Earth's Changing Oblateness

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

tolenio

Earth's Changing Oblateness

Unread post by tolenio » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:31 am

Hello,

How does the electric universe deal with the below variations?
Variations in the Earth's oblateness during the past 28 years

Variations in the Earth's oblateness during the past 28 years

Minkang Cheng

Center for Space Research, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, USA

Byron D. Tapley

Center for Space Research, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, USA

Analysis of satellite laser ranging (SLR) data indicates that the Earth's dynamic oblateness (J 2) has undergone significant variations during the past 28 years. The dominant signatures in the observed variations in J 2 are (1) a secular decrease with a rate of approximately −2.75 × 10−11 yr−1, (2) seasonal annual variations with a mean amplitude of 2.9 × 10−10, (3) significant interannual variations with timescales of 4–6 years, and (4) a variation with period of ∼21 years and an amplitude of ∼1.4 × 10−10 with minimum in December 1988. Two large interannual variations are related to the strong El Niño-Southern Oscillation events during the periods of 1986–1991 and 1996–2002, and it appears that another interannual cycle may have started in late 2002. The superposition of the decadal variation on the interannual signal makes the J 2 fluctuation appear to be anomalously large during the 1996–2002 period. Contemporary models of the mass redistributions in the atmosphere, ocean, and surface water can explain a major part of the 4- to 6-year fluctuations. However, the cause of the decadal variation remains unknown.

Received 18 February 2004; accepted 6 July 2004; published 16 September 2004.
I am sure there is a reason, just curious what it is.

Later,
Tom
"The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so. As for you, be as sly as snakes and as simple as doves." Gospel of Thomas http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gthlamb.html

Florian

Re: Earth's Changing Oblateness

Unread post by Florian » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:58 pm

tolenio wrote: I am sure there is a reason, just curious what it is.
Earth is growing.
--
Florian
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer.

tolenio

Unread post by tolenio » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:26 am

Hello,

My guess would be that planetary oblateness is driven by solar cycles. Compound maxima or minima in a couple of the longer cycles. Some believe that water in its various forms (glacial/liquid) account for oblateness cycles. This makes sense but I am sure there is a more profound electrical cause. Magentic fields steer the movement of matter so changes in the earth's rotating axial magnetic field should affect oblateness.

We are approaching the Wolf-Gleissberg solar minima in the next couple of decades and oblateness is rapidly changing. We are also approaching a pole reversal sometime in the future. These field changes should affect how matter is steered.

There must be an electrical connection.

tom
"The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so. As for you, be as sly as snakes and as simple as doves." Gospel of Thomas http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gthlamb.html

keeha

Unread post by keeha » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:03 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equatorial_bulge
The Earth's rate of rotation is slowing down mainly because of tidal interactions with the Moon and the Sun. Since the solid parts of the Earth are ductile, the Earth's equatorial bulge has been decreasing in step with the decrease in the rate of rotation.
I don't know if the timeframes are relevant. It sure would further understanding if we were presented with more data and fewer assumptions.

tolenio

Unread post by tolenio » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:22 am

Hello,

If a science abstract contained in the first post is not "data" then I cannot help you.

Tom

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:42 am

Perhaps the Earth is still "rebounding" from stresses experienced in it's recent catastrophic past.

nick c

tolenio

Unread post by tolenio » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:50 am

Hi,

Then why the cyclic variations as stated in the abstract?

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:00 pm

hi Tom,
Possibly this is irrelevant to the original post on this thread, and I of course don't want to derail things. But I was thinking of Cardonna's assertion (as would follow from the theory) that the Earth is presently still rebounding from the relaxation of forces (the removal of planets in close proximity) exerted upon it during it's recent past.
Cardonna wrote:Is there any evidence of a remnant of such a tidal bulge in
Earth's north polar region?

Of course there is ... The real shape of Earth ... is better
described as a triaxial spheroid rather than an oblate one, with
the bulge of its pearshape measured in meters rather than
kilometers. But as a residue, or remnant, of a former greater
uplift of land even meters are of significance. As Frederick Hall
asked:

"What pulled Earth out of shape from above its north pole? The
small dimensions of this shift indicate the pull was short term
(as in centuries to millennia) rather than eons. Furthermore the
effect is relaxing, and in geological terms the distorting
influence must have been remarkably recent."
http://www.kronia.com/thoth/ThotIV01.txt
I would suppose that if the (abstract) original article referred exclusively to the equatorial bulge then it would not be relevant, and we would have to look at a connection with the planet's rotation and its' causes.

nick c

tolenio

Unread post by tolenio » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:01 am

Hi,

Watch this ferrfluid experiment from MIT. Note the first few milliseconds as the magnetic field is extablished;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu6L2M2gpu4

The ferrofluid grows as the magnetic field intensifies.

Now this experiment is not based on how ferrofluid responds to changes in the magnetic field, but to steady gauss and hertz, but the first few milliseconds show it growing.

I would contend that if they varied the gauss and hertz of the field we would be able to see changes it the shape produced.

The earth is magnetic and it and it has an evolving magnetic field. The sun is magetic and it too has an evolving magnetic field.

Since the above demonstrarion proves that magnetic fields steer matter I would contend they influence the shape of earth and the sun. Hence,longer solar cycles should influence the oblateness of earth. When longer solar cycles compound the effect would be more profound.

Currently we have the Wolf-Gleissberg solar miniman and 11 year cycle both in minima. There are longer cycles than the Wolf-Gleissberg.

I would contend that the tetonic plates are steered in a similar fashion to the above video. I see correlations between solar plasma leaking into earths magnetosphere and earthquake events as that plasma grounds itself out (through the grounding creates magnetic movement and steering).

Tom

popster1

Unread post by popster1 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:28 am

I am unfamiliar with the terms used in the measurement of oblateness. Could someone clarify how much the Earth is reportedly changing in size in some tangible units? Many thanks.
I've lived long enough to see nearly everything I ever believed to be true disproved at least once.

DIM12TRAV

Unread post by DIM12TRAV » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:40 am

Has anyone ever considered the impact of asteroids as a factor that changes the shape of the earth? The biggest being the 65 million years old event that destroyed the dinosaurs and brought night time to the whole globe for awhile. Granted the comparable size of such an asteroid is small compared with the size of the earth but its effect on the Earth which has a semi-liguid core might be significant.

keeha

Unread post by keeha » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:12 pm

My comment was to the wiki post Tom.

Good graphs here: http://www.aviso.oceanobs.com/fileadmin ... nerem2.pdf

tholden

Pico island and the Pacific void

Unread post by tholden » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:29 pm

I notice lately that some of this stuff has gotten markedly easier to talk about without sounding like you just fell out of a tree...

Consider some of what Wikipedia has to say about red dwarf stars for instance, e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitabili ... rf_systems
"Determining the habitability of red dwarf systems could help reveal the likelihood of extraterrestrial life, as red dwarfs make up most stars in theMilky Way Galaxy."
and
"Planets that are close enough to red dwarfs to receive a sufficient amount of radiation for liquid water are likely to have long been tidally locked to their respective stars so that the planet rotates only once for every time it completes an orbit; this means that one face always points at the star (creating perpetual day) and one face always points away (creating perpetual night)."
An artist's impression of a planet in orbit around a red dwarf.

In other words, the most common planetary situation in our galaxy is for a planet to orbit a red dwarf star in tidal lock. Assuming life on such a planet was possible at all, you'd live on the starward side and leave the dark side alone and, at the same time, since there would be no seasons (as Plato, Hesiod, Ovid and others describe), you'd basically just pick a latitude to suit your own taste in weather.

Now a tidal lock situation over any space of time would create a tidal bulge on the planet underneath its star and it might easily pull most if not all of the land mass of the planet onto one side.

Try this and see what you think. Open up Google Earth on your latest computer and point it at the Portuguese Azores and the island of Pico, which contains the highest point in what is called the mid Atlantic bulge at something like 7700' above sea level:

Mt. Pico isn't as high as Everest of course, but for sure it is the highest thing anywhere close to where it actually is. The idea is to bring Pico Island to the very center of the planet (on Google Earth), and then spin the planet roughly 180 degrees around; here's what I get:

I mean it isn't perfect but it ought to look pretty much like anybody who'd been following the research involved with the Kronia and Thunderbolts groups would expect.

Lynn Rose believed he had a reason for placing the sub-polar point (at least for one period of time) in the Afar triangle area close to present day Yemen. That was before the age of things like Google Earth or Youtube of course. My own money would be on Pico island at this point.

Shelgeyr

Re: Pico island and the Pacific void

Unread post by Shelgeyr » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:45 pm

tholden, I hate to have to disagree, even though I applaud and encourage (for what it is worth) the avenues you're pursuing. Don't stop!

However, the antipode of Pico (38.464879954577896, -28.40240478515625), is a bit further West than you’ve turned your globe, and in fact is just off the Southeast coast of Australia at these coordinates:
-38.464879954577896, 151.59759521484375
Pico_and_Antipode.jpg
Seriously though, keep on this track!

In a wonderful paper that I heartily recommend you reading, David Pratt said, in part:
A striking feature of the oceans and continents today is that they are arranged antipodally: The Arctic Ocean is precisely antipodal to Antarctica; North America is exactly antipodal to the Indian Ocean; Europe and Africa are antipodal to the central area of the Pacific Ocean; Australia is antipodal to the small basin of the North Atlantic; and the South Atlantic corresponds— though less exactly—to the eastern half of Asia (Bucher, 1933; Gregory, 1899, 1901; Steers, 1950). Only 7% of the earth’s surface does not obey the antipodal rule. If the continents had slowly drifted thousands of kilometers to their present positions, the antipodal arrangement of land and water would have to be regarded as purely coincidental. Harrison et al. (1983) calculated that there is one chance in seven that this arrangement is the result of a random process.
(See: Journal of Scientific Exploration, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 307–352, 2000, “Plate Tectonics: A Paradigm Under Threat”, by David Pratt, Daal en Bergselaan 68, 2565 AG The Hague, The Netherlands, dp5@compuserve.com), or his own site: http://davidpratt.info/tecto.htm

Great paper, and only 46 pages long, if you count the 10 pages of references at the end (I’m looking at the .pdf version, instead of the website).

My personal belief, and one I know I share with some others because I didn’t come up with this, as much as I wish I had, is that this antipodal relationship is likely due to the manner in which the Earth was formed (the planet itself is a fulgurite), and the subsequent obscenely gigantic antipodal ground-to-ground discharges that went on afterwards in order to achieve some respectable level of charge equalization across the surface of the planet. Thus, Antarctica was likely formed from material gouged out of the Arctic, Europe and Africa out of the Pacific, etc., In fact, I think I disagree with David Pratt only in one little detail (aside from his not addressing the hypothesis of the Earth being formed through an electric discharge process), and that is where he says that “the South Atlantic corresponds— though less exactly—to the eastern half of Asia”, I think he’s missing the point. In truth, the bulk of South America, by which I mainly but not exclusively mean “Brazil”, is antipodal to the major mostly-oceanic ring that is Indonesia, Southeast Asia, Eastern China, the Philippines, and a good chunk (perhaps all) of the Philippine Sea.
S_America_and_Antipode_b.jpg
Just so you know, I find http://www.antipodemap.com/ an extremely useful tool...
Shelgeyr
Sometimes I feel like a tiger’s got my leg...

tholden

Re: Pico island and the Pacific void

Unread post by tholden » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:16 pm

I didn't say it was perfect... But when I spin the planet around as close as possible to 180 degrees on Google Earth, it does take me from Pico and that Mid Atlantic Bulge to a section of the Pacific which is almost all blue water and it's fairly easy to look at that Mid Atlantic ridge/bulge the way Google shows it and picture it under a small red/orange star.