What is electricity?

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Forrest Bishop

Re: What is electricity?

Unread post by Forrest Bishop » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:59 pm

Sparky sez
Thanks for the great post....the plain language, explaining these complicated concepts sure helps. I am slowly "getting it", but dragging N theory, since it is so comfortable, is some of the problem.....Thanks for the link, too...i'll make a special effort to see your video files...
Your welcome! It's fine to be fluent in both languages, conventional Theory N(ormal) and in Theories C(att). That way we can cross check and reality check.
What force propels the waves?
The same as what propels light, radio, etc. waves. Notice we don't delve into grand Aether Theories of Every Last Little Thing- we're still sorting out how electric motors and galvanometers work, picking up the ball that got dropped in the 19th Century.

Jarva wrote
where Heaviside acknowledges the mathematical entity that is current. and charge?
The inimitable Heaviside asked "By the way, is there such a thing as electric current?" (1892 iirc) but didn't keep at it. He certainly did develop the 'ultramaxwellian' view that the power traveled in the dielectric, not the wire. He did so much and went so far that to quote him here and there is tricky- he changed his mind about various things. He all but worshiped Maxwell and may not have cared to discard displacement current for that reason. Agreed on most everything in your post and the following one that I'm familiar with. Minor point- we could say the incident TEM wave is destroyed and the reflected wave is created at the reflection (extinction principle). Then it is two separate waves.

Webo-
This has been an excellent shift in the labyrinthian paradigm scramble of this thread.
I'd like to hear more from Forrest about the concept of action at a distance [AAAD] as it relates to the Catt electric field in a transmission line. I'm presuming a "vertical" orientation of the TEM field action, but may be missing something here. Also, it appears to me that the electric energy current flows in both directions simultaneously along the transmission line, indicating AAAD with regard to both "ends" of the line, resulting in what seems to be referred to as a standing wave. After getting further clarity about this, I have a follow-up question that I will ask.
We don't presume action at a distance. Everything moves at c. However, a curious fact- the TEM wave all by itself cannot exert a transverse force. Its 'electric-direction' force is exactly opposite to its 'magnetic-direction' force on a wire- the two forces cancel. Only when two counter-propagating TEM waves overlap does a transverse force appear on the wires (this would be the force that defines the Ampere). That appearance is sudden, AS IF it were instantaneous action at a distance. It isn't, because the actors were already present.

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:54 pm

Forrest,
I'm not clear yet. The "actors already present piece" is what I'm trying to sort out. Please try to clarify if you can my question about the TEM moving in both directions along the wire at the same time, ie. from ground [eg. that steel post outside my house] to fixture and source [eg. that hydroelectric dam 80 miles away] to fixture simultaneously? Since you don't presume an aether either, how does your force take effect, if not across a space instantly? I can imagine the earth [at least that portion of it between my home and the HE dam] as a battery, that end being the [-] and my end being the [+]... again, what am I missing?
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

Chromium6

Unread post by Chromium6 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:56 pm

This may be of related interest:

http://milesmathis.com/pi2.html

The Extinction of π

by Miles Mathis
It is Newton and Leibniz and Cauchy and everyone since who has been doing the calculus wrong. I have earned the right to write this paper by first writing three important papers on the foundations of the calculus. The first shows that the derivative has been defined wrongly from the beginning, and that the derivative is a constant differential over a subinterval, not a diminishing differential as we approach zero. There is no necessary approach to zero in the calculus, and the interval of the derivative is a real interval. In any particular problem, you can find the time that passes during the derivative, so nothing in the calculus is instantaneous, either. This revolutionizes QED by forbidding the point particle and bypassing all need for renormalization. The second paper proves that Newton's first eight lemmae or assumptions in the Principia are all false. Newton monitors the wrong angle in his triangle as he goes to the limit, achieving faulty conclusions about his angles, and about the value of the tangent and arc at the limit. Finally, the third paper rigorously analyzes all the historical proofs of the orbital equation a=v2/r, including the proofs of Newton and Feynman, showing they all contain fundamental errors. The current equation is shown to be false, and the equation for the orbital velocity v=2πr/t is also shown to be false. Those who don't find enough rigor in this paper should read those three papers before they decide this is all too big a leap. I cannot rederive all my proofs in each paper, or restate all my arguments, so I am afraid more reading is due for those who really wish to be convinced. This paper cannot stand without the historical rewrite contained in those papers, and I would be the first to admit it.

In a previous paper, I have shown that π is really an acceleration. In that paper I showed that the corrected equation a = v2/2r is analogous to the equation C = 2πr or π = C/2r. This allowed me to discover many interesting things not commonly known. In this paper I will show that if we define π as the relationship between the diameter and the circumference, the correct value of π is 4.00. In other words, the current numerical value of π is nothing more than a mathematical error: it is the standard margin of error, caused by a fabulously false postulate.

More specifically, the π that I am correcting is the constant in the orbital equation v = 2πr/t.
On the Windhexe: ''An engineer could not have invented this,'' Winsness says. ''As an engineer, you don't try anything that's theoretically impossible.''

Forrest Bishop

Unread post by Forrest Bishop » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:58 pm

Webo asks
Forrest,
I'm not clear yet. The "actors already present piece" is what I'm trying to sort out. Please try to clarify if you can my question about the TEM moving in both directions along the wire at the same time, ie. from ground [eg. that steel post outside my house] to fixture and source [eg. that hydroelectric dam 80 miles away] to fixture simultaneously? Since you don't presume an aether either, how does your force take effect, if not across a space instantly? I can imagine the earth [at least that portion of it between my home and the HE dam] as a battery, that end being the [-] and my end being the [+]... again, what am I missing?
I didn't say I don't presume an Aether, only that I don't presume to know what that means. The [+] and [-] are on the two wires, not the ends of each individual wire. The electric field of the TEM wave spans the two wires (hot and neutral or ground) transversely. Their is a voltage between them, this is standard theory (for those who use that term however, see http://www.wbabin.net/Science-Journals/Essays/View/3815 )
The two actors being the two TEM waves or steps, depicted in my animations at http://www.forrestbishop.4t.com , one going away from the source, the other approaching it. The force takes place 'instantaneously' across the wires, transversely, not along the wires. This is a known force, it is how the Ampere is defined, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampere The part they're missing is that this force does not appear until the TEM waves overlap.
Consider if the two wires from Wiki and NIST are 80 miles long and separated by their one meter, with the sensitive force-measurement meter near the source. When a switch near the (1 Volt) source is closed, a TEM (Transverse ElectroMagnetic) wave moves out along the two wires at c, guided by the wires as a train is guide by the two rails of a railroad track. The TEM wave/step moves through the air, the wire insulation, and any other dielectric between and around the two wires: everywhere except inside the wires. It rumbles along at the leisurely pace of 186,000 miles per second or so, reaching the far end of the 80 mile length in about 0.00043 seconds. There, since you don't have anything turned on at your house, it reflects from the open without inversion and begins the 80-mile journey back toward the source. The original TEM step is still feeding in at the house, so these two step-waves are now overlapping, traveling right through each other in opposite directions. The NIST scientist back at the source is still waiting around to see a reading on his instrument so he can determine what an Amp is. The original TEM step didn't budge the dial. After a period of twice the travel time from source to (open, for simplicity here) load, or 0.00086 seconds, Dr. NIST finally gets his reading, as the reflected TEM wave has arrived at his station, traveling right through the outgoing wave.
Each of the two waves is now concealing each others magnetic field, so NIST thinks they're looking at two electrostatically charged lines. Well, that wasn't what they set out to measure so now Dr. has to turn the machine off and go out 80 miles to adjust the load there with a calibrated 1-ohm resistor. When he get back and runs it this time, the one-Volt (?) TEM wave reflects with inversion, since the load impedance is much lower than the line impedance (that's why they put the wires a meter apart). A transverse force is again generated by overlapping TEM step-waves, but this time it is the electric fields cancelling and the magnetic fields are doubled up. When this inverted step-wave reaches the NIST instrument, they read off "One Amp", perhpas to several digits of accuracy, from an instrument that is actually measuring magnetic force. Everybody goes home happy, confident they understand just how electricity works.

Forrest Bishop

Unread post by Forrest Bishop » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:17 pm

correction- I forgot something. There is a reading on the NIST magnetic-force meter ("ammeter" in their terminology) as soon as the wavefront from the initial, outgoing TEM step passes. This isn't due to the original TEM step itself, but as a result of the impedance mis-match caused by the presence of the meter coil (say). That mis-match causes a reflected wave at the meter coil, which then generates a small force on the moving coil. That magnetic force less-than-doubles when the return wave arrives, and continues to increase in a stepwise fashion until the meter reads One Amp. The process is similar to how a capacitor charges- http://www.ivorcatt.com/2635.htm Hope that's clear but I think an animation would be better than a word picture.

Forrest Bishop

Unread post by Forrest Bishop » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:24 pm

This may be of related interest:

The Extinction of π
Mathis has his own Aether Theory (who doesn't?), which has some merits, but I'm not so sure about how pi= 4 figures into electricity. His stuff on the calculus sure is interesting, and the rainbow too. He says a rainbow is an image of the Sun. I think he's right but that's off topic. His Aether theory presumes things like electric currents, static fields, and particles and that's where I check out.

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:42 pm

Forrest Bishop wrote:correction- I forgot something. There is a reading on the NIST magnetic-force meter ("ammeter" in their terminology) as soon as the wavefront from the initial, outgoing TEM step passes. This isn't due to the original TEM step itself, but as a result of the impedance mis-match caused by the presence of the meter coil (say). That mis-match causes a reflected wave at the meter coil, which then generates a small force on the moving coil. That magnetic force less-than-doubles when the return wave arrives, and continues to increase in a stepwise fashion until the meter reads One Amp. The process is similar to how a capacitor charges- http://www.ivorcatt.com/2635.htm Hope that's clear but I think an animation would be better than a word picture.
That is exactly what happens imho. I use any number of meters including TDR's regularly. Another thing I find interesting is that depending on the length of a conductor, and other conditions, a snapshot of the TDR trace can show an 'overage' extending slightly beyond the actual 'open' end of the transmission line. I think that this slight 'overage' is the original incident TEM Energy Current extending beyond the actual conductor length and 'folding over' on itself to head back as the reflection.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

Forrest Bishop

Unread post by Forrest Bishop » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:03 pm

Forrest Bishop wrote:correction- I forgot something. There is a reading on the NIST magnetic-force meter ("ammeter" in their terminology) as soon as the wavefront from the initial, outgoing TEM step passes. This isn't due to the original TEM step itself, but as a result of the impedance mis-match caused by the presence of the meter coil (say). That mis-match causes a reflected wave at the meter coil, which then generates a small force on the moving coil. That magnetic force less-than-doubles when the return wave arrives, and continues to increase in a stepwise fashion until the meter reads One Amp. The process is similar to how a capacitor charges- http://www.ivorcatt.com/2635.htm Hope that's clear but I think an animation would be better than a word picture.
That is exactly what happens imho. I use any number of meters including TDR's regularly. Another thing I find interesting is that depending on the length of a conductor, and other conditions, a snapshot of the TDR trace can show an 'overage' extending slightly beyond the actual 'open' end of the transmission line. I think that this slight 'overage' is the original incident TEM Energy Current extending beyond the actual conductor length and 'folding over' on itself to head back as the reflection.
Solar,
So you're an electronics pro? What sort of pulse widths do you get to play with?
You are agreeing with the "stepwise" buildup to a 'steady-state electric current'? I was theorizing that, a bit out on a limb, without reference to Catt or anyone, who didn't cover this case. For the extension beyond the length of the conductors, extending how far? More or less than the outer diameter or wire separation? Have you discerned a relation between the length of the extension into free space and the amplitude of the return? Ever stick a near field meter or slaved RFI probe at the far end? Ever notice widening of the return signal when the lines are bent? Ever run simulations to characterize the shape of the widened return pulse?
Electrons have nothing to do with the flow of electricity. Electrons are the rate at which electricity is destroyed. Electrons are the resistance." - Eric Dollard
Heaviside called the conductors "obstructors", as they obstruct the passage of the TEM wave or Energy Current, which is forced to move along them as a result. He also called the conductors "the wastepipe". Agreed with Dollard.

Jarvamundo

Unread post by Jarvamundo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:43 am

Forrest Bishop wrote:
Electrons have nothing to do with the flow of electricity. Electrons are the rate at which electricity is destroyed. Electrons are the resistance." - Eric Dollard
Heaviside called the conductors "obstructors", as they obstruct the passage of the TEM wave or Energy Current, which is forced to move along them as a result. He also called the conductors "the wastepipe". Agreed with Dollard.
http://www.tuks.nl/wiki/index.php/Main/ ... cFormPosts

mjv1121

Unread post by mjv1121 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:10 am

I have to say that this thread does not seem to be making any progress and in fact has been hijacked by business as usual pseudo-science.

Do you not see what you are doing?: fields, current, voltage, impedance - you are turning them into entities that act, but they are merely measurements; measurements that can only be inferred by the introduction of a third-party reaction - the measuring device.

Having defined your actors you place them in or around the dielectrics and conductor/reflector/whatever. All the time entirely missing the point and spectacularly avoiding the question: what is electricity?

Electricity is Charge.

Michael

Oracle_911

Unread post by Oracle_911 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:35 am

mjv1121 wrote: what is electricity?
A a cover up word for several phenomena. ;)

Counter question: what is charge?
Standpoint of "scientists": If reality doesn`t match with my theory, than reality has a problem.

Sorry for bad English and aggressive tone, i`m not native speaker.

PS: I`m a chemist.

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:44 am

mjv,
Having defined your actors you place them in or around the dielectrics and conductor/reflector/whatever. All the time entirely missing the point and spectacularly avoiding the question: what is electricity?
Michael, i haven't given up on "V" theory...just trying to understand other's....can you explain these reflected waves they are seeing? :?
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

sjw40364

Unread post by sjw40364 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:06 am

Is it a reflected wave or a cause from introducing a probe into the field, a reflection of the force off of the probe? By introducing an outside source to the field you are changing the field by that very action.

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:50 am

sjw40364 wrote:Is it a reflected wave or a cause from introducing a probe into the field, a reflection of the force off of the probe? By introducing an outside source to the field you are changing the field by that very action.
Generally yes. Don't consider this a any sort of a 'correction' but your summary is more on point and I would simply like to play with it by re-wording it: Your last sentence would actually be something along the lines of 'By introducing another 'load' or impediment to the transmission of the field you are introducing variations to the impedance characteristics of the original field that, upon superimposing by reflection may be qualified, or quantified, as the actions of "charge", "voltage", "current" etc by that very action.

This, I think, is all that Ivor Catt is saying and it is why he points to the existence of the "reference medium" Z0. From these variations of "superimposing" reflection characteristics causing impedance mismatches to 'overlap' each other the 'features' of "electricity are given different names, qualities, and quantificaitons. But, they all stem from these variations of the original "field energy." One is really just chronicling variations of 'field activities.'

This is precisely what Forrest theorized on as regarding the impedance mismatch whether from some condition on the transmission line “open”, “short”, faults etc and/or as relates the presence of the interaction of an original incident TEM Energy Current with a coil in a meter. Where the “pseudo science” comes in I don’t know as a paper by L. V. Bewley was cited. Here is a copy without the Scibd interface:

LV Bewley - Travelling Waves on Transmission Systems - 1933

In Bewley’s paper one can see that an apparatus, the transition network itself in this case, can induce reflected waves which then necessarily cross (interact with) the waves incident (incoming) on the wire (I say on the wire because the wire can’t ‘wave’). “Currents will flow into the network” apparatus and then “... transmitted waves will move out on the outgoing lines and reflected waves will start back on the incoming lines” as covered earlier causing an increase in the perception of "voltage."

Also, this is a well established and one can head over to Charles Proteus Steinmetz and note on page 227 that:
When traveling wave and stationary waves occur simultaneously, very often the traveling wave precedes the stationary wave. The phenomena may start with a traveling wave or impulse, and this, by reflection at the ends of the circuit, and combination of the reflected waves and the main waves, gradually changes to a stationary wave. In this case, the traveling wave has the same frequency as the stationary wave resulting from it. In fig 47 is shown the reproduction of an oscillogram of the formation of a stationary oscillation in a transmission line by the repeated reflection from the ends of the line of a single impulse caused by short circuiting the energized line at the open end. – Lectures on Electrical Engineering, Volume 2 By Charles Proteus Steinmetz
Or, one can consider more modern iterations:
The following illustration shows how a triangle-shaped incident waveform turns into a mirror-image reflectionupon reaching the line's unterminated end. The transmission line in this illustrative sequence is shown as a single, thick line rather than a pair of wires, for simplicity's sake. The incident wave is shown traveling from left to right, while the reflected wave travels from right to left: Standing waves and Resonance
The point, as relates the question “What is Electricity”, in considering and contrasting the work of others as opposed to simply broadcasting such overly vague consensus driven cul-de-sac statement such as “Electricity is Charge” is to delve deeper into not only the ‘accepted interpretations’ of measurement and experiment but to also contrast these with other experimental evidences which may speak to transient phenomena that have all but been eliminated by ‘filtering’ from the variety of activities culled ‘neath the term “Electricity.”

In this case, and as of late specifically, the ‘by products’ that may occur as a result of the superposition of incident and reflected waves in addition to the appearance of “standing waves” are ripe for discussion consider the opening question of this thread. All of which by their very nature as “waves” must necessarily have their existence in a dielectric-like ‘meduim’ surrounding a wire since wire itself; doesn’t ‘wave’. Only the amorphous characteristics or ‘quality’ of spatial “energy” can do that.

All that is being offered here are other interpretive perspectives or frameworks garnered from First Principles directly from experiment. Ivor Catt, for example, needed to reexamine the concepts responsible for the origin of the idea of “charge” and/or “voltage” owing to the result of experiment and testing. There is nothing wrong with reexamining the implications of the very existence of the impedance of “free space” aka the “reference medium” Z0[377] and to posit that owing to said impedance mismatch induced by reflective interaction i.e. “superimposition” of TEM Energy Current with reflections of different impedance characteristics that ‘secondary’ quantifications (or read actual secondary quanta) might be produced and measured as ‘cross products’, by products etc. of not only secondary but tertiary reflections as well - and subsequently labeled as “charge” or “voltage.”

Lastly, insofar as being “entities that act” what exactly is Planck ’s constant supposed to represent? – the smallest “energy quanta” i.e. IT ACTS to convey, transmit, and itself BE “energy.” Considering that the definition of “energy” is the ‘capacity to do work’ i.e. ACT-ion, how would this be an affront against credulity??

To then broadly assert that “Electricity is Charge” without such an interdisciplinary approach is simply absurd when considering the vast scope that the term electricity encompasses. Now, one can hopefully understand the ‘knowledge filters’ that prevented the contradictory contemporaries of Ivor Catt (he is not alone) from peeking their heads from beneath the umbrellas of their ‘comfort zones’. How dare anyone reexamine and/or reinterpret the interpretive framework of “scientific” gnosis and all of its wonders.

Pft, I do it with glee!! Its called First Principles and the day this dies in "science" is the day "science" dies and mere automatons run about regurgitating vague postulates as though they are self-evident facts.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:59 pm

Solar,

Great post.

As to :
....the implications of the very existence of the impedance of “free space” aka the “reference medium” Z0[377] and to posit that owing to said impedance mismatch induced by reflective interaction i.e. “superimposition” of TEM Energy Current with reflections of different impedance characteristics that ‘secondary’ quantifications (or read actual secondary quanta) might be produced and measured as ‘cross products’, by products etc. of not only secondary but tertiary reflections as well - and subsequently labeled as “charge” or “voltage.”
may i gently remind readers and experimenters, that unless one has an holographic display on their oscilloscope, we are sampling an electric impulse in ~2 dimensions, not the total signal.
Great a tool as it is, TEM wave is a planar derivation, and not a 4D topology. I would love for Catt & Bishop to follow up on the "Heaviside Signal" concept.

btw, "superposition" is a good term and deserves depth.
kudos to all