Pluto, Dwarf Planets, and Kuiper Belt objects

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Lloyd

Re: ˚Pluto Watch

Unread post by Lloyd » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:40 pm

From Kiwi's post: More work is needed to determine whether Sedna and the other scattered disc objects were sent on their circuitous trips round the sun by a star that passed by long ago, or by an unseen planet that exists in the solar system right now. Finding and observing the orbits of other distant objects similar to Sedna will add more data points to astronomers' computer models. "We, and a couple of other groups of astronomers, are working hard to see if we can track some down and figure out this mystery," Brown said.
That's the kind of evidence Cardona was talking about and the star was his brown dwarf, Saturn. And Earth was there too. So were our ancestors, probably.

paladin17

Unread post by paladin17 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:33 pm

Metryq wrote:Fans of Pluto reacted very emotionally when the body was "downgraded" from planet status. They'll be leaping off cliffs if it is further "demoted" to mere comet. Could that "atmosphere" be a coma?
This is one of the coolest ideas I've ever heard. I've already downloaded more than 100 articles on Pluto to do a little investiation on this topic.

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:42 am

Pluto's Atmosphere: Big, Poisonous and Comet-like
http://news.discovery.com/space/astrono ... 110420.htm

Metryq

Unread post by Metryq » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:27 pm

viscount aero wrote:Pluto's Atmosphere: Big, Poisonous and Comet-like
http://news.discovery.com/space/astrono ... 110420.htm
Nice find. Now I'm really itching to see what New Horizons discovers when it flies past.

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:34 pm

~
New Horizons
An American probe that will explore Pluto Pluto woke up from its slumber Saturday, Jan 24, 2015
During its mission, New Horizons will collect data on Pluto's topography and its largest moon Charon, giving astronomers an up-close look at the dim surfaces that are difficult to see from Earth.

The craft carries onboard seven instruments including infrared and ultraviolet spectrometers, a multicolor camera, a high-resolution telescopic camera and a space dust detector.

All of the instruments aboard New Horizons draw power from a radioisotope thermoelectric generator, which provides less power than a pair of 100-watt light bulbs, scientists said.

http://phys.org/news/2014-12-nasa-craft ... r.html#jCp

Marlheim

Are Pluto and it's moons electrically unstable right now?

Unread post by Marlheim » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:07 pm

Pluto and it's moons are showing orbits that are quite different than the Standard Model accounts for. Could it be an electrical phenomena?

http://news.yahoo.com/solar-systems-wei ... 34177.html

Cubit32

Re: Are Pluto and it's moons electrically unstable right now

Unread post by Cubit32 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:50 pm

are there some more detailed descriptions of the peculiarities considering Pluto and its moons?

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:41 am

This is old Hubble data. I do not think they know what the actual motions are, better wait for New Horizons.

I would think that for such a small system, what would keep the bodies from clumping together? It must be repulsion that rules this system and because of the odd shapes of the bodies involved the orbits are also 'peculiar'.

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

Melusine

Unread post by Melusine » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:44 am

Cubit32 wrote:are there some more detailed descriptions of the peculiarities considering Pluto and its moons?
This is being stirred up in the press today because of this June 4 article in Nature by Mark R. Showalter of the SETI Institute in Mountain View, Calif., and Douglas P. Hamilton of the University of Maryland.

D_Archer

Charon

Unread post by D_Archer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:11 am

Charon’s Surprising, Youthful and Varied Terrain:
https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/char ... d-terrain/
---

I dont know about youthful that would be just an assumption of mainstream impact theory.

I see a rocky world, with a few craters and large escarpments.

There looks to be a big feature to the right, looks like a big extrusion.

Also cool is that it is not very round at all, you can see knicks and corners etc.

What is that winged feature in the middle?

Regards,
Daniel
Attachments
Charon
Charon
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

gocrew

Re: Charon

Unread post by gocrew » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:00 am

It also looks like the southern hemisphere has been dug down a few kilometers, Mars-style.

FS3

Mountain in a Moat

Unread post by FS3 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:03 am

D_Archer wrote:Charon’s Surprising, Youthful and Varied Terrain:
https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/char ... d-terrain/
---

I dont know about youthful that would be just an assumption of mainstream impact theory.

I see a rocky world, with a few craters and large escarpments.

There looks to be a big feature to the right, looks like a big extrusion.

Also cool is that it is not very round at all, you can see knicks and corners etc.

What is that winged feature in the middle?

Regards,
Daniel
Very few craters as well, and - latest news - a "Mountain in a Moat" - a huge mountain inside a "pit", that's actually huge, as we can see from that latest detail from 79,000 kms distance:

See as well the "canyon" (upper right, almost on the fringe) which should be in similar depths as the Valles Marineris on Mars. Which comes to my mind if we look at your pic: similar structure -- with two long strains, finally focussing in the central crater of your "winged feature"...

FS3

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:15 am

Why Pluto's Big Moon Charon Has a Red Polar Cap:
http://www.space.com/30503-pluto-moon-c ... patch.html
Pluto's atmosphere, which is composed mainly of nitrogen but also harbors some methane and carbon monoxide, is extremely wispy and extends far out into space. Over the eons, some of this air has escaped and been trapped by Charon's gravity at the moon's north pole
"(color added by me)

(The reddish polar patch on Pluto’s moon Charon is visible in this image, which was taken by NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft on July 13, 2015, from a distance of 289,000 miles (466,000 kilometers).
Credit: NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Southwest Research Institute
)
===

Would it not be more likely that the interaction/depostion to the North pole of Charon would be because of charge interactions?

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:30 pm

D_Archer wrote:I dont know about youthful that would be just an assumption of mainstream impact theory.
Hey, just wanted to add the perspective that "youthful" here may derive from the context of the phrase "geologically youthful" which mainly denotes that other surface altering processes have not been active since the formation of the features being observed. On Earth that of course implies that not much [geologic] time has past, but on surfaces (eg. Charon) not being affected by weathering and erosion or tectonics, etc., the time factor is not necessarily in play. Also, apparently Charon's interaction with other KBOs is less than that of asteroids etc observed in Saturn/Jupiter regions and the inner solar system.

From the "time" perspective, Charon may very well be youthful, seen from the perspective of catastrophic planetary interactions that have been visited in the EU paradigm, and discussed on other Thunderbolt threads.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

madkevo

Charon pictures, reminds me of Mars!

Unread post by madkevo » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:29 am

Is it just me or does Charon bear a striking resemblance to our EU friend the planet Mars?
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/pluto-s-bi ... nt-history
One (northern in this case) old looking scarred mountainous hemisphere and a fresh new lower & flatter one with just traditional (impact?) craters dotted here & there and some channels that must be really hard to explain in the far reaches of the solar system.
edit: And how could I neglect to mention the beautifully (Mars) coloured polygonal huge feature at the north pole, my bad.