Giant Ribbon Discovered at Edge of Solar System

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

mharratsc

Re: Giant Ribbon Discovered at Edge of Solar System

Unread post by mharratsc » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks for that GaryN. Seriously- how can physicists see that,and NOT think 'kink instability'?? :roll:

I did hear back from Lukas Saul, by the way. I am in the process of asking him if it would be okay for me to post our conversation here.

All I can say at this point is- it still seems to me that they have a very mainstream point of view, and that the notion of large scale circuits in and out of the solar environment seems to elude their grasp... :oops:

Oh yeah- heya Sol! Where the heck have you been?? I was getting SPWS (Solrey Post Withdrawal Syndrome) waiting for you to get back! >.O

Good to see you on again, pal! :)
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

solrey

Unread post by solrey » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:47 pm

All I can say at this point is- it still seems to me that they have a very mainstream point of view, and that the notion of large scale circuits in and out of the solar environment seems to elude their grasp...
In the newest pre-print version of their paper, there are six hypotheses that are pretty much rejected with nothing new to offer as I recall. Quite astonishing considering they've been using ENA's to study Earth's ring currents for quite some time as this paper from 1993 demonstrates.

Satellite observations and instrumentation for measuring energetic neutral atoms
Energetic neutral atoms are an important tracer of energetic ion collisions with neutrals in solar and planetary plasmas. Global scale images of the Earth's ring current (2 < L < 4) may be remotely sensed from either above the Earth's radiation belt or from below the radiation belt at low altitude. Neutral atoms can therefore provide a mapping of the internal composition, spatial geometry, and temporal changes of the ring current, weighted by the appropriate cross sections and neutral hydrogen density; it provides a powerful method of studying the magnetosphere.
The source of energetic neutral atoms (ENA) is believed to be a double-charge-exchange process of ions originating in the ring current, as illustrated in Fig. 1. ENA has been observed by Roelof et al. using the Interplanetary Monitoring Platform (IMP) and the International Sun-Earth Exploror (ISEE) data. New ENA and ion composition measurements are described in this paper using the Combined Release and Radiation Effect Satellite (CRRES) ion mass spectrometer (IMS-HI) instrument. The trapped ions of the ring current, by charge exchange with thermal hydrogen atoms of the geocorona, become high-velocity neutral atoms that are focused, for those directed toward the Earth, in the equatorial atmosphere where they again become ions by ionization collisions. The injected energetic neutrals at low altitudes produce the equatorial precipitation zone and a temporary low-altitude ion belt between 200 and 1000 km, as shown in Fig. 1.

It's even from within "the club", not some obscure nutter from Botswana or something.
Acknowledgments
The work at Lockheed was supported in part by the Office of Naval Research under contract N00014-83-C-0476 and by the Lockheed Independent Research Program. The SEPS development and microcircuits were supported by the NASA ISTP/GGS program.
How can they not even at least consider the ring current paradigm in the mix of at least, what, six failed hypotheses so far? Short term memory loss...blinders too tight? Peer pressure? :o

Mike was all over it though:
Sort of reminds me of our planet's "Van Allen Belts"... any chance that the "belt" is actually just the contact point of a big plasma torus around the outside of our plasmasphere? They did say that it appeared to be filamentary, right?

Mike H.
Yeah, something like that:
solrey wrote:
Taken as a whole, this information about the belt and accompanying stringy ribbon structure, spherical heliosphere, etc., suggests a toroidal ring current surrounding a spherical double layer (heliosheath) within a galactic “Bennett pinch” (indicated by the surrounding charged particle’s high temperature and pressure, and apparently strong magnetic field).
Pretty much expected in Plasma Cosmology/Electric Universe.
And as Wal Thornhill states in Electric Sun Verified
The Z-pinch model offers a simple explanation for the “giant ribbon” found wrapped around the heliosphere. The Z-pinch is naturally aligned with the interstellar magnetic field. Solar “wind” ions are scattered and neutralized by electrons from the Birkeland current filaments to form ENA’s coming from the Z-pinch ring, a giant ring about the solar system and orthogonal to the interstellar magnetic field.
Here's a piece of the puzzle from a paper I posted earlier that might provide insight into the usefulness of heliosheath ENA's to forecast near term solar activity.
Any change in external current through the magnetosphere causes a convection restructuring within a time on the order of the travel time of the magnetosonic wave from the magnetopause to the center of the system, because the restructuring wave comes from both flanks. In our model this implies the transition from the two-vortex to four-vortex convection system.
So if there is a similar process occurring in the heliosphere might it be reasonable to assume that the time it takes for a change in the external current (inwardly directed e-field of the heliospheric current sheet) to manifest a change in solar activity be approximately equal to the inward drift current. The inflowing drift current should have a similar velocity as the outflowing solar "wind", which takes about 12 months to reach the healiosheath. The higher energy ENA's from the heliosheath take about six months minimum to reach Earth. So the ENA's are probably detected about 4 - 6 months ahead of the corresponding effect in solar activity. That matches well with the timing of when the data was collected in the two IBEX maps and the similar 10-15% drop in activity noted in the F10.7 flux chart I posted earlier. The data collection for the third IBEX map should be completed by now, or nearly so. If my suspicions are correct, that data should give us an idea of what solar activity is going to be like for the next few months, compared to what it was between early to mid 2010. Compared to the first two, if the third IBEX map is the most energetic, F10 flux should end the year higher than 84, if it's the least energetic map expect flux to go below 72. If the third map is in the middle then F10 flux should remain on the trend where it's been the past two months at around 78 or 80.

Oh yeah- heya Sol! Where the heck have you been??
Hey Mike. :) Been outside playing; in the garden, on the coast and in the mountains...among other things. Basically enjoying the dry season in the PacNW while it lasts. ;)
I was getting SPWS (Solrey Post Withdrawal Syndrome) waiting for you to get back!
:lol: You crack me up.
Just burn a stick of frankincense while drinking a hot tea made of valerian, passionflower, jasmine and hops, sweetened with honey to taste.

cheers
“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
Nikola Tesla

Phorce

Unread post by Phorce » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:34 am

Been reading the debate and stumbled across this related image in another field.

( Source )
Exploration and discovery without honest investigation of "extraordinary" results leads to a Double Bind (Bateson, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bind ) that creates loss of hope and depression. No more Double Binds !

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:26 am

Solrey said:
Just burn a stick of frankincense while drinking a hot tea made of valerian, passionflower, jasmine and hops, sweetened with honey to taste.
Hippie! :P

@Phorce- yep, you pinned the tail on the pachyderm with that one, bro. ;)
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

saul

Unread post by saul » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:10 am

mharratsc wrote:Thanks for that GaryN. Seriously- how can physicists see that,and NOT think 'kink instability'?? :roll:

I did hear back from Lukas Saul, by the way. I am in the process of asking him if it would be okay for me to post our conversation here.

All I can say at this point is- it still seems to me that they have a very mainstream point of view, and that the notion of large scale circuits in and out of the solar environment seems to elude their grasp... :oops:

Thanks Mike for bringing me back here, and for the interesting ideas all :)

Feel free to post from our conversation if you like.

A couple points that may be of interest, one is that IBEX was not sold as a magnetospheric mission. I see that somebody already pointed out here that ENAs from the Earth's magnetosphere are not a new discovery.

Another thing is that the IBEX maps are not tainted by interpretation. These are really just the observed ENA fluxes, together with their direction in the sky. So, this should be as close to empirical data as we can get. There are still several competing ideas about what is really the source of the ribbon and none of them stand out (IMHO) as being the whole truth, though there are some interesting ideas floating around.

Using heliospheric ENAs to predict solar activity is probably not a good idea because of the huge delay, both in getting the solar wind out to the outer heliosphere, and bringing the ENAs back in to 1AU.

Finally, there is the issue of large scale currents entering the solar system. This would not be an ideal place for IBEX, being a neutral particle instrument. One would need to detect these currents directly (charged particle detectors). There are a number of spacecraft that have crossed the heliospheric current sheet, many with electron instruments, and they have shown the electrons to be mostly moving outward with the protons in the solar wind. Ulysses is probably a good place to start if you are interested in looking for something like this. Helios also made quite good measurements of electron velocity distribution. It is hard for me to imagine electrons from outside the solar system arriving in the inner heliosphere; the superalvénic solar wind plasma is a substantial barrier for charged particles.

solrey

Unread post by solrey » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi Lukas. Thanks for the info and the critique.

About the HCS:
The electric current in the heliospheric current sheet has a radial component (directed inward) as well as an azimuthal component, the radial circuit being closed by outward currents aligned with the Sun's magnetic field in the solar polar regions. The radial current in the circuit is on the order of 3×109 amperes.[4] As a comparison with other astrophysical electric currents, the Birkeland currents that supply the Earth's aurora are about a thousand times weaker at a million amperes. The maximum current density in the sheet is on the order of 10-10 A/m² (10-4 A/km²).
Is this incorrect?

I agree there's an issue with large scale currents entering the heliosphere but currents actually entering the heliosphere are not necessary in an inductive system. Think of the ISM and the hypothetical ring current surrounding the heliosphere as a large induction coil with an oscillating time variable field (Alfven's galactic current sheet) which keeps "stirring the pot" of the heliosphere like an inductively coupled plasma. The HCS is a self contained closed circuit within the heliosphere. The semi-permeable membrane of a double layer at the heliosheath could allow for some charge exchange like a drift current that maintains the voltage potential between the helisophere and the ISM within a certain range maintaining a balanced potential.

Since the suns poles are involved axially in the closed circuit it seems natural, in the above scenario, that there would be changes distinct to the polar regions of the heliosheath, as IBEX has detected. How is that explained if the only source of ENA's is from the "reflected" solar wind? Due to the suns magnetic poles being relatively "diffuse" maybe?

So Lukas, has the third data set been completed yet and if so, how does it compare to the first two? I understand what you're saying about heliosheath ENA's forecasting solar activity...but hey, what if?

Thanks for keeping us informed.
“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
Nikola Tesla

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks for popping back in over here, Saul! I'm sure we all appreciate your thoughts on IBEX data and also where we could potentially find more data on charged particles, as well.

Just curious- have you ever had the opportunity to take a look at the Electric Sun model that is particularly popular here at the Thunderbolts site? If you were aware of the Electric Sun model, you would probably understand our fascination with the data that IBEX is pulling in at the heliospheric boundary.

Thanks again for taking the time to check back in with us :)
Mike H.

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:05 pm

This is what happens when I cut and paste because of a bad memory- I pasted your last name instead of first!

Sorry about that, Lukas.. :oops:
Mike H.

saul

Unread post by saul » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:01 am

solrey wrote:Hi Lukas. Thanks for the info and the critique.

About the HCS:
The electric current in the heliospheric current sheet has a radial component (directed inward) as well as an azimuthal component, the radial circuit being closed by outward currents aligned with the Sun's magnetic field in the solar polar regions. The radial current in the circuit is on the order of 3×109 amperes.[4] As a comparison with other astrophysical electric currents, the Birkeland currents that supply the Earth's aurora are about a thousand times weaker at a million amperes. The maximum current density in the sheet is on the order of 10-10 A/m² (10-4 A/km²).
Is this incorrect?
Sorry I can't confirm for you the wikipedia numbers, but yes the heliospheric current sheet is a very real thing. Your response makes me wonder about the different fluxes required to make the current. I suppose there are a few more electrons in the solar wind leaving the equator and a few less in the solar wind leaving at the poles. Current looks a bit different in a superalfvenic plasma :)
solrey wrote:
I agree there's an issue with large scale currents entering the heliosphere but currents actually entering the heliosphere are not necessary in an inductive system. Think of the ISM and the hypothetical ring current surrounding the heliosphere as a large induction coil with an oscillating time variable field (Alfven's galactic current sheet) which keeps "stirring the pot" of the heliosphere like an inductively coupled plasma. The HCS is a self contained closed circuit within the heliosphere. The semi-permeable membrane of a double layer at the heliosheath could allow for some charge exchange like a drift current that maintains the voltage potential between the helisophere and the ISM within a certain range maintaining a balanced potential.

Since the suns poles are involved axially in the closed circuit it seems natural, in the above scenario, that there would be changes distinct to the polar regions of the heliosheath, as IBEX has detected. How is that explained if the only source of ENA's is from the "reflected" solar wind? Due to the suns magnetic poles being relatively "diffuse" maybe?

So Lukas, has the third data set been completed yet and if so, how does it compare to the first two? I understand what you're saying about heliosheath ENA's forecasting solar activity...but hey, what if?

Thanks for keeping us informed.
Very interesting ideas, thank you. One of the surprises about the ribbon is that it isn't symmetric about the more obvious solar geometries: the line to the nose of the heliosphere, or ecliptic, or solar rotation axis. Further, it appears only on one side. This is what has led many to believe it must represent the influence of the local interstellar magnetic field, and thus claim that IBEX has measured the direction of that field. The strongest evidence for "reflected solar wind" (and I believe there is a paper coming out suggesting just that) is that the ribbon ENA energy peaks at the solar wind energy.

The IBEX repointing schedule allows a full heliospheric map to be produced with 6 months of data. However there are some measurement differences due to the satellite (with the Earth) moving away from some parts of the ribbon during half the year and towards these parts of the ribbon during the other half. For this reason it is ideal to compare maps which were taken 1 year apart. This makes the "third set" you ask about more interesting. The data are in but I don't think they are published yet and the differences AFAIK are not dramatic.

There are some interesting differences between the first two sets:

McComas et al., 2010, Journal of Geophysical Research, Volume 115, Issue A9,
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2010JGRA..11509113M

Would you predict any variation with solar cycle?

Cheers -

saul

Unread post by saul » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:03 am

mharratsc wrote:This is what happens when I cut and paste because of a bad memory- I pasted your last name instead of first!

Sorry about that, Lukas.. :oops:
No problem Mike. Don't trust anyone with two first names :)

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:44 am

Hey Lukas- I'm gonna toss a 'newbie' question at you that is bothering me:

Why all the fuss about energetic neutral atoms? Why go all the way out there to look at non-charged matter, and not really have any capability (if I'm reading it right) of being able to compare it to the volume of charged matter in the vacinity?

I guess the purpose is sort of escaping me at the moment. :oops:
Mike H.

solrey

Unread post by solrey » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:54 am

Mind if I take a stab at your question there Mike?

Energetic Neutral Atoms were charged particles (ions) that became neutral through collisional charge exchange. They started out as excited ions, but once the ion is neutralized it's no longer affected by magnetic fields so the now neutral atom flies off and maintains the direction and velocity it had at the time it became neutral. Think of ENA's as a tracer to the source of charged particle collisions. Charged particles follow magnetic field vectors so it's pretty much impossible to trace exactly where they came from since they probably changed direction at least once between the source and point of detection.

From a link I posted previously regarding the Earth's ring current:

Satellite observations and instrumentation for measuring energetic neutral atoms
Energetic neutral atoms are an important tracer of energetic ion collisions with neutrals in solar and planetary plasmas. Global scale images of the Earth's ring current (2 < L < 4) may be remotely sensed from either above the Earth's radiation belt or from below the radiation belt at low altitude. Neutral atoms can therefore provide a mapping of the internal composition, spatial geometry, and temporal changes of the ring current
The trapped ions of the ring current, by charge exchange with thermal hydrogen atoms of the geocorona, become high-velocity neutral atoms...

cheers
Nikola Tesla

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:32 am

So by detecting these buggers, we can map the current around the heliosphere much like we did around the Earth's magnetosphere (sort of?)

Why is it necessary to detect ENA's, tho? Are we unable to detect charged particles? Can we not track charged particles in similar fashion?

Not sure why I'm being so obtuse about this, but I really would like th know what the fuss is all about. :\
Mike H.

solrey

Unread post by solrey » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:43 am

We can and do detect charged particles, but their trajectories are curved by magnetic fields and they might have gone through several ionization neutralization cycles along the way making it impossible to identify the exact origin of said particles. Not only do ENA's travel in a straight line, as opposed to ions being curved by magnetic fields, ENA's are also the result of collisions so their trajectories pinpoint regions where charge exchange is happening and the energy/velocity of the source ions can be determined as well, such as Lukas eluded to:
The strongest evidence for "reflected solar wind" (and I believe there is a paper coming out suggesting just that) is that the ribbon ENA energy peaks at the solar wind energy.
IBEX detects neutrals at several energy levels. Energetic neutrals essentially carry the energy imprint of the source ions and point right to the collision zone. I suspect one reason that peak ENA energy equals the solar wind energy is due to secondary charge exchange in the heliosheath by neutrals created from ions "trapped" by the surrounding ring current. The "imprint" of the ring current on the heliosheath I mentioned months ago. Much like ENA's from Earth's ring current produces secondary charge exchange/ionization in the ionosphere in a band along the magnetic equator. If the sun is indeed powered externally, assuming the "output" is approximately equal to the "input", peak ENA energy in the range of solar wind energy would be expected.

cheers
Nikola Tesla

Anaconda

Unread post by Anaconda » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:00 pm

To understand what physical processes are responsible for the "knot" and its becoming "untied" or unwinding, in a spiral vortex morphology, it is first necessary to define the physical structure the "knot" is embedded in.

The "knot" is embedded in the the heliosphere and the heliosphere, the protective bubble in which the Earth and other planets reside and boundary between our solar system and interstellar space, is a boundary between two bodies of plasma, each causing its own magnetic field, with different physical characteristics.
“The moving plasma, i.e., charged particles flows, are currents that produce self-magnetic fields, however weak.” — Dr. Anthony L. Peratt, Los Alamos National Laboratory, retired

“An electromotive force [mathematical equation] giving rise to electrical currents in conducting media is produced wherever a relative perpendicular motion of plasma and magnetic fields exists.” — Dr. Anthony L. Peratt, Los Alamos National Laboratory, retired
When two plasma bodies, each producing its own magnetic field, come into contact, pressing the two bodies of plasma and their respective magnetic fields together, the result is an Electric Double Layer:
In general, double layers (which may be curved rather than flat) separate regions of plasma with quite different characteristics. — Wikipedia entry for Double Layer (plasma)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_layer_(plasma)

The two bodies of plasma on each side of the heliosphere boundary have different physical characteristics.

A plasma Electric Double Layer can be considered a physical object with specific physical processes, per Hannes Alfven.
A double layer is a structure in a plasma and consists of two parallel layers with opposite electrical charge. The sheets of charge cause a strong electric field and a correspondingly sharp change in voltage (electrical potential) across the double layer. Ions and electrons which enter the double layer are accelerated, decelerated, or reflected by the electric field. -- Wikipedia entry for Double Layer (plasma)
In this specific case, the heliosphere boundary, the Double Layer encircles the solar system in a "bubble".

Mainstream astrophysics wrongly identifies the Electric Double Layer process as so-called "magnetic reconnection".

Again, to understand this "knot" and its becoming "untied", it is crucial to correctly identify the structure and understand the structure's physical dynamics. To that end, the following two sets of scientific papers are presented to support the assertion the heliosphere is an Electric Double Layer:

The following scientific papers stand for the proposition that so-called “magnetic reconnection” is actually the Electric Double Layer process.

Scientific papers presented:

Filamentary Structures in U-Shaped Double Layers, 2005
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-b ... 22c9c05019

Quote from the above paper:
Observations from the Polar and FAST satellites have revealed a host of intriguing features of the auroral accelerations processes in the upward current region (UCR). These features include: (i) large-amplitude parallel and perpendicular fluctuating as well as quasi-static electric fields in density cavities, (ii) fairly large-amplitude unipolar parallel electric fields like in a strong double layer (DL), (iii) variety of wave modes, (iv) counter-streaming of upward going ion beams and downward accelerated electrons, (v) horizontally corrugated bottom region of the potential structures (PS), in which electron and ion accelerations occur, (vi) filamentary ion beams in the corrugated PS, and (vii) both upward and downward moving narrow regions of parallel electric fields, inferred from the frequency drifts of the auroral kilometric radiations.

Parallel electric fields in the upward current region of the aurora: Indirect and direct observations, published 2002 Physics of Plasma
http://www.space.irfu.se/exjobb/2003_er ... _ergun.pdf

In this article we present electric field, magnetic field, and charged particle observations from the upward current region of the aurora focusing on the structure of electric fields at the boundary between the auroral cavity and the ionosphere…These observations suggest that the parallel electric fields at the boundary between the auroral cavity and the ionosphere are self-consistently supported as oblique double layers.
Let’s now compare the above Electric Double Layers papers with the following so-called “magnetic reconnection” scientific papers:

Magnetopause reconnection impact parameters from multiple spacecraft magnetic field measurements published 30 October 2009
http://www.leif.org/EOS/2009GL040228.pdf

Discrepancies between the measured components of E [electric field] and the corresponding components of v B [magnetic field] after a careful error analysis signify a nonideal electric field. We intend to show in a subsequent paper that the Cluster electric field and particle flow data for this event satisfy the criteria for a parallel electric field…

With the instantaneous coordinate system and the parallel electric field established, one can place particle moments, such as velocities, pressures, and temperatures, as well as magnetic and electric field measurements…

Sufficiently accurate ion and electron moments and electric field measurements within this coordinate system delineate ion and electron diffusion regions.
Recent in-situ observations of magnetic reconnection in near-Earth space, published 11 October 2008
http://www.leif.org/EOS/2008GL035297.pdf

Figure 1. “(bottom [schematic, page 2 of 7] ) : “Zoom-in on the region around the X-line, with the ion and electron diffusion regions indicated by the shading and the rectangular box, respectively. The quadrupolar Hall magnetic field is pointing in and out of the plane of the figure. The Hall electric field [perpendicular electric field] is shown by the red arrows, while the blue arrows mark the oppositely directed jets in the outflow regions. Note that entry and acceleration occur all the way along the current sheet. Figure courtesy of Marit Oieroset.
The “X” cross section discussed in these “magnetic reconnection” papers are where electric and magnetic fields cross, just as Hannes Alfven described in his empirical laboratory work on Electric Double Layers and, is central to the acceleration of the particles in both sets of papers, Electric Double Layers and “magnetic reconnection”, respectively.

Collisionless Magnetic Field Reconnection From First Principles: What It Can and Cannot Do
http://solarmuri.ssl.berkeley.edu/~wels ... onn_v4.pdf

The physics of reconnection depends on the electric field component out of the plane of Fig. 1 at the center of the figure, which is sometimes called the tangential electric field.

If it is zero [the Electric field], the two plasmas flow around each other into or out of the plane of the figure because there is no ExB/B2 flow in the plane of the figure in this central region.

On the other hand, if the tangential electric field is non-zero, the plasmas continue flowing towards each other into the central region of the figure and magnetic field reconnection occurs as discussed below.
When a reader compares the two sets of scientific papers and then compares the specific physical elements observed & measured, magnetic fields, electric fields & charged particles’ location, motion, direction, and velocity (currents) & charged particles' location of acceleration, it becomes clear what mainstream astrophysics has labeled "magnetic reconnection" is actually an Electric Double Layer. Obviously, this requires an electromagnetic framework of analysis & interpretation as presented in the Electric Double Layer process as stated by Hannes Alfven.

So, now that the solar system boundary, the heliosphere, has been identified as an Electric Double Layer, the second step is to identify the physical processes of the "knot" and what physical processes are responsible for its becoming "untied".

The change in the “knot” embedded in the ribbon strongly suggests a change in flows in charged particles initiated by forces either outside or inside the heliospheric boundary.

A charged particle is one that has coulomb force, also known as an “electric force”, which can be attraction between opposite charged particles or can be repulsion between similarly charged particles.

Interestingly enough a stationary charged particle does not cause a magnetic field.

Magnetic fields are dependent on not just charged particles, but are also dependent on the motion of those charged particles.

In other words, magnetic fields are a function of moving charged particles.

The “knot” untangles or unwinds into a spiral vortex structure.

This suggests the possibility that the “knot” is actually a plasmoid.

Per Wikipedia entry for plasmoid:
A plasmoid is a coherent structure of plasma and magnetic fields. Plasmoids have been proposed to explain natural phenomena such as ball lightning, magnetic bubbles in the magnetosphere, and objects in cometary tails, in the solar wind, in the solar atmosphere, and in the heliospheric current sheet. Plasmoids produced in the laboratory include Field-Reversed Configurations, Spheromaks, and the dense plasma focus.
The word plasmoid was coined in 1956 by Winston H. Bostick (1916-1991) to mean a ‘plasma-magnetic entity’:

The plasma is emitted not as an amorphous blob, but in the form of a torus. We shall take the liberty of calling this toroidal structure a plasmoid, a word which means plasma-magnetic entity. The word plasmoid will be employed as a generic term for all plasma-magnetic entities.

Bostick wrote:

Plasmoids appear to be plasma cylinders elongated in the direction of the magnetic field. Plasmoids possess a measurable magnetic moment, a measurable translational speed, a transverse electric field, and a measurable size. Plasmoids can interact with each other, seemingly by reflecting off one another. Their orbits can also be made to curve toward one another. Plasmoids can be made to spiral to a stop if projected into a gas at about 10−3 mm Hg pressure. Plasmoids can also be made to smash each other into fragments. There is some scant evidence to support the hypothesis that they undergo fission and possess spin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasmoid

So, perhaps, this is a plasmoid which was first observed as a “knot” then “untangled” into a vortex spiral, electric current flowing as a sheet in the plane of the spiral.

This could also suggest the plasmoid “relaxed” or electromagnetic tension decreased, further suggesting a decrease in electromagnetic energy introduced into the plasmoid.

An immediate objection to the above analysis is that the "knot" consists of energized neutral atoms (ENA's), not charged particles. Fare enough, but the scientifically verified process of Marklund convection can answer this objection in all respects.
Marklund convection (after Göran Marklund) is a natural plasma convection process that takes place in filamentary currents, that may cause chemical separation. It may occur within a plasma with an associated electric field, that causes convection of ions and electrons inward towards a central twisting filamentary axis. A temperature gradient within the plasma will also cause chemical separation based on different ionization potentials. -- Plasma Universe.com
http://www.plasma-universe.com/index.ph ... convection
The mechanism provides an efficient means to accumulate matter within a plasma. In a partially ionized plasma, electromagnetic forces act on the non-ionized material indirectly through the viscosity between the ionized and non-ionized material.

Alfvén writes that:

".. elements with the lowest ionization potential are brought closest to the axis, and form concentric hollow cylinders whose radii increase with ionization potential [..] The drift of ionized matter from the surroundings into the rope means that the rope acts as an ion pump, which evacuates the surroundings . Regions with extremely low densities can be produced in this way ."
The Plasma Universe.com entry goes on:
Marklund clarifies:

In my paper in Nature the plasma convects radially inwards, with the normal E x B/B2 velocity, towards the center of a cylindrical flux tube. During this convection inwards, the different chemical constituents of the plasma, each having its specific ionization potential, enter into a progressively cooler region. The plasma constituents will recombine and become neutral, and thus no longer under the influence of the electromagnetic forcing. The ionization potentials will thus determine where the different species will be deposited, or stopped in their motion."
To highlight the two most relevant quotes from the entry:
In a partially ionized plasma, electromagnetic forces act on the non-ionized material indirectly through the viscosity between the ionized and non-ionized material.
The plasma constituents will recombine and become neutral, and thus no longer under the influence of the electromagnetic forcing. The ionization potentials will thus determine where the different species will be deposited, or stopped in their motion.
http://www.plasma-universe.com/index.ph ... convection

So, even though the energized neutral atoms (ENA's) constitute the ribbon and the "knot", the dynamics of Marklund convection suggest these neutral atoms are under the influence of elelctromagnetic forces.

And the "knot" is a plasmoid embedded in an Electric Double Layer, and the "knot" unwinding into a spiral vortex also possibly fits with Marklund convection because the dynamics of Marklund convection can result in sprial, vortex morphology.
It [Marklund convection] may occur within a plasma with an associated electric field, that causes convection of ions and electrons inward towards a central twisting filamentary axis.
Now, of course, the next question is where the electromagnetic energy feeding the ribbon is coming from: From inside the heliosphere or from outside the heliospheric boundary, the interstellar magnetic field?