Climate Change

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

tholden

Re: FR thread on "climate change(TM)" and Wikipedia

Unread post by tholden » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:00 pm

popster1

Glacial melt faster in the 1940s than today

Unread post by popster1 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:26 pm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 124858.htm
The most recent studies by researchers at ETH Zurich show that in the 1940s Swiss glaciers were melting at an even-faster pace than at present. This is despite the fact that the temperatures in the 20th century were lower than in this century.
They do hypothesize changes in solar radiation, but they attribute them to changes in the atmosphere rather than to solar output variations.
I've lived long enough to see nearly everything I ever believed to be true disproved at least once.

olexrina

Re: FR thread on "climate change(TM)" and Wikipedia

Unread post by olexrina » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:31 am

Wikipedia has a new format. Is there anyway I can make my Firefox open up the old format instead of the new? The old Wikipedia pages have a more handsome layout than their new format which is bland and harder to read. I use Firefox as my browser. Sometimes (not always) Internet Explorer opens up the old format but very seldom. Do you know how I can always open up the OLD format?

amzolt

ClimateGate??

Unread post by amzolt » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:40 am

I'd really like to see some EU responses to this blog post:

http://climateprogress.org/2010/02/14/t ... +Progress)
below the fold is an "explanation" of CO2 and global heating...

I'm aware, somewhat, of the arguments provided about Venus' atmosphere and the, apparently, spurious claims about greenhouse heating but would like a few comparisons of Venus and Earth, too.........

telegura

Global warming

Unread post by telegura » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:45 am

What exactly is global warming? Well seeing as how I'm almost eighteen years old, this is probably a dumb question to ask, but I'm writing a paper in high school and the teacher chose my topic. It has to be global warming. I just never really thought about or looked into it so I'm not all that sure what it even is. Does anyone have any factual information about global warming?

Siggy_G

Re: Global warming

Unread post by Siggy_G » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:22 am

Hi and welcome to the forum! I can't put forward any links or sources at the moment (will look into it later on), but it can surely be an intersting paper. In short, from wikipedia:

"Global warming is the increase in the average temperature of Earth's near-surface air and oceans since the mid-20th century and its projected continuation."

First off, make sure you distinguish between what is factual, the various statistics that's out there and how this is used politically (to which purposes). Also try to define global warming versus climate change. Has the global average temperatures increased or decreased the last few years? Are the statistics debated within the scientific community, and why? How are the natural mechanics and cycles, such as:
- incoming energy from the Sun (a variable star) during its cycles
- cosmic rays appear to have a correlation with cloud formations (and shielding of incoming energy from the Sun)
- what seems to have been the historic cycles? Why have climate changes occured before?

ElecGeekMom

Unread post by ElecGeekMom » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:32 am

Welcome!

How did you happen to come to this forum?

Does your teacher expect something conventional, something that primarily advocates *for* global warming and blames humans for it? Or does your teacher expect you to do more digging and come up with alternative theories arguments, and solutions?

If you need alternative theories, I recommend looking into these two sites:

http://wattsupwiththat.com (be sure to click on the "climategate" link near the top of the page)
http://www.iceagenow.com

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:30 am

Hi Telegura,
Welcome aboard.
What exactly is the essay question/title?
It's important, IMO, to differentiate between climate change (which is perfectly natural and ongoing) and global warming, whether man-made or not. Whether climate per se change exists or is just a phase of climate change is another matter.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

tholden

Hide the Decline on youtube ("climate change")

Unread post by tholden » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Beyond funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrd3HYU80Dk

Funnier, Michael Mann intends to sue the producers; everything he's ever done involving climate studies would be on the public record the next morning...

solrey

Re: global warming

Unread post by solrey » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:46 am

Welcome purnima. I think you picked the wrong tree to bark at.

Global Warming Fraud Collapses Amidst Deception And Scandal

Riding the Solar Cycle

cheers
“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
Nikola Tesla

CTJG 1986

Unread post by CTJG 1986 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:08 am

I don't think he's barking up the wrong tree as I have a couple suggestions:

1) Stop lying about climate change being anthropogenic(man-made).

2) Admit that climate change is something that occurs naturally through many earthly and cosmic forces and us humans despite our love for thinking we are so important really have little or any affect on it.

3) Admit that CO2 is not the evil earth destroyer claimed by alarmists but rather a natural fertilizer without which no life would exist.

4) Put down the doomsday theories/videos about non-existent anthropogenic global warming and start focusing on the types of pollution that actually do significant harm - illegal dumping in oceans and wildlife areas, chemical pollutions that cause ill health affects to living creatures and so on.

5) Profit?

Oh wait, #5 is only for the alarmists if the first 4 are ignored...
The difference between a Creationist and a believer in the Big Bang is that the Creationists admit they are operating on blind faith... Big Bang believers call their blind faith "theoretical mathematical variables" and claim to be scientists rather than the theologists they really are.

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:14 am

purnima,
Welcome to the forum, in addition to the links given by solrey and the points made by CTJG1986, I would suggest reading Wal Thornhill concerning the issues of global warming and what actually is the causal factor of Earth's weather.
Global Warming in a Climate of Ignorance
Electric Weather

Related TPOD's:
Hows the Weather?
Martian Global Warming
Weather: Fair, Foul, or
Electric?

Nick

Vek

Unread post by Vek » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:52 am

I'll hold back on the welcome to purnima.
Beg pardon if I'm incorrect but I think we got us a spambot for market samurai.com

Moderator Note:
Yes, Vek you are correct. The original post was a two sentence general statement on global warming. The poster then returned days later and added a signature to his profile that linked up to a commercial site. The thread, minus the original post remains, as the topic may foster legitimate responses from forum members.
"You will see that when the filters are cleared, that we are all connected.
This is just the way it is."
Junglelord

kieth

Unread post by kieth » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:49 am

Badly. Changing patterns of temperature and precipitation are especially dangerous to our carefully engineered food crops (not so much to weeds, though). Responding to that would require modify farms to grow different crops, redoing elaborate irrigation systems, etc.

In developed countries all that will simply require money. A LOT of money. Undeveloped countries can't afford it, and a lot of desperate hungry people will be on the move. National borders won't stop them, and the result will be chaos and war. Some undeveloped countries are even worse off, Bangladesh has much agricultural land only inches above sea level. Flooding that land with salt water will ruin it, essentially forever.

redeye

Unread post by redeye » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:49 pm

In developed countries all that will simply require money. A LOT of money. Undeveloped countries can't afford it, and a lot of desperate hungry people will be on the move. National borders won't stop them, and the result will be chaos and war. Some undeveloped countries are even worse off, Bangladesh has much agricultural land only inches above sea level. Flooding that land with salt water will ruin it, essentially forever.
It's just as well the oceans stopped rising (from their usual rate of 3mm per year) around eight years ago. Every prediction made using AGW theories has been falsified.

The recent data supplied by the TIMED satellite was not predicted by anybody...nobody understands the Earth's atmosphere, at least not enough to construct a model which is likely to valid.

Some people do have more of a clue: TPOD Peirs Corbyn

Sorry if my tone is a little abrupt but I am heartily sick of this media driven crap. The AGW debacle is clearly aimed to further subjugate the third world to the tyranny of the capitalist countries and their hideous consumption. You are being used!

Cheers!