Dark Matter May Have Electric Charge and Emit 'Dark Light'?

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

BIOCOM

Dark Matter May Have Electric Charge and Emit 'Dark Light'?

Unread post by BIOCOM » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi people.

I'm no physicist of any kind or anything. But using my own common sense i've always detested the arrogance of mainstream science. Which led me to this place and so i thought i'd contribute with an article i stumpled upon.

Maybe this is valuable information to some of you (incase it's not old news)
The mysterious dark matter that makes up most of the material in the universe may actually have an electric charge, a new study suggests. If so, it might help explain why astronomers see so few dwarf galaxies in orbit around larger ones.

Dark matter is detected by its tug on light and visible matter, so astrophysicists have largely assumed that it interacts mostly through the force of gravity – and not electromagnetism, for example. Indeed, the leading dark matter candidates, known as weakly interacting massive particles, or WIMPs, are electrically neutral.

But theorists Leonid Chuzhoy and Rocky Kolb of the University of Chicago say it may be time to consider the possibility that dark matter is actually composed of charged massive particles, or CHAMPs. That would mean magnetic fields could push on or deflect dark matter – adding another way for it to interact with the known universe.

The idea for CHAMPs is not new – it was actually discarded more than a decade ago, after underground particle detectors failed to pick up any sign of such candidates.

Now, a new analysis suggests the particles may exist – just not in our galactic neighbourhood. That's because the shape of the Milky Way's magnetic field could prevent CHAMPs from entering the galaxy's disc of stars, where the Earth resides.

'Prematurely rejected'

Any CHAMPs in the disc would have been cast out long ago, slingshotted outwards by the magnetic fields of rapidly expanding supernovae remnants, the team says.

"We have to keep our minds open about what dark matter could be," Kolb told New Scientist. "I think it's a brilliant idea that could have been prematurely rejected."

Avi Loeb of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Massachusetts, agrees that it is worth keeping an open mind. "The nature of dark matter is not known, so it's always healthy and important to explore unconventional possibilities," he told New Scientist.

If dark matter is electrically charged, it would be more likely to collide with normal matter. That's because it could couple with ordinary matter through its magnetic fields. Normal matter might also bounce off its electrostatic fields like a billiard ball.

Massive particles

The researchers are currently studying what properties CHAMPs would need to explain dark matter observations.

For example, CHAMPs must bump into normal matter fairly rarely in order to create cosmic displays like the Bullet Cluster and MACS J0025. In these collisions of galaxy clusters, ordinary matter gets jumbled up in the crash but dark matter continues on unimpeded.

Finding CHAMPs may prove tricky. The proposed particles would weigh at least 100,000 times the mass of the proton, too heavy to be created by the world's most powerful particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider, which is set to start up on Wednesday.

Their weight might also make them difficult to observe in space. Charged particles such as electrons and protons emit radiation when they are accelerated by magnetic fields, but CHAMPs would be too massive to produce much light, says the team.

Still, neutral versions of the particles could be found on Earth, says Chuzhoy. If CHAMPs are negatively charged, they might have bound to iron and other elements to create supermassive varieties that could be detected by their weight. These elements might also absorb and emit telltale X-rays that could be observed by telescopes.

Missing dwarfs

Charged dark matter could help explain some cosmic conundrums.

Because CHAMPs would collide more often with normal matter, they could blast gas from growing dwarf galaxies. This could inhibit star formation and explain why astronomers see so few dwarf galaxies in orbit around the Milky Way and nearby giants.

Since CHAMPs can be accelerated by the magnetic fields in stellar explosions, the particles might also explain why there seems to be less dark matter at the centres of dwarf galaxies than simulations predict.

But Loeb notes that the Milky Way's magnetic field might not prevent CHAMPs from reaching the planet.

That's because charged particles from beyond the galaxy do manage to reach Earth. Mysterious ultra-high energy cosmic rays, for example, appear to enter the Milky Way along 'open' magnetic field lines.

Chuzhoy suggests that some of these cosmic rays could actually be CHAMPs.

Smoothed out

If dark matter is charged, it could have had a drastic effect on the universe soon after the big bang.

When the universe was very dense, particles of light, or photons, smoothed out subtle ripples in ordinary matter. But dark matter is supposed to have remained clumpy after the big bang, creating small pockets of mass that drew in surrounding material to form larger structures such as galaxies.

If photons can collide with CHAMPs, that might make dark matter smooth as well. "You wouldn't be able to make galaxies at later times," Loeb told New Scientist. "[The researchers] have to do more work to make it a viable scenario."
source

MGmirkin

Re: Dark Matter May Have Electric Charge and Emit 'Dark Light'?

Unread post by MGmirkin » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:20 pm

Hilarious! Absolutely hilarious. The 'residents' have apparently taken over the asylum in the much vaunted 'standard model' camp.

So, okay:

(Is dark matter a wimp or a champ? [Subtitle: Dark Matter may be electrically charged!])
http://space.newscientist.com/channel/a ... gy/dn14696

And:

(Dark Matter may shine with invisible 'dark light.')
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn15099

What I'm hearing is "blah blah blah" [electric] and "black blah blah" [magnetism].

I mean the inescapable conclusion, if one takes it somewhat, minimally, logically to the end of this line of reasoning is that there must be some kind of "dark" charged particles, which emit "dark" electromagnetic waves, which would likely have to come from some kind of "dark" electromagnetism / "dark" electromagnetic spectrum. Would there then also be "dark" electric currents (composed of the "dark" charged particles) and "dark" magnetic fields (the force between "dark" electric currents)?

They seem to be introducing ridiculous new epicycles! Perhaps they should simply try to understand how electricity and magnetism function in the cosmos instead.

"Dark Matter" is a direct descendant of the FAILURE of gravity-only cosmology with regard to galaxy rotation curves being a mismatch with gravitational expectations based upon the amount of VISIBLE matter in the galaxies. Dark Matter was a galactic-scale "fudge factor" introduced to balance out unbalanced equations (making Ockham more-or-less turn over in his grave).

Taking plasma and electromagnetic effects into account, it has already been shown that galaxy rotation curves can be matched via simulation.

(Evolution of the Plasma Universe: I. Double Radio Galaxies, Quasars, and Extragalactic Jets; IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci. Vol. PS-14, N.6, pp.639-660, December 1986)
http://public.lanl.gov/alp/plasma/downl ... 6TPS-I.pdf

(Evolution of the Plasma Universe: II. The Formation of Systems of Galaxies; IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci. Vol. PS-14, N.6, pp.763-778, December 1986)
http://public.lanl.gov/alp/plasma/downl ... TPS-II.pdf

Why invent a "dark" electromagnetic spectrum when we have a perfectly good and well-understood "visible" one to work with? Using electric / plasma assumptions, galaxy formation / characteristics can be modeled without introducing any "new physics." Including "CHAMPs" (CHArged Massive Particles). Since gravity is taken out of the equation in favor of the 39 orders of magnitude more powerful electric force, the particles don't need to be "massive" (IE, particles with large quantities of gravitating mass to "hold together" galaxies in the increasingly creaky gravity-only model), they can just be regular old charged particles doing electric things in plasma (with a bit more oomph)!

Granted, it requires acknowledgment that charges are not necessarily 'neutral' throughout the universe and that electric fields and currents may in fact play a dynamic role in cosmic evolution. We already know that magnetic fields are of paramount importance in understanding any number of cosmological processes (jets, star formation, galaxy cluster formation, etc. etc.). The KNOWN relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields, simply needs to be tacitly acknowledged and actively utilized.

The standard model is digging its own grave, slowly but surely.

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:29 pm

I dub thee the Dragon Slayer.
8-)
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:07 pm

Granted, "Dark Matter" appears by definition to exclude electromagnetic effects?

(Dark matter)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter
Wikipedia wrote:In physics and cosmology, dark matter is hypothetical matter that does not interact with the electromagnetic force, but whose presence can be inferred from gravitational effects on visible matter.
So, what are the folks suggesting an EM force or an EM-like force smoking? Just wondering...

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke

Tzunamii

Unread post by Tzunamii » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:20 pm

Wait till they discover "Dark matter" is "really" dark mode plasma, and see where it evolves from there.
Methinks they're lining up their ducks for a while now.

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:51 pm

MGmirkin wrote:I mean the inescapable conclusion, if one takes it somewhat, minimally, logically to the end of this line of reasoning is that there must be some kind of "dark" charged particles, which emit "dark" electromagnetic waves, which would likely have to come from some kind of "dark" electromagnetism / "dark" electromagnetic spectrum. Would there then also be "dark" electric currents (composed of the "dark" charged particles) and "dark" magnetic fields (the force between "dark" electric currents)?
Let's not forget that all light is "dark"... invisible...
Only receptors which selectively resonate/respond to certain gradient vectors of the light field make light visible.
The spectrum of light accompanies its reception, because a gradient of force surrounds the central line-of-sight.
It is up to the receiving device to manipulate that gradient in such a way as to "image" the source. In the the case of radio, this is easily done by electrically manipulating energy producing coils, then re-assembling the manipulated signals via an antenna and resonating apparati, converting those signals to sound, etc. Photoreception in humans, or animals in general, is a much more complex activity, but based on the same principle of manipulation of the spectral vectors via lens, piezoelectric/electrochemical rods and cones, and complex occipital organizing apparati which no one understands!
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:25 am

MGmirkin wrote:I mean the inescapable conclusion, if one takes it somewhat, minimally, logically to the end of this line of reasoning is that there must be some kind of "dark" charged particles, which emit "dark" electromagnetic waves, which would likely have to come from some kind of "dark" electromagnetism / "dark" electromagnetic spectrum. Would there then also be "dark" electric currents (composed of the "dark" charged particles) and "dark" magnetic fields (the force between "dark" electric currents)?
Apparently I wasn't the only one who speculated on this line of thinking. One of the theorists saw the implications as well...

(Dark Photons)
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmi ... k-photons/

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:57 am

Now it seems they're grasping at yet more straws in claiming that gamma rays may indicate accumulations of dark matter...

(Simulation may help solve mystery of dark matter)
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=sim ... help-solve

(Simulation points to dark matter)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27563574/

(Where will new Fermi telescope find dark matter?)
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn15126

(Do gamma rays indicate galactic dark matter?)
http://cerncourier.com/cws/article/cern/29187

(Fermi Space Telescope May Follow the Gamma Rays to Find Dark Matter)
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80bea ... rk-matter/

Again, epicycles, says I... How do we tell gamma rays "due to dark matter" from gamma rays from "other sources"? Just because we find gamma rays, does not mean they "prove" dark matter, any more than the CMB "proves" the big bang. IT's not a mutually exclusive piece of data and thus cannot be an experimentum crucis. IE, other processes can produce or predict gamma rays. So, finding gamma rays does not itself prove any of the independent possibilities that could have produced them.

And they're diverting resources to this search for something predicted from something not PROVEN to exist? Oy!

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:43 am

By positing "dark matter" we may as well posit angels or magic. The mainstream still doesn't understand gravity in the slightest. Then, because their numbers don't come out right, they just invent whatever they can think of to save Relativity from falsification. Relativity was never a physical explanation in the first place, just a mathematical description. It never told us anything about *why*. If all I had was an equation correlating observations, with no causal explanation, I'd be ready to take any contradictory observation as a chance to formulate a physical hypothesis and try to learn something.
Physicist: This is a pen

Mathematician: It's pi*r2*h

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:51 pm

For all our debate, I hope you realize, Altonhare, that you and I agree 95 % or more of the way... just love spending all our time on the 5% :lol: Dark Matter and Energy, expanding, accelerating, oscillating, and multi-verses show how much scientists are willing to depart from Ockham's Razor to hold to a paradigm.
I've been at this [pursuit of "the" alternative] GUT for 35 years... been studying this particular UFT since 1981... still have lots to learn! Thanks for persisting to to engage [us] with your questions. EU can only benefit from such a rigorous critical approach.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

tholden

Unread post by tholden » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:17 am

"Dark light(TM)" has to be an oxymoron....

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:19 pm

tholden wrote:"Dark light(TM)" has to be an oxymoron...
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought so... ;)

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin

John Silver

Unread post by John Silver » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:26 am

Actually it's a misnomer;
Dark matter emits shadow.

substance

Unread post by substance » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:52 am

LoL @ the funnah jokes, but dark matter emits nothing, because it doesn`t exist!
My personal blog about science, technology, society and politics. - Putredo Mundi

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:25 am

I don't know much science but does CHAMP + WIMP = CHIMP?
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.