Source of helices?

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Drethon

Source of helices?

Unread post by Drethon » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:07 am

This may be taking too many simple ideas and piecing them together but I thought I'd throw the idea out.

I was reading an article on taking some of the existing theories (quantum physics, euclidean geometry, etc) and combining them to simulate the fabric of space. The article was mildly interesting but for someone who doesn't have an in depth understanding of the different theories, most of it flew over my head like an SR-71...

One thing I did notice was how 2d triangles are used to map the surface of a 3d object. Basically using a 2d object to visualize 3d space. This is done by the following (see picture below for help, pardon the quality, this mouse is touchy and I only have paint). The triangles are attached along the y axis with the x axis forming the second axis along the 2d plane. The z axis is coming straight up out of the plane towards the viewer.

The 3d shape can be formed by rotating the triangles along the meeting of the triangles, the y axis for these two triangles. This rotation can be pictured similar to a bird flapping its wings (I'd post supporting images but am not that good in paint and google image search doesn't work on this network...).

Now take that triangle and make it 3d (a tetrahedron) along the z axis. These two tetrahedrons are constrained along y and z axes from rotating but are capable of rotating along the x axis. If a string of tetrahedrons are strung together along the nearest faces (forming sort of a cone shape) but each one along the line is rotated 30 (or 60?) degrees (don't have anything to test this with so pardon me if my mental picture is incorrect) a helix is formed. Doing the same thing in the reverse direction creates a reverse helix.

If I am correct about this, helices could be rather significant as the rotation of a 2d object can map the surface of a 3d object, could the rotation of a 3d object as I've specified map the surface of 4d space?

Just a harebrained thought.

seasmith

Re: Source of helices?

Unread post by seasmith » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:53 pm

~
Drethon,

A fantastic 4D visualization vieo has recently come available as FREE downloadable clips. The work is supported by some of the heavy-weight math brains of the age.

Under the catchall name of Fibronics; circles, spheres, helicee(s) and etc. are created in real time.

Also very helpfull in the visualization of "magnetospheres", atomic structures, sunspot pairs, homo-polar generators, and solar/galactic ,,, "disks.

http://www.dimensions-math.org/Dim_regarder_E_E.htm

s
~

kevin

Re: Source of helices?

Unread post by kevin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:29 pm

seasmith,
WHAT a link, merci beacoup.
Kevin