The Overrated "Masters" of the Universe

New threads (topics) in the Thunderblogs/Multimedia forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. This is the place for users to comment on or discuss aspects of any individual Thunderblog or Thunderbolts multimedia post.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

davesmith_au
Site Admin

The Overrated "Masters" of the Universe

Unread post by davesmith_au » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:06 am

'08/03/27 ~ Guest contribution - Dr. Jeremy Dunning-Davies

There are those in our midst who seem to believe that, once again, man is on the thresh-hold of discovering the answers to the final secrets of the Universe. This is undoubtedly an echo from the final years of the nineteenth century but, after that period of premature claims, one might have expected a little more reticence from the modern godfathers of world science.

However, sensibly keeping quiet does not seem a virtue of these people, to the extent that, on two recent Monday evenings on British television, the public has been given the opportunity to participate in the life and achievements of the ‘Master of the Universe’, Stephen Hawking. While no-one can but admire his courage and tenacity in the face of extreme physical handicap, one must question the power and importance of his scientific achievements. Indeed, when it comes to discovering the secrets of the Universe, precisely what are his achievements? ... [more...]
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

Tzunamii

Re: The Overrated "Masters" of the Universe

Unread post by Tzunamii » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:33 am

Thank you Dr. Davies!
Already, My 16 yr old High School student is a sceptic concerning the sciences he's made to study, due in no small part to the materials provided by the Thunderbolts Team & their affiliates.
There's no doubt that Mr. Hawking's is a brilliant man.
Brilliant enough to know the rhetoric hes spewing is garbage?
More than likely.
Then again, in a world where Al Gore can receive a Nobel Peace Prize for buffalo farts, it just goes to show, Not all the Clowns work in the circus.
Enough Clowning around already.

Solar

Re: The Overrated "Masters" of the Universe

Unread post by Solar » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:29 pm

I had the same thoughts after reading that article. Even more so I had read it after watching a History channel (I think) piece on Hawking. The glowing terms from those who've worked with him overshadowed whether or not his theories are correct. Although those theories were cited the show ended up being more about the man than whether or not the theories made any scientific since.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

westcoaster

Thank you!

Unread post by westcoaster » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:42 am

Finally, a breath of fresh air! The whole concept of how the planets, galaxies, universe etc. came together by the puny little "force" of gravity has never made any sense to me. I'm looking forward to more reading on this!