What is electricity?

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

mjv1121

Re: What is electricity?

Unread post by mjv1121 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Jarvamundo,
"electricity" "flows" in the "insulator"..... heresy!!
So, for a single wire, with no insulator, just air, the velocity of propagation will be the same as the velocity of light through air, and the material the wire (conductor) is made of will have no affect on the VOP. Is this correct?

Michael

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:49 pm

jarva-,
-the conductor has very little to do with the "speed".
If you will look at the chart, there is a relationship as to size of conductor. AWG 19 is a bit faster than AWG 26. Also, the largish 7/8" and 1 5/8" coax comes in at 99, while 4 1/2" flexwall is best in it's group at 97.

without the conductor, there would be no "speed", so it has a great deal to do with the "speed".
The VOP number of a cable is determined by the dielectric material that separates the two conductors
why the vop is so dielectric dependent, i don't know.

mjv,
So, for a single wire, with no insulator, just air, the velocity of propagation will be the same as the velocity of light through air, and the material the wire (conductor) is made of will have no affect on the VOP. Is this correct?
no....there is a chart, and the highest vop is a 99, using a large conductor.
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Jarvamundo

Unread post by Jarvamundo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:23 pm

mjv1121 wrote:Jarvamundo,

Michael
Like a microwaveguide ;)

Turns out a sign of this waveguide finds it's place on high speed digital circuits with tiny thin wires. See "The Catt Anomaly", i believe an NPA talk is around the corner ;) "charge appears out of no where"
sparky wrote:If you will look at the chart, there is a relationship as to size of conductor. AWG 19 is a bit faster than AWG 26. Also, the largish 7/8" and 1 5/8" coax comes in at 99, while 4 1/2" flexwall is best in it's group at 97.
These wires are not solid conductors.

The bigger the wire the more surface area is available to the dielectric-metallic union. It is found that surface area, not volume is the key factor. (big difference).... and why you'll find thin stranded conductors, or "planes" such as in coax, or horns.

So hows about that glass beaker, where be the trons.

starbiter

Unread post by starbiter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:53 am

I wasn't sure which thread to post this on, but this seems as good as any.

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/arch ... /24/95A66/

[...]
Central to the process is a technique developed in MacMillan's lab and reported in Science in 2008 to synthesize chemical reactions using a low-power light source, such as a household light bulb. Known as photoredox catalysis, the reaction takes place when inorganic catalysts absorb light particles from the light source then pass an electron onto the organic molecules, which creates, or synthesizes, a new compound.

me again,
The whole article is interesting. That light is required for a reaction seems like a clue.

michael
I Ching #49 The Image
Fire in the lake: the image of REVOLUTION
Thus the superior man
Sets the calender in order
And makes the seasons clear

www.EU-geology.com

http://www.michaelsteinbacher.com

nubian

Unread post by nubian » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:19 am

Electricity is motion. Its the effect of tension, resistance and strain, acting simultaneously in a polarized manner.

I don't know if i have defined it, or caused more confusion.

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:28 am

Jarvamundo wrote:
mjv1121 wrote:Jarvamundo,

Michael
Like a microwaveguide ;)

Turns out a sign of this waveguide finds it's place on high speed digital circuits with tiny thin wires. See "The Catt Anomaly", i believe an NPA talk is around the corner ;) "charge appears out of no where"
sparky wrote:If you will look at the chart, there is a relationship as to size of conductor. AWG 19 is a bit faster than AWG 26. Also, the largish 7/8" and 1 5/8" coax comes in at 99, while 4 1/2" flexwall is best in it's group at 97.
These wires are not solid conductors.

The bigger the wire the more surface area is available to the dielectric-metallic union. It is found that surface area, not volume is the key factor. (big difference).... and why you'll find thin stranded conductors, or "planes" such as in coax, or horns.

So hows about that glass beaker, where be the trons.
1st, i can't do vids....

some of the conductors are solid (AWG's), and RG 59.....am not familiar with the vast majority on the list. but surface area would explain the size relationship.

you bring up interesting and correct considerations.

though i've worked with and around waveguides and feedhorns, i just accepted what i was told they did, and had no understanding of what was happening, deeper than EM transmission and impedance matching.

i did not understand the references, "-a sign of this waveguide-", and, "-planes" such as in coax, or horns.-"..

can you explain why less conductive metals require larger conductive areas? i always thought it was due to internal resistance of each metal....

found this explanation of awg and related considerations:
-the cable's characteristic impedance is tied to its inductance and capacitance, and wire gage affects both of these because the center conductor must be in proper proportion to the other physical dimensions of the cable. If we stick a 16 AWG conductor into the center of an RG-6 cable where an 18 AWG conductor belongs, we wind up with our characteristic impedance too low; if we stuck a 20 AWG conductor in that same spot, characteristic impedance would be too high. So, while there may be no strong consideration affecting the specific choice of wire gage in most applications, it is nonetheless important that all of the cable's internal dimensions be in the right proportions to one another, and that includes the gage of the center conductor.-----the really important attribute of a cable is its characteristic impedance. Here, we're not dealing with coaxial cable, but with twisted pairs, where characteristic impedance is much harder to control and is liable to change significantly from one inch to the next.----The frequencies in use here do an interesting thing to the significance of wire gage, which requires a bit of three-dimensional thinking to understand. In a 1.485 Gbps bitstream, our fundamental frequency is normally considered to be about half that bitrate, or 742.5 MHz, and because we're trying to convey some harmonics of that fundamental frequency to keep our bit edges from rounding off too much to be recognized by the receiving circuit, the bandwidth required to handle that is about three times that frequency, or 2.2275 GHz. Remember "skin effect"? Well, whether we're talking about 742 MHz or 2.2 GHz, skin effect at these frequencies is extreme. There is essentially no signal flowing through the middle of an HDMI cable conductor--it is all skimming the surface. What that means to wire gage is that an increase in size is no longer as significant as it would be at lower frequencies, because the increase in wire surface area is proportional to diameter rather than to the square of diameter. Let's consider, say, the difference between a 24 and a 22 AWG cable. If we were buying 24 or 22 AWG wire for DC power, and wanted to know how much loss we'd see in a run, we'd be interested primarily in the cross-sectional area. A 24 AWG wire has a circular mil area of 404; a 22 AWG wire has a circular mil area of 640.4. Since DC resistance is inversely proportional to this area, this makes a big difference--the resistance of the 22 AWG wire is a bit less than 2/3 the resistance of the 24, for any given distance.

But if we're looking at skin effect, the picture changes. The cross-sectional area is practically irrelevant because the "skin depth" is next to nothing. Instead of cross-sectional area, loss to resistance is going to be inversely proportional to the amount of copper through which the signal actually passes--that is, it's going to be inversely proportional to the cable's surface area--or, speaking in cross-sectional terms, its perimeter. A 24 AWG wire has a diameter of .0201 inch, and a 22 AWG wire has a diameter of .0253 inch. Since the perimeters are simply these numbers each multiplied by pi, we can see the ratio of perimeters without doing that multiplication. The 22 AWG is "bigger" than the 24 by .0253/.0201, or a factor of 1.259. When we were concerned with area of the cross-section rather than perimeter, the ratio of circular mils was much steeper: 640.4/404, making the 22 AWG "bigger" by a factor of 1.585. Instead of the use of 22 AWG dropping resistance to about 63% of the 24 AWG wire's resistance, as happens at DC, it drops resistance only to about 80% of the 24 AWG's value.

Now, any reduction in resistance is good; the point here is simply to show that it isn't as good as one might expect. If all else were equal, one would expect 22 AWG HDMI cable to be useful for a distance of about 20% longer than a similar 24 AWG cable (this almost certainly overstates the advantage, because, of course, all else isn't equal. The longer run will show greater performance losses from other factors, including capacitance, crosstalk, skew and return loss).
What that means to wire gage is that an increase in size is no longer as significant as it would be at lower frequencies, because the increase in wire surface area is proportional to diameter rather than to the square of diameter. Let's consider, say, the difference between a 24 and a 22 AWG cable. If we were buying 24 or 22 AWG wire for DC power, and wanted to know how much loss we'd see in a run, we'd be interested primarily in the cross-sectional area. A 24 AWG wire has a circular mil area of 404; a 22 AWG wire has a circular mil area of 640.4. Since DC resistance is inversely proportional to this area, this makes a big difference--the resistance of the 22 AWG wire is a bit less than 2/3 the resistance of the 24, for any given distance.

But if we're looking at skin effect, the picture changes. The cross-sectional area is practically irrelevant because the "skin depth" is next to nothing. Instead of cross-sectional area, loss to resistance is going to be inversely proportional to the amount of copper through which the signal actually passes--that is, it's going to be inversely proportional to the cable's surface area--or, speaking in cross-sectional terms, its perimeter. A 24 AWG wire has a diameter of .0201 inch, and a 22 AWG wire has a diameter of .0253 inch. Since the perimeters are simply these numbers each multiplied by pi, we can see the ratio of perimeters without doing that multiplication. The 22 AWG is "bigger" than the 24 by .0253/.0201, or a factor of 1.259. When we were concerned with area of the cross-section rather than perimeter, the ratio of circular mils was much steeper: 640.4/404, making the 22 AWG "bigger" by a factor of 1.585. Instead of the use of 22 AWG dropping resistance to about 63% of the 24 AWG wire's resistance, as happens at DC, it drops resistance only to about 80% of the 24 AWG's value.

Now, any reduction in resistance is good; the point here is simply to show that it isn't as good as one might expect. If all else were equal, one would expect 22 AWG HDMI cable to be useful for a distance of about 20% longer than a similar 24 AWG cable (this almost certainly overstates the advantage, because, of course, all else isn't equal. The longer run will show greater performance losses from other factors, including capacitance, crosstalk, skew and return loss).

The cable quality factors that really matter in HDMI cable are, primarily, impedance control on the TMDS pairs (which do the heavy lifting in the HDMI cable), and skew, which is a measure of the difference in electrical length of the conductors and pairs (by "electrical length," we mean the length of the wire, as measured by the time it takes a pulse to travel down the line; this may vary from physical length for a number of reasons, most but not all of which are related to impedance control). These parameters are notoriously difficult to control, and have nothing in particular to do with wire gage except insofar as it is sometimes easier to control tolerances in larger than in smaller cable. So, wire gage means something in HDMI cable; but it is not ordinarily the primary factor in measuring cable quality. A cable with superior return loss and skew can easily outperform a larger cable in a distance run.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Oracle_911

Unread post by Oracle_911 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:55 am

Jarvamundo wrote:
Goldminer wrote:Here is your answer to the speed of signals in conducting cables: Introduction to Time Domain Reflectometry
...And to our horror, it is found the velocity factor is in relation to the surrounding dielectric... and the conductor has very little to do with the "speed".
The VOP number of a cable is determined by the dielectric material that separates the two conductors

as it does in your TV coax, and as it does here....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... sdUg#t=56s

No electrons to be found? and the MIT student doesn't get "shocked" when picking up the charged beaker? Lazy electrons ;)
You are my man. You proved the existence of aether which is chiralic in nature, electromagnetic nature of gravitation and wave nature of light.
mjv1121 wrote:What is charge?
Broken balance of aether which is trapped in matter.
What is current?
The phenomenon which shows you how fast is that imbalance settled.
What is voltage?
The unit which shows you how big is the imbalance compared to its surroundings /benchmark system(?).
What is an electric field?
The field where is the balance between counterparts broken.
What is a magnetic field?
A phenomenon which is created by a moving imbalance in aether (if is it a charge carrier or a standing wave is in this case irrelevant).
What is electricity?
Collective name for several phenomena.
What is electron?
Collective name for at least 2 different phenomena.
Asymmetrical EM wave in aether (light is symmetrical wave)-it can be found in vacuum tube.
Or negative charge carrier in plasma.
Positron has similar properties but it has opposite sign as electron. That is the reason, why they "annihilate" each other.

I hope my answers were sufficient.
Standpoint of "scientists": If reality doesn`t match with my theory, than reality has a problem.

Sorry for bad English and aggressive tone, i`m not native speaker.

PS: I`m a chemist.

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:50 pm

What is charge?

Oracle:

What is current?

This i can understand....and better explains the chiralic theory.

so, you are saying it is entropy? aether attempting to equalize and maintain a consistent aether pressure.?

Jarvamundo

Unread post by Jarvamundo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:09 pm

can you explain why less conductive metals require larger conductive areas? i always thought it was due to internal resistance of each metal....
Sparky, check out any good quality coax, you'll generally find a metallic COATED with a high quality reflector (conductor).

Usually this is silver-coated metallic, with a teflon dielectric (insulator).

It is not required to have a full-solid conductor of high quality to 'guide' the EM wave. Higher frequency waves only manage to penetrate the surface of the conductor a few fractions of a mm. This effect is called "the skin effect".

All of this stuff traces back to the telegraph signalling work of Oliver Heaviside (the self taught mathamatician & telegraph engineer who developed the vector form of Maxwells equations). He is really the man to read on this... all the terms we use today 'resistance, inductance, permittivity, reactance, etc' are all his.

As linked to before see his paper "On Electro Magnetic Induction and It's Propagation - Section II - Current Down a Wire".

Sefton on Poynting also covers this.

But youll need to read.

Oracle_911

Unread post by Oracle_911 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Sparky wrote:
What is charge?

Oracle:

What is current?

This i can understand....and better explains the chiralic theory.

so, you are saying it is entropy? aether attempting to equalize and maintain a consistent aether pressure.?
I would be more precise, aether attempting maintain LOCAL pressure, because we don't know the "pressure" for entire universe.
Another thing is, we don't know how big is the influence of charged environment (Earth, Solar system) on aether pressure.
Standpoint of "scientists": If reality doesn`t match with my theory, than reality has a problem.

Sorry for bad English and aggressive tone, i`m not native speaker.

PS: I`m a chemist.

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:26 pm

Sparky wrote:
why the vop is so dielectric dependent, i don't know.
What are normally and customarily referred to as “conductors” are actually ‘Reflectors’, these are the “waveguides.” What are normally and customarily referred to as “insulators” (the dielectric) are the actual “conductors” and have the ability to ‘store’ electric energy within their physical form such as with the “capacitor.” Thus:

“We reverse this; the current in the wire is set up by the energy transmitted through the medium around it.” --Oliver Heaviside, 1850-1925

MIT Physics Demo -- Dissectible Capacitor

Like Heaviside, reverse the accustomed relationship of "conductor" and "insulator."
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:55 pm

Excellent short video! Voltage is potential... it is a field property not apparently dependent on stuff [currently] moving, and requires only a "resonant" detector.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

mjv1121

Unread post by mjv1121 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:57 am

Solar,
What are normally and customarily referred to as “conductors” are actually ‘Reflectors’, these are the “waveguides.” What are normally and customarily referred to as “insulators” (the dielectric) are the actual “conductors” and have the ability to ‘store’ electric energy within their physical form such as with the “capacitor.” Thus:

“We reverse this; the current in the wire is set up by the energy transmitted through the medium around it.” --Oliver Heaviside, 1850-1925
I have checked and 2+2 does not equal 5, nor does equal 3, nor does equal 3.5 or 4.5

The "observation" is basically correct, but the conclusion is nonsense. That crap about "reflectors" and "waveguides" is particularly misleading. By that logic a conductor would not work in a vacuum, although perhaps we should consider the permeability and permittivity of vacuum.

The free electrons in the conductor are emitting the E and B fields, whose detectable influence extends beyond the physical boundaries of the conductor. The E and B fields start in the conductor and extend away reducing with the square of the distance: 1/r^2.

Multi-conductor signalling cables have distracted us somewhat. It would be probably be better to simply consider a single conductor DC circuit presumed to be in a vacuum.
the current in the wire is set up by the energy transmitted through the medium around it.
Close, but no cigar. Yes the field is detectable outside the wire, but the field (the exact same field) is also inside the wire. Inside the wire is where the free electron interactions are taking place as evidenced by the fact that there are detectable E and B fields at all. Inside the wire is also where the fields are strongest. Since we know that electrons emit charge constantly, the fact that initiation of a "current" produces fields hints heavily towards the electrons being aligned to coherently emit charge as the detected fields. Since the emission of charge so obviously affects electron orientation it is hardly surprising that the affect is passed from electron to electron all the way down the wire - like tumbling dominoes. The battery plays the part of priming the circuit - pushing the first domino. When the circuit is broken the electron immediately return to randomness and the coherency that produces the fields collapses.

The path of comical mis-logic is childishly evident. The fields outside of the wire are detectable and mappable - you might say that we can "see" the fields outside the wire. The internals of the wire however remain a mystery of theoretical speculation. And on dear what happens when the more pathetic humans put conductors close together separated by an insulator - the insulator affects the propagation of the fields - quick let's add 2 and 2 and get 5. Also, I wonder whether Mr Heaviside properly considered the role of free electrons in the conductor at all.

Michael

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:58 am

Solar, "What are normally and customarily referred to as “conductors” are actually ‘Reflectors’, these are the “waveguides.”

Well, this thread has taken a turn for the worse. There was no understanding of low voltage dc in a wire, and now we are expected to take that to an understanding of high frequency wave guide theory??!!..HF in a wave guide is a different animal! It is E/M, whatever that is?!

Solar, a dc circuit has conductors which actually do conduct.
A hf circuit may have conductors, where conduction is mainly on the skin of the conductor. Or, in the case of a wave guide, as RF E/M down the waveguide. I think waveguides are used to partially prevent a double impedance match, from one medium to the other.
Example: If the output circuit is a cavity amplifier, the transmission line to the antenna and free space can be impedance matched with a waveguide and feedhorn. Waveguides are probably more efficient at doing this, especially at higher powers.

If the output amplifier is a solid state device or vacuum tube, then the line to the next element must be impedance matched to it and to the next element.
“insulators” (the dielectric) are the actual “conductors” and have the ability to ‘store’ electric energy within their physical form such as with the “capacitor.
Well, even though that sounds like nonsense, i am willing to consider recent experiments indicating that.

I still can not see videos.

@jarva-...
sparky, can you explain why less conductive metals require larger conductive areas? i always thought it was due to internal resistance of each metal....
jarva-,
"Sparky, check out any good quality coax, you'll generally find a metallic COATED with a high quality reflector (conductor).

Usually this is silver-coated metallic, with a teflon dielectric (insulator).

It is not required to have a full-solid conductor of high quality to 'guide' the EM wave. Higher frequency waves only manage to penetrate the surface of the conductor a few fractions of a mm. This effect is called "the skin effect".
well, you sidestepped my question...but seem to think the above quote is a correct perspective.

Your description of a coax is not a very good one. It seems you are confusing the "shield"/ground with the center conductor, which in the case of RG59, is a solid wire. I think you really know better.

A coax has a center conductor, surrounded by an insulator/dielectric, which is surrounded/shielded by a grounded conductor. These may act more like waveguides at the frequencies they are used for.

Skin effect and other hf phenomenon are causing the confusion. Use of "reflector" and "dielectric", as a conductor, and bringing in poynting also introduces irrelevants. ...

general:

I would prefer to stay with a single wire battery circuit.

If you can't explain that, then your understanding of hf circuits comes under question, regardless of the mystical terms and concepts employed in argument.

It amazes me the number of people willing to set aside credulity when looking at photo's and videos. People, you don't know what you are looking at. Same with text. So, someone believed in "atoms" or "eather" hundreds or thousands of years ago. People, We don't know what they thought.

Why speculate when we have modern experiment setups that need to be examined. And data that needs to be looked at with unbiased eyes. And conclusions that should be reconsidered, from a broader perspective.

P=IE !

Is rf E/M, in a waveguide, equal to dc electric current in a low voltage circuit?

mjv1121

Unread post by mjv1121 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:58 am

Sparky,
Is rf E/M, in a waveguide, equal to dc electric current in a low voltage circuit?
Yes.

Michael