Schrodinger's Universe/ Electric Universe

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Stepaside

Schrodinger's Universe/ Electric Universe

Unread post by Stepaside » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:35 pm

Has anyone had a chance to read Milo Wolff's new book "Schrodinger's Universe"?
He draws many similar conclusion as the "Electric universe", but he also describes the fundimental cause of all the natural forces including gravity and quantum entanglement.

"1. The Hubble distance H is the maximum finite distance we are able to observe in an infinite Universe.
2. The Big-Bang never happened because instead the red shift is a consequence of the limited range of in/out waves in the observable Universe.
3. Einstein was correct that the Universe is infinite in extent.
4. Schrodinger, DeBroglie, and Clifford were correct that all matter is wave structures in a space medium.
5. The theory of Neils Bohr and Max Born that discrete particles exist as possibilities within a Schrodinger wave function is wrong, Instead the wave functions themselves are the matter we observe. Discrete particles do not exist."

He is far from being alone in his views, ie: Carver Mead, Akira Tonomura, Gabriel LaFreniere.
;)
http://www.amazon.com/Schroedingers-Uni ... 611&sr=8-1

StevenO

Re: Schrodinger's Universe/ Electric Universe

Unread post by StevenO » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:36 pm

Hi,

First, welcome to the TB forums! Hope you will enjoy them!

I have Milo's book, I only found the time to read a small part sofar, though I have read his previous book in full and I am familiar with his and the other's philosophies.

Personally I was never satisfied with the 'everything is a wave' approach as waves itself are not symmetrical enough in itself to constitute a universe. Waves are the result of harmonic motions. I think that should be Milo's conclusion as well. He seems to touch on this point often, e.g. look at his descriptions of the 'space medium' and how he derives Mach's principle to be equivalent to F=ma. Indeed, forces are always the result of opposing motions. Waves in space are the result of circular motions in time combined with a progression in space. That's how you get a sine function.
First, God decided he was lonely. Then it got out of hand. Now we have this mess called life...
The past is out of date. Start living your future. Align with your dreams. Now execute.

Stepaside

Unread post by Stepaside » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:45 am

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have actualy been a lurker here for a few months. I have read both "The Electric Universe" and "The Electric Sky". Both great pieces of work.
I was kind of sitting on the fence too about the "electron wave" untill I read Carver Meads book "Collective Electrodynamics". That shored it up for me. What I find interesting is a similar shift in thinking that Theoretical physics has taken a serious wrong turn(Bohr vs Einstein/Schrodinger) as we see in cosmology(gravity vs electricity).

StevenO

Unread post by StevenO » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:27 pm

I red those books too. I'm sure fascinated about electricity. Still I think there is a lot about electrons that we do not know yet, leading to a 'magical thinking' by some authors. The Dewey Larson theory of a Universe of Motion (==1/energy) actually explains that charge is seperate from the electron itself. Currents are movements of UNcharged electrons through matter, while only charged electrons can move through space. Currents through matter are then NOT a movement of charges. It would explain some things, like the skin effect (= diffusion equation) and the buildup of lightning since voltage and electric potential are not identical. It would take too much time too explain everything here but it proves that the electron is even more enigmatic than we know.
First, God decided he was lonely. Then it got out of hand. Now we have this mess called life...
The past is out of date. Start living your future. Align with your dreams. Now execute.

Stepaside

Unread post by Stepaside » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:51 pm

I understand where you’re coming from. As for me, I would hardly call Carver Mead’s work on the subject “magical thinking” as it is based on decades of experimentation and discovery:

1933 Persistent current in a superconducting ring
1933 Expulsion of magnetic fields by a superconductor
1954 Maser
1960 Atomic Laser
1961 Quantized Flux in a superconducting ring
1962 Semiconductor Laser
1964 Superconducting Quantum Interference Device
1980 Integer quantum hall effect
1981 Fractional quantum hall effect
1995 Bose-Einstein Condensate

Along with Mead’s accomplishments and credentials (major contributor to semiconductor and quantum computing research). Not to forget his 1999 MIT prize.

As an electrical engineer it has given me new insight. I find it very hard to accept the separation of charge from the electron. But, To each his own.

jabailo

Unread post by jabailo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:56 pm

The thing that bothers me about Schrodinger's wave mechanics is that it is not a unique solution. Pauli developed an equally good, but perhaps more mathematically cumbersome matrix algebraic method for doing the same analysis of atomic particles. To me, the existence of two equivalent mathematical systems to describe the same thing means neither is as necessary as it purports to be.

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:46 am

Interesting insight, jabailo...
Several of the theories discussed on this website fit the same proviso, ie. that more than one mathematical system may be put forth to describe the same phenomena. What intrigues and keeps me here is the way the premises behind a mathematical system, whichever it may be, logically lead to the conclusions the math is supposed to prove. This keeps the forum hopping, and me hoping that the close examination and discussion of our premises will continually lead us closer to the actual truth. I'm afraid it is too easy to become comfortable with an internally consistent mathematical system that becomes the "reality", rather than just being a tool for describing the patterns of the reality.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

jabailo

Unread post by jabailo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:55 pm

I was also thinking...what is a mathematical system? It's a typically two dimensional symbol system. Somehow we assume that these systems are outside the realm of the physical. But what if they are part and parcel of everything else...so the same constraints on the 3 world, it's laws and so on are also acting on the symbol system. Then, there is no absolute "description" or physics that contains it all.

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:14 pm

I would say, rather, that very little [too little?] restraint applies to mathematical systems... often in the history of science, people come up with some theory, develop a math system to describe their theory, add whatever fudge factor they want in order to make [the rest of] their system work, then try to find physical evidence to fit the system, then turn around and say that the correlation of the evidence with the system is some sort of proof for the physical theory... from i, to lambda, the cosmological constant, the Lorentz factor, the Hubble [not-so-]constant, to c or G, or insert your favorite fad number here... all of these figures were added to make the math work, then often used as proof of the physical theory. This is the history of paradigms, and usually limiting to the progress of science. On the other hand, there are some numbers that actually occur in nature and are integral to how the physical systems work... pi, phi, radical3, the ratio rad3/rad2, the numbers 3 and 6, etc. as well as geometrical patterns of symmetry, fractality, vectors, etc. which, when able to be incorporated into the mathematical system, tend to appeal to Ockham's razor in the theoretical simplification that occurs. We're all seeking this here at EU, from what I observe; but I in particular think rather simply about the universe, so this is quite important to me.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

Stepaside

Unread post by Stepaside » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:03 pm

Webolife,

Yes, reminds me of a couple of my favorite quotes:

"Theoretical assumptions are developed with the most sophisticated
mathematical methods, and it is only the plasma itself which does not
understand how beautiful the theories are and absolutely refuses to
obey them"(Hannes Alfven)

“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality.”(Nikola Tesla)

Stepaside

Unread post by Stepaside » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:24 pm

It seems that Ockham's razor has been totally forgotten by modern science. This is one of the reasons I was attracted to WSM theory. It can be explained to a child and still be used to calculate electrodynamics at the nano scale more accurately than Maxwell.

Stepaside

Unread post by Stepaside » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Eventhough Milo Wolff Originated WSM theory I just wanted to add a little more about Carver Mead who has taken it from theory to application.

"In relation to his 2002 award with the National Medal of Technology, his biography at a webpage of the Technology Administration of the United States government says:

Carver Mead is a key pioneer of modern microelectronics. His 40-year academic and industry career touches all aspects of microelectronics, from spearheading the development of tools and techniques for modern integrated circuit design, to laying the foundation for fabless semiconductor companies, to catalyzing the electronic design automation field, to training generations of engineers, to founding more than twenty companies, including Actel Corporation, Silicon Compilers, Synaptics, and Sonic Innovations.

Carver's career is characterized by an endless string of "firsts." He built the first GaAs MESFET, a device that is today a mainstay of wireless electronics. He was the first to use a physics-based analysis to predict a lower limit to transistor size. His predictions, along with the notions of scalability that came with them, were instrumental in setting the industry on its path toward submicrometre technology. He was the first to predict millions of transistors on a chip, and, on the basis of these predictions, he developed the first techniques for designing big, complex microchips. He taught the world's first VLSI design course. He created the first software compilation of a silicon chip.

Halfway through his career he switched direction, teaming with Professor John Hopfield and Nobelist Richard Feynman to study how animal brains compute. The trio catalyzed three fields: Neural Networks, Neuromorphic Engineering, and Physics of Computation. Carver created the first neurally inspired chips, including the silicon retina and chips that learn from experience, and founded the first companies to use these technologies: Synaptics, and Foveon, Inc., a Santa Clara, California company developing CMOS image sensor/processing chips (for use in e.g. digital photography).

Carver's teaching legacy is every bit as significant as his research. He taught the original founders of Sun Microsystems, Silicon Graphics, Silicon Design Labs, and countless others. His work in electronic design automation (EDA) created companies such as Silicon Compilers, Silerity, and Cascade Semiconductor Design. He and Ivan Sutherland created the computer science department at Caltech. The 1980 textbook he coauthored with Lynn Conway, Introduction to VLSI Design, was standard training for a generation of engineers. His 1989 textbook, Analog VLSI and Neural Systems, trained interdisciplinary researchers who are poised today to revolutionize the frontier of computing and neurobiology. Although retired, Carver continues his teaching tradition today: His new passion is finding a better way to teach freshman physics, using the quantum nature of matter as a sole basis.

Carver also pioneered the use of floating-gate transistors as a means of non-volatile storage for neuromorphic and other analog circuits."--Wiki

sathearn

Unread post by sathearn » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:52 am

StevenO - Glad to find someone on this site who is aware of and indeed knowledgeable about the ideas of the late Dewey Larson (1898-1990). I for one think that all those concerned to reexamine the foundations of conventional physics in search of weak spots - in the effort to bring to light those parts of theory which "have not been thought through carefully, but are held in the comfortable belief that some one must have examined them at some time" (P.W. Bridgman, as quoted by Larson) - could do no better than to become acquainted with Larson's work. Regardless of how his own theoretical system is ultimately assessed, he was certainly a very astute critic of conventional ideas. Frank A. Anderson, the founding chair of the department of chemical engineering at Mississippi State, once called Larson "one of the most brilliant and devastatingly logical thinkers I have run across in my 40 years of work as a scientist-engineer-educator." The well-known essayist on Peak Oil, Richard Heinberg, wrote more recently ("The Smartest Person I've Met," July 2007) that "the books, lectures, and articles that Dewey Larson left behind offer exhilarating food for thought even for readers with modest scientific training. His writings challenge us to think critically and not take anything for granted."

As for Larson's own contributions to theory, while they remain largely unknown (in contrast, incidentally, to those of his classmate Linus Pauling), they have attracted the interest of a number of engineering-types, including the late Hans Wuenscher, an assistant director of NASA, who served on the board of the organization founded to promote Larson's work, and including some who specialize in electrical engineering (e.g. Dr. Rainer Huck of Salt Lake City). Phil Porter, in a presentation that seems to be currently offline, reminisced as follows:

"It started for me when I came in one Monday morning sleepy-eyed into one of my electrical engineering classes, third year undergraduate. It was analog circuits. And the professor walked in, and he made some kind of announcement like: 'Today I'm not going to talk about circuits. I want to tell you about the book I read this weekend. It was so compelling I could not put it down' - or words to that effect. And he proceeded to talk about New Light on Space and Time by Dewey Larson, that he had just read. And boy, by the end of that class, I was awake and listening. I'd never heard anything so exciting to me as such an all-encompassing, simple theory."

Which leads me to Stepaside's comment: "As an electrical engineer ...
I find it very hard to accept the separation of charge from the electron. But, To each his own." Not meaning to impugn your knowledgeableness of electrical matters, no doubt far better than mine, but regarding the the point at issue, might we have here another case of "comfortable belief" - like the nuclear atom hypothesis, or the belief that fusion of light elements is the source of stellar energy? Apropos of Heinberg's comment above, (though unfortunately not so self-contained as Heinberg's own selections) consider the following passages from Larson's New Light on Space and Time:

"However, the general acceptance of this theory that current electricity is simply static electricity in motion has been based on the discovery of points of similarity between the two phenomena, not on any plausible explanation of the observed points of difference. The behavior of static charges in motion is not the same as that of an electric current, and the behavior of a conductor raised to a high electric potential from a source of current is not the same as an object with a large static charge. For example, the inductive effects of a potential from a current source are very minor compared to those that would be experienced from an equivalent static charge. Then, again, static charges repel each other and are therefore located on the surface of the charged object, whereas the direct relation of the conductivity of a conductor to its cross-sectional area indicates that no such effect is present in current electricity. This latter point is, in itself, strong evidence that the particles which constitute the current are not charged.

"At this juncture it may legitimately be asked why these arguments, none of which is actually new, should carry any more weight now than they have done in the past.... Up to this time there has been only one plausible theory available, and the question has been, Is there enough support for this theory to justify accepting it and utilizing it for the time being? Obviously, this question had to be answered in the affirmative, as there are many items of evidence that lend credence to the charged particle theory. Probably the most convincing of these, aside from the magnetic effects previously mentioned, is the fact that where a current originates in an electrolytic solution, passes through a conductor, and returns to a solution, the current moving through the solution is undeniably being transferred by charged particles, or charged units of some kind. From this it seems reasonable to assume that a movement of charged particles also exists in the external conductor.

.... One of the most significant conclusions of this new development [Larson's theory] is that the electrons move _through the atoms of matter_, not through the space between the atoms. In this connection, it does not seem to have been recognized that there is a serious weakness in the present-day theory that views the electrons as moving through the interstices between the atoms, since this does not explain why the current is confined within the conductor. If the electrons can move readily in the spaces between the atoms then there is no visible reason why they should not move through the spaces between the outside atoms of the conductor and thus escape out into the surrounding space. An attempt has been made to explain this situation by means of another demon (that is, an _ad hoc_ force invented for this specific purpose). It has been postulated that a 'potential barrier' at the surface of the conductor prevents the escape of the electrons, and the existence of surface forces which keep the atoms of a liquid confined within the aggregate until they acquire a certain minimum amount of kinetic energy is often cited as an analogy which supports this hypothesis....

"The flaw in this analogy is that there is a known force which accounts for the 'barrier' to evaporation - the cohesion between the molecules of the liquid, which is effective not only at the surface but throughout the liquid aggregate, as can easily be demonstrated by suspending a liquid drop from a solid surface - but there is no known force of cohesion between the electrons. Indeed, they should repel each other if they are charged, and in that event the 'potential barrier' comparable to that which exists in the liquid should be negative. Neither is there any evidence of a force of cohesion between the electrons and the atoms of matter, nor could there be any such force without offering the same resistance to passage of electrons _through_ the conductor as _out of_ the conductor." (pp. 157-59)

Steve A

StevenO

Unread post by StevenO » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:29 pm

sathearn wrote:StevenO - Glad to find someone on this site who is aware of and indeed knowledgeable about the ideas of the late Dewey Larson (1898-1990).

Steve A
Hi Steve A,

Welcome to the forums too!
It looks like Thunderbolts is attracting many new posters lately. Also I'm very happy to find somebody who is enthusiast and knowledgeable about Dewey Larson's theories. It took me so much time to study his work but I still feel like an absolute beginner in contrast with all those paradoxes Dewey Larson solves on each page. I think his theories are absolutely brilliant but I also do find that the basics concepts of the theory are so fundamentally different to people that they are mostly lost on it forever after a few minutes. Since Dewey's style is very dry, it desperately needs a more popular explanation to open it up for a wider audience. That is why I'm writing a popular introduction to his theories for Thunderbolts. It is a few pages, but already solves the paradoxes regarding the nature of the vacuum, Big Bang, gravity, wave-particle duality, missing anti-matter and more. Would you be willing to review it?

Steven

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:16 pm

"However, the general acceptance of this theory that current electricity is simply static electricity in motion has been based on the discovery of points of similarity between the two phenomena, not on any plausible explanation of the observed points of difference. The behavior of static charges in motion is not the same as that of an electric current, and the behavior of a conductor raised to a high electric potential from a source of current is not the same as an object with a large static charge. For example, the inductive effects of a potential from a current source are very minor compared to those that would be experienced from an equivalent static charge. Then, again, static charges repel each other and are therefore located on the surface of the charged object, whereas the direct relation of the conductivity of a conductor to its cross-sectional area indicates that no such effect is present in current electricity. This latter point is, in itself, strong evidence that the particles which constitute the current are not charged.
That is good evidence in my mind that APM is correct. If you do not quantify ES as different then EM, as the four force model does, then your never going to get to the bottom of things. I believe with ES quantified as a seperate charge and force that the idea of charges seperate from electrons would disappear. Infact electrons may be dual charge dipoles.
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord