RIP Tom Van Flandern

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Steve Smith

RIP Tom Van Flandern

Unread post by Steve Smith » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:51 am

Media release

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - For immediate release

Sequim, Wa – Noted astronomer Thomas C Van Flandern succumbed to colon cancer on January 9, 2009. He graduated from Xavier University in 1962, briefly attended Georgetown University in 1963 and received his PhD in astronomy from Yale in 1969, specializing in celestial mechanics. Dr. Van Flandern's early work is well regarded within his field, but he was more broadly (and controversially) known for his later scientific contributions.

Fascinated with astronomy from a very young age, Dr. Van Flandern made his first contribution to the field at age 19. In 1959, Tom and his friend Dennis Smith (age 17) set the world record for number of artificial satellites tracked during a month as part of project Moonwatch in Cincinnati. Tom made his observation from his personal telescope purchased with money earned from his paper route.

Dr. Van Flandern worked at the U.S. Naval Observatory for 21 years and became Chief of the Celestial Mechanics Branch of the Nautical Almanac Office. His team contributed to the regular production of The Nautical Almanac, among other projects. After retiring from the civil service, Van Flandern served as a Research Associate at the University of Maryland Physics Department, and as a Global Positioning System (GPS) consultant to the Army Research Laboratory.

In his book "Dark Matter, Missing Planets and New Comets", Dr. Van Flandern presented the case for several controversial theories, most notably that the speed of gravity must propagate significantly faster than the speed of light; both comets and asteroids are remnants of an exploded planet; back-ground radiation is not caused by an expanding universe and therefore the big bang is invalid; Mars is an escaped moon of an exploded planet formerly located in the asteroid belt; and that some structures on Mars are artificial. Dr. Van Flandern successfully predicted the discovery that asteroids with satellites, co-published peer reviewed papers on the speed of gravity with J.P. Vigier, and collaborated with Esko Lyytinen in improving the model for predicting meteor showers. Unfortunately detractors frequently use his claims of artificiality on Mars to marginalize both him and his work.

Dr. Van Flandern founded Meta Research in 1991 in response to the broad problem of getting research support for promising but unpopular alternative ideas in astronomy. Meta Research publishes a quarterly journal and maintains a presence on the Internet at metaresearch.org.

Born in Cleveland, Ohio, Dr. Van Flandern lived, worked and retired in Washington DC with wife Barbara and their four children. He spent the final years of his life in the Olympic peninsula town of Sequim, Washington.

Solar

Re: RIP Tom Van Flandern

Unread post by Solar » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:53 am

My goodness. I was just listening to an mp3 radio broadcast of Van Flandern this morning. May he Rest in Peace. His brainchild is Meta Research.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

bdw000

Unread post by bdw000 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:08 pm

Too bad.

His website is great.

I especially like his critiques of relativity, and his alternative of "Lorentzian Relativity."

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Yes, he will be sadly missed
:cry:

I put that very article up today in memory of him.
:geek:
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

redeye

Unread post by redeye » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:53 pm

Unfortunately detractors frequently use his claims of artificiality on Mars to marginalize both him and his work.
He will be greatly missed. Unfortunately, once you have passed away, you appear to be fair game for any detractors. I recently watched a BBC documentary about the Big Bang, I think it was originally aired as part of the LHCtravaganza last year. The program was an excuse for an extended dig at the late Fred Hoyle and his support of the Steady state hypothesis. As far as I'm aware Fred Hoyle rejected the Big Bang (a phrase he coined) as a leap of faith he was not willing to take and supported the Steady state hypothesis as there was no reasonable alternative. The program also failed to mention the fact that Fred Hoyles work on nucleosynthesis is one of the theories used to support the Big Bang theory, the program stated that Edwin Hubble was the originator of the theory (not George Lemaitre) and, after mentioning the show stopper that is the CMB, they made no attempt to explain it's inhomogenous nature or how the Big Bang explains this. Fred Hoyle would have had these idiots for breakfast!

Sorry for the vitriol but I get seriosly angry at the reaction to honest scientists who are led by facts rather than the crowd.

Thunderbolts does a great job stopping the revisionists from defaming the likes of Van Flandern, Dyson and Velikovsky to name a few.

Cheers!

Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:00 pm

bdw000 wrote:Too bad.

His website is great.

I especially like his critiques of relativity, and his alternative of "Lorentzian Relativity."
Please join in and help honour his memory.
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... 7&start=60
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

mnemeth1

Unread post by mnemeth1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:16 pm

That really sucks.

I am a fan of his work.

Lots of great contributions that picked apart Einsteinian relativistic cosmology piece by piece.

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:17 pm

I thought I posted a comment here before, but I don't see it. So here goes again. It's too bad alternative scientists don't know more about alternative health care. Conventional science and conventional medicine are both oppressed by big business or the ruling class and it's the alternatives that provide the best information in both cases. Even though there's a lot of junk science in alternatives too, there's much more junk in the conventional. Some evidence for this is at http://mercola.com and http://curezone.org.