The Electric Earth

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Dotini

Re: is the Earth an electromagnetic coil/transformer?

Unread post by Dotini » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:21 am

I have a question, please.

If the Earth's magnetic field were to reverse as happened in the distant past, would it involve a collapse and rebuilding such that at some point the field size/strength would go through a severely diminished state, or would it reverse smoothly through slow drifting such that the Earth, its inhabitants and GPS satellites would remain protected?

Respectfully submitted.
Dotini

MattEU

reversing earth or magnetic field ?

Unread post by MattEU » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:50 pm

there appears to be lots of ideas about it because it depends on what you consider has occured

has the earths magnetic field itself reversed while the planet does not turn upside down or the planet turns upside down but the magnetic field does not move with it so now appears reversed

peter warlow did a fascinating talk about it at the SIS cambridge conference a few years ago on the reversing earth (you might still be able to get the superb SIS review of the conference that has all the talks info in it). he also has a book out which i confess i have not bought yet. he suggested the tippe-top motion of the earth could have happened very quickly (within 30 days)

the Velikovsky: discussion and debate might be covering this subject also (if someone who is reading it wants to give us a summary?)

in the discussion Ancient Destruction - Lake Mungo and Lake Victoria and in the video of it there is this ...
ancientd wrote:Part of the story involves the magnetic reversal that occurred at Lake Mungo and by insinuation at the close by Lake Victoria. As Wal Thornhill points out in the full length Video this probabbly was the result of an auroral discharge .Whether that be by coronal mass ejection ,planetry disturbance or comet/meteor is a matter for conjecture but the local aboriginal mythology seems ,at least ,to indicate a comet. The dating is uncertain but since the mythological comet event upstream at Wilcannia was orally transferred you would think not so long ago ( ie 1000-5000 years).I agree re carbon dating not being able to pin point this event because even in normal circumstances it relies on constant decay rates but during a major auroral discharge not only could the decay rate of carbon isotopes be different but the various ratios of carbon 12,carbon13 and carbon 14 vary drastically. Other dating techniques such as uranium/thoriumthermoluminescence would suffer equally under a magnetic reversal. In fact the attendence of magnetic reversals where the field strength goes up to many times the normal strength and the direction of the magnetic dipole wanders dramatically needs more investigation. Officially the last one was 10,000 years ago but i suspect more recent ones have occurred. For instance the Etruscan clay pots controversy at around 700BC. all the best Peter Mungo Jupp
so sometimes, if it was a current flow change or something like that, it may not have even been a long change but might have been a temporary thing

there you go, no questions answered, i hope that helps :)

tesla

Re: is the Earth an electromagnetic coil/transformer?

Unread post by tesla » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:17 am

Using a simple bar magnet as a model for the Earth's electromagnetic field is like using a gravity only model for the workings of the Universe. Any model used must take into account the Birkenland currents that flow thru the Universe, our Solar System & the Earth. So the Sun & the planes, Saturn and also the Earth Moon system could be simple Homopolar moters, albeit on a large scale. That is one aspect of current flow producing spin as well as an electromagnetic field. Is the flow DC or AC? thru the Earth? An AC current with the same wavelength as the distance from Pole to Pole will produce a North South arrangement. vary the phase & you have pole reversal. On top of this you have to include gravity. Is it a by product of an electromagnetic field? If so, then why is it basically the same strength anywhere on a sphere, (Earth), where electromagnetic force is not. We have all been brainwashed to think of lines of force as we see in books etc being actual and really there. But they are not. Hmm, what model to use? What about a large perpex box that encompasses the Earth out past the Moons orbit. Fill it full of very fine oil and fill it with lots of ferrous metal shavings. Then you would see exactly what happens!

Kapriel

Re: Faults as circuit-breakers

Unread post by Kapriel » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:05 am

Webo-
Sorry to be so late in replying.
Where can I read your thread on magnetic reversals and etc? Sounds interesting.
-Kim
Doubt is not proof.

genogeno1

Spontaneous Potential (SP) and Geophysics

Unread post by genogeno1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:22 am

I am interested if there has been any work on the issue of spontaneous potential within the earth and why it exists. This is a measurement that has been used for years in the petroleum industry to identify different layers of rock in the subsurface, and I was told when I worked for Schlumberger that it was formed by small millivolt level differences between the layer in the borehole at say, 500 or 6000 feet versus the level at the ground. That would indicate to me that electrical current flows within the ground, or at least has the potential to do so. I would assume once we ran our electrodes through the borehole, we did in fact set up a current flow from the borehole to the ground, but I may be mistaken.

I wish I had a better grasp of electricity, but maybe someone can help me out.

tayga

Re: Spontaneous Potential (SP) and Geophysics

Unread post by tayga » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi Geno

That's interesting. I'd imagine that the voltage difference indicates that current doesn't readily flow through the rock strata.
tayga

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

- Richard P. Feynman

Normal science does not aim at novelties of fact or theory and, when successful, finds none.
- Thomas Kuhn

CTJG 1986

Unread post by CTJG 1986 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Electrical currents in the ground are called telluric currents and are used in oil exploration quite a bit, though I haven't done much research on the matter myself so here's a couple of 'conventional' viewpoints on the matter:
telluric current, also called Earth Current, natural electric current flowing on and beneath the surface of the Earth and generally following a direction parallel to the Earth’s surface. Telluric currents arise from charges moving to attain equilibrium between regions of differing electric potentials; these differences in potential are set up by several conditions, including very low-frequency electromagnetic waves from space, particularly from the magnetosphere incident upon the Earth’s surface, and moving charged masses in the ionosphere and the atmosphere. Telluric currents are often used by geophysicists to map subsurface structures, such as sedimentary basins, layered rocks, and faults. An anomalous current density or gradient may be indicative of a subsurface structural feature.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top ... ic-current
telluric-current method
1. n. [Geophysics]
An electromagnetic method in which naturally occurring, low-frequency electric currents (telluric currents), are measured at a base station and compared with values measured at other stations. The normalized measurements of telluric current provide information about the direction of current flow and the conductance (conductivity times thickness) of sediments in the surveyed area. Extremely low-frequency telluric currents (with periods of days or months) provide information about conductivity in the deep interior of the Earth.
http://www.glossary.oilfield.slb.com/Di ... t%20method
The difference between a Creationist and a believer in the Big Bang is that the Creationists admit they are operating on blind faith... Big Bang believers call their blind faith "theoretical mathematical variables" and claim to be scientists rather than the theologists they really are.

genogeno1

Unread post by genogeno1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Thanks. I would imagine I could make the leap and say that these currents are tied together in the big picture since it mentioned the ionosphere, electromagnetic radiaton, had direct influence on it. We always measured the SP potential as a log vs depth when we did our work, and it was always a qualitative measure rather than quantitative. It has been over twenty years since I worked in that field, but we would always adjust it to fit a comfortable log scale on the well log and just let it go on the film.

MattEU

Spontaneous Potential (SP) and superdeep boreholes

Unread post by MattEU » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:00 pm

the KTB superdeep borehole and the Russian Kola Superdeep Borehole used SP or similar measurements in the deepest places we have drilled down to in the Earth. everything they found or didnt find was a surprise, including water and even intact uncrushed fossils over 20,000 ft down!
...At a depth of about 7000 m (22,966 ft) they had expected to drill through the boundary between two tectonic plates that collided 320 millions years ago, forming the Eurasion plate. However, this boundary was never crossed, and the geologists have had to redraw most of the subsurface picture.
Other unexpected results include core and log evidence for a network of conductive pathways through highly resistive rock, and in rock devoid of matric porosity, an ample supply of water.

(page 16 of the large pdf) The KTB Borehole - Germany's Superdeep Telescope into the Earth's Crust
they even measured the changes in the earths electricity during auroral activity

the fact that the German KTB superdeep borehole was drilled after the Russian Kola Superdeep Borehole and yet they predicted nothing correct would seem to show that their theories are houses built upon unstable rocks, which is exactly as you would expect if they built them using their predictions :)

100 years or more of geology, perhaps billions spent on it, school and university eduction, all the mineral, oil and gas exploration, extensive surveying before the operation by methodical germans and its all a surprise.

but what i most love about it all is that although it was all a surprise and they got it all wrong the original theories that the whole of geology is based on are not even questioned. amazing.

nick c
Site Admin

Re: The Electric Earth

Unread post by nick c » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:19 am

This thread is a combination of the following threads:

Faults as circuit-breakers

is the Earth an electromagnetic coil/transformer?

The Electric Earth

Charge of the Planet Earth?

ElecGeekMom

TEC movie for years 2000-2012

Unread post by ElecGeekMom » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:46 pm

This is a movie that uses the raw TEC data from JPL for the years 2000 to 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ravjjH1D ... e=youtu.be

The color palette is not the same as other charts use. Warmer colors indicate lower values. Coolor colors and B&W indicate higher values.

Kent on the Yahoo Groups ULFELF group put this together.

starbiter

Re: TEC movie for years 2000-2012

Unread post by starbiter » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:25 pm

This high energy over the area East of the Bay of Bengal reminds me of the work of Tolenio. This high energy would be the beginning of heat and earthquakes if i understand him.

michael
I Ching #49 The Image
Fire in the lake: the image of REVOLUTION
Thus the superior man
Sets the calender in order
And makes the seasons clear

www.EU-geology.com

http://www.michaelsteinbacher.com

jacmac

Unread post by jacmac » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks, but what does TEC mean in actual words please?

Jack

CTJG 1986

Unread post by CTJG 1986 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:47 am

jacmac wrote:Thanks, but what does TEC mean in actual words please?

Jack
TEC stands for Total Electron Content, measuring the density of 'free electrons' in the Earth's ionosphere.

Edit: I'm not a big fan of Wiki but here's some more info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_electron_content
The difference between a Creationist and a believer in the Big Bang is that the Creationists admit they are operating on blind faith... Big Bang believers call their blind faith "theoretical mathematical variables" and claim to be scientists rather than the theologists they really are.

tolenio

Geomagnetic earth core shuffling

Unread post by tolenio » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:59 am

Observations of Shuffling Rotation of the Earth's Inner Core and its Time Correlation With Geomagnetic Jerks

Tkalcic, H.; Young, M.; Bodin, T.; Sambridge, M.
EGU General Assembly 2012, held 22-27 April, 2012 in Vienna, Austria., p.3923

We report the first observational evidence that the complex rotational dynamics of the Earth's inner core appear to be in close relationship with the geomagnetic field. We infer from a newly observed collection of earthquake doublets that the Earth's inner core "shuffles", exhibiting both prograde and retrograde rotation in the reference frame of the mantle. Evidence for a complex pattern in the rotation of the inner core characterized by episodes of both prograde and retrograde motion is presented. A key feature of the new analysis is that the number of parameters in the inversion controlling the rotation rate of the Earth's inner core may itself be treated as an unknown, which is robustly constrained by the data itself in a manner consistent with the inherent noise. According to our results, a short time interval (on the order of one to two years) is needed for the inner core to accelerate to a rotation rate of several degrees per year, and typically a slightly longer time is needed to decelerate down to a negligibly small differential rotation rate. These time scales are in agreement with experimental spin-up times obtained when the magnetic torque alone is used to accelerate the inner core. A significant result is that all three time-intervals in which the inner core distinctively accelerates with respect to the rest of the planet are in agreement with known occurrences of geomagnetic jerks. However, we do not find a correlation between the other three reported geomagnetic jerks and the changes in rotation rate. Hence, intriguingly, a geomagnetic jerk appears to be a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for a change in the inner core rotation rate. Because there is also a documented correlation between the geomagnetic jerks and the Length of Day time series, this all points to the same source and works in favour of a differential rotation rather than processes at the inner core boundary. Last but not least, when we integrate the rotation rate over different time intervals, it is possible to explain discrepancies between the body wave and normal modes results for the rate of the inner core rotation found by previous authors. We show that the integrated shift in angular alignment and average rotation rates (previously determined to be constant) in normal mode studies are much smaller that those for the body waves.
Last edited by nick c on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling correction (geomagnetic) in title
"The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so. As for you, be as sly as snakes and as simple as doves." Gospel of Thomas http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gthlamb.html