DAY LIGHT HOURS HAVE EXTENDED

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

WINDINWATERS

Re: DAY LIGHT HOURS HAVE EXTENDED

Unread post by WINDINWATERS » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:24 am

Hi Paul, The point I am making is that sunset still occurs at the time it is supposed to but check out the last light time which is extending further from when it is supposed to. Usually last light is 15-20 minutes after sunset but it is increasing now to where it is just more than an hour after the sunset time, there is still light coming up over the horizon in the south west. I have not checked the dawn lately but a couple of weeks ago it appeared to be equalizing with last light, both about the same length of extended time.
My sunset time is 6.07 pm Qld
Last light time is 6.30 pm
I am observing light until 7.07 pm in the south west corner of the horizon.

willendure

Unread post by willendure » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:31 am

It also depends on the angle of the trajectory of the sun as it rises and sets.

For example, in the summer and mid-latitude north or south the sun will set at a very gentle angle. This means that projected onto a vertical line across the horizon its vertical motion will be slow, so you would expect the light to fade more slowly after sun set. In the winter it may set at a steeper angle, so the light will fade quicker. It depends on latitude though, I think it further north and south latitudes light may fade more slowly in winter and summer and quicker around the equinoxes.

Close to the equator the sun sets very fast, you can see it moving relative to the horizon and when it goes below, darkness comes on very quickly.

willendure

Unread post by willendure » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:32 am

There must be a free computer simulator we could link to to try this out? One which will let you put in your position and time of year and see how the sun will move across the sky.

willendure

Unread post by willendure » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:34 am

WINDINWATERS wrote: I am observing light until 7.07 pm in the south west corner of the horizon.
Sun should be setting maybe a little north of due west for you at the moment? So light in the south west could be something else? The moon? Aurora Australis?

WINDINWATERS

Unread post by WINDINWATERS » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:19 am

It is definitely not the moon which is travelling along the ecliptic just slightly north of center of the sky, this has been going on for months and I m surprised nobody else has noticed.
I m on the tropic of Capricorn.
I first noticed the dawn being 40 minutes early a few months ago with the evening last light extending an extra 20 minutes.
I thought others might have noticed but it is developing further now.
I m very remote with a city of 30,000 about 60 km's to my south east, I can see a little light from the city on a very dark night but there is no other man made lighting to speak of.
Just thought others may have similar observations, very strange.