Big Brains Tell Really Big Lies

New threads (topics) in the Thunderblogs/Multimedia forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. This is the place for users to comment on or discuss aspects of any individual Thunderblog or Thunderbolts multimedia post.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Big Brains Tell Really Big Lies

Unread post by davesmith_au » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:39 pm

July 09, 2008 ~ Michael Goodspeed

[...]

The term "crisis in cosmology" is now being spoken increasingly by scientists around the world. But each year, the collective madness only seems to intensify, as scientists' "source amnesia" leads them further and further down the rabbit hole toward unmitigated fantasy. ... [More...]
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

Tina

Re: Big Brains Tell Really Big Lies

Unread post by Tina » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:03 pm

David - what can we expect from societies that are complicit in perpetuating lies and deceptions regarding the existance of Santa Clause to young and inpressionable minds? The message to children is that the truth does not matter :cry: it's what feels good that counts. ...and Black Holes sure feel good.....some Freudian hang ups here I think :(

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:23 pm

Tina wrote:David - what can we expect from societies that are complicit in perpetuating lies and deceptions regarding the existance of Santa Clauseto young and inpressionable minds? The message to children is that the truth does not matter :cry: it's what feels good that counts. ...and Black Holes sure feel good.....some Freudian hang ups here I think :(
Santa doesn't exist? Since when? I thought he lived in a Black Hole at the North Pole.

"Mummy! There's a lady on the forum who says that Santa doesn't exist............."
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:01 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:
Santa doesn't exist? Since when? I thought he lived in a Black Hole at the North Pole.

"Mummy! There's a lady on the forum who says that Santa doesn't exist.............
Oh dear sweet Grey Cloud - I know the truth can hurt because it's a shock to the system - and its a shock to the system because our systems are Electric :o But isn't that more exciting than silly Santa in a silly Black Hole?

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:07 pm

Tina wrote
But isn't that more exciting than silly Santa in a silly Black Hole?
Not on Christmas morning it isn't. But there again, I suppose this means that I don't have to be good all the time. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:55 pm

Tina wrote:David - what can we expect from societies that are complicit in perpetuating lies and deceptions regarding the existance of Santa Clause to young and inpressionable minds? The message to children is that the truth does not matter :cry: it's what feels good that counts. ...and Black Holes sure feel good.....some Freudian hang ups here I think :(
Yep, it's a sad endictment on our society indeed. I made a point of not ever lying to my kids - they still enjoyed Christmas, but in our house it was often referred to as "The Holy Feast of Saint Coles and Saint Woolworths..." Our US friends would no doubt add "Saint Walmart".

My kids never suffered from brutal honesty. Of course, there were some issues which were "When you're older..." but I always have been more comfortable giving them the truth, or all the options, or nothing at all, rather than lying to them. They've grown up to be fantastic young adults with well-balanced attitudes and not likely to get "sucked in" to anything too detrimental to them. They make informed decisions about what they do or believe.

What a pity our scientists don't grow up with similar attitudes...

Cheers, Dave Smith.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

rduke

Unread post by rduke » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:29 pm

I find it supremely interesting that many here came to the same conclusion regarding telling their kids about "Santa"... in regards to the impact telling them a "little" lie would bring.

I foresee our children .. while may not be perfect... will at the very least TRUST us ... in the hardest years.. ie: teenage angst..

I think that parents telling kids lies when the kids trust in their parents 100% is severely psychologically damaging...even if the child does not actually remember the incident....be it Santa, Easter Bunnies and so forth... The bottom line there is that the kid learns that the parent lied to them and they believed that... it cracks the foundation of trust.. and the leak forms.. add hormones of puberty.. and the next thing you know your on a day time talk show crying because your kid is out of control shows no respect.. so you are forced to send them to one of these "re-education" camps...

Sad and Sick...

I do love you people more and more each day.