Exotic Object Stirs Exoplanet Classification Rethink

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

squiz

Exotic Object Stirs Exoplanet Classification Rethink

Unread post by squiz » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:38 am

Is it a Gas giant or a star?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 215141.htm
The object, named COROT-exo-3b, is about the size of Jupiter, but packs more than 20 times the mass. It takes only 4 days and 6 hours to orbit its parent star, which is slightly larger than the Sun.
So they've found an in between, and are puzzled. I don't think I need to mention how perfectly this fits with the EU perspective. This sort of behavior should be expected from a body of this size and it relationship with it's parent star, It seems to me you could take the flipped and altered HR diagram (http://www.electric-cosmos.org/hrdiagr.htm) and extend it through objects such as these and onto gas giants no problem.
Actually if the scale in the diagram was accurate (a big maybe), and obviously we cannot trust the assumptions of mass. I think a Jupiter sized planet in such close proximity would behave like this while sharing some of the current load of the star.
"It has puzzled us; we’re not sure where to draw the boundary between planets and brown dwarfs.”

Puzzled again. Well let's add another category to the mix then. Perhaps they should be drawing a line between instead of a boundary.
As a planet, COROT-exo-3b would be the most massive and the densest found to date - more than twice as dense as lead. Studying it will help them better understand how to categorise such objects. The team also wants to understand how such a massive object formed so close to its parent.
Bah! can't we sac these guys? Translation - Studying it will give us more time to come up with some new fantasy. Although I must admit I'd love to hear the explanation.

Drethon

Re: Exotic Object Stirs Exoplanet Classification Rethink

Unread post by Drethon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:20 am

Yes, a planet that is twice as dense as lead... sounds stable to me

SpaceTravellor

Unread post by SpaceTravellor » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:26 am

Oh, another example of "gravity anomaly" with heavy heavenly and close bodies not attracting eachother!

- When I have some spare time, I often watch some of my many DVD´s with traditional Modern Cosmology. It´s sometimes better than the best comedy!

And some of the best laughs comes from National Geographic "science" productions of Astronomy, Astrophysics and Cosmology!

It´s certainly all worth the payment for my satellite-connection!

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:21 am

I don't by these "exoplanet" explanations until as such time as they are directly imaged as in the case with HD 3651. Stars can regularly 'twinkle" from electrical activity that can easily be confused with the rotation periods of an exoplanet as an explanation for the regular dimming and subsequent brightening of it's light.

In any case these exoplanets call to mind "Planet Birthing"
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

substance

Unread post by substance » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:29 am

SpaceTravellor wrote:Oh, another example of "gravity anomaly" with heavy heavenly and close bodies not attracting eachother!

- When I have some spare time, I often watch some of my many DVD´s with traditional Modern Cosmology. It´s sometimes better than the best comedy!

And some of the best laughs comes from National Geographic "science" productions of Astronomy, Astrophysics and Cosmology!

It´s certainly all worth the payment for my satellite-connection!
How can you stand these shows... Particularly NG`s science series are not funny, they make me SAD! :(
My personal blog about science, technology, society and politics. - Putredo Mundi