Gravitational assists

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

redeye

Gravitational assists

Unread post by redeye » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:02 pm

I don't know if this has been raised before, so:
Apparently the impetus added by a gravitational assist is twice as great when traveling outwards from the Sun compared to the impetus added when travelling Sunwards.

I heard this on a radio program and I haven't been able to find any other data, although these might be of general interest:

gravity assist

flyby anomaly

Pioneer anomaly

Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley

kevin

Re: Gravitational assists

Unread post by kevin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Redeye,
Could I offer a different way of thinking about gravity?
Instead of accepting what You are told, think.
Think of a resonant field radiating outwards from each sphere, and that field been roughly equal to current maths regarding gravity, but obviously reversed, thus from the sun a powerfull field will PUSH onto the surface here, but this sphere will also emitt a resonant field outwards, so you have both a push into and a push outwards, in this planets case the net result is a PUSH towards the surface roughly that of current maths of gravity.
In the suns case though, the push towards the surface of the sun from all the other spheres will be a net outward push, hence all We see well above the surface of the sun.

The actual emittance of each sphere may well be determined by its density, that will determine the spheres resistance to the free flow of space through it from all directions at once.
Just My own personal thinking.
kevin

redeye

Re: Gravitational assists

Unread post by redeye » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:14 am

Thanks for the reply Kevin. This is a completely new way of thinking about an old problem, for me, which is just fantastic.

I like to think of things in the simplest terms possible, needs must, but I'm thinking not all issues can be simplified. An electric current will only flow between two potential differences in charge, the current being the effect and the "push to equalisation" being the cause. + and - simply denote the direction of flow and can be seen as points on a graph which shows the amount of charge in any given domain???

The problem I have is I cannot reconcile this with what I read about our Solar system, ie, the Sun exudes a net negative charge whilst the Earth has a net positive charge. I would expect this to be the other way around, so clearly I'm wrong somewhere (or everywhere)!

Your approach seems a wee bit more sensible.

Cheers!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."
Bob Marley