Hinode's Solar Images vs. Birkeland's Terella?

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

MGmirkin

Hinode's Solar Images vs. Birkeland's Terella?

Unread post by MGmirkin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:20 pm

Well, I've given up on my search for the multi-spectral image of the sun I was looking for a while back. Just can't find it anymore, which is a shame, 'cause it was awesome, as I recall.

So, I'll settle for the next best thing. A recent image from Hinode that show the same thing I recall seeing in the multi-spectral:

(Hinode's image )
Soft X-ray image in the titanium-polyimide ("Ti_poly") filter from the Hinode X-Ray Telescope (XRT) obtained at: [2008/06/05 18:02 UT]
Obtained from: http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/images/latest.html

corresponds rather well to the halo seen in certain configurations of Birkeland's terella experiments, below:

(Birkeland's terella, Fig. 260 a-c; pay particular attention to 260a)
http://www.plasma-universe.com/index.ph ... nd_Nebulae

One is also tempted to point to the "pencil jets" from the poles of the sun, reminiscent of Birkeland's description of "pencil" cathode rays issuing from the terella and theorized to also issue from the sun. They seem to give good correspondence to the filaments poking out around the poles of the terella experiment as well...

So, can we learn anything from this? Has Birkeland proven to be prescient, once again?

Likewise, if anyone has or knows of the original multi-spectral / composite image that shows the streamers around the coronal holes, feel free to post a link to it. And, no, it's NOT this one (though it's cool too!)...

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

rduke

Re: Hinode's Solar Images vs. Birkeland's Terella?

Unread post by rduke » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:55 pm

I think I recall the image you are talking about... if it is red, green, blue, etc.. very impressive image, one of my favorites... I may even have it in my cd collection over the years.

Let me know if it is and I shall make a search.

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:38 pm

rduke wrote:I think I recall the image you are talking about... if it is red, green, blue, etc.. very impressive image, one of my favorites... I may even have it in my cd collection over the years.

Let me know if it is and I shall make a search.
Yeah, it was a composite image of the sun. Very colorful and kinda' pretty. I THINK it showed the full disk, with both coronal holes at the poles. But it may have only been a half disk or less (it's been a while). I recall that it quite well showed the filamentary jets ringing the coronal hole(s), and clearly showed the hole(s) themselves. Quite a good match to Birkeland's terella pic, in my opinion, as I recall...

Sadly there's so many satellites these days I'm not sure which it came from, or whether I can even name them all: SOHO, STEREO, RHESSI, TRACE, Yohkoh, Hinode, Ulysses, etc.
I'm pretty sure it was a composite from one or another of those. :?:

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke

rduke

Unread post by rduke » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:00 pm

Behold?

:D

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:22 pm

Hey, that's pretty good. Not sure if it's the exact one I recall (I seem to recall the plumes around the coronal holes being a bit better defined & more prominent somehow). But it's been a while since I saw it. I might just be romanticizing it in my brain, who knows. But for some reason, I feel like I'll remember it when I see it. If it crops up again.

But, a good find nonetheless. Any idea from whence it came? Instrument, gallery, etc? Looks a bit SOHO / STEREO / Hinode-ish?

Always nice to trace things back to original docs. :D

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin

tickleme

Unread post by tickleme » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:09 am

Don't know if this is it but here is a link

http://solar-center.stanford.edu/images/trace.425.jpg

Would post the image inline if I knew how.

Thanks.

FS3

fusion

Unread post by FS3 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:11 am

hi folks,

regarding that everlasting NUCLEAR FUSION - problem...

As I remember it needs a certain power density for nuclear fission to happen. Are there any relyable data/comparisons on energy density measured in:

- The corona
- The Photosphere

...of our Sun?

I can imagine that it should be relatively difficult for getting any data eg doublelayer in the Chronosphere/Corona as it wouldn´t show any results from the outside and you have to go to the actual location with a Langmuire-probe. So, do you know any method for concluding energy density from the strengths of the magneticfields?

And how large it might be?

Thx in advance for your clues.
FS3

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:43 pm

tickleme wrote:Don't know if this is it but here is a link

http://solar-center.stanford.edu/images/trace.425.jpg

Would post the image inline if I knew how.

Thanks.
Pretty cool & just plain pretty coronal loops... :)

~Michael