Earth as a sleazily bar

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

fosborn_

Earth as a sleazily bar

Unread post by fosborn_ » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:05 pm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 135930.htm
A team of scientists has announced the discovery of a 3.4 million-year-old partial foot from the Woranso-Mille area of the Afar region of Ethiopia. The fossil foot did not belong to a member of “Lucy’s” species, Australopithecus afarensis, the famous early human ancestor. Research on this new specimen indicates that more than one species of early human ancestor existed between 3 and 4 million years ago with different methods of locomotion.
I'm starting to wonder. In the movie star wars, when they have the bar scene with all the diverse aliens present. Has earth allways been one of those dives?
AlienDive.JPG
_1257834637.jpg
"Forget it, Jake; it's Chinatown"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown_(1974_film)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aifeXlnoqY
The most exciting phrase to hear in science,
the one that heralds new discoveries,
is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'
Isaac Asimov

Sparky

Re: Earth as a sleazily bar

Unread post by Sparky » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:12 am

Frank, We sure do have some strange life forms! I was listening to a radio interview where the guest was explaining how a small worm never dies. It divides and then regrows the missing part. Sounds like cell division on a huge scale.

Off to walmart....talk about a zoo!!!.. :D
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

fosborn_

Unread post by fosborn_ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:59 pm

Sparky wrote:Frank, We sure do have some strange life forms! I was listening to a radio interview where the guest was explaining how a small worm never dies. It divides and then regrows the missing part. Sounds like cell division on a huge scale.

Off to walmart....talk about a zoo!!!.. :D
Nice to know I'm not the only demented person on this board. ;)
Isaac Asimov

Goldminer

Unread post by Goldminer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:54 am

Sparky wrote:Frank, We sure do have some strange life forms! I was listening to a radio interview where the guest was explaining how a small worm never dies. It divides and then regrows the missing part. Sounds like cell division on a huge scale.

Off to Walmart....talk about a zoo!!!.. :D
Let them all know that if they become worms, they can live forever! Ohhh, maybe they are in the process?

Democracy is great Isn't it? These are the folks I am trying to out-vote! Maybe I should buy'em all a drink!
I sense a disturbance in the farce.

fosborn_

Unread post by fosborn_ » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Evidence That Human Ancestors Used Fire One Million Years Ago
ScienceDaily (Apr. 2, 2012) — An international team led by the University of Toronto and Hebrew University has identified the earliest known evidence of the use of fire by human ancestors. Microscopic traces of wood ash, alongside animal bones and stone tools, were found in a layer dated to one million years ago at the Wonderwerk Cave in South Africa.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 162548.htm

You really do need at lest a little light in a bar.
Isaac Asimov