Comet Elenin on anyone's radar yet?

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

IbiZen

Re: Comet Elenin on anyone's radar yet?

Unread post by IbiZen » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:05 am

The ion tail is straight, the dust tail, being much slower curves
Think of a garden sprinkler going around...the water spray is like the dust tail.
Earth just happens to be going around the sprinkler in the same direction and the sprinkler will be catching up to us eventually getting us all wet.
Unless the comet´s orbit changes drastically, which according to Leonid Elenin, probably will not, or it disintegrates, the only question is how much of a tail it will develop. Given the fact that it will get as close to the Sun as Mercury´s orbit, much closer than most comets, there is reason to expect it to be significant.
We could be in for quite a show.

On a separate but related note, a NASA scientist has found fossils of bacteria in a certain type of meteor and believes it is the first evidence of extraterrestrial life, possibly from comets. Here is a link to the scientific paper....a bit long but interesting http://journalofcosmology.com/Life100.html

IbiZen

Unread post by IbiZen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:27 am

I am very disappointed at the lack of activity here, and especially the lack of input from the Thunderbolts team. This event will demonstrate several elements of the Electric Model, and deserves attention.

I would like to go on the record with a prediction. In May 1999 the solar wind stopped for 2 days (reasons unknown) causing the Earth´s magnetosphere to expand to 5 times its size and causing intense polar auroras and significant x-ray emissions. This is a NASA animation of the event http://science.nasa.gov/media/medialibr ... arwind.mov .

Separately, when Ulysses stumbled into Comet Hyakutake's tail (NOT McNaught's as stated in related TPOD) it found that the ion tail slowed the solar wind in HALF even at a very considerable distance.

It is therefore logical to expect that the ion tail of Elenin will significantly slow the solar wind and cause an event similar to the one in the animation. The fact that Elenin´s transit will occur around the equinox raises the possibility that a polar auroral display could be even more intense. I will leave the visual implications of this to everybody´s imagination !!!

Dotini

Unread post by Dotini » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:22 am

Marc, your excitement and continuing insights regarding Comet Elenin are well appreciated, at least by me. I'm sure the TB staff are sharpening their pencils and taking notes in preparation of events yet to come. For them, there will be more at stake than for the curious onlookers.

Personally, I'd like to see Elenin break free of the asteroid belt before getting too excited. I haven't seen any estimate of its size or recent photos of its tail. Is it 0.05 km in size, or 500km? The JPL browser lists the nuclear magnitude as 13.5, which I think translates to 5-12km. If the thing comes to a screeching halt against an asteroid, then a lot of ink will have been wasted.

Highest regards,
Dotini

IbiZen

Unread post by IbiZen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 am

Dotini
if you look at the Comet Elenin official facebook page you will find a post about significant asteroid approaches and dates from Leonid Elenin. You can also ask him questions there...i tried to get him to join this board, but I guess he has not so far.
Marc

IbiZen

Unread post by IbiZen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:00 am

Leonid Elenin´s blog is http://spaceobs.org/en/tag/c2010-x1-elenin/ . The last entry in russian is about the asteroid close approaches...you can run it through google translate to get it in english

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:11 am

Don't be disappointed, bud. There is always a lot of activity going on. Not all of it makes it to 'popular media' sites like this one, however... at least, not until the work is done and the papers are reviewed.

Patience will be very rewarding, I think. :)
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

IbiZen

Unread post by IbiZen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:11 am

Latest post from Dr Elenin
Leonid Elenin: "We already have very precise orbit, closest approach will be on Oct 16 21:08 UT +/- 40 mins. Distance - 0.233 AU (34 880 000 km). This is 91 distances to the Moon."

The work has been done, verified, reviewed and confirmed.

As I have said before, closest approach to Earth should not really be a big deal (but most people ask how close will it come to Earth???)...what interests us (electrically) is the ion tail which Earth will be transiting around Sep 27, and before that, perihelion on Sep 10.

Today he said the comet is now entering the densest part of the asteroid belt, but according to his blog there are no known objects in its path.

My EU question is: the comet should be negatively charged...and the asteroid belt, should be positively charged. How could it affect the comet?

Orthogonal

Unread post by Orthogonal » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:34 pm

IbiZen wrote: As I have said before, closest approach to Earth should not really be a big deal (but most people ask how close will it come to Earth???)...what interests us (electrically) is the ion tail which Earth will be transiting around Sep 27, and before that, perihelion on Sep 10.

My EU question is: the comet should be negatively charged...and the asteroid belt, should be positively charged. How could it affect the comet?
It could be interesting, it could be a dud. If it is already to the asteroid belt and is capable of being a great comet I would think it would be fairly visible by now and making hay in the mainstream media. I don't know for sure, but I seem to remember Shoemaker Levy 9 having a lot of great pictures from Jupiter's orbit.

From what I understand of the EU model, both the comet and the asteroid belt are negatively charged. Only the Sun would be considered "positive" in the Solar system. However, the asteroid belt would be "positive" relative to the charge on the comet. The only interaction we would expect is if the comet were to pass close enough to an asteroid body such that their plasma sheath's interacted. I would expect the asteroid to have an extremely small almost non-existant plasma sheath since they are likely adapted to their local environment considering their low elliptical orbits. Any chance of interaction would be very low.

IbiZen

Unread post by IbiZen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:01 am

Hey Ortho
SL9 slammed into Jupiter, thats why every available telescope was pointed that way.
As far as EU theory I look forward to our hosts illuminating us and clearing up the confusion.
Anyway the Elenin show is just beginning...so stay tuned and make sure you got a good seat in September.
M

The Great Dog

Unread post by The Great Dog » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:21 am

IbiZen is mistaken about McNaught and Ulysses. The Picture of the Day article is accurate. IbiZen is referring to a 1996 event when Ulysses encountered Hyakutake.
In the case of comet McNaught, Ulysses found that the plasma tail slowed the solar wind inside the bow wave to half its normal speed. The solar wind usually travels at about 435 miles (700 kilometers) a second at that distance from the sun. But inside the comet's tail, the wind was moving at less than 250 miles (400 kilometers) a second. It took Ulysses a record 18 days to pass through the region of solar wind "shocked" by the comet's tail.
"Biggest" Comet Measured
Last edited by The Great Dog on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are no other dogs but The Great Dog

The Great Dog

Unread post by The Great Dog » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:36 am

Remember Comet Kohoutek in the 1970's? Maybe it was before your time, although the comet was a naked eye object, the anticipation of it as the Great Comet of the century was a big let down.
I left West Germany to see Kohoutek. We planned a campout in a dry lake bed north of LA in the Mojave desert. We still went camping but we knew by then that the astronomers were wrong about the spectacular display. I went back to Germany disappointed.
There are no other dogs but The Great Dog

blackbird

Unread post by blackbird » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:07 am

Hello everyone :D

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=C ... ;cad=0#orb

27th February 2010 UTC (Historical)
Respective alignment (C/2010 X1 Comet Elenin, Earth, Sun, Jupiter)
Recorded: Chile, 8.8 Magnitude Earthquake.

Future dates of interest in my Electric Universe calendar.

15th (±3 days) March 2011 UTC
Respective Alignment: (C/2010 X1 Comet Elenin, Earth, Sun)

20th March 2011
A full moon (moon towards Saturn, side of Earth facing away from the Sun),
but no other special planet alignments then.

2nd (±3 days) April 2011
Respective Alignment: (Saturn, Earth, Mercury, Sun, Jupiter)

27th (±3 days) September 2011
Comet Elenin will transit between the Sun and the Earth, its ion tail will be pointed at Earth.... it will also be new Moon, meaning the Sun, Comet Elenin, Moon and Earth will be aligned respectively (with Uranus behind Earth) and Mercury and Venus near each other on the other side of the Sun. If one considers electrostatics in space, this might be an interesting time.

I may post some interesting images over the next few days.

IbiZen

Unread post by IbiZen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:06 pm

Hey Big Dog, you are barking up the wrong tree. I wrote that Ulysses met Hyakutake, the TPOD said McNaught, where is my mistake?

From NASA press release read full text at http://ulysses.jpl.nasa.gov/news/Ulysse ... _comet.txt

Comet Hyakutake, one of the brightest comets of the 20th

century, made a dazzling nighttime appearance in the spring of

1996, when it made a close pass by the Sun. While Ulysses was

cruising through space studying the solar wind on May 1, 1996,

its data suddenly went wild for a few hours. For example, the

solar wind seemed to almost disappear and was replaced by gases

not normally found in the solar wind, and the magnetic field in

the solar wind was distorted. Since Ulysses scientists were not

looking for comets, they did not realize the significance of the

data right away.

But thank you for at least responding....the main point is still the same...Earth is going through Elenin´s tails and that is a very very big deal. (Kohoutek passed on the other side of the Sun)

Marc

IbiZen

Unread post by IbiZen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:20 pm

Big Dog..I just read the National Geographic article you linked...I see where you are coming from now...what I don´t see is a press release from the Ulysses site about the McNaught tail encounter, which I find a bit odd.
Speaking of McNaught, I saw it in NYC in a red sunset over the statue of liberty the last day before it headed south when it was still a tiny little thing...it took me a while to spot it between all the jet contrails and scattered clouds....but eventually the sun went down a bit and the contrails disappeared.

IbiZen

Unread post by IbiZen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Blackbird, I saw a video linking Jupiter opposition to major earthquakes....the last 19 times....unrelated to Elenin...but the next one is Apr 10, i think...didnt check if it was factual, but if it is, it is statistically significant.