Ceres!

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Steve Smith

Re: Ceres!

Unread post by Steve Smith » Mon May 11, 2015 1:25 pm

Here's another image of Ceres from May 4 -- I rotated the published image by 90 degrees left and enhanced the contrast:

Ceres enhanced contrast

Looks more like Rhea than it does Tethys.

Metryq

Unread post by Metryq » Tue May 12, 2015 3:44 am

"My god, it's full of stars!"

Closest look yet at Ceres’ bright spots
In this view, the brightest spots within a crater in Ceres’ northern hemisphere are revealed to be composed of many smaller spots. As of now, their exact nature remains unknown.

Steve Smith

Unread post by Steve Smith » Tue May 12, 2015 8:23 am

It looks like patches of high albedo dust.

Since Ceres is composed of carbonates and "iron-rich" clay, some of those compounds might be scattered on the surface. Magnesium carbonate is bright white.

http://irtfweb.ifa.hawaii.edu/~elv/icarus185.563.pdf

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Tue May 12, 2015 10:59 am

- Shoot Forth Thunder -

Metryq

Unread post by Metryq » Wed May 13, 2015 2:04 am

Steve Smith wrote:It looks like patches of high albedo dust.
Interesting. But why only these "two" small patches of that entire surface? If we're going to get the impact excuse, then how did "two" impacts occur so closely together? MRVing impactors?

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Wed May 13, 2015 6:15 am

Metryq wrote:
Steve Smith wrote:It looks like patches of high albedo dust.
Interesting. But why only these "two" small patches of that entire surface? If we're going to get the impact excuse, then how did "two" impacts occur so closely together? MRVing impactors?
The small pitting is interesting, it is expected from an electrical discharge, i counted 3 same size small white spots (pitting away at the surface presumably). If you closely at other large craters you can also see small pits in the crater floor (especially one top left in the hi res i linked to)

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Wed May 13, 2015 7:14 am

More withholding images with interesting details but admission in the article >
But the Great Whites are only one collection of spots out of many dotting the dwarf planet’s surface, and each group has significantly different features. Some are near immense cracks that stretch nearly a quarter of the way around Ceres, and others are connected to bright rays of what seem to be ejected material, suggesting a linkage to ancient or recent world-shaking impacts of comets or asteroids.
from: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -on-ceres/

Spots near cracks is inline with EU where discharges occur on rims etc. And spots associated with bright rays and ejected materials is inline with how EU views jets on asteroids that are actively eroding the surface.

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

motamouth

Unread post by motamouth » Wed May 13, 2015 7:43 am

D_Archer wrote:More withholding images with interesting details but admission in the article >
But the Great Whites are only one collection of spots out of many dotting the dwarf planet’s surface, and each group has significantly different features. Some are near immense cracks that stretch nearly a quarter of the way around Ceres, and others are connected to bright rays of what seem to be ejected material, suggesting a linkage to ancient or recent world-shaking impacts of comets or asteroids.
from: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -on-ceres/

Spots near cracks is inline with EU where discharges occur on rims etc. And spots associated with bright rays and ejected materials is inline with how EU views jets on asteroids that are actively eroding the surface.

Regards,
Daniel
In the recent 'composite', that shows rotation, the brightness of the spots appears to be independent of the angle of rotation. Would this suggest that the spot material is intrinsically bright rather than just reflective?

Regards,
Eric.

Steve Smith

Unread post by Steve Smith » Wed May 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Well, in December, when Dawn is at its closest approach, we'll most likely know for sure what all this is, then. I see the spots diminish as they enter darkness, so if they go away when there's no light, I'm still left with the impression of high albedo dust.

Ceres close up

I rotated the image 90 degrees left and enhanced the contrast slightly. "They" say it's sunlight reflecting off surface ice. I have a problem with a visible sheet of ice in a vacuum.

Also, the rotation animation shows many high albedo patches, some that appear diffuse, like a powder on the surface. I doubt that there is electrical activity on Ceres of strength sufficient to cause this effect, like Io or Enceladus. I see slight specular distortion in the form of faint rays like those from an overexposed light source, as well, so I think, at this point, I agree with "them" that it's reflected sunlight.

Ceres was worked over pretty good by electric arcs at some time in the past. Those arcs aren't active today, but since Ceres is a freeze-dried mausoleum, with nothing much going on anymore, the forensic evidence remains as fresh as the day it was created. What's old looks young.

http://indico.cern.ch/event/43007/mater ... ntribId=19

Steve Smith

Unread post by Steve Smith » Fri May 15, 2015 7:57 am

paladin17

Unread post by paladin17 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:12 am

Steve Smith wrote:Ceres Rotation
Cool video, thanks.
Here's a bit more insane video. The source: unmannedspaceflight.com forum.
It doesn't look like there is much directional dependence. I think this is more like a bright powder with high albedo there than some polished surface. Could be a little of both, of course. Maybe there is some spiky crystalline thing out there, so it reflects at almost any angle. And at the same time the piece of matter could be quite reflective on its own.

stevepidge

Unread post by stevepidge » Fri May 15, 2015 9:28 am

paladin17 wrote:
Steve Smith wrote:Ceres Rotation
Cool video, thanks.
Here's a bit more insane video. The source: unmannedspaceflight.com forum.
It doesn't look like there is much directional dependence. I think this is more like a bright powder with high albedo there than some polished surface. Could be a little of both, of course. Maybe there is some spiky crystalline thing out there, so it reflects at almost any angle. And at the same time the piece of matter could be quite reflective on its own.
As in maybe.. a large growth of naturals crystals or diamonds?

paladin17

Unread post by paladin17 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:51 am

stevepidge wrote: As in maybe.. a large growth of naturals crystals or diamonds?
Yeah, something like that.
What I said was pretty much off the top of my head. But who knows what actually is there.

stevepidge

Unread post by stevepidge » Fri May 15, 2015 11:34 am

paladin17 wrote:
stevepidge wrote: As in maybe.. a large growth of naturals crystals or diamonds?
Yeah, something like that.
What I said was pretty much off the top of my head. But who knows what actually is there.
I wonder, how Goethe would interpret such a light phenomena?

I suspect ...

The highest which man can attain in these matters,” said Goethe, on this occasion, “is astonishment; if the primary phenomenon causes this, let him be satisfied; more it cannot bring; and he should forbear to seek for anything further behind it: here is the limit. But the sight of a primitive phenomenon is generally not enough for people; they think they must go still further; and are thus like children who, after peeping into a mirror, turn it round directly to see what is on the other side.”

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Fri May 15, 2015 6:35 pm

. .. after peeping into a mirror, turn it round directly to see what is on the other side.”
. Goethe / Steve
probably ash pits

Goethe is a world treasure, even now coming again to light...