Pan, shepherd moon of Saturn

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Pan, shepherd moon of Saturn

Unread postby comingfrom » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:29 am

On the news, new close ups of Pan, moon of Saturn.
So I googled it to find out more.

Can see the pictures at NY Times article
(images too large to insert here)

What caught my attention was ...

Pan is one of Saturn’s shepherd moons, clearing out a 200-mile-wide space in Saturn’s rings known as the Encke Gap.

Still, it didn't click with me until, right at the end of the article, they mentioned ...

In January, during a flyby of Daphnis, another of the shepherd moons, Cassini was able to successfully take only one photograph.

And I read the caption with the picture.

Cassini took this image of Daphnis, a 5-mile-wide moon, in January. Daphnis’ gravity also opened a gap in Saturn’s rings and created the scalloped wave pattern at the ring edges. Credit NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute

On reading that I thought, what? "gravity opened a gap in the rings".
Gravity is a force of attraction. Isn't it?
I think it must be Daphnis' (and Pan's) electric field that clears the dust in it's orbital path, by repelling it.

~Paul
comingfrom

Re: Pan, shepherd moon of Saturn

Unread postby GaryN » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:54 pm

From some angles, Pans disk appears clearly hexagonal, pointing to EM effects. Over time it would likely be observed that the disk will grow as a result of the electrically charged dust in the rings being sputtered onto Pan. Quite low eV energies are required for the process
What reveals itself to me ceases to be mysterious for me alone: if I unveil it to anyone else, he hears mere words which betray the living sense: Profanation, but never revelation.
~ Egyptian Proverbs
GaryN

Unread postby comingfrom » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:02 am

Thank you Gary.

I agree. While a path is being cleared by electromagnetic repulsion, a percentage of the dust, maybe dust of opposite charge, gets attracted to the moon, forming a 2 mile high mountain range all the way around the 20 mile wide moon.

Gravity defying stuff.

And did you notice the stars in the background?
~Paul
comingfrom

Unread postby GaryN » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:43 pm

And did you notice the stars in the background?

No, some cosmic ray artifacts in some of the images. Pan itself would not be visible to your eyes.
Raw images, select Pan from target list
https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/galleries/raw-images/
What reveals itself to me ceases to be mysterious for me alone: if I unveil it to anyone else, he hears mere words which betray the living sense: Profanation, but never revelation.
~ Egyptian Proverbs
GaryN

Unread postby comingfrom » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:14 pm

Thanks Gary, I do believe you are right (about artifacts, at least).
Here is one image that got snowed under.

But I don't understand why, of all the wavelengths of light, only visible light cannot penetrate space.
~Paul
comingfrom

Unread postby GaryN » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:57 pm

But I don't understand why, of all the wavelengths of light, only visible light cannot penetrate space.

Who said it can't? But lets not derail this thread.
~ Egyptian Proverbs
GaryN

Return to Electric Universe - Planetary Science