Einstein on Relativity

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

scowie

Re: Einstein on Relativity

Unread post by scowie » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:45 am

Zyxzevn wrote:assume constant speed of light for all observers.
Well, if you assume that, as Einsteinian relativity does, then your thought experiment has no bearing on reality and you can expect these paradoxes to arise. You have created a problem with no solution. The Michelson & Gale experiment shows us that, down here on earth, light moves at a constant speed with respect to an effective absolute frame of reference, the non-rotating centre of the earth, and not the observer.

A paradox is a disproof of a model — one thing that Einstein devotees refuse to acknowledge. They just find them amusing but to me these abstract scenarios are just tiresome. If I want to delve into a world of make-believe I will read one of Terry Pratchett's DIscworld novels — they are much more entertaining! ;)

Mjolnir

Unread post by Mjolnir » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:15 pm

ZenMonkeyNZ wrote: We could just as easily say there were two stationary observers, one at M and one at M - vt (i.e. closer to A than B). Both observe the event timings differently, but that doesn't make the event timings dependent on the position of the observer![/b]
I just wondered if perhaps you were typing too quickly there. Did you mean "speed" where you wrote "position"? because unless I read your post totally wrong, that's what makes sense. To me, at least. I think. Maybe.

ZenMonkeyNZ

Unread post by ZenMonkeyNZ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:20 pm

Mjolnir wrote:
ZenMonkeyNZ wrote: We could just as easily say there were two stationary observers, one at M and one at M - vt (i.e. closer to A than B). Both observe the event timings differently, but that doesn't make the event timings dependent on the position of the observer![/b]
I just wondered if perhaps you were typing too quickly there. Did you mean "speed" where you wrote "position"? because unless I read your post totally wrong, that's what makes sense. To me, at least. I think. Maybe.
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I have been away from the forum for a bit – too much reading and writing to fit in around kids and life-in-general.

In that example I did mean "position" as I wrote it, and not "speed". It was in relation to Einstein discussing the time at which events were measured to occur. I was simply pointing out the problem with conflating the measurement of the time of an event with the actual time of the event. This kind of conflation is inconsistent with the law of identity. An event occurs when it occurs. If you measure some aspect of the occurrence at a later time, that just means some flow-on effect took place at the position and time of measurement. The event itself (which you can limit by whatever arbitrary definition you choose) occurs when it occurs, irregardless of any measurement.

I have included below some writing on metrology, from a philosophy of science treatise I am working on, to clarify the idea of RELATIVE COMPENSATION OF MEASUREMENT that I was getting at in earlier posts. Excuse the length.

METROLOGY

Metrology is the study of measurement. From its root we derive the basic unit of measure for space – the metre. As with all forms of abstraction, it is vital to examine what measure entails, and understand its role in scientific methodology.

Measurement is the means by which we record quantitative comparisons of certain properties or relationships between physical bodies or systems. These properties or relationships form the basis for theory, but their measurement also provides the means by which theory can be tested. There are three main properties or relationships we measure: mass, length (or distance or displacement), and time. These relate to the fundamental physical notions of science: force, space and time.

In order to make a meaningful comparison between bodies or events, a baseline measurement must be created. This is known as a standard. How this is practically achieved is largely arbitrary. Ancient methods of measurement used commonly available objects or natural cycles as standards against which other spacial things or temporal happenings could be measured. The royal cubit in Egypt was defined as seven palms (shep or shesep) wide, each of four fingers width. Likewise the palm (palms minor) was one of the units of measure used by the Romans, and today the hand is still a common unit of measure for horse height – although it has a precise standardised unit equivalent. In many cultures prior to the invention of mechanical clocks, an hour was defined as one-twelfth of the daylight hours of a day – so in summer an hour was longer than in winter, and the length of an hour also varied according to latitude. Distance (length) was measured in yards, leagues, miles, furlongs, hands, chains, bolts, reeds, paces, and so on. The length of each of these was a set standard by which other lengths or distances could be compared.

After the French Revolution, the French National Assembly attempted to organise a standardised set of weights and measures. This led to the establishment and proliferation of the decimal system, which is the basis of metrology today. The standardisation of units was also a major concern for the growing industrialisation of manufacturing practices and the mass-production that flourished in the nineteenth century.

<<SOME TEXT REMOVED HERE>>

Relative Compensation of Measurement

We must also be aware of the fact that all quantitative measuring devices – whether clocks that measure “ticks” from decaying isotopes, or physical measuring rods – are prone to environmental effects. Atomic clocks were originally thought to be accurate and steady enough to be considered constant (relative to the quantity of matter currently decaying), but even gross variations in the environment such as the time of year were found to affect them. Although nuclear decay is steady enough to be considered constant for most purposes, that assumption should have raised reg flags when investigating areas that relied on great precision or extremely long periods of time. The reason is simple – since the mechanism(s) of nuclear decay is/are not understood, we are necessarily ignorant of every possible source of variation. Physical measuring standards are potentially affected by everything that affects the physical geometry of matter or the transfer of energy. We should assume that all forms of measurement are, or could be, affected. Absence of evidence of variation is not evidence of absence.

It is vital to understand this: standards of measure are relative, and physical effects on relative measure must be compensated for.

Failure to fully appreciate the implications of this has led to unreal theories in physics that have created paradoxes. There are no paradoxes in nature. Nature is what it is – this is the first and fundamental law of thought. A paradox is something that both is, and is not, in the same sense and at the same time. Paradoxes should serve as an indication that theory has strayed unacceptably far from reality, even if it has remained mathematically viable.

What do I mean by physical effects on relative measure must be compensated for?

A physical standard for the metre, one of our fundamental units of measure, was defined by a physical metal rod for nearly two centuries. It was created to be equal to one ten-millionth of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator, following a meridian line cutting through Paris, France. This rod (known as the mètre des Archives) was made from platinum, and later a platinum-iridium alloy, and was kept in the French National Archives and later the Bureau International des Poids et Mesures. By 1890 several platinum-iridium standard copies had been created, with the official standard kept in France, and the other bars distributed around the world. These were accurate to within ~0.2 micrometres.

So what were the physical effects that affected this standard? The obvious (noticeable) ones were temperature and pressure. At 30°C any given standard rod would be longer than at 0°C. This is due to the fact that temperature is indicative of the average motion of bulk particles. The greater the amplitude of vibration or movement of particles within a physical object, the more the structure of the object expands. This expansion is limited largely by the structure (cohesiveness and elasticity) of the molecules making up the object, but is also slightly limited by the pressure of the surrounding environment. Thus, at a high altitude (low pressure) a standard rod would be also longer than at sea level (higher pressure). Hence, the standard for the metre was also defined by certain environmental attributes. For the platinum-iridium rod these were defined as a temperature of 0°C and standard atmospheric pressure (~ sea level). These were not the only environmental effects on the standard rod, but given the precision of measurement available (about 10-7m), they were the ones that mattered.

Physical effects such as these are what create the need for compensation of relative measure. The relative aspect refers to the measuring rod itself, not the object being measured. Physical considerations such as temperature and pressure will also affect any measured objects, but since every type of substance is affected differently, those differences are measured separately against the standard rod. Different types of materials are given expansion coefficients, for example, based on these environmental effects as given by the actual measured difference. These measured effects require us to incorporate the measuring device compensation we are discussing here.

If we take a given object and measure its length using a standard measuring rod at standard pressure, but that is heated to 30°C instead of 0°C (irrespective of what temperature the object is at), we will have a measured length (Lmeasure). However, we know that the measured length (Lmeasure) is not the object’s actual length (Lactual), because our rod is not in the state defined as its standard. In this case Lmeasure < Lactual because the standard rod is longer (expanded) than its defined standard value due to its temperature. If the measuring rod is longer than its standard value, then anything measured by it will be measured as shorter than the actual length as defined by the standard.

<<MISSING DIAGRAM>>

Since we can measure the length changes that take place within a standard rod using other standardised rods that are in their defined standard states, we can assign a function of change (Fchange) for any given factor affecting our measuring standard, such as temperature. Then we can say Lmeasure . Fchange = Lactual. In this way the physical effects on relative measure (i.e. those affecting our measuring standard) are compensated for. As an example, our function might show that at 30°C a metre standard is actually 1.00026 m in length. In this case we can say that for a measured object Lactual = Lmeasure x (1 + 0.00026).

In the case above a function of change (Fchange) can be given by the basic equation for the linear expansion of material (▵L) added to the standard length (1 metre). This gives a good approximation of the change in length of our standard rod due to temperature.

▵L = L0 • σ • (T1-T0)

Where: L0 is the original length (or in our case, the standardised unit of measure – one metre)
σ is the expansion co-efficient for the material – for platinum-iridium 90/10 at our stated temperatures and pressure it is ~ 8.7 x 10-6
T1 and T0 are the starting temperature (T0, or our defined standard temperature) and the final temperature (T1, the temperature our measuring rod is actually at).

<<MISSING CALCULATION GRAPHIC>>

The metre is now defined by a time relationship and the speed of light. It is taken as the distance light travels in 1 / 299,792,458 of a second in a vacuum. In other words, a light second is defined as 299,792,458 metres. The reasoning behind this methodology relies on two premises – that time can be measured more accurately than length (which, for practical purposes, is currently correct), and that the speed of light is constant and isotropic (non-relative). Light speed is usually defined as an isotropic constant, so this works mathematically within the formalism of Special Relativity (SR). A problem arises when we question the formalism of SR, however, for light is anisotropic when not analysed using the formalism of SR. This has led to some confusion in physics. We shall look at this in more detail in a later section of LIGHT . . .

Intro to this material can be found here: http://danmesnage.wix.com/coming-soon-pos

DM

Mjolnir

Unread post by Mjolnir » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:44 am

Hi ZenMonkey,

It has, as you say, been a while, so I had to read this thread again to try to figure out what on earth I could have meant.To no avail, I'm afraid. Reading carefully, you obviously meant "position" and it makes perfect sense. This confusion on my part doesn't bode well fro what I'm going to sey here, but I'll say it anyway.

I'm not sure that your argument completely blows SR out of the water, not at the first blow anyway.Your two stationary observers are of course in the same frame of reference. It is exactly the (relative) motion of the observers that is supposed to somehow make for the reltivity of simultaneity and the other stuff.
I also think Einstein doesn't confuse the timing of the event with the timing of the observation, at least not in as simple a way as you describe. He clearly is aware of the difference.
I am not sure how far truths of metrology will get you either. All the reativist has to do is to add the formula "in the observer's frame of reference" or something similar.
You mention that the definition of the meter depends on us being able to meassure time more reliably than length. That it is a "practical" definition, not a "logical" (wrong word?) one. Louis Essen, who developed the first atomic clocks, and who was very critical of SR, would agree, I think. It makes me wonder, though. How do we know that our meassurement of time is reliable? How is it determined? Maybe you know.Essen, by the way, critisized SR along the same lines as you, saying something like "this simply is not the way we synchronize clocks". He went on to describe how it should have been done, but I didn't really understand his setup.

There are a lot of people who claim to disprove Einstein/Relativity around here. I find it all very interesting, and it has a certain ring of truth to it, but unfortunately I am practically ignorant of mathematics and physics, so most of these proofs simply goes above my head. Because of this I probably should let the subject alone, but then Einstein himself comes along with his thought-experiments that it seems anyone should be able to grasp. And here I return to the original subject of this thread.

Discussions of relatvity are frequently very confusing. SR and GR gets mixed together; postulates come in several variants; etc.etc.

I think it's a good idea to concentrate on Einstein's own papers.

But I also think "Einstein on relativity" is really difficult to read. Normally, when you try to understand some proposal, you need to have a sympathetic attitude, you need to assume that it makes sense. So when something seems preposturous, you need to back up and see if you missed something.
I have been returning to these texts off and on for the last few years trying to clear up questions like "What is meant by 'as seen from the embankment'" or "Why does he need to 'place' the observer on the train in the middle of the train". Sometimes I can make a little progress, but most of the time I feel the whole thing is a self-contradictory mess. Einstein certainly doesn't make things easy for the reader. He leaves out specifying what frame of reference he is talking about, says things like "But in *reality* the light from A reaches the observer before the light from B", etc.
So I'm left to wonder why for instance:

Why doesn't he simply state that the observer on the train will also see the flashes simultaneously, in compliance with his postulates? It is a thought experiment, right? Nothing can happen that violates the postulates. (I know, the relativity of simultaneity. But isn't that supposed to be the conclusion, not a premise?) Perhaps I misunderstand the second postulate; Einstein really says the speed of light is independent of the movement of the *source*, he only says it is "the same" for all observers. Maybe I'm missing something here.

I think Einstein omits mentioning it, but I was under the impression that the length of the train is supposed to be contracted *as seen from the embankment* that is, in the embankment frame of reference. But hasn't the length AB of the train just been *meassured* to be exactly the length of AB on the embankment in the embankment frame, even using an "electromagnetic" gizmo as mentioned by saul and querious earlier? And the speed of the train was of course the same then as when its observer registered the light signals, whenever that was. So what is this contraction of lengths supposed to be in relation to? I probably have gotten this backwards somehow.

As I have previously demonstrated, even my reading ability seems to be impaired, so I try not to read too much into my own confusion.

Chan Rasjid

Unread post by Chan Rasjid » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:54 am

Hello Mjolnir,

Most physicists would not dispute that physics is deterministic and should be based on the laws of nature. The problem of man is always related to the conditional "should". But what should have been done was not done and what should not be done was completed! The scientific method should be followed but it was discarded!

The affairs of man in many situations is not determined by what should be or what should not be, but by who has the say and who has the influence to determine what is to be accepted. This is the general situations with the affairs of man in society.

The physics that is taught in the universities and promoted to the public is what the mainstream has chosen to promote as the correct physics. Of course, there will always be honest professors somewhere trying to do a good job. But the mainstream media never publish any articles that refute Einstein or the Big Bang - never. It is not about mainstream physics being correct and the alternative physics of the dissidents wrong - it is about who has the influence to promote what they choose to promote.

How many of us have the mathematics to really independently confirm if Einstein's general relativity is correct - most of us do not. We only choose to believe, choosing to believe in the Ivy league professors or that of the alternative physics of the dissidents - we make decisions and then take sides believing we have made a wise decision. So very few know the real physics behind GR or the Big Bang "singularity". I personally have made my choice - I choose to dismiss Einstein's relativity theories.
Mjolnir wrote: I think it's a good idea to concentrate on Einstein's own papers.
1) Einstein's original 1905 paper - if there had been the most rudimentary peer-review, it certainly would be dismissed - the world would not have to deal with things like the twins paradox, time dilation and length contraction; there would not have been a physics known as "special relativity". Many qualified physicists have pointed out why the 1905 paper is "non-physics" and it is silly for me to repeat and give all the links - people in general will continue to believe in what they have chosen to believe (if you're a Christian at 40, you'll likely die a Christian. If you're a Muslim at 40, you'll likely die a Muslim).
2) Einstein's derivation of the Lorentz transformation from his two postulates - Many have shown Einstein's attempt was a failure - it could not be done and special relativity is nothing other than the Lorentz transformation.
3) E = mc² - even Einstein's attempt here had been shown to be flawed.

So that's about the originality of Einstein's work.
Mjolnir wrote: But I also think "Einstein on relativity" is really difficult to read.
Einstein certainly doesn't make things easy for the reader. He leaves out specifying what frame of reference he is talking about, says things like "But in *reality* the light from A reaches the observer before the light from B", etc. So I'm left to wonder why for instance.
When a scientific paper that is accepted for publishing, it has to be well written; if it is well written, there is no room for ambiguity unless it is inherent in the physics. Isaac Newton's "Principia" was a huge piece of work and I have not once read anyone complaining there was any issue of clarity about what Newton wanted to say.

In general, people only choose to believe and the world chooses to promote what it wishes to promote.

Best regards,
Chan Rasjid.

querious

Unread post by querious » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:04 am

Chan Rasjid wrote:In general, people only choose to believe and the world chooses to promote what it wishes to promote.
The "world" can't choose anything. It's only people that choose (and promote), period.

ZenMonkeyNZ

Unread post by ZenMonkeyNZ » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:30 pm

Mjolnir wrote:I think it's a good idea to concentrate on Einstein's own papers.
Yes, definitely. I always like reading primary material, and I think it is very important when trying to understand particular theories. I hated the fact that high school and university science courses hardly made any reference to primary source material, and professors just explained theories, or went straight into the maths.

There were a lot of refutations to SR and GR by mainstream scientists, particularly before the 1960s, and many of these raise some common and reasonable objections, but they tend to be published in less "popular" (for lack of a better word) journals or in books. Herbert Ives published a few good papers in the Journal of the Optical Society of America, for example. I think you are on the right track – reading both Einstein and direct criticisms like those of Essen. For me, being able to make direct comparisons between the original works and criticisms works well.

Mjolnir

Unread post by Mjolnir » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:30 am

ZenMonkeyNZ wrote: Herbert Ives published a few good papers in the Journal of the Optical Society of America, for example.
First time I hear about him. Just checked the Wikipedia article. Seems his work ended up being taken as a confirmation of relativity. A bit tragic. And a pretty biased Wikipedia article.

Mjolnir

Roshi

Unread post by Roshi » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:47 am

http://www.universetoday.com/119068/how ... -of-light/
Spacetime is not expanding with respect to anything outside of itself, so the the speed of light as a limit on its velocity doesn’t apply. Yes, galaxies outside of our Hubble sphere are receding from us faster than the speed of light. But the galaxies themselves aren’t breaking any cosmic speed limits. To an observer within one of those galaxies, nothing violates special relativity at all. It is the space in between us and those galaxies that is rapidly proliferating and stretching exponentially.
So - when I travel on a highway, it's not me that's moving, but the "space is stretching"... This means I can't violate any speed limits...

How can they know what's "outside"? Isn't the "big bang" a law of physics? Stating something like "Big-bangs are possible!". So, how do they know there is not another universe outside the limit light has traveled from our own? They don't, they just make up stuff so nobody breaks the "speed limit". In case someone breaks it - suddenly they say that he was not moving, in fact "space was stretching".... What does that mean exactly, physically not mathematically?

What about the opposite ends of the Universe? No speed limit violation there either I presume, space is just "stretching". In fact there is no stretching, and there is no space-time, only space:
http://phys.org/news/2011-04-scientists ... nsion.html

ZenMonkeyNZ

Unread post by ZenMonkeyNZ » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Roshi wrote:http://www.universetoday.com/119068/how ... -of-light/
Spacetime is not expanding with respect to anything outside of itself, so the the speed of light as a limit on its velocity doesn’t apply. Yes, galaxies outside of our Hubble sphere are receding from us faster than the speed of light. But the galaxies themselves aren’t breaking any cosmic speed limits. To an observer within one of those galaxies, nothing violates special relativity at all. It is the space in between us and those galaxies that is rapidly proliferating and stretching exponentially.
So - when I travel on a highway, it's not me that's moving, but the "space is stretching"... This means I can't violate any speed limits...
Here's my take on it:

SPEED LIMITS: This comes back to the basic notion of velocity, which is a relative concept – the velocity of a body only contains meaning with respect to another body or set of bodies (a frame of reference). Thus, a speed limit has no meaning except with relation to an absolute frame of reference. The only absolute frame of reference that has any physical meaning is the frame of reference which is the sum of all matter (mass/energy) in the universe. Some people prefer to include the notion of an ether, which can have merit, but is another concept that should be approached carefully.

EXPANDING SPACE: Expanding space plays on the notion that space is a thing, rather than a relationship. Ultimately there is only one thing – the universe – but all experience is predicated on that one thing being non-uniform. The realist approach of natural philosophy implies that although common (inter-subjective) experience can be interpreted in any number of ways, it is assumed that there is an underlying reality that gives rise to shared common experiences. Non-uniformity and change (motion) are the most fundamental experiences that we share, and hence can be (and were) taken as axioms upon which to build a natural philosophy – and from these we get the basic physical concepts of space, time and force.

To say that the relationship by which we experience non-uniformity (space) is expanding is nonsensical. The analogy of the raisin loaf seems to be a common one used to explain what expansionists mean – the dough of the bread being space, and the raisins being bodies (galaxies). As the loaf cooks the dough expands, pushing the raisons further apart from each other. But that just returns to the notion of space being a thing. The problem with the analogy can be summed up as follows: The dough expands in space. What is space expanding in? Meta-space? This is a semantic and epistemological issue that seems to be ignored. The notion of expansion requires more fundamentally the notion of space. Expansion is a kind of relationship in space over time, therefore space cannot be said to be expanding.

The relationship between expanding space and perpetual motion of the first and second (entropy) kinds
The notion that space is expanding as a consequence of all matter (mass/energy) becoming more dispersed, may at first appear to make some sense. I was going to talk about energy and perpetual motion of the first and second kinds here, but that is unnecessary, I think. Dispersion is similar to expansion and we get the same problem as above.

The relationship between expanding space and a substratum
For those who wish to introduce the notion of a substratum (an ether, or plenum, or vacuum or what-have-you), the existence of this may be said to contribute mass/energy to the universe and provide a kind of meta-space that physical space expands into. While I like the idea of the ether in some forms, I think you need to be careful not to introduce unnecessary qualities to the concept. There is enough of that going on in physics as it is!

Mjolnir

Unread post by Mjolnir » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:09 pm

ZenMonkeyNZ wrote: We could just as easily say there were two stationary observers, one at M and one at M - vt (i.e. closer to A than B). Both observe the event timings differently, but that doesn't make the event timings dependent on the position of the observer!
Mjolnir wrote: I think Einstein omits mentioning it, but I was under the impression that the length of the train is supposed to be contracted *as seen from the embankment* that is, in the embankment frame of reference.
After some reflection, I am pretty sure Einstein doesn't say, and does not mean, that the length of the moving train is contracted in the embarkment frame (at rest), even if that is what appears to be the claim in for instance the wikipedia article on "the ladder/barn paradox". It is very easy to read what you think you know from explanations of SR into Einsteins own texts. I will have some time to look more into it in a few days. Will report back.

Mjolnir

ZenMonkeyNZ

Unread post by ZenMonkeyNZ » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:26 pm

Mjolnir wrote:
Mjolnir wrote:I think Einstein omits mentioning it, but I was under the impression that the length of the train is supposed to be contracted *as seen from the embankment* that is, in the embankment frame of reference.
After some reflection, I am pretty sure Einstein doesn't say, and does not mean, that the length of the moving train is contracted in the embarkment frame (at rest), even if that is what appears to be the claim in for instance the wikipedia article on "the ladder/barn paradox". It is very easy to read what you think you know from explanations of SR into Einsteins own texts. I will have some time to look more into it in a few days. Will report back.
Yes, it is easy to mix up secondary sources and interpretations with what primary texts have actually said.

In his Relativity, the Special and the General Theory, under the SR section XII, Einstein clearly states that the length of a rigid measuring rod (1m) moving in the direction of its length with a velocity v relative to an arbitrary frame of reference is the square root of 1 – v2 / c2. Presumably he therefore thinks that any rigid body moving in the direction of its length is contracted.

He also states that by time he means something empirical – i.e. measurable. So whether he meant real contraction, or just measured, remains a little unclear but I think he really just meant measured time (and distance). What he fails to address, I believe, is the normal metrological relative compensation of measure for measuring devices that I noted in an earlier post. His explanation raises a paradox that mirrors the twins paradox – the ladder/barn paradox. The reason for these paradoxes is that Einstein failed to retain Newton’s notions of absolute space and absolute time – i.e. there is no standard/fixed reference frame. Everything is purely relative in SR, except the velocity of light.

With a fixed frame of reference these paradoxes disappear. Inertia and centric forces associated with rotation suggest there is a physically relevant fixed frame of reference. The most physically sensible fixed reference frame is the bulk matter of the universe. Another option is to introduce an ether or some similar kind of substratum.

Zyxzevn

Unread post by Zyxzevn » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:45 pm

Is there anywhere in Einstein's text a reason why he thought that time was local?

Instead of changing time (and size) of the objects, one can also change the time of the interaction
between the objects. This is mathematically the same thing (for 2 objects).
It is also more compatible with quantum mechanics.

Often radioactive decay has been used to "proof" Einstein's theory. But it is something that even changes
during the seasons. It may be related to neutrinos interactions, and not by speed.

I have not seen any measurements that confirm the local time reality in a way that
can not be explained by changing the time of the interactions.
More ** from zyxzevn at: Paradigm change and C@

Corpuscles

Unread post by Corpuscles » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi
ZenMonkeyNZ wrote:[

Yes, it is easy to mix up secondary sources and interpretations with what primary texts have actually said.

In his Relativity, the Special and the General Theory, under the SR section XII, Einstein clearly states that the length of a rigid measuring rod (1m) moving in the direction of its length with a velocity v relative to an arbitrary frame of reference is the square root of 1 – v2 / c2. Presumably he therefore thinks that any rigid body moving in the direction of its length is contracted.

He also states that by time he means something empirical – i.e. measurable. So whether he meant real contraction, or just measured, remains a little unclear but I think he really just meant measured time (and distance). What he fails to address, I believe, is the normal metrological relative compensation of measure for measuring devices that I noted in an earlier post. ...

With a fixed frame of reference these paradoxes disappear. Inertia and centric forces associated with rotation suggest there is a physically relevant fixed frame of reference. The most physically sensible fixed reference frame is the bulk matter of the universe. Another option is to introduce an ether or some similar kind of substratum.
This SR & GR stuff ...IMHO ....mirrors the deception a quality magician, illusionist, NLP hypnotist does on stage.

You will recall or read ( Relativity, the Special and the General Theory[/i], under the SR section XII), that prior to that he is trying to pretend to be a "genius" by advancing a trivial solution to the simultaneity of lightning strikes. He doesn't say at that point that from K and K1 he literally means they did not occur simultaneously.

However his objective is to "acquire" (albeit with acknowledgement) the Lorenz transforms. These were specific transforms to be applied to Maxwell’s equations dealing with 3 dimensional (4 with include time) curved "fields" operating specifically at C.

However, in the section quoted he craftily creates the delusion that this applies to his one dimensional X axis only.

He give the illusion the rod contracts by imagining a light beam travelling from K non inertial frame "on the embankment". All it really means is to the observer at K the rod will seem to be slightly shorter. It doesn't make it so in reality! But he wants the reader to think that!

Also as per your OP, if a light beam travels K (x) to K1 (x1), then albeit incredibly small, the light must travel to x1 in that time the train has moved. Therefore the distance is a function of c+ v/c.

But he is always referring to the K frame of reference. The whole thing is BS!

Why does he do this? and start to create deception/illusion in the reader's concentrating, but scrambled mind. The reason comes later when he wants to introduce time dilation. Why??? Well he figures that his theories will be "confirmed" later by clocks... and starlight aberration..... and the procession of the perihelion of Mercury. He had arrived at a solution to these prior to the papers and constructed them and his theory to build in later confirmation of predictions and theory.

Clocks change because of reduced gravity. Put Caesium or radioactive substances back into the pressure /temperature /gravity zone in which it formed and they will not be radioactive. Also a spring or pendulum clocks work directly based on gravity!

Starlight aberration was known observed thousands of years before our "genius" first learnt his 2 times tables.

Where the hell is Stephen Crothers? He must have a list "a mile long" of Einstein magic trick delusions! I will forgive poster Goldminer as he has been pointing out the absurdities for years and is likely absolutely sick of it.

Cheers

ZenMonkeyNZ

Unread post by ZenMonkeyNZ » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:22 pm

Zyxzevn wrote: Is there anywhere in Einstein's text a reason why he thought that time was local?
The only thing I can recall is that he claims that by time we must mean something empirical (measurable), and all measurement is relative. He has a short section on simultaneity in the book I mentioned, but it's been a while since I've look at his other papers/books.
Corpuscles wrote: This SR & GR stuff ...IMHO ....mirrors the deception a quality magician, illusionist, NLP hypnotist does on stage.

You will recall or read ( Relativity, the Special and the General Theory[/i], under the SR section XII), that prior to that he is trying to pretend to be a "genius" by advancing a trivial solution to the simultaneity of lightning strikes. He doesn't say at that point that from K and K1 he literally means they did not occur simultaneously.

However his objective is to "acquire" (albeit with acknowledgement) the Lorenz transforms. These were specific transforms to be applied to Maxwell’s equations dealing with 3 dimensional (4 with include time) curved "fields" operating specifically at C.

However, in the section quoted he craftily creates the delusion that this applies to his one dimensional X axis only.

He give the illusion the rod contracts by imagining a light beam travelling from K non inertial frame "on the embankment". All it really means is to the observer at K the rod will seem to be slightly shorter. It doesn't make it so in reality! But he wants the reader to think that!
Yeah, I don't like some of his examples, either. The lightning example was to demonstrate that there can be no known simultaneity (if I recall correctly), but his argument is really directed towards the difficulty of measurement - he takes a difficulty in metrology and makes it a physical oddity, which seems strange.