Crater formation videos

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Solar

Re: Crater formation videos

Unread post by Solar » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:48 am

substance wrote: Wouldn`t this be the case if one side of the moon was more positively charged, while the other was had more negative charge? Just an idea, seems logical, I don`t know why.
That's an interesting idea.

Take a look here at the Magnetic field of the Moon. Not only does the moon pass through the tail of the Earth's magnetosphere:
Roughly once every Lunar orbit, the Moon passes through Earth's magnetotail for approximately 6 days. Interaction with the plasma sheet causes the Moon's surface to become negatively charged. On the Moon's dayside this effect is counteracted to a degree by sunlight...

But on the nightside electrons accumulate and surface voltages can climb to hundreds or thousands of volts. There's growing evidence that fine particles of moondust might actually float, ejected from the lunar surface by electrostatic repulsion.
In this photo both sides of the moon are shown overlaid with "crustal" magnetic field strength.

Here is an APOD photo of the far side of the moon. Vastly different. So depending on whether or not the far side has passed through the Earth's magneto-tail and is, on that side, more negatively charged - I suppose that the near side would be less negatively charged because of being 'counteracted sunlight' supposedly.

Hmmm a very interesting catch.
Last edited by Solar on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:48 am

The illusion from which we are seeking to extricate ourselves is not that constituted by the realm of space and time, but that which comes from failing to know that realm from the standpoint of a higher vision. -L.H.

StefanR

Unread post by StefanR » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:56 am

But it some how also has some relationship with :

Aurora on Mars
The illusion from which we are seeking to extricate ourselves is not that constituted by the realm of space and time, but that which comes from failing to know that realm from the standpoint of a higher vision. -L.H.

Plasmatic

Unread post by Plasmatic » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:18 pm

This is why I dont think its impacts from meteors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpIoLxCKZkU
"Logic is the art of non-contradictory identification"......" I am therefore Ill think"
Ayn Rand
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Aristotle

substance

Unread post by substance » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:23 am

Interesting, did you do that Plasmastic, is that your video?
I don`t suppose the vastly different other side of the moon has anything to do with these flashes. I mean, there are a lot more craters on the other side and for EDM to produce deformations this big, there have to be other bodies passing with their plasma sheaths through the moon`s, right?
My personal blog about science, technology, society and politics. - Putredo Mundi

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:44 pm

Plasmatic wrote:This is why I dont think its impacts from meteors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpIoLxCKZkU

Sure am glad you got this thread going. Many interesting suggestions on experiments and areas of attention, especially
these flashes. If someone undertakes to investigate them in relationship to lunar orientation, the THEMIS data might be worth a look as relates to the events that have been detected in earth's tail region. I'll have to go back to the old Hypersensitive Solar System thread to find what was mentioned there about THEMIS observation.

A great point was made by 'substance' in reference to differences in surface charge. I can't imagine this not being a factor
from another perspective, that i think has been suggested, of activity at the boundary between the light and dark regions.

In my experiments I seen interaction between the plastic sides around the tube and the surface of the tube, that boundary is kept cleaner that the central part of the screen.

On another note,
In my experiments, where the CRT is powered on, i always get craters and the redepositing of material around the discharge point and to the probe. I am almost certain that the dust is holding the charge that is being generated by the CRT. I say this because locations which discharge seem to cease from any further discharge activity, for a while that is. Relating this to the charge of the surface of the moon, i would not be surprised to learn that discharges could occur between two adjacent points of the surface. The distribution shown on the map seems to be only middle latitudes, this may be important. Wouldn't these areas receive a greater saturation of solar bombardment than the polar regions? So this may be two, actually four, areas of surface differential (light and dark on either side and also each polar region).

Plasmatic-man, the direction you've taken these experiments is really great. Can you tune me in on the project ahead so i can follow along. In Chapters nine and ten of the book i hope you received, and have had a chance to digest over the last
year, A.D. Moore goes into detail on the what i think makes the ionizer what it is today.
By the way I saw some Orik ionizers, that were half the price of new, in a catalogue mailed out by The Sportsman Guide. They were refurbished. In a new catalogue from the summer they have desktop models for $30. Now i can get in on the fun and turn up the juice.

Good to see you all carrying on, i've got some catching up to do. d....z

http://www.electric-spark-scars.com

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:03 pm

I forgot to mention something about the transient video.

We know that dust gets lofted into the air during a discharge, so i'm wondering if those flashes you are showing might be particles getting zapped by the device. Seems like the flashes occur along the same line as the conductor orientation. Just a thought. d..z

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:49 pm

substance wrote:Interesting, did you do that Plasmastic, is that your video?
I don`t suppose the vastly different other side of the moon has anything to do with these flashes. I mean, there are a lot more craters on the other side and for EDM to produce deformations this big, there have to be other bodies passing with their plasma sheaths through the moon`s, right?
You'll probably find this addition from a participant of another forum, which MGMirkin also participates on, to be of interest as relates to potential voltage difference.
MGmirkin wrote:(Astronomers Discover That The Earth's Magnetotail Charges The Surface Of The Moon)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2008 ... e_moon.htm
Astrophysicists found that the moon's surface becomes electrified during each full moon. The moon passes through the Earth's magnetotail, a cone of highly-charged particles, for about 6 days each month. On the side of the moon facing the sun, ultraviolet particles disrupt the electromagnetic effect, keeping the voltage at low levels, but on the dark side, the voltage can reach hundreds or thousands of volts.

[...]

"The surface of the moon can become electrified from charged particles in the surrounding space environment," says Timothy Stubbs, Ph.D., a space scientist at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

This electric event happens once a month when the moon passes through the earth's magnetotail. A magnetotail is caused when the highly-charged particles of the solar wind zoom past the earth and mix with earth's magnetic field, creating a long tail that extends into the moon's orbit. "The moon is actually sitting in a sea of charged particles," Dr. Stubbs says.

Each month, the moon enters the magnetotail for six days. As it crosses inside the magnetotail, the moon's surface becomes highly charged. If astronauts walked across the charged surface, they might feel a static shock -- just like walking across a carpet and then touching a door knob. It's not a deadly shock, but a powerful zap! It's easy to know when the moon is passing through the earth's magnetotail -- just look for a full moon.

Among other things stated in the article...

Gosh, the moon gets a charge. Who'd have thought it? :roll:
Could there possibly be dis-charges at some point? :?:

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin

I can't imagine there not being a discharge between different regions of the moon. And almost certainly, dz-logically speaking, between the moon and the tail region of the earth during those days of passage. d..z

http://www.dahlendesigns.com
Last edited by dahlenaz on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:01 am

substance wrote:Sorry for my dumb question, but what exactly is a ionizer? I mean, I know what the word means, but what do you use such a thing for in your daily life? How does it look like?
It looks like no one answered your Question. It is used to remove dust and other particles from the air. You can see one at http://www.sportsmansguide.com or the Orek (manufacturer) web site. You can make one with just a few simple gadgets. I'm going to try and make one out of refridgerator heat sinks by interlacing them and charging them differently.
These are also made in mega scale for cleaning air coming out of smoke stacks. That would be an interesting industry to investigate for large scale discharge patterns. Just as a scale reference, these handle 200,000 cubic feet of gas per minute, compared to the home versions which move the air, of a room 25'x25' sq., through the device once an hour. These are also called precipitators.
An interesting book to read is Electrostatics by A.D Moore. Mgm mentioned it to me and it has really opened up to me the history of electricity. d...z

http://www.dahlendesigns.com

dahlenaz

New Ionizer, Crater formation videos

Unread post by dahlenaz » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:25 pm

With a new ionizer in hand I've begun to do experiments, far safer than could have been done with the Van deGraff that i've been eying, to answer some haunting suspicions about the formation of craters. The suspicion was that the mechanism of the discharge needed to be regarded and viewed through a broader lens of physical effects involved. This was suggested numerous times as I saw such consistent patterns associated with accumulation of material around the perimeter of craters, during the crt experiments, which was not prone to disturbance with subsequent discharges. I could not dismiss those weak strikes as not being informative for any discharge at higher levels of arc-mode. My suspicion was that material was being bound together, especially around the edges, with the first blast of energy, or there abouts and that the effects of subsequent discharges would be seen in untouched material, in the case of lateral movement but not in the material affected by the first strike until the focal point of the arc went to work on it in a different aspect of displacement or alteration. With a stationary discharge i was somewhat expecting little disturbance of the bound material until the discharge had made numerous blasts within the initial strikes perimeter. You can see in these videos the one-time alteration of the appearance of surrounding material and with repeated arcs the material does not change until it is removed by later discharges. Material was transferred to the probe as was seen in crt experiments and material was also concentrated at the perimeter as was very clear from crt experiments.
On the subject of crater chains there are similar effects seen but the increased intensity causes the lose of informative characteristics to the patterns. d...z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP6jd0oIVfA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMR3otjy2rM

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:21 am

Results from an experiment involving a plate capacitor setup are shown in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXrA0vCUD14

Run 2

This image is from the preparation of the second run which involved an attempt at a vacuum environment.
An html page of images and explanation is being assembled at:

http://www.para-az.com/cap-plate.html

actual video, rather than a slideshow is in the can. d...z

querious

Unread post by querious » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:45 pm

At the bottom of this page
http://ecommons.library.cornell.edu/handle/1813/164
is a link to a .pdf report which contains some really interesting photos of the effects on electrodes of high-voltage discharge across a vacuum gap. For instance, the star pattern and crater chains on pg. 14 look just like some planetary "crater" features.

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:32 am

querious wrote:At the bottom of this page
http://ecommons.library.cornell.edu/handle/1813/164
is a link to a .pdf report which contains some really interesting photos of the effects on electrodes of high-voltage discharge across a vacuum gap. For instance, the star pattern and crater chains on pg. 14 look just like some planetary "crater" features.

Thanks a bunch for that. As soon as my connection stops acting like frozen mud I'll take a look even closer. d...z

dahlenaz

New crater formation videos

Unread post by dahlenaz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:06 am

Here is the latest video that is not just a slideshow. You'll see crater formation in a light vacuum.
This is from the cap-plate setup, if i can call it so. d...z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_n3uT-eu1U

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:02 am

Seeing arcs on video was the objective of this video and there may be some extra information
gained in the process. As each arc adds its effect on the material there are occasions to see how
hexagonal features might come about. I also saw some clues to adjoining crater formation.

The positive plate surface area was doubled and the arcs to the negative plate seemed more intense
and had a greater laterally reaching characteristic than the previous setup.

I still prefer the results, from CRT experiments, at producing more detailed uniform features, and this
is done without a visible arc. Very curious! There is also diversity of features (spider deposits) in the CRT surface material
that has not been seen yet in these other setups. Can someone explain why? d...z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9gYE1oyA30

http://www.electric-spark-scars.com