribution.

Just trying to explain what I see. Great show, anyway

MattEU

Lichtenberg figures: yin yang, tree and more

Unread post by MattEU » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:00 pm

I have not seen anything like these before, amazing :)

Lots more photographs available on the telegraph.co.uk at the moment

The Great Dog

Re: Lichtenberg figures: yin yang, tree and more

Unread post by The Great Dog » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:34 am

Go to Bert Hickman's site, Captured Lightning.

TGD
There are no other dogs but The Great Dog

mharratsc

Re: Lichtenberg figures: yin yang, tree and more

Unread post by mharratsc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:56 am

The video on the making of his 'captured lightning' sculptures was phenomenal... especially watching that one big block of acrylic discharging for over 20 minutes.

Neat thing too- he states right in the video that he is taking advantage of double-layers within the acrylic to create those Lichtenberg figurines :)

Take a look at some of those fractal Lichtenberg figurines, then look at the Grand Canyon again in Google maps! ;)

Mike H.
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

Shelgeyr

Requesting wisdom regarding electric force laws

Unread post by Shelgeyr » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:05 pm

I need to request some help in understanding which electric force laws govern a specific effect or action (not sure how best to phrase that...) I'm not asking someone to tutor me in electrical engineering, just to please help kickstart me in the right direction. Also, I'm placing this here in the Planetary Science area because I have a real-world example in mind.

Here is the situation: If you have a current of sufficient strength to cause EDM scarring passing over/through a sphere, leaving behind anode and cathode marks at the points of contact,
Spheres_and_Forces_01.jpg
Big Current

which force law would govern or best explain a logarithmic spiral EDM structure being formed at the exact midpoint between the contacts?
Spheres_and_Forces_03.jpg
Midpoint
Spheres_and_Forces_05.jpg
Big Logarithmic Spiral

At first I thought "there isn't one, this is probably just on the discharge path and I'm seeing the scar from a moving contact point", but that was before I realized that (A) the midpoint isn't on the discharge path, and (B) the center of the spiral actually is the midpoint.

So can anyone help me out with understanding this? In brief: 1) massive current from point A to B, 2) midway between A and B the evidence of a massive rotating (I assume) magnetic field is dictated by what law or laws?

I would be most obliged to anyone who can enlighten me.

Thanks!
Shelgeyr
Sometimes I feel like a tiger’s got my leg...

Shelgeyr

Re: Requesting wisdom regarding electric force laws

Unread post by Shelgeyr » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:57 pm

One strange thing I probably should have mentioned... while the center of the big spiral is at the midway point of a direct line drawn between the two "contacts", it isn't in the middle of the actual length of the discharge path (as far as I can tell) because the discharge path wandered all over the crazy place, for probably the same reason lightning does.
Shelgeyr

MyndsEye

Unread post by MyndsEye » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Too bad their are not any books on the field of plasma geology.

I unfortunately cannot help you with an answer but I do thank you for challenging my brain to think :) It seems as though you may be just as interested in the concepts of EDMing, lichtenburg figures and other such phenomena as I am. I find it amazingly interesting and amazingly against the uniformism thought of mainstream geologists. I have spent a lot of my life amazed by geology and never quite accepted the wind and water stories of erosion crating surface features.

Pertaining to plasma geology I feel that their is great importance to how currents and charges flow and are stored in the layers of the earth. One thing I continually find where there is massive EDM canyons and lichtenburg figures is that the ground the current passed through was layered.

as for just plain interesting and signs of elecftrical scarring on earth I found this amazing flow of lichtenburg figures in australia. it ends at -27.617915°, 141.553020°(I found it first at the end of its "run"). It is intensely dense and just plain beautiful imo.

Shelgeyr

Unread post by Shelgeyr » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:35 pm

MyndsEye,

That area around 27.617915°, 141.553020° is quite pretty. I've never been to Australia, but I'd love to go and I'd bring a variety of cameras with me. I'd also purchase a large quantity of "blood limes" while there, but that's another topic entirely, and this is the wrong website to address it.

Your area is close to what I see as a main inner ring of the structure that makes up eastern Australia. Of late, I've been looking at higher altitude arrangements than I normally do, and not merely identifying rings and spirals. I'm amazed at the number of clearly identifyable "pinch" structures ( >< ) there are, but I'm even more surprised by the number of rhomboid structures, and I flat don't know what to make of those.

Here's a high altitude shot of Australia with the area you identified marked (although probably not vary readable), and with only a few major structures pointed out. For those areas where you can't clearly see what I'm following to identify a ring, I was likely following a magnetic anomaly outline that I turned off for the picture.
GE_Australia_EU_01a.jpg
I'll tell you - if you do this stuff too much, as I do, the results will look like evidence you need to be locked away from polite company, so don't turn on all your placemarks at once!
GE_Australia_EU_02a.jpg
Shelgeyr

MyndsEye

Unread post by MyndsEye » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:02 pm

I just figured out how to draw paths and polygons. the features in google earth dont quite fit on the little ass screen of my acer laptop so it took me awhile :P. I really need to organize my placemarkers though.. It is just too much fun to look for electric discharge features.

Spiders are my favorite! -0.482895°, 36.169349°

johnlee

Unread post by johnlee » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:45 am

If you can see it includes the effects of electric field, temperature, and the interact to wisdom concerning the limits for acceptable defects such as conducting particles.

Last edited by nick c on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: commercial link removed from signature

Shelgeyr

Unread post by Shelgeyr » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:08 pm

johnlee wrote:If you can see it includes the effects of electric field, temperature, and the interact to wisdom concerning the limits for acceptable defects such as conducting particles.
Uhmmmm... I couldn't quite follow that, johnlee... Could I get you to please rephrase your response?
Looking forward to it, and thanks!
Shelgeyr

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:42 pm

I've been waiting to see if anyone with some physics training would try and tackle this scenario you put forth here. I'm thinking that this is such a big pickle that people might be trying to avoid it! o.O

Here's some of the things that come to my mind when looking at this:

- Major current for all cosmic bodies seems to be polar, so it's odd to see your major current hitting at an odd skew like that;
- there are double layers both atmospheric and subterranean, that encompass the globe, and who knows how that would fart around with a current with a goal of going from one side of the sphere to the other;
- I believe I have heard mention of 'toroidal ring currents' that also whirl around the belt of most observable cosmic bodies that are fooling around hither and yon around the middle of the planet.

So in a nutshell (and mind you- I'm not a scientist or anything, but) I personally see so much electrical activity going on around the planetary body that I doubt anyone has even took a shot at trying to figure out an answer to a scenario like yours. :\

NOT that I'm knocking it's value or anything, but - wow, with all the variables that would be a hard one to even get started on. o.O
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

Shelgeyr

Unread post by Shelgeyr » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:34 am

mharratsc,

I appreciate you putting your mind to the task!

As I've mentioned to others, I'm still trying to get my mind around the electric force laws that govern interactions such as these... for instance, I believe the "right hand rule" would dictate that if the spiral were counter-clockwise along the ground plane, then the current would be running from the Earth upwards (to sky? passing object?). What I haven't grasped yet - although it would not surprise me if it has to do with whatever governs the "pinch" phenomena, is that right at the half-way mark between "contacts", it seems to me that something caused at least a portion of the current flow to rotate 90 degrees to the vertical, and blast upwards, rotating along the discharge path.

Here are two views of what I'm talking about, although I think you already "get it".
Spheres_and_Cones_02c.jpg
Sphere_and_Cone_03_A.jpg
Thanks!
Shelgeyr