Evidence of Gravitational Waves, or Confirmation Bias?

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Zyxzevn

Re: Evidence of Gravitational Waves, or Confirmation Bias?

Unread post by Zyxzevn » Mon May 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Michael Mozina wrote: .. why the veto in question was originally written and installed, or what it was designed to veto out to start with, ...
For me it is clear that the LIGO system is resonating. It shows up in their RAW data.
The resonating is caused by the circular loop that they had created in their system
to amplify the signal. This loop can give a positive or negative feedback, which gives
2 different frequencies. The feedback system also causes Amplitude
modulation of the resonating signal.

The vetos might relate to this resonating signal. Maybe it got too big or something.

The PhDs that worked on that probably left long before the signal was found,
and nobody else knows what to do with it any more.
Common stuff in a university environment, but you don't write about that in the papers.
More ** from zyxzevn at: Paradigm change and C@

Cargo

Unread post by Cargo » Mon May 15, 2017 9:16 pm

Of course it is. They've already shown that the scale of the signal they want to Discover is several orders smaller then the resolution of the system, even after the upgrade which spawned a Nobel Prize Wannabe, and requires high-math filters and gaussion heuristics to look for a 'pattern'.

The LIGO has enough TV Snow to fill a 4K screen the size of a football field. And they ran a Math Truck over it and found some blips. It's like saying you see a certain shape in the clouds. Sorry you missed it, trust me, wait and I'll find another.
interstellar filaments conducted electricity having currents as high as 10 thousand billion amperes

Michael Mozina

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Tue May 16, 2017 10:09 am

Cargo wrote:Of course it is. They've already shown that the scale of the signal they want to Discover is several orders smaller then the resolution of the system, even after the upgrade which spawned a Nobel Prize Wannabe, and requires high-math filters and gaussion heuristics to look for a 'pattern'.

The LIGO has enough TV Snow to fill a 4K screen the size of a football field. And they ran a Math Truck over it and found some blips. It's like saying you see a certain shape in the clouds. Sorry you missed it, trust me, wait and I'll find another.
It's ethically bankrupt and pretty darn cheesy that LIGO didn't include any mention of the original veto of this very signal in the published paper in February of last year, but it's downright scandalous that we've never seen a public explanation of what that veto was designed to check for in the first place, why and how it achieved a "high confidence' rejection of the signal, or anything specific about it. The LIGO magazine account doesn't provide enough information to make any external assessment of the validity of that human decision, or any quantified definition of 'safety" as it relates to whether that veto filtered out a real event, or whether it correctly filtered out the "noise' that it was designed to filter out.

Mind you, LIGO's lack of any detailed explanation of that veto isn't the *worst* problem with the paper, but it certainly demonstrates a total lack of ethics in terms of LIGO not providing the peer reviewers or the public all that necessary and useful information that is required to evaluate their work by anyone outside of LIGO.

The BICEP2 paper suffered from their reliance upon a single image from Planck to supposedly eliminate all contamination, which hadn't even been released to the public yet, but at least in that case there was an *outside* group that could make an evaluation of BICEP2's ability to claim to have eliminated every other potential cause of the polarized pattern of light which they observed in their hardware. In this case however, only LIGO itself has the necessary information that is required to externally evaluate their claims, and they aren't discussing that information with the public. That's pretty cheesy.

If that short Reddit exchange, and the ISF commentary to date is any indication, they simply don't have any valid criticisms to offer about my paper. That by itself says volumes. There are at least three major scientific fails in the LIGO claim, and nobody really wants to discuss them in public. :)

They're definitely running scared.

Michael Mozina

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Mon May 22, 2017 8:38 am

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/fo ... stcount=47
Hotblack: This thread over on reddit provides a rather amusing discussion of the veto between MM and somebody actually knowledgeable.

[I can't post the url of the thread, but MM has posted the link a few times over at the thunderdolts forum]
Let me do that again for you in case anyone would like to read the actual thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Astronomy/comm ... idence_of/
The thread demolishes MM's recent "idea" that the LIGO veto was due to wicked scientists lying to protect their massive paychecks .
Ya know, when the very first comment about the thread is essentially a strawman, you gotta wonder if anything in the rest of the post is likely to be true. FYI, I didn't accuse them of lying to protect any "massive paychecks", if anything I accused them of lying to avoid having to deal with the 'safety" issue in any quantified manner, and to avoid any unpleasant conversations about the *purpose* of that veto during the peer review process. Period.
In the thread, MM in fact concedes that the veto is clearly not relevant,
No, I said it was not critically relevant to any the three *other* major problems in their methodology. The lack of an accurate account of events in the published paper does however undermine their scientific credibility and the lack of an explanation the specific purpose of that veto, and how it assigns 'confidence'" also undermines their scientific credibility. They simply *misrepresented* the historical record in the published paper and hid all the relevant facts from the peer reviewers. They clearly gave us a whitewashed account of veto events and they misrepresented the historical record in the published paper. I didn't claim that behavior was not relevant, I just noted that it has little or no effect on any of the three key methodology problems with that paper.
but that the real crime is that the paper does not detail the chain of events to his liking (as somebody who has never published in a real publication,
If you'd bothered to click on the ORCID link in that PDF, you'd know that statement is simply not true. Then again, I doubt you even care about being truthful. Attacking the messenger is always the easy low road. It just shows that you don't have any real counter arguments to any of the points I raised, and you're therefore reduced to trying to play 'kill the messenger". Do I smell desperation?
I imagine he is unfamiliar with paper length requirements and how the review process would likely remove mention of a genuinely irrelevant technical detail).
It's a *discovery in physics* paper for crying out loud, not just "any old paper"! It's not even just *one* paper, it's *many* of them. They'd surely have been given enough latitude to have included at *least* the LIGO magazine (or any accurate) account of events in the paper if they weren't so intent from hiding those facts from the peer reviewers while it was being peer reviewed. I suspect however that this was not done because it would have led to all those uncomfortable questions that I asked of LIGO and ThickTarget, and for which no response was ever given.

Why was that specific veto added in the first place, and what was it designed to filter out in the first place? Nobody wants to answer those questions because it would reveal too much about the probable cause of the veto, and you guys don't want anyone to know that there might be another environmental explanation for the same event. Best to instead give the peer reviewers and the public the snow job account of events and pretend everything is now "safe".
The very story short of the veto is simply that the team defines a property they call safety which is determined for all the various LIGO experiment data channels:

Quote:
"The safety of a veto is a measure of the likelihood that the veto criteria would accidentally remove a true gravitational wave signal.
How about a quantified explanation as to the odds that it removed an *untrue* signal, and removed the real environmental influence that it was designed to "veto" in the first place?
Veto safety is measured using hardware injection tests, where a signal is injected into h(t) by inducing motion of the optics [25, 26, 29]. If any auxiliary channels witness a corresponding response to a number of injected signals greater than expected by chance, these channels are considered unsafe and are not used in the denition of any applied veto. "
The LIGO magazine states:

Quote:
At 11:23:20 UTC, an analyst follow-up deter-mined which auxiliary channels were associated with iDQ’s decision. It became clear that these were un-calibrated versions of h(t) which had not been flagged as “unsafe” and were only added to the set of available low latency channels after the start of ER8. Based on the safety of the channels, the Data Quality Veto label was removed within 2.5 hours and analyses proceeded after re-starting by hand.
So the aux channel which triggered the veto was one of the uncalibrared versions of strain. These were not marked as unsafe when they were added at the last minute to the list of aux channels. Unsafe refers to a channel which responds to motion in the mirrors and could therefore swallow a real event, strain is of course unsafe because that's what measures the displacement mirror. Unsafe channels are not allowed to trigger a veto by definition. The veto was false due to the error of not flagging uncalibrated h(t) as unsafe.

That doesn't give anyone outside of LIGO any of the necessary information. We have no idea why the veto was created in the first place, why it was added to ER8 to start with, what it was designed to veto out to begin with, how it achieved a "high confidence' rejection of this exact signal, or any quantified definition of safety as it relates to *this specific* veto event. We've *never* seen any of that important information.
That is pretty much the whole story, the rest is just the impotent ramblings of MM.
Sure, and these aren't the droids you're looking for either. Give me a break.

This specific veto was installed for a *reason*, a *reason* that LIGO will not specify or explain to the public or to the peer reviewers. It's purpose was *never* explained, it's high confidence rejection was never explained, and no quantified definition of 'safety' related to their manual override was ever provided!
The thread is a pretty entertaining read. Beyond the veto issues, it reveals again how trying to understand science when one has almost zero mathematical knowledge
Yawn. More pure personal attack nonsense. You guys are utterly pathetic. You simply cannot handle an honest scientific debate so you simply *cheat* all the time by attacking the messenger and taking the conversation *off topic*. How frigging sad and how transparent of a motive.
leads to a range of amusing misunderstandings and, well combined with such obnoxious behaviour, pure comedy.
The "obnoxious behavior" is directly related to your side *attacking the messenger* rather than attacking the points that were raised in my paper. The need to bash *people* rather than attack the points raised is obnoxious.
The best bits are in particular:
1) MM simply cannot get the idea of standard deviation, and persists in stating that a sigma value expresses the probability of causation. Again and again he demands the authors use a sigma value to show the likelihood of x causing y.
No, I simply pointed out that the sigma calculation is utterly and totally devoid of addressing the cause, and it's not even capable of ruling out *all possible* environmental influences because all *other* vetoed timelines (besides the signal in question) were removed from the data set before the calculation was even made. It's a completely *unrelated* sigma calculation that means exactly *nothing* in terms of supporting the claim as to cause made by LIGO. It's a purely 'trumped up" sigma number that is totally irrelevant in terms of the claim being made.

At best case it might suggest that the signal was a 'real' event, but in no way does it suggest a cause. Furthermore, the veto of this specific signal suggests that it's probably related to a specific 'environmental' influence which the LIGO team did not want to discuss.
2) Stunning displays of zero knowledge of EM physics.
This criticism comes from the folks that think that "magnetic reconnection' is a plasma optional process, and who haven't been able to produce that non-zero rate of reconnection formula I asked for *over five years ago*! This comment comes from the folks that think that "pseudoscience" is real physics. This comment from the folks that need 95 percent placeholder terms for human ignorance because they lack a basic understanding of scattering processes in plasma, and any concept of how circuit theory is applied to plasma in space! This comment comes from the folks that let RC run around claiming that electrical discharges are "impossible" in plasma! Holy cow.
It is painfully explained to him that dipole radiation (mentioned in a paper MM cites) would not detectable through the interstellar medium.
The EM radiation from such an event wouldn't absolutely not be limited to low energy EM emissions in the first place, so that whole argument is pure nonsense. You still have no logical explanation as to why this supposedly 'celestial" event was never observed by anyone, anywhere, in any external hardware of any type. You've never bothered to address the blatant confirmation bias problem either.

What ThickTarget had to admit is that the sigma calculation is scientifically irrelevant, and they can't even logically differentiate between an ordinary "blip transient" observed by both detectors since day one, and a celestial event.

He simply *ran* (and so will you) from the whole confirmation bias problem of *requiring* that every *other* potential cause of the signal be "eliminated" from consideration due to a lack of external confirmation, while simply giving all celestial origin claims a free pass. You have to avoid even discussing the fact that they don't even have a categorization potential for "unknown cause", which simply highlights the highly biased nature of their method, and the fact that they've made celestial origin claims the "default" choice.

Specifically *what evidence* do you have to support LIGO's claim as to the *cause* of this signal, and how did you statically rule out ordinary "blip transient" events as the real culprit?

Now watch them all scatter and run.........

Roshi

Unread post by Roshi » Mon May 22, 2017 9:57 am

Reddit will always favor the mainstream view because of how the site is built. Mainstream will get the upvotes, and it will be visible. People like to feel that science is always progressing and soon they will live in a Jetsons universe. Anything contradicting mainstream is heresy and it will get downvotes, and will not be visible.

I was arguing at one time about relativity on a forum, and I was accused I want to scrap all scientific advances - including hot water, indoor toilets, and of course - the computer I was using to write (that was also accessible to me because of relativity). Because I was saying that science can make mistakes it meant I was some kind of primitivist hippie that wanted to "go back to the forest".

So - I mostly stopped arguing. People will find the truth when they are ready for it.

I recommend "Ascent of Humanity" by Charles Eisenstein:
http://ascentofhumanity.com/text/chapter-1/

Michael Mozina

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Mon May 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Roshi wrote:Reddit will always favor the mainstream view because of how the site is built. Mainstream will get the upvotes, and it will be visible. People like to feel that science is always progressing and soon they will live in a Jetsons universe. Anything contradicting mainstream is heresy and it will get downvotes, and will not be visible.

I was arguing at one time about relativity on a forum, and I was accused I want to scrap all scientific advances - including hot water, indoor toilets, and of course - the computer I was using to write (that was also accessible to me because of relativity). Because I was saying that science can make mistakes it meant I was some kind of primitivist hippie that wanted to "go back to the forest".

So - I mostly stopped arguing. People will find the truth when they are ready for it.

I recommend "Ascent of Humanity" by Charles Eisenstein:
http://ascentofhumanity.com/text/chapter-1/
I don't recall their even being any up/down votes on that particular thread actually.

I do think it was quite interesting and noteworthy that the only issue that they seem willing to discuss is the veto problem, and not the blip transient problem or the confirmation bias problems.

It would have been nice to get an explanation from LIGO (or anyone for that matter) about why that veto was added in the first place, what it was designed to "veto" in the first place, and why and how it achieved a "high confidence" rejection of that specific signal. Either way however, the sigma, blip transient and confirmation bias problems are apparently insurmountable problems for them. Thicktarget simply conceded the point that the sigma calculation is totally unrelated to cause, and he couldn't even explain how they can differentiate an ordinary blip transient for an extraordinary celestial event. I didn't even hear any *attempt* made to address the confirmation bias problem. Every *other* potential cause of the single was *eliminated* from further consideration based on a lack of external corroboration. Their own celestial origin claims however did not have to pass any such criteria, and they don't even allow for a categorization of 'unknown origin' on *any* signal, meaning the celestial origin claim is simply the "default" cause of their skewed method.

The fact that the sigma figure is basically meaningless pretty much destroys the claim by itself. That sigma figure doesn't even rule out all potential environmental influences as being the actual cause of the signal because they *filtered out* all vetoed times from the test set. There's literally exactly *no* (none, nada, zip) evidence whatsoever to support their claim about the *cause* of the signal.

The only thing that they offered is a mathematical model of a black hole merger that is essentially indistinguishable from an ordinary blip transient event.

The whole claim of "discovery" is a sham, and the sigma calculation which they provided is completely unrelated to their claim.

Michael Mozina

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Tue May 23, 2017 1:29 am

Roshi wrote:Reddit will always favor the mainstream view because of how the site is built. Mainstream will get the upvotes, and it will be visible. People like to feel that science is always progressing and soon they will live in a Jetsons universe. Anything contradicting mainstream is heresy and it will get downvotes, and will not be visible.
I went back and looked at the Reddit thread and I see what you mean about upvotes/downvotes. It was my first thread at Reddit so I wasn't even aware of how that worked. :) It's just as well I suppose. I had no illusions about being in the minority viewpoint when I wrote the paper. :)

I'm just wondering how long this invisible signal claim can go on before even the mainstream starts to notice a problem. :)

Michael Mozina

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Wed May 24, 2017 12:02 pm

JeanTate: I read, rather than skimmed, the whole reddit thread. Definitely worth a read.
Hey, at least we agree on one thing. :)
This part is particularly stunning, given then MM has been banging on about the EU this, plasma physics that, for at least a decade. A couple of bits are really, really worth quoting:
Originally Posted by ThickTarget
If you read the paper careful you see they talk about dipole radiation with a frequency the same as the GW. At such extremely low frequencies the radiation won't make it far before being absorbed by plasma opacity because it's well below the plasma frequency of the ISM. You would have to do detailed modelling to figure out what would be emitted but also even if it wasn't absorbed the frequency is below any radio transient search.
"the paper" is something MM found, predicting EM radiation from a BH-BH merger event.
MM's response is pure comedy gold (given his thousands of strong statements about how well he understand electromagnetism, plasma physics, etc):
Originally Posted by MM
Um, where exactly did you get the opacity claim from again? That sounds like something that you simply made up as an ad-hoc rationalization.
(my bold)
Talk about pure red herrings and ridiculous arguments. The terms opaque and opacity never appear once in the entire paper, and their paper places no specified limitations as the energy state of *all* of the EM radiations that might come from such events. The purpose of the paper I cited was simply to get some type of rough estimate as to what *ratio* of EM radiation vs. gravitational wave emissions we might hope to see from charged black hole mergers. Nowhere in the entire paper in question will you find a quote from the authors that includes the term "opacity" or "opaque", or which claims that *only* low energy EM emissions might be expected to come from such an event. It's simply a rough estimation paper related to the ratio of EM radiation vs. gravitational wave emissions we might expect to see, and their calculations would insist that such events would *overwhelmingly* generate more EM emissions than gravitational wave emissions.

Imagine for a moment two massive and highly charged objects slamming into to each other in terms of the electrical discharge process we might hope to see. Electrical discharges in the Earth's atmosphere emit gamma rays, x-rays, and pretty much every energy state imaginable and so would electrical discharges from plasma in spacetime.

Thicktarget's entire argument is a pure strawman argument because the authors of the paper never made the two specific claims that he's making as to specifically which EM emissions we might hope to observe from such an event or whether or not we would expect to see any of those EM emissions from such events.

Somehow you folks expect me to believe that a hypothetical celestial event which emits the energy equivalent of three entire solar masses in a quarter of a second in gravitational waves alone isn't going to light up the sky like a Christmas tree in the EM spectrum, nor emit any detectable neutrino emissions. That would require an "electrical discharge", and mass merger process between the two massive objects involving the most *epic* of special circumstances.

The lack of a visual confirmation of LIGO's claim as to cause relates right back into their unrelated (to cause) sigma calculation which is then combined with a completely *biased* method of elimination that is being used in their 'method', where all potential local "environmental" influences are *eliminated* from consideration based on a lack of external corroboration, whereas all cosmological claims are excluded from elimination entirely! It's pure confirmation bias on a stick, in fact it's a textbook example of confirmation bias. Even the lack of a category of "unknown cause" speaks *volumes* as to the complete biased nature of LIGO's claims.

You guys are absolutely *desperate* to be relying upon pure strawman arguments and absurd assumptions about the merger process that you're claiming took place.

Let's recap for a moment. In addition to the bizarre whitewashed veto accounts, there are *four* major scientific flaws in that LIGO paper:

1. The sigma calculation is completely and totally unrelated to the claim as to cause being made by LIGO, and that sigma calculation is completely incapable of ruling out all potential environmental factors as the cause of the signal.

2. LIGO has provided no certain logical way to distinguish between ordinary blip transient events and gravitational waves in their method.

3. You have no logical explanation for your lack of any type of visual or neutrino confirmation of LIGO's claims of a celestial event being related to this signal.

4. The method is entirely biased in favor of all cosmological claims, and entirely biased against all non-cosmological claims as to cause.

Meanwhile you folks play legaleze word games with purely strawman arguments and try to play "bash the messenger". How sad for you that you're reduced to such childish nonsense, and such absurd arguments.

Michael Mozina

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Wed May 24, 2017 12:53 pm

Selfsim: His sigma hangup was explanined to him about 1.5 years ago. As a contribution to readers of this thread, (and as a recap put to MM at CFs), the 'sigma' is simply the probability of statistical noise imitating a signal. Specifically it relates to the lasers interacting with the mirrors. Lasers, (=light), possess a statistical nature in which the number of photons striking the mirrors and their momentum vary, which causes a variable pressure exerted on the mirrors. This can result in a measureable strain that could resemble a GW.

The more photons striking the mirrors, the less the probability of this statistical noise imitating the GW signal. It’s like tossing a coin and the outcome is random.
(Eg: if one tosses a coin ten times, the expected outcome is 5 heads and 5 tails. However there is a probability of tossing 10 heads or ten tails in a row which might be construed as being non random or a “real signal”.
So effectively you've confidently ruled out exactly *one* possible cause of the signal with 5+ sigma certainty. You could have added more 'quite days' and eliminated that *one* possible cause with more certainty, maybe even a 6 or 7 sigma certainty. So what? There are still an infinite number of other possible causes of that signal which that specific sigma calculation doesn't address or eliminate.
Tossing a coin 100 times however, the odds of straight heads or tails is astronomical and therefore far less likely to be considered non random).
That is absolutely *false*! You only eliminated *one* possible cause with that specific sigma calculation, not all possible environmental influences, nor have you provided *any* evidence at all to support your assertion that this signal is "astronomical" in origin! You're ignoring the fact that your sigma calculation is based upon *clean* data, and *non-vetoed" times, so it cannot be used to eliminate all other potential environmental factors! You have *zero* evidence from this sigma calculation that the "cause" of this signal is related to anything astronomical/cosmological in origin.
LIGO were able to calculate the 5.1 sigma value from the 16 days of clean data, where there was no GW signal or any external noise relating to earthquakes, or Mozina's 'power variations', 'whistler waves', or any other gobbledygook he grabs in the moment to escape confronting his denials.
And since they cleaned all those potential causes of the signal from the sigma calculations, they have no way to know if other environmental influences might have generated the same kind of signal over whole data set (all days) and including all vetoed events.
The calculations were based purely on the statistical noise involving the lasers and the mirrors.
And that *one* issue is all their sigma calculations can rule out. It can't be used to rule out *anything else* as to the possible cause of the signal.
Now, what Mozina's looking for is akin to: 'What is the probability (and associated confidence level) that there are not other things which could emulate the actually detected signal?'
This is kind of like a face recognition/pattern matching approach .. or DNA matching, etc .. 'what is the chance the thing we detected, is not actually what we expected, or were looking for, (where what we were looking, for came from the theoretical prediction)?'
It's more like accepting the fact that you've ruled out one possible person based on the lack of match to their DNA, but you've only ruled out one possible individual from consideration, and then you pointed as some guy randomly and claimed they personally must have done it without any logical way to rule out the rest of planet Earth.
In other words: 'what is the error figure between the theoretically predicted GW signal, and what we actually received?'
Nope. That's a strawman argument because you cannot mathematically distinguish between very ordinary blip transient events which have been routinely observed by both detectors, and your mass merger models! They produce the same patterns and there are no vetoes associated with blip transients.
The hilarity comes from Mozina's 'leaning' towards preferring the electricity grid cause, hence his asking the question: 'What is the probability of it being a non GW signal', is completely superfluous.
Huh? I simply noted that the signal could be related to anything, and I suggested in my paper that it's probably "blip transient" related. I originally assumed it could be any type of EM event before I read their paper, but I think they make a pretty good case that it's an EM related feature caused by the US power grid. It still *could* be anything because I'm not personally making any claims as to cause, I'm simply pointing out the four major scientific flaws in the LIGO paper.
Once the European interferometer comes on line and the electricity grid can no longer be used as an excuse, he will simply find some other mechanism.
Oh man am I looking forward to having three detectors online. That will allow us to "test" LIGO's *assumption* that blip transients cannot *ever*, under *any* circumstances be observed by more than one detector at a time. It will also constrain the hell out of them with respect to all cosmological claims. They won't be able to just handwave at a wide region of the sky, rather they should be able to triangulate any such signal to a specific location in the sky where the supposedly cosmological event should occur.
Mozina’s biases are not motivated by any genuine scientific enquiry,
That's pure nonsense and you really suck as a mind reader.
but a long winded smokescreen to cover up his original lie that LIGO never considered electromagnetic impulses.
They didn't provide any logical means to eliminate them, or earthquakes or anything else for that matter. That specific sigma calculation was *utterly useless* in it's present form.
I recommend reading sjastro's post immediately before that one (here), which focused on the Bullet Cluster evidence. The CMB dipole and galaxy rotation curves also came up here in posts#167 and 168).
Don't even get me started with the *six different* mass estimation problems in your baryonic mass estimation techniques of galaxies in that Bullet Cluster study, or galaxy rotation patterns. You folks are living in pure denial of all those massive errors you made in 2006, and every lab "test" of your claim that has occurred in the past decade. Billions were spent, and nothing was found, so you keep burying your collective heads in the sand to all those NULL lab results.
Mozina's denials go way beyond his lack of mathematical modelling expertise. He's actually incapable of seeing the evidence, even when its as plain as the nose on one's face!
And of course we have the obligatory attack on the individual which is all you folks can ever hope to do. Don't think for a moment that I haven't noticed that you all have avoided the *huge* blip transient problem in the LIGO paper, the complete lack of a visual or neutrino confirmation of LIGO's claim, and the blatant confirmation bias problems in their methodology.

All you've done so far is make lame excuses for LIGO's inaccurate account of veto events in their published paper, and you've essentially admitted that the sigma calculation they provided is almost (not quite) entirely pointless. That calculation is totally unrelated to the claim as to cause that LIGO is making. Furthermore, LIGO is also incapable of ruling out all other potential environmental influences in any quantified way since that sigma doesn't rule out anything *other than* the one possible contamination method that you discussed. That admission alone is *devastating* to LIGO's claim, and they've got three more major scientific problems with that paper, *besides* the whitewash of the veto of this specific signal in the published account of events.

Michael Mozina

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Thu May 25, 2017 9:51 am

SelfSim: There are other forms of noise considered by the LIGO in coming up with the sigma figure also. For example, the thermal noise due to the vibrational modes for both the suspension strings and the masses.

There other types of noise, both external and statistical .. see LIGO's Noise sources paper here.
While you might be able to make a case that it's reasonable to use that sigma calculation method to eliminate *internal* contamination from the hardware of the detectors themselves as the cause of the signal, the method they used specifically *removed* non-quiet days, and vetoed times from the data set, so it *cannot* be used to eliminate any *external* (to the hardware itself) potential causes of that signal based upon that sigma calculation. In short every *external* environmental factor remains on the table in terms of the cause of that signal, and nothing about the sigma calculation helps you eliminate any external influences at all.
(Of course Mozina has attempted to dismiss my previous comments here on noise (in his corresponding CFs post), by hyperbolising as a means of ignoring the true physical constraints:
"There are still an infinite number of other possible causes of that signal which that specific sigma calculation doesn't address or eliminate". )
It may not be an "infinite" number, but it's certainly a *large* number, and the blip transient problem is huge. There's not even a veto method that can detect them, there's no explanation for them, and they create the same basic signal in terms of frequency and duration. How "confident" can you possibly be that it's not a blip transient event?

That sigma is *not* even applicable to any external potential cause of that signal, not even one external environmental influence, because the *noisy days and vetoed times were already stripped from the data set before the sigma was even calculated*. If they'd left in those noisy days and vetoed times in the sigma test set, you might be able to claim that their sigma calculations has some bearing on known environmental contamination, but since the removed that data, you've got no evidence whatsoever to support their claim that gravitational waves did it, or that the sigma is relevant to the claim being made by LIGO.

Even the process of elimination method that was applied to every other potential environmental cause of the signal was *not ever applied* to any cosmological claims, making their whole process of elimination method biased in favor of all cosmological claims, and biased against all other possible environmental causes of the signal.

*With* a visual or neutrino confirmation of your claim, you might have an actual "discovery" on your hands, and you might have some justification for claiming that the signal was celestial in origin. Without it, you've got exactly *no evidence whatsoever* to support cosmological claims, and a gigantic confirmation bias problem.

Michael Mozina

My conversation with SelfSim is continuing at CF.

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Fri May 26, 2017 12:29 pm

FYI, for anyone interested, my conversation with SelfSim continues here:

https://www.christianforums.com/threads ... 018/page-3

crudebuster

Re: My conversation with SelfSim is continuing at CF.

Unread post by crudebuster » Sat May 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Michael Mozina wrote:FYI, for anyone interested, my conversation with SelfSim continues here:

Greetings.
I've been watching this movement from a lurker position for a few years and I'm convinced that you're fighting the good fight, my friend.

All their sarcasm, their childish accusations of dumbness about the mainstream terms, (mis)calculations and pure attacks, fallacies and scorn through these years have made you a tough set of fangs on their fat throats.

Forgive me for the off topic but I know that you've got many years to come on the fight and it won't ever get easier.

So stay strong my friend. We'll push the truth in their thick skulls an inch per decade and they'll admit the big fat lie they're pushing through textbooks using science.

Not their travesty of science, but the true science, perhaps forgotten in a desk between the pages of some old book they ignore because doesn't fit their popscience fiction anymore.

Michael Mozina

Re: My conversation with SelfSim is continuing at CF.

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Tue May 30, 2017 3:01 pm

crudebuster wrote:
Michael Mozina wrote:FYI, for anyone interested, my conversation with SelfSim continues here:

Greetings.
I've been watching this movement from a lurker position for a few years and I'm convinced that you're fighting the good fight, my friend.

All their sarcasm, their childish accusations of dumbness about the mainstream terms, (mis)calculations and pure attacks, fallacies and scorn through these years have made you a tough set of fangs on their fat throats.

Forgive me for the off topic but I know that you've got many years to come on the fight and it won't ever get easier.

So stay strong my friend. We'll push the truth in their thick skulls an inch per decade and they'll admit the big fat lie they're pushing through textbooks using science.

Not their travesty of science, but the true science, perhaps forgotten in a desk between the pages of some old book they ignore because doesn't fit their popscience fiction anymore.
Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. :)

Zyxzevn

Unread post by Zyxzevn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:17 am

LIGO "found" a new gravitational wave.. (on January 4, 2017)

GW170104: Observation of a 50-Solar-Mass Binary Black Hole Coalescence at Redshift 0.2

https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/1 ... 118.221101

Redshift 0.2 is quite near, I think, and should be visible.
The actual signal time is only 0.01 sec. (signal>noise, after filters)
Signal stretched out using Fourier and statistics 0.10 sec.

Frequency of actual signal: 100 Hz
Frequency of noise: 200 Hz.

We can see again that the noise frequency is very similar to the signal.
In fact, in the end of the "wave", the signal continues, but is considered part of the noise.

It would be interesting to do good frequency analysis of the LIGO-system.
I suspect it can produce "chirp" signals from simple shocks or pulses.
Hint: the Fourier filter does not remove systematic noise.

Around the same day we had a no major solar flares, but a big coronal hole
and severe weather. 6.9 earthquake Fiji (opposite side of Earth).
Jan 3 2017
Jan 4 2017
More ** from zyxzevn at: Paradigm change and C@

Michael Mozina

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:31 am

Zyxzevn wrote:LIGO "found" a new gravitational wave.. (on January 4, 2017)

GW170104: Observation of a 50-Solar-Mass Binary Black Hole Coalescence at Redshift 0.2

https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/1 ... 118.221101

Redshift 0.2 is quite near, I think, and should be visible.
The actual signal time is only 0.01 sec. (signal>noise, after filters)
Signal stretched out using Fourier and statistics 0.10 sec.

Frequency of actual signal: 100 Hz
Frequency of noise: 200 Hz.

We can see again that the noise frequency is very similar to the signal.
In fact, in the end of the "wave", the signal continues, but is considered part of the noise.

It would be interesting to do good frequency analysis of the LIGO-system.
I suspect it can produce "chirp" signals from simple shocks or pulses.
Hint: the Fourier filter does not remove systematic noise.

Around the same day we had a no major solar flares, but a big coronal hole
and severe weather. 6.9 earthquake Fiji (opposite side of Earth).
Jan 3 2017
Jan 4 2017
Oh Joy! Yet another entirely invisible event from the supposed merger of two invisible objects. :)

This is becoming almost comical now were it not so sad. They are apparently 0 for 3 in terms of visual confirmation, and they are now 3 for 3 in terms of pure confirmation bias.

What a sad state of affairs. They keep having to justify their first claim by making more of them, and not a single one of their claims enjoys so much as a shred of real empirical support. Their whole methodology is so messed up it's not even funny. Every *other* potential cause of any signal must include *evidence* in the form of external support or it's systematically rejected as an option, whereas all celestial claims are exempt from elimination. Gah. What a bunch of bogus and biased nonsense.

I'm definitely seeing a distinct pattern. They can't visually verify *any* of their claims because not a single one of the signals was ever celestial in origin to start with. :)