Some questions

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Some questions

Unread postby CeeVee » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:59 pm

I am no scientist and my last formal education in electrical matters was over 50 years ago in high school, so apologies in advance if I’m asking dumb questions or getting terminology wrong.

So onto my questions:
What about transmission losses?
From what I remember you can’t transmit electrical current without incurring losses due to resistance. I could understand a superconducting pathway in the depths of space but what about round or through a star?

Is the flow in a Birkeland current in one direction only?
If we take the simple case of the Sun and Earth does the output node from the Sun link to the input node on Earth and the output node from the Earth link to the input node of the Sun?

What sort of diameter does a stream have in relation to the body it’s attached to?
Is the stream diameter smaller than the body diameter? Can it be equal or perhaps larger?

How does a stream traverse a body?
Does it form an envelope around the body? Is it a surface effect? Does it traverse through the body?

Are there any energy losses incurred in traversing a body?
This is similar to my first question but specifically aimed a Birkeland current moving through/round a body rather than through vacuum.

If we use the Solar system as an example, what are the Birkeland current nodes and linkages between the masses in the Solar System?

Is there a lower mass limit that is able to support a Birkeland node?
If not then would all the individual bodies within the solar system be connected?
Using a simplistic example would the Sun have nodes connecting it to both the Earth and Moon and would the Earth and Moon also be connected?

If we postulate a Birkeland current between say Earth and Mars, what happens to the current path as the two planets arrive on opposite sides of the Sun?

If all the bodies in the Solar System are connected by Birkeland currents the we would have all sorts of possible angular intersections between currents. What happens if two intersecting Birkeland currents are travelling in opposite approach each other? What happens if two Birkeland currents travelling in the same direction approach each other? What happens if two Birkeland currents travelling at right angles approach each other?

The implication, if the previous statement were true, would be that each node on a planetary body would have multiple Birkeland currents using it, entering/leaving for multiple destinations.

Those are the questions that spring to mind immediately after watching the videos, I’n sure I’ll have more as responses come in and I think about this a bit more.

Return to New Insights and Mad Ideas